Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bleibenfreude

Poster: A snowHead
I'm amazed at the lengths so many people are going to to try to get/rescue their imminent ski holiday.
I love skiing and used to be addicted to holidays but have been incredibly lucky that the last thing I booked was Italy in 2020 the week before it closed down.

At that point, for the first time in 25 years I had no flights and no ferries/tunnels booked.

Since then I have made no attempts whatsoever to book a foreign holiday.

And TBH it's been absute bliss.....
not having to book/ juggle/ optimise everything to get the usual trips away without breaking the bank

No FOMO

Just chilled out climbing and cycling trips in the UK.

Anyone else breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't go to all the hassle this year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not quite. Had something easy at Christmas booked to Switzerland until their shortlived quarantine for UK residents blew that, so moved it to Easter (maybe) but damned glad I didn’t go with Plan B and redo Christmas to France and face sorting that out at short notice with more things committed by now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andorra says hi

Fabulous week of blue skies and perfect pistes

Really happy we left the confines of the UK
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nope. I would much prefer to continue to jump through the hoops to get some time on the slopes. Getting to the slopes is a pretty big task in the first place and the additional testing required is not such a big thing in the grand scheme of a ski trip so easily worth it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been in France for a week and had the best early season snow in a decade, with off-piste conditions which would have been counted as terrific no matter what time of the winter. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday offered my most enjoyable skiing for several years, with nice snow, fresh tracks and blue sky.

Couldn't be happier that I made the effort to navigate the ever-changing rules to get out here, especially with today's disappointing news. It's always worth it...

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, Yes, and thrice Yes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Folks - given what has happened today and how disappointed a lot of people are, might I suggest that it is hard to post that you are enjoying great conditions now without it sounding like gloating?

I'm normally very happy to see other people enjoying themselves but today that is really hard.

The shoe was on the other foot this time last year and I kept diplomatically quiet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
Folks - given what has happened today and how disappointed a lot of people are, might I suggest that it is hard to post that you are enjoying great conditions now without it sounding like gloating?
Understand what you're saying, but I think this thread is different. Like many others I've been affected by today's announcement by the French government as my girlfriend is not able to fly out to join me on Sunday, so I'm heading back to the UK early having abandoned our Christmas plans. It took some effort to get out here last week, and I'm simply providing a counterpoint to the opinion that it's not worth the effort to battle through the Covid bureaucracy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
Been in France for a week and had the best early season snow in a decade, with off-piste conditions which would have been counted as terrific no matter what time of the winter. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday offered my most enjoyable skiing for several years, with nice snow, fresh tracks and blue sky.

Couldn't be happier that I made the effort to navigate the ever-changing rules to get out here, especially with today's disappointing news. It's always worth it...

Looks amazing Rob, I love Les Arcs and it looks perfect there, powder, sun, quiet slopes...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TheGeneralist wrote:

Anyone else breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't go to all the hassle this year?

it is more meh

I had a flight to Innsbruck cancelled.
Had to cancel my hotel.
Rebooked to Salzburg & booked a different resort.
Then that flight got cancelled.
Managed to rebook the flight elsewhere & then Austria went into full lockdown.
I looked at other options inc. Italy & was a whisker away from booking for last Monday.
However the changes in tests (more so the return PCR) would have caused havoc as I am due in the office on Tuesday & probably would had to quarantine instead.
I wish I did now, as I don't think the office will be open on Tuesday now! More annoyingly it seems I have drawn the short straw & on standby all over Xmas.

The hassle to go would have been worth it. The hassle when I return would not!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get a bit of what @jedster says but on balance I think @rob@rar's post is a quite poignant response to the OP's original question and demonstrates exactly why many of us are still battling to try and get out despite the extraordinary level of faffage and uncertainty.

I had similar in August going to Jamaica, the changes, the red list, the testing regime (both ways), it was mooted to maybe go red whilst we were out there, but thankfully it didn't and once we got there all the perseverance paid off and we had a fantastic holiday and gave the kids (and ourselves) some amazing experiences. All the juggling turned out to be worthwhile. To the OP, I think the juggling is even worse now, but I know if we make it, we'll have an amazing well earned time on the mountain, and if we get conditions half as good as @rob@rar's photo it'll be the icing on the cake. Seeing it makes more determined not to be beaten and to do my damndest to get out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

on balance I think @rob@rar's post is a quite poignant response to the OP's original question and demonstrates exactly why many of us are still battling to try and get out

Yep. I think you're right.
What I find intriguing is how little impact it has on me at this time. Normally I'd be desperate to get out there and experience the same. But I'm not.
Thinking about it more, I think the reason is that it's not within my grasp. Even if I could be arsed playing the game and trying to get it sorted it would need the missus to also give it the green light, which ain't going to happen.

But either way, it's so surprising how ambivalent I am about it. I'm intrigued to see if that ambivalence persists to half term and the ( vastly more difficult) task of making a ski trip to Scotland work Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Believe me I never need reminding why getting to the mountains is a good thing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The OP may be trying to piece together a feeble silver-lining to a huge black cloud.
I don't see the mileage in shredding it
Not today
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But either way, it's so surprising how ambivalent I am about it. I'm intrigued to see if that ambivalence persists to half term and the ( vastly more difficult) task of making a ski trip to Scotland work

I'm not ambivalent but I am resigned. Last year I pulled out the stops to get to Switzerland for a long weekend. It turned into a bit of a nightmare getting home but objectively it was still worth it for the skiing.
Afterwards though I felt a little uncomfortable about it - I knew I was chancing my arm a bit, complying with the letter but not the spirit of the rules (and indeed bending the swiss ones on the way home albeit with the blessing of the FO travel help line).
I'm going to be grown up about things this year.
Well try.
Toys may be out of the pram if February doesn't happen (which I fear is rather likely).
ski holidays
I agree with @TheGeneralist, last season and this it's just been too much hassle to plan anything and I'm starting to not particularly care about being unable to go.

A combination of aging, minor injuries and a lot of past ski miles means it won't be a big deal for me if I don't ski again.

God knows what I'll do with my house in a third division French ski resort! Maybe by next summer things will be easier but we've said that before...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy