Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest travel rules for Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
TheGeneralist wrote:
Zikimo
Many thanks for posting that link and info. Me and the missus are disagreeing about the detail on our 14 year old son, who got covid 7 months ago and was vaccinated 2 weeks ago ( singular)
She said he can't get a green pass as he's only got a single vaccine, whereas continentals require 2 for kids. I don't think that is the case, but can't find that level of info.
Also not clear how to get his vaccine proof if under 16s can't do it on the App

I'll keep looking, but if you know in the meantime then perhaps you could point me in the direction.

To be clear.
1. Your son can enter Italy if you (the parents) have been fully vaccinated (at least two doses) with the last dose within the last 6 months. As he is under 18 he "inherits" the vaccine status of the parents, so not required to self-isolate on entering Italy.
2. Your son will not qualify for the Super Green Pass as he has not completed the vaccination cycle and his recovery from Covid is more than 6 months ago. He will therefore not be able to access hotels, restaurants or public transport (which includes ski lifts).

Point 2 is a little more complex as for Italians there is an exception for the first dose, where the Super Green Pass is valid from day 15 after the first dose until the scheduled date of the second dose.
https://www.dgc.gov.it/web/faq.html#gpr
This wording is not included in the advice for visitors and I have not tested it. I suggest that you download the VerificaC19 app to your phone, that is the official app used in Italy to scan QR codes and check validity. It is in Italian but you should be able to work it out (message me if you are struggling). You need to select "VERIFICA RAFFORZATA" from the drop down menu at the bottom, that is the option for the Super Green Pass. Then hit the "SCANSIONA IL QR CODE" and scan the QR code for your son's vaccine. If it gives a green tick you are good to go. BUT you may well have problems with airlines as they all state you must have completed the vaccine cycle (2 doses) with last one more than 14 days ago and less than 6 months ago.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TheGeneralist, did you get a chance to test based on my post above?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My 14yo has set up the NHS app and got her double vax Covid Travel Pass with its QR codes.

I tested the 2/2 QR code using VerificaC19 and gets the green tick on the Rafforzata test setting, so Super Green is go!! Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zikomo. not yet, been painting the hall rolling eyes
But will try it out. Looks like the key bit of info I got wrong was I didn't realise that UK had actually introduced second jabs for kids. I feel very silly.

and really appreciate your help

cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TheGeneralist wrote:
Zikomo. not yet, been painting the hall rolling eyes
But will try it out. Looks like the key bit of info I got wrong was I didn't realise that UK had actually introduced second jabs for kids. I feel very silly.

and really appreciate your help

cheers

That came in just before Xmas, but you still had to wait 12 weeks from the first jab in most places, though some on here reported getting them with an 8 week interval.

It might be cutting it fine to get the Covid Pass generated, but can you get the second jab this week at a walk-in? If you got it tomorrow or Monday, it might appear on the NHS app by the end of the week?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only git the first jab 2 weeks ago Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TheGeneralist wrote:
Only git the first jab 2 weeks ago Embarassed

Oh sorry, missed that point! Embarassed

Zikimo has pointed out the pitfalls, he won't get a Super Green to access ski lifts, unless that exemption for those awaiting a second dose applies to visitors.

Then there's the issue of getting an airline to carry him.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
@dklemm, Could not find anywhere that would do winter tyres for a 9 seater van, so will just have to live with it. And need the big van as there are 6 of us with own kit.

99 times out of a hundred it will be ok on summer tyres. At least as going to Champoluc so a good road most of the way.

Interested in what @HugoC, comes back with by way of example. Always better to be prepared for the worst.

I've never had any issues with car hire in Italy. The excesses have crept up over the years, just make sure you have some excess insurance and you can refuse theirs at the desk.

I've always had a vehicle with summer tyres and a set of unused chains in the boot. Once had a bit of an issue getting a car out of a driveway in Selva one snowy March, but once on the gritted ploughed roads it was fine. Like you say 99 times out of 100 you'll be OK on summers.

I was given a 9 seater diesel Transit one year at Linate as they had run out of the compact SUVs I had booked. Only 4 of us, but was great for chucking the gear in the back! I only paid about £130 for a vehicle that is usually £400-500. Felt like we were going on a proper road trip in that big van! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TheGeneralist, I hope this works for you. Also it may prove very helpful for others if you could test if you are able to get a green tick for your son. I have been collating information for Italy and trying to be as helpful as I can, as I have pretty decent Italian. I don't know anyone else in your particular circumstance though.

My position is that if you get a green tick from VerificaC19 (selecting the VERIFICA RAFFORZATA option), they you should be ok to travel regardless of the advice posted by the airlines. Not least as your son qualifies for entry to Italy regardless of vaccine status so long as you have completed the vaccination cycle with the last dose less than 6 months ago. You may have to argue this with the airline and if so let me know and I will do what I can to help. For sure, once in Italy, it is the VerificaC19 app that will be used to check if he qualifies for the Super Green Pass.

Good luck! And let us know how you get on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bella2015, Hi. As you started this thread, do you think it would be a good idea to have an updated first post that lays out an up to date summary of the current rules for Italy? I am happy to help with that summary as I have spent quite a bit of time digging into this, and answering questions from others. Let me know!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zikomo,
judging by your posts you sound more organised than us.
things we have learnt over many years of italian car hire.

1 NEVER use sicily by car, we normally use hertz or laucato i'm sure avis will be fine.

2 If you're hiring anything fancy you must have a credit car with plenty of credit or take a second.

3. if you're renting a diesel car, then you need the additive to stop it freezing, but it from the hire company as you will have more proof, if not buy some at the foot of the mountains and keep the reciept. We had some, from the the car company but they just gave it to us, as the car wasnt ready. we now always get a recipt.

4 and if you have used the company that insures your excess, and you have a scratch make sure you take your own photos and don't rely on the ones from the hire company (they won;t accept the claim)

5. all of the above i'm sure could be avoided if we read and understood, everything put under our noses to sign, but we don't read it (i don;t think most people do) and so we have a litany of expensive and stressful learning experiences to draw on.

I hope that helps
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HugoC, Thanks. Sounds the same as hiring a car anywhere tbh. Not sure why Italy is any different. I have hired many, many times in Italy with no problems at all.

Diesel waxing in winter can be a problem, and unlikely that the fuel in Milan will be suitable for the mountains. If I will not have indoor parking I always have some additive just in case.

Interested in which excess insurer did not accept your claim. And exactly what the situation was. Lots of us here use excess insurance so useful to know good and bad experiences.

Bit of thread drift so maybe PM me rather than posting here?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Never used SicilybyCar, never been to Sicily either, but it sounds like a stupid name for a car hire company in other parts of Italy. Maybe they do good business fleecing Sicilian Americans coming back to visit the old country?? Shocked I've had cars from Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Locauto and their associated brands.

2. Never hired anything fancy! Laughing

3. Always stuck the winter fuel additive into Diesels. Been offered petrols fairly often if the agent notices where I'm going.

4. Thanks for heads-up. Thankfully no scrapes or incidents so far. I guess that's where it gets messy with car hire companies.

5. It would take the entire holiday to read the small print on a car rental contract! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If hiring from Avis, do join Avis Preferred - it's free and speeds things up with everything ready and waiting, we've found, including telling you the exact car that is waiting for you. It's been really useful on our recent trips to Austria and Italy. Also, there is a quicker dedicated desk at the airports.

As an aside, if you want snow tyres, booking a group 'N' car with Avis guarantees snow tyres in Italy; also (at Turin anyway) they have diesel Alpine additive in the cupboard behind the desk - just ask them and they'll give you a bottle.

No other link to Avis other than a customer. We only now use Avis/Hertz/Sixt as by the time extras area added, there isn't a huge difference in prices at times.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ptex, Helpful information for all. Free to join all the loyalty schemes for car hire and a no brainier. When we go to the states every autumn there is no need to even go to the desk with Avis Preferred. Just walk straight to the parking and pick a vehicle. Not quite like that in Europe but still a big benefit.

Group N unfortunately does not include 9 seaters which we need as a family of 6 with a lot of kit. But good to know!
latest report
Anyone got any feelers as to if Italy will follow France on no entry requirements other than triple jabbed, I.e. no pre lateral flow tests?
snow report
@twoodwar, I have no feelers but given they just announced that from Friday masks are not required in open spaces, but are still required indoors and there is no mention of changes to entry requirements it doesn’t seem imminent.
ski holidays
richb67 wrote:
@twoodwar, I have no feelers but given they just announced that from Friday masks are not required in open spaces, but are still required indoors and there is no mention of changes to entry requirements it doesn’t seem imminent.

Re the masks, good news for HT skiers! snowHead

I presume that means you don't have to wear them whilst skiing or on open lifts, just on the enclosed ones. And only when entering mountain restaurants, but not on the outside terrace??

Is it still FFP2 for the flights? I bought a box off Amazon for the family.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 8-02-22 21:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
Anyone got any feelers as to if Italy will follow France on no entry requirements other than triple jabbed, I.e. no pre lateral flow tests?

15th March date keeps getting mentioned in that context for List D countries...or is that D-list!! Laughing
snow report
luigi wrote:
twoodwar wrote:

15th March date keeps getting mentioned in that context for List D countries...or is that D-list!! Laughing

Typically, sounds about right as we’re out there again the week before rolling eyes
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
richb67 wrote:

Re the masks, good news for HT skiers! snowHead

I presume that means you don't have to wear them whilst skiing or on open lifts, just on the enclosed ones. And only when entering mountain restaurants, but not on the outside terrace??

Is it still FFP2 for the flights? I bought a box off Amazon for the family.

Literally announced this pm, details should filter through but I assume same as you, ie it’s just enclosed lifts from this weekend.

I didn’t see anything about transportation.
ski holidays
richb67 wrote:

I didn’t see anything about transportation.

No doubt Ryanair will be selling FFP2s to passengers that haven't got them for £10 a go. If I undercut them at £5, I could end up getting my flights paid for!! Cool Laughing
snow report
@zikomo, Thanks for sharing details of checking QR codes. Just tried for my 13 year old and both her recovery (positive PCR mid October) and 1st vacation from mid Jan are giving a green tick which is reassuring as we’ll be in the Dolomites at half term.
For me only the booster and recovery QR codes give a tick.
snow report
@luigi, that would be about right as we travel on the 13th Evil or Very Mad
latest report
@simonbaddeley, Thanks, and great that you have confirmation that you are all good to go!

It is always only the QR code for the last vaccination that you received that will work for the Super Green Pass, so always use the one from your booster.

For your 13 year old I would use the QR code from her recovery rather than from the vaccine. The first vaccine is valid from 14 days after it "until the scheduled date for the second vaccine". But this is ill-defined, I cannot find anywhere where it states exactly how long the first vaccine remains valid for. But so long as she has proof of recovery from less than 6 months ago, just use that.

If you get any nonsense from your airline about your 13 year old only having one vaccine be firm as:
1. She is entitled to enter Italy with no restrictions without any vaccination or proof of recovery at all, as you are fully vaccinated
2. You can prove recovery within 6 months
3. She gets the green tick on VerificaC19

To be fair, while some of the information airlines have posted online seems inaccurate I am sure there will not be a problem in practice. Your QR codes will give a green tick, and that is all anyone needs to see. Indeed it is all the information they will get if they are using VerificaC19 as it does not display any information about status just whether you pass or fail.

To be clear you only ever need one QR code, any others you have are irrelevant, and it is always the QR code for your most recent vaccination that you use.
ski holidays
Just booked for Dolomites in March- flying via Innsbruck.

On Crystal website it says your NHS vaccine certificate is your green pass- so is that what we have to show or is there an actual app or somewhere we have to register our vaccines to get an actual green pass?

So then just have to organise tests - how long generally are people taking their lfts pre fight? Are there any delays in getting results etc. group of 3 driving down from Fife to Manchester on the Friday afternoon- I was going to suggest we all did lft before getting in car just in case 1 person positive but then that’s cutting it fine for entering Italy from Austria next day in case of delay - so possibly best go for pcr which can be done 48 hours ahead- any downside to doing a pcr over lft apart from cost?

Would be good if Italy scrapped testing before then
ski holidays
@MCL, your NHS pass is all you need. Use the QR code for your last vaccination as that is the only one that counts. You can use the NHS Scotland COVID Status app if you want something on your phone. There is an option within it to select International Travel. Note it only works with a data connection so take a screen shot of the QR code. I have saved mine on the Home Screen of my phone for convenience.

Note you need proof of negative LFD test within 24 hours of ARRIVAL in Italy so time it to ensure that. Randox came back almost instantly when I did one. Not sure what supplier you are using for the tests. And no you can’t use free NHS ones!
snow report
@MCL, maybe do a free NHS test before getting in the car? That way you know you are clear. Do the paid for one with certificate 24 hours before you are due to arrive in Italy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zikomo, thanks that's good to know we've all got the NHS Scotland App- I thought I was missing something as the Green pass sounded like it was something you actually had to get Very Happy

yes good plan to do the free NHS before drive down and then looks like do test just before go to bed in case of delays (I've told my family we'll be staying with that they need to do a test before we arrive too- a bit cheeky but don't want to get so close and then show positive last minute Toofy Grin )

Haven't thought of which test yet- have heard Randox mentioned a fair bit so will probably order up some of them
latest report
@MCL, great and hope you have a good time! I read your story to my wife tonight to distract her from complaining that I have the ski table and mess in the kitchen as too cold in the garage. Reminded us of many drives from Aberdeen to Manchester or Birmingham for a bargain last minute ski trip when we were young and stupid. And 2 years we did it from Thurso!

Thanks for the distraction! And happy to help with all things Italian.
snow conditions
@zikomo, wow that's a drive from Thurso!

Seems like Crystal have stopped the saturday flights to Verona from Edinburgh hence the Manchester flight- certainly wasn't a bargain! rolling eyes (at least we have free accommodation and parking near the airport!)

We will have to have a ski waxing day soon too Very Happy
snow report
As from Friday 10th there is no longer a need to wear a mask in open spaces in Italy. I spoke with my instructor today (in Corvara) and he confirmed that from Friday masks are only needed on closed lifts.

Today we saw someone being spoken to in a lift queue (gondola) because they had a standard mask and not FFP2. We didn’t see if they were denied entry though. It’s rare to see a normal mask in resorts but they were more common in places we stopped on the way from the airport. (Supermarket etc)
snow report
richb67 wrote:
As from Friday 10th there is no longer a need to wear a mask in open spaces in Italy. I spoke with my instructor today (in Corvara) and he confirmed that from Friday masks are only needed on closed lifts.

Today we saw someone being spoken to in a lift queue (gondola) because they had a standard mask and not FFP2. We didn’t see if they were denied entry though. It’s rare to see a normal mask in resorts but they were more common in places we stopped on the way from the airport. (Supermarket etc)

This is all moving in the right direction!!!! Fingers crossed they follow the French and get rid of pointless lateral flows for the fully vaccinated before mid march Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
Not a terrible journey last night to Milan on the evening flight from Edinburgh.

Bag drop took about 40 mins. EasyJet checked Passenger Locator Form and test certificates. Did not ask for proof of vaccine at all.

No fast track security and only two lanes open so that took another 20 mins or so.

Immigration simply looked at passports and stamped them. Did not ask for anything else. We stayed at the Sheraton at Malpensa, they checked Super Green Pass. I used a screenshot of the QR code from NHS Scotland Covid Status App (option for international travel). Kids were not at the desk so used a print out from NHS website for them which was fine.

Long bus journey from aircraft, and baggage took ages. Skis arrived even later. We get into the room at 1240pm after landing at about 1110pm, hotel is attached to the terminal so that was not the delay!

Getting the boys up now, then picking up hire van and heading to Champoluc. Hope to be on the slopes for about 11am. Yay!
snow report
Wonderful! Have a great time Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
We had a similar experience at Verona this morning. Passport checks but no interest in vacc or test results.
ski holidays
My experience is Italy Passport control assumes you have all tests and certs otherwise you wouldn’t be allowed on the flight ….
latest report
At Manchester we were asked if we had everything, but weren't asked to show it. I think the problems you'd have in resort without the green pass are assumed to be incentive too.
snow report
Somebody help! I’m trying to fill out the plf. we flying to Innsbruck first thing tomorrow and getting a taxi to Corvara. I take it that the ground transport is therefore car…. Will departure country be UK or Austria? Puzzled
snow report
Hi all - looking for some help on which tests we need.

We are flying Manchester to Innsbruck next Sunday (20th), transiting straight to Italy. Some of our party are double-jabbed and not yet eligible for the booster.

I've checked on GOV UK, Austria.info and Austrian Embassy website and they all say we only need to adhere to Italy's entry rules when entering Austria and transiting:

Quote:

"for transit journey without a stopover, neither a pre-travel clearance nor proof of vaccination/past infection/negative test are required."

So this makes me think we should be fine to do a 24HR LFT as per Italy's rules. Has anyone here done this journey with just a LFT and can confirm this is definitely the case? We don't want to get to Manchester airport only to be turned away! Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy