Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest travel rules for Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
It actually depends. The Italian app has a facility to download a long list of blacklisted certificates.

Whether hotel etc staff actually do that, and whether the NHS database links into that system, is a good question. I reckon the blacklist will be mostly fake certificates, which have an invalid certificate chain.

Some changes on the slopes since a month ago:

FFP2 are mandatory everywhere in the skiing areas, unless distancing can be maintained. In practice this means

- you can ski without a mask (but lots of people still wear them because they are clueless)
- if you don't wear anything on an open chairlift, you are very likely to get some verbal attacks by Italians (not by tourists); I suspect there has been a media campaign in Italy to encourage this. They don't "get" that open chairlifts are actually very safe
- in closed gondolas, you are expected to wear something (reasonable)
- wearing just a buff will keep the locals harrassing you on chairlifts
- there are fairly frequent excesses over masks; I was shouted at by one attendant when not wearing one getting into an empty gondola
- without FFP2 you will have hassle getting to restaurants etc
- there is plenty of stupidity e.g. solidly packing close to 100 people into one large gondola; barely standing room (whoever thought that was ok has no brain) and even if perhaps half were wearing FFP2, they won't be effective in such tight packing
- I wear FFP3 for the packed-out gondolas but generally avoid them (can't avoid the "experience" if going Cervinia to Zermatt)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So since cervinia is moving into the orange zone tomorrow, I'm struggling to find an up to date website that sets out exactly what this means, Apart from the lift company on Facebook encouraging people to buy lift passes.

If they were going to be shutting everything at 1800, I would have thought it would be a bit more newsworthy?

Or is it just the case that to do anything at all, you have to have the super green pass? Which is what I'm very much hoping!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MountainIdiot, This link was posted elsewhere recently. Apologies, I can’t remember who/where but it’s a quick help to see what’s what

https://italygreenpass.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/GREEN-PASS-REQUIREMENTS-JAN-10.pdf
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This, and the 3x worse gondola going to the Zermatt pass, is evidently ok Smile

https://imgur.com/XsDli6n
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:
@TheManOnTheBus, The Crystal Ski website has some good info

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/travel-with-confidence/entry-requirements/

Have a look at the travel requirements PDF

Thank you very much! That is great.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
neilkav wrote:
Little Angel
TheManOnTheBus wrote:
Hi all

We want to fly to Innsbruck and then get across to the Dolomites.

Italy doesn't require a PCR test (LFT will suffice).

Austria does require a PCR test but not if you are transitting and can prove that you are.

Has anyone done this and shown Austrian border guards proof - what sort of proof suffices? Email from hotel with booking confirmation?

Thanks!

I did try and start a thread on this but no traction!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158163#4907203

Hi we did exactly this today.

Booked with Crystal about 3 weeks ago after cancelling Austria as my 16 year old clearly could not get booster.

OMG what a nightmare BUT only with the terrible check in at Manchester. It is 100% clear from Austrian and Italian websites that if transiting (And can prove - printed version of Crystal booking conf) then DO NOT need to meet Austrian rules. So we did huge amount of research and correctly chose to do 24 hr LFT as fit to fly.

Did these with chronomics - awesome - email results within minutes. However even though I have an email from Crystal (TUI) stating that 24 hr LFT was fine, the check in people would not have it and were insisting on a 48 hour PCR - because in their words - “no no sir you’re wrong, you are flying to Austria and you need to meet Austrian rules”.

They simply would not have it - in the end even after showing them their own website, their own FAQ’s and my black and white email from Crystal, i kicked off badly and threatened to sue….The lady who had been insistent she couldn’t authorise it suddenly changed her mind. We were then quickly processed and got to security with 40 mins till flight.

Anyway we made it BUT big tip to anyone going into Innsbruck then transiting to Dolomites - get to airport early!!!!

Or just get a 48 hr PCR i suppose? The thing was how 100% insistent they were right and eventually conceded they hadn’t read their own FAQ.

So arrival in Innsbruck an absolute breeze - military guy stood prior to passport control - i said were transiting and showed him crystal booking - and that was that a straight through and passport stamped.

Did NOT ask to see EU PLF or test results!!!

Checked in at hotel after 2.5 hr transfer - again wonderful - passports and test results. Just awesome everywhere but blighty!!

Hotel Kolfuschgergof Colfosco - WOW what a place - sensational - and cannot wait to get out tomorrow in the sunshine and as I believe empty pistes.

Hope that helps some folks avoid the horrible situation we got into, good job we arrived and Manchester 2 hrs 45 ahead of flight time otherwise we would have missed it.

Cheers Neil.

Likewise. Thank you.

The reason I don't want to have to do a PCR is that I have just recovered from Covid (had to cancel my holiday last week - symptoms arrived overnight just before I flew. Thank God they arrived then and not when in resort).

PCRs I'm told can carry on being positive for a while after you are no longer unwell, so LTF test is what I want!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chuckles3,

Thanks, very useful table! Can't see any mention of times, so presumably things will just remain open to those with super green passes as before?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So basically, you can use the NHS COVID pass on the phone app and/or print outs of the 2D barcodes?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RichardB, yes

For ease of use (one click) I have downloaded the EU green pass app ; it is in English, can store more than one persons details, can verify codes with its 'scan' utility

https://greenpassapp.eu/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@albob, thanks, I got the app on my phone now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

This link was posted elsewhere recently. Apologies, I can’t remember who/where but it’s a quick help to see what’s what

https://italygreenpass.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/GREEN-PASS-REQUIREMENTS-JAN-10.pdf

There is a lot of old info kicking around when googling! I've seen everything from restaurants closing early to overnight curfews in my searching for rule in Orange zone.
The facts, as linked above, appear to be that going orange only affect locals who are not eligible for GP or SGP. Mention of shopping malls closing at weekends.
My only concern is the lift company (Cervinia) saying they will be limiting pass numbers. So do I buy a pass earlier than planned, which will probably not be refundable, given there is lots that could still go wrong?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MountainIdiot wrote:
@Chuckles3,

Thanks, very useful table! Can't see any mention of times, so presumably things will just remain open to those with super green passes as before?

I’m working on that assumption. If Aosta valley goes orange tomorrow, I’ll fire an email off to a local friend out there & see if I can clarify. If I hear back before I go I’ll let you know, otherwise I’ll report from Pila next Sunday & let you know whether I can get my dinner or not wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Stevens wrote:

- you can ski without a mask (but lots of people still wear them because they are clueless)
)

No it is because it saves fafing about all the time
Skiing today with mask no worse than waring a buff

Someone in a previous post recommended sewing buttons onto the ear flaps on helmets this works really well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing with a "medical" mask is nothing like with an FFP2. The latter is quite unpleasant; it gets in the way.

Also one is rebreathing one's exhaled air; more so with an FFP2 due to the volume inside it.

It doesn't bother me if somebody wants to ski with an FFP3 Smile But no way can anyone say there is a safety case for wearing a mask on the slope, or on an open chairlift (note Italy banned lowering the chairlift cover, which for a change *is* a very sensible thing.

There are helmets now with mask attachments Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Didn't claim there is any safety case for having them on
As said no worse than waring a buf
No big deal anyway
ski holidays
From thelocal.it today “ If a region becomes an orange zone, little changes for vaccinated people; most venues and activities will remain open and accessible to those with Italy’s ‘super green pass’ health certificate that shows the bearer is vaccinated against or recovered from Covid”

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-01-22 8:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Our children have both just had Covid and can't get their second jab in time for half term. We are booked to go to La Thuile, private companies are offering proof of recovery certificates. Are they enough? We can't one from the NHS so this our only hope really. Has anyone had any experience with these certificates, they are issued by the firm's that do the test certificates however they will not have a QR code that can be scanned. I would appreciate any help
latest report
Valle d’Aosta turning orange today.
latest report
New notice today on La Thuile website https://www.lathuile.it/en/ski_slopes.html - quota on lift passes due to orange zone. Guess similar might apply to all Aosta valley resorts.
ski holidays
This is helpful

https://www.italia.it/en/covid19
snow report
Only slightly worrying bit for tourists is -
Travel in your own vehicle to other Regions -
Allowed only for work, necessity, health or services that are not suspended but not available in your Municipality.
ski holidays
@scottishandy, Where are you getting this info from? I've just read through the info on the link kindly provided by @Chuckles3, and can't see anything about about travel in your own vehicle. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place?
snow report
Copy and pasted from Chuckles link. Did you switch to orange zone at the top?
This is however contrary to the table Chuckles posted yesterday which states that this rule is for non green pass holders but not for GP and SGP holders. Which is correct? I can't guess!!
snow report
scottishandy wrote:
Allowed only for work, necessity, health or services that are not suspended but not available in your Municipality.

Although if you think about it tourism / snow sport services are not suspended and you do have to travel to get to them.

I can't see this being a problem for anybody, even if this rule is active.
snow report
scottishandy wrote:

this applies to the unvaccinated only, untested and non-recovered only

I haven't looked at the link posted above but the version on the Italian government site is quite clear (in Italian wink ),
look under
"Spostamenti con mezzo proprio" (move with own transport)
then "Verso altre regioni/province autonome" (to other provinces)
you'll see that there is only one option which changes for orange (arancione) and that is for people without any type green pass.

https://www.governo.it/sites/governo.it/files/documenti/documenti/Notizie-allegati/tabella_attivita_consentite.pdf
snow conditions
Only slight concern for me is the restriction in the number of passes issued, though presumably day tickets will take the brunt of that, IE they will just shut the offices when the quota is reached?

pre order and click and collect from the official site (for cervinia) should ensure access to the slopes by essentially jumping the queue?

This is what they say on the cervinia site

"From next Monday (17th January 2022) Aosta Valley region will be classified, as a consequence of the current COVID health emergency, in the orange risk range.

In addition to the existing regulatory obligations regarding ski resorts, there will also be a limit to the number of accesses to the lifts, on the basis of regional provisions and protocols currently being approved.

Given the quotas currently estimated, at the moment there are no reservation obligations for holders of seasonal, non-consecutive multi-day or open date passes.

For all other types of tickets, only the purchase of the ski pass on the cervinia.it shop will guarantee access to the ski areas.

We remind you that the main sales channel is represented by the online shop and that the purchase at the ticket offices do not guarantee the availability of seats and will be limited to tickets not available online (discounted tickets)."

Due to fly out on the 28th, am currently trying to avoid going anywhere near anyone else right now!
snow report
I have just had mails back from both a Hotel and Ski Lift in Italy as follows:

If you have proof of recovery for your son that specifies he cannot get vaccinated because he had COVID, from your doctor, it is enough for us. However, in order to link the ski pass (every day) to the letter you must show it every day to the stewards at the entrance of the main lifts (Grostè, Pradalago, 5 Laghi, Spinale).

So in short Dr's letter proving super green pass status appears to accepted but in the absence of a QR code it needs to be shown, unfortunately, our GP/NHS in general won't give us one so we have to go to a private provider @ £99 each letter! rolling eyes
snow conditions
@scottishandy, I read ‘services that are not suspended’ to cover stuff like skiing - it reads as being suitably vague enough to be open to interpretation. I also think they’ve missed the bit about super green pass on this but too?

‘ Allowed only for work, necessity, health or services that are not suspended but not available in your Municipality.’
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had my booster jab. I read that it is valid 15 days after is has been administered, which would be the 1st Feb. My second dose was 14/06/2021 so I am within 270 days of that one but outside of the 180 day limit which will come into force on the 1st Feb in Italy for the Super Green Pass. I assume that I have just about squeaked in??

I have asked my GP for a proof of recovery letter as they can't get the Randox +ve Day 2 PCR result from before Christmas to link up with the NHS App, so hopefully that will come through. Alternatively, I have the PCR test result with my passport number on it which might be enough to get me waved through if additional proof is required. It's never easy this.......
snow report
@MountainIdiot, Two from our small group of 6 hadn’t pre booked passes with Crystal for our Pila trip this weekend, so they’ve ordered online today, just in case. They hadn’t announced restrictions - yet - but it seemed the most sensible thing to do after seeing what Cervina & La Thuile announced rather than draw up plans to share lift passes between us Confused

Ditto to the avoidance routine, roll on us getting back out there this weekend Very Happy
snow report
Maybe some good new in the pipeline "Italy to ‘reconsider’ tiered system of Covid risk zones" and rules “will be modified and relaxed very soon”

https://www.thelocal.it/20220117/italy-to-reconsider-tiered-system-of-covid-risk-zones/
snow conditions
A long shot - off to La Thuile next week, anyone know if skiing over to France/La Rosiere side is ok for Brits, do we need to fill out French paperwork etc ?
ski holidays
@Maddog1962, There are no borders in the EU zone, so shouldn't be a problem ::
latest report
Rolyberkin wrote:
I have just had mails back from both a Hotel and Ski Lift in Italy as follows:

If you have proof of recovery for your son that specifies he cannot get vaccinated because he had COVID, from your doctor, it is enough for us. However, in order to link the ski pass (every day) to the letter you must show it every day to the stewards at the entrance of the main lifts (Grostè, Pradalago, 5 Laghi, Spinale).

So in short Dr's letter proving super green pass status appears to accepted but in the absence of a QR code it needs to be shown, unfortunately, our GP/NHS in general won't give us one so we have to go to a private provider @ £99 each letter! rolling eyes

Private provider letters do not contain an EU compatible QR code so I think it's a waste of money to get a private certificate? I was under the impression that evidence of positive test more than 11 but less than 4 months (maybe, might be making that up) from doctor / NHS record (ideal if in the app) is acceptable as evidence of recovery in itself and a private certificate makes no difference.
latest report
Maddog1962 wrote:
A long shot - off to La Thuile next week, anyone know if skiing over to France/La Rosiere side is ok for Brits, do we need to fill out French paperwork etc ?

You can freely ski between the two resorts, just enjoy the two drag lifts returning to LT Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I’m heading to Sauze from Scotland 1st week of Feb with Crystal. I’ve filled in EPLF, have lateral flow tests booked (fit to fly and uk day 2 return), have NHS certificate of vaccination (with QR codes) and a supply of FFP2 masks (phew ....... Laughing ). So I think I’ve got most of the additional Covid stuff I need (if you think I’ve missed something let me know)

However I can’t find out how to get a super green pass. Can anyone advise?

Also, if anyone’s in Sauze the first week of Feb let me know. I’m a good piste skier (knees won’t handle off piste) and happy to meet up with others for a few runs or a beer or two.
latest report
Quote:

However I can’t find out how to get a super green pass. Can anyone advise?

Your proof of vaccination is your SGP. The Italians (lift company, restaurants etc etc) will scan your QR code, you'll get a green tick and that's it.
You can download verificaC19 app to confirm for yourself that your QR code is valid - that is the app they will use in Italy to scan you.
ski holidays
Quote:

Your proof of vaccination is your SGP.

So as long as I have my NHS QR code I'm good? That's good to hear.

PS - I tried to download the app but it wouldn't scan a code on my phone.
snow report
@PGammage, I’m in Selva just now. Here you use the ski area app on your phone to scan the QR code from your NHS Scotland Covid App. You scan it once at the start of your holiday and then re validate every morning just by pressing a button on the app. It’s a doddle. Couple of things worth noting: the QR code you need to scan is the one for your last jag on the international bit of the NHS app. If you’re using an iPhone check that it’s set to keep photos in the phone memory rather than offloading to the cloud. For some reason having my photo of my QR code on the cloud made the ski app ask for a fresh photo every day.
latest report
To late for @Valkyrie - but print out your QR code ; in these situations, paper is King !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy