Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest travel rules for Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
News from Brussels:

EU countries have agreed to make it easier for anyone with an EU Covid-19 certificate to travel within the bloc without having to face any further restrictions such as tests or quarantine.

That would mean those with an EU Covid certificate, which proves vaccination, recovery or a negative test would be allowed to travel freely within the EU or Schengen zone without the need for extra tests or quarantine, even if they were coming from a country with high Covid infection rates.

The recommendation is set to come into force on February 1st, but it is non-binding so individual EU countries would be free to impose whatever travel restrictions they wish if they feel the need.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am trying these out for the Monterosa trip in a few weeks -- very sturdy and do the job especially with the kids

https://helmy.shop/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
this might be useful for personal liability cover

Allianz wording on my Lloyds Gold Policy

Section 7 – Personal liability
What is covered
We will pay up to £2 million (inclusive of legal costs and
expenses) against any amount you become legally liable
to pay as compensation for any claim or series of claims
arising from any one event or source of original cause in
respect of accidental:
1. Bodily injury to or death of any person who is not in
your employment or who is not a person with whom
you are travelling or have arranged to travel with, a
relative or a member of your household.
2. Loss of or damage to property that does not belong to
and is neither in the charge of, nor under the control of
you, a relative, any person with whom you are travelling
or have arranged to travel with, anyone in your
employment or any member of your household other
than any temporary holiday accommodation occupied
(but not owned) by you

Then looking at the exclusions:

We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:

7. Your engagement in any sport (including winter sports)
or activity that is not in the list of covered Sports and
leisure activities on pages 31-33, unless you have
received our prior agreement in writing.

Then looking at the list of sports covered:

Winter sports
If you are taking part in any sport or activity not listed in this section, please contact us by visiting the Allianz Assistance Hub, emailing travelinfoUK@allianz.com or calling
UK +44 (0)345 850 5056 to see if you can be covered.
You are covered for taking part in the following winter sports activities for up to a maximum of 31 days in any calendar year:
• Alpine skiing
• Airboarding
• Big foot skiing
• Blade skating
• Cross country skiing***
• Dry slope skiing
• Glacier skiing/walking
• Husky dog sledding (organised, non-competitive and with
experienced local driver)
• Ice cricket (wearing appropriate batting pads/gloves/spiked
shoes)
• Ice fishing
• Ice go karting (within organisers guidelines)*
• Ice skating
• Ice windsurfing*
• Kick sledging
• Mono skiing
• Nordic skiing
• Ski biking*
• Ski blading
• Ski boarding
• Skidooing*
• Skiing (on-piste** and off piste***)
• Ski racing arranged by ski schools for their pupils
• Ski run walking
• Ski touring
• Sledging/Tobogganing
• Sleigh riding as a passenger (pulled by horse or reindeer)***
• Snow biking*
• Snow blading
• Snowboarding (on-piste** and off piste***)
• Snow bobbing
• Snowcat driving*
• Snow mobiling*
• Snow scooting*
• Snow shoe walking
• Snow tubing
• Tandem skiing
• Telemarking
• Winter walking (using crampons and ice picks only)

Examples of winter sports activities that are not covered:
• Bobsleighing
• Heli skiing
• Ice hockey
• Luging
• Use of skeletons
• Ski acrobatics
• Ski jumping

* No cover under Section 7 – Personal liability when taking part in these activities.
** A piste is a recognised and marked ski run within the resort boundaries.
*** Off-piste must be within the resort boundaries and following local ski patrol guidelines.

So, looking at the activities with an asterix, not covered for personal liability if you are:

Ice go karting*
Ice windsurfing*
Ski biking*
Skidooing*
Snow biking*
Snowcat driving*
Snow mobiling*
Snow scooting

I've said before on this subject that some activities are excluded from personal liability cover. Check your own individual policy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like I'll be leaving my skeleton at home this year Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homers double wrote:

It's a shame, but at least you'll be covered for ice cricket, which is surely all that anyone needs out of a winter holiday! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
homers double wrote:

You’re gonna be well floppy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As expected after the recommendation from EU yday:

https://www.thelocal.it/20220127/latest-italy-to-simplify-covid-travel-rules-for-eu-arrivals/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So wondering how this affects car journey to Italy via France over 2 days where we may also possibly choose to go via CH depending on weather/traffic?

Do we need 24hr LFT results to get into France initially, but then are we exempt for an Italy 24hr LFT as we're arriving from another EU country?

But if we go into CH then we need that valid Italy LFT again as coming in from a non EU country?!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's a link from the horse's mouth: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2022/01/25/covid-19-council-adopts-new-person-based-recommendation-on-free-movement-restrictions/

My understanding of the text below is that fully vaxxed (or recovered) UK travellers should be eligible for Schengen entry with no testing requirement as our NHS QR codes are compatible with the EU systems... What chance we don't have to do any pre-departure LFT/PCRs for 1/2 term? Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Travellers in possession of a valid EU digital COVID certificate should not be subject to additional restrictions to free movement.

A valid EU digital COVID certificate includes:

A vaccination certificate for a vaccine approved at European level if at least 14 days and no more than 270 days have passed since the last dose of the primary vaccination series or if the person has received a booster dose. Member states could also accept vaccination certificates for vaccines approved by national authorities or the WHO.
A negative PCR test result obtained no more than 72 hours before travel or a negative rapid antigen test obtained no more than 24 hours before travel.
A certificate of recovery indicating that no more than 180 days have passed since the date of the first positive test result.

Persons who are not in possession of an EU digital COVID certificate could be required to undergo a test prior to or no later than 24 hours after arrival.
Travellers with an essential function or need, cross-border commuters and children under 12 should be exempt from this requirement.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MHskier, CH is part of Schengen. So no need for test if coming from CH.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woosh wrote:
@MHskier, CH is part of Schengen. So no need for test if coming from CH.

I believe you are wrong - if you have been in the UK within 14 days of entering Italy you will have to have done a PCR/LFT within 48/24 hours.
Passenger locator form too.

Here is the relevant questionnaire from the Italian government

https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html

Things might change, they haven’t yet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@agw, The change is from 1th of February.

You might still have special rules for those coming from the UK. For everyone else in the EU/Schengen, you can drop the tests entering Italy as long as you are vaccinated according to the rules. Passanger locator will still probably be used.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, but in response to @MHskier, who is travelling to Italy via France (I’m assuming from the UK) then the test requirement still applies until the Italian government change the rules. I hope they do, of course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully the same rule is extended to UK arrivals, There is always a risk, though, that the EU wants to treat EU citizens differently/better than non-EU citizens. Another Brexit dividend is the political drive to demonstrate the benefits of being an EU citizen!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wowzers, we fly on 5th... Might hang on for a few more days to see if the rules on needing pre departure tests change. Literally gone from needing x3 tests a few weeks ago to possibly needing zero Puzzled Laughing
latest report
I ordered 6 tests for my lot last night! Was a bit concerned that capacity might be under strain because so many more people will try and get away for half-term so wanted to beat the rush. Might be a waste of money if the Italians play ball but better safe than sorry!
snow conditions
Yes Driving UK-france overnight-italy
ski holidays
@MHskier, That's what I'm doing in March ... might need to make sure I'm in Italy within 24 hours if rules say the same ... although risk of check at border must be v low.
ski holidays
While it would be nice if EU/Schengen would actually exist in reality, this EU Council recommendation is what it actually says... recommendation. Let's wait for these few more days if something will change, but in my mind recommendation is not obligatory and governments can still do whatever they wish, so I have bad feeling that even after 1.2. each country will have their own rules regardless of EU covid certificate. And until thic EU Council's recommendation will be enforced as rule, you will still need PCR or antigen test to enter Italy, regardless if fully vaccinated or recovered.
snow report
PBJ wrote:
@MHskier, That's what I'm doing in March ... might need to make sure I'm in Italy within 24 hours if rules say the same ... although risk of check at border must be v low.

There's a recent thread on here from a snowHead who drove to Italy via the Mont Blanc Tunnel and they were checking everybody - so I wouldn't risk it.
latest report
"Under a new decree signed by Health Minister Roberto Speranza late on Tuesday, “the ‘green pass’ will be sufficient for travellers coming from countries within the European Union” from next month."

@primoz, seems to me that this will be the rule from 1th of February in Italy.
snow report
Woosh wrote:
"Under a new decree signed by Health Minister Roberto Speranza late on Tuesday, “the ‘green pass’ will be sufficient for travellers coming from countries within the European Union” from next month."

@primoz, seems to me that this will be the rule from 1th of February in Italy.

For the nth time - no.

It's not a "rule".
ski holidays
@primoz, This is a thread about Italy - and the Italian government have already announced that they will follow the EU Council recommendation. The information posted regarding the rule change is therefore both appropriate and correct.

I agree there will likely be a bit of difference between countries, but the direction of travel is towards fewer restrictions and less testing with more focus on vaccination.

Hopefully Italy and others will extend this approach to countries outside of the EU, but that is far less certain.
ski holidays
@zikomo, I know it's about Italy, but link posted above with EU Council recommendation is EU wide. Yes I know Italy announced from 1.2. only EU certificate will be enough to enter Italy, and while I'm going to Italy week after that, Italy was never really concern for me. Antigen test is free here, so entering Italy was never much of an issue for me. 1min extra time on way home previous day and I'm good for Italy. Not to mention they don't have anything decent for skiing nearby. Austria on the other side with their retarded PCR test policy is something I wish it would change based on that "recommendation", so I'm more hoping for this "recommendation" to get rule and not just recommendation because then I could actually go skiing for a day to Austria. Now with 100eur PCR test, I'm certainly not going.
But then again, as I read this recommendation has exception, that countries can have their own rules for travel to and from dark red areas... which is currently more or less whole EU, so nothing changes... I guess rolling eyes
latest report
Yes - I should have reiterated that it's not a rule until the Italian government says it is.
Even so it doesn't yet mean that UK citizens will not need to supply evidence of a recent negative test.
IMO they should change their entry requirements because testing is now almost pointless for a fully vaccinated individual - fingers crossed, going to the Dolomites via Innsbruck in March. snowHead
latest report
Repeat post but might be of interest.

Final teenager got his second jab yesterday in Stirling drop-in centre. 3 days less than 12 weeks since his first jab. No problems or questions asked. The jab already shows online on NHS Scotland and can download the certificate showing both Jabs and QR codes.

I was going to take him on Sunday but noticed that pretty much all the airlines are showing incorrect requirements for entry to Italy. I checked Easyjet and it very clearly states that vaccination is only valid for entry if the course has been completed (i.e. 2 jabs) at least 14 days ago. BA shows the same. This is NOT true from my reading of the Italian regulations for Italy:
1. Minors can enter Italy without vaccination and without the need to quarantine so long as they are travelling with parents that are fully vaccinated. So teenagers can technically travel to Italy regardless of vaccine status - although they will not be able to do much once there if not fully vaccinated.
2. Vaccination is valid immediately after administration of the second jab. The 14 days refers to first jab, where it is considered valid 14 days after the first jab and until the appointment for a second dose.

The information is confusing and sometimes conflicted from the Italian Government, but it is very disappointing that airlines are adding to the confusion and imposing rules that are not based on the regulations.

We travel on Friday 11th to Italy, so getting the second dose last night means my 13 year old will be past the 14 day period avoiding any discussion or risk at check-in. For those who will be travelling on Saturday 12th in a similar position might be worth trying a drop-in centre today, or being prepared to argue at the airport!
latest report
Looking promising now that no test required to enter Italy for brits from 1st Feb?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/italy-to-ease-travel-rules-for-eu-citizens-from-february-1/

Still nervous as we fly 5th... Would you all still get an LFT just Incase?
snow report
Spike107 wrote:
Looking promising now that no test required to enter Italy for brits from 1st Feb?

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/italy-to-ease-travel-rules-for-eu-citizens-from-february-1/

Still nervous as we fly 5th... Would you all still get an LFT just Incase?

Please not that this only applies to EU citizens, and therefore definitely NOT Brits (you noticed Brexit happened right?). So you will still need a LFT within 24 hours of travel or a PCR within 48 hours.

Lots of us are hoping that they extend it to the UK but I have not seen anything yet from Italy to suggest that they will do so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry yes I know we left EU, I meant hoping on 1st announcement they might also include us lot...
Then we have the worry of whether the airline requirements still need pre flight tests.
This happened to us in Sept last year to Portugal. No requirement for pre flight test on gov website to enter Portugal, but TUI had this requirement... So had to get tested at the airport for flight.
ski holidays
@Spike107, Here's hoping!
snow report
@Spike107, Visit the site linked by agw above (at 10.43 on Thursday) - but not until after the 1st of Feb! - to check the new rules.
For the sake of 12 - 15 quid, I would be buying a LFT
ski holidays
Just wondering if there’s any thoughts that Aosta would come out of orange status? Case rates are dropping and no increase in deaths it seems from a quick Google. I know it doesn’t stop super green status individuals doing anything but one notch from full stop on skiing makes me nervous !
snow report
Flew TUI from Gatwick to Verona today a 6:40 departure. Very smooth. We expected the worst so arrived earlier than usual at 3hrs before the flight to find virtually no queues. 20mins from arriving at the terminal to be sat having a coffee airside.

The only unexpected request was TUIs desire to see the details of both our booster and 2nd jabs.

Some of our group flew from Birmingham and evidently the queues were bad and at least one person from another group was denied boarding because they had tech issues and couldn’t show the right documents.

Some queues at Verona and they held us on the plane for 10 mins but only about 50 mins from touchdown to arriving at our bus. Just the old fashioned passport check, no need to show PLFs or green pass.

Now on our way to resort.

We used Chronomics for the LFT, results were returned within seconds but it was PITA to get the actual certificate as their website doesn’t work well with phones (android and iPhone users both had issues). Worked ok on desktop and iPad though.
snow conditions
Present entry rules for travellers to Italy (from the UK) have been extended until March 15th.

https://www.thelocal.it/20220131/how-do-italys-international-travel-rules-change-from-february-1st/
ski holidays
Oh well, will order the LFTs now then! Worth noting that the 24hr window for Italy is prior to time of entry, not time of departure as it is for France. Whether this is true in practice or not, I've no idea but better to be safe than sorry.
snow conditions
so can I just confirm the LTF has to be done within 24 hours of you flying ?
snow report
Oceanic wrote:
Present entry rules for travellers to Italy (from the UK) have been extended until March 15th.

https://www.thelocal.it/20220131/how-do-italys-international-travel-rules-change-from-february-1st/

As that website requires a subscription could you please quote what it says about travellers (not being EU citizens) entering Italy from another Schengen country?
snow conditions
Oceanic wrote:

Thanks. I have not seen any official update from the Italian government suggesting rules will change for UK travellers. That does not mean that it won't happen of course, and it would not surprise me if it did. For now the same rules apply so test before arrival for all UK travellers.
ski holidays
carla4221 wrote:
so can I just confirm the LTF has to be done within 24 hours of you flying ?

It’s within 24 hours of entry to Italy.
ski holidays
@carla4221, within 24hrs of you arriving. I would check your arrival time and work it back from there giving yourself a margin of error.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy