Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest travel rules for Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
Here https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/faq it states

Where and how can I activate my skipass?
Skipasses can be activated in the following ways:

Activation on our website: In the activation portal, enter your the skipass number and upload the QR code of the green pass, either as a photo or as a file from the memory of your mobile phone or PC. Data will not be saved. To the activation portal

Activation in the Dolomiti Superski app: Download the app from the Play Store or App Store and create a profile. You will receive a confirmation email with a link to activate. Log in to your profile with the mail address and the password you entered during the registration process. In the green pass section (green button with QR code on the home screen) enter your skipass details and make sure they are correct, then upload the EU QR code from your mobile phone memory or directly with your camera. Likewise, the skipasses of your family members can be activated daily prom your profile. Download the instructions

Activation at our points of sale: validate the QR code every day at our points of sale

The daily ticket office visit appears to be only the 3rd option. It would indeed be monumentally stupid. Why daily ? It is stupid too. Who thought of doing that?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Why daily ?

In saw it stated that it's because Italy's privacy laws don't allow them to store medical data - i.e. Your vaccine status. So, they just validate it each time without storing the data.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petes wrote:
Quote:

Why daily ?

I saw it stated that it's because Italy's privacy laws don't allow them to store medical data - i.e. Your vaccine status. So, they just validate it each time without storing the data.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
petes wrote:
Quote:

Why daily ?

In saw it stated that it's because Italy's privacy laws don't allow them to store medical data - i.e. Your vaccine status. So, they just validate it each time without storing the data.

I spend a lot of time considering privacy laws as an in house lawyer and I really dount that's the reason. No need to store medical data itself. You just need to link the validation length to the length of the purchased skipass. No difference between validating the pass for 1 day or for 6 days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this daily activation of your ski pass across all areas of italy, or just certain ones? We're off to Cervinia in 10 days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had post Xmas week in Austria. I bought my ski pass at the desk and showed my proof of vaccination once and wasn't asked again for the rest of week, my mate who bought his at the self service machine had to show his proof every day at the barrier, it was scanned by the lift operator then he was good for that day.
I thought the difference was maybe less opportunity buy a pass for someone if unvaccinated at the desks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Handy Turnip, I got the info from an email sent by Dolomitie website. It applies to all areas covered by their passes.

Not sure about other areas, will have to check individually. As stated by someone previousy, they don't all have the finance for the same infrastructure, so may have a different procedure.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am going to Cervinia soon too. If the daily validation needs a website or an app, that's not a big deal.

Anyway, I phoned the number here
https://www.cervinia.it/en/eventi/questanno-lo-skipass-si-acquista-online
just now and checked. They do NOT need daily validation if you buy a multi day ski pass.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I spend a lot of time considering privacy laws as an in house lawyer and I really dount that's the reason. No need to store medical data itself. You just need to link the validation length to the length of the purchased skipass. No difference between validating the pass for 1 day or for 6 days.

I agree that it sounds weak - just that that was the reason they give.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @brianatab, @Peter Stevens! Good to know!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BTW, there's a link to a document on the Dolomiti website which lists the countries which are covered by compatibility with the EU QR code system - https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/dam/jcr:827da198-1e92-4e41-9c1f-06588c1f6a40/DSS%20Green%20Pass%20-%20ENG.pdf
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Stevens wrote:
I am going to Cervinia soon too. If the daily validation needs a website or an app, that's not a big deal.

Anyway, I phoned the number here
https://www.cervinia.it/en/eventi/questanno-lo-skipass-si-acquista-online
just now and checked. They do NOT need daily validation if you buy a multi day ski pass.

Uh? But in an earlier post you said you were in Cervina two weeks ago. Did you not discover then what the procedure was????
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Two weeks ago is not today Smile

Back then I had not heard of any daily validation in Cervinia. Bought the lift pass in the afternoon of day of arrival, and skied for 5 days or so.

Separately, I have just been informed by a local friend that if the plastic card has the 23 digit number at the bottom, (01-1614-2029... on my last one) you can recharge it online too, even though an expiry date is printed on the front.

You can supposedly also recharge (in the ticket office, or online) an old card, if it has that number.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petes wrote:
Quote:

Why daily ?

I work in IT within Pharma. I don't want too hijack the thread but unfortunately it's more complex than just holding an expiry date.

boring IT stuff below

e.g.
The validity date is not fixed as policy is changing e.g. tomorrow the Italian government could change the validity since last vaccination from 270 days to 180 days, or the validity period from a recovery from 180 days to 150 days if they feel like it, or change the validity based upon the type of vaccine received, the persons age etc

The type of pass required is not fixed e.g. maybe a Supergreen pass will be required on all lifts, or on none

So you therefore need to hold a lot more data than just an expiry data e.g. their contact details, their type of pass, when they were vaccinated, the type of vaccine, if they had covid and when they recovered, if they are exempt for some reason etc etc etc. Your CRM system suddenly became a system holding personal medical data and you opened up a massive can of worms re processes, encryption, security etc. (consider that the same system also needs to cover season passes not just 6 day skiing tourists)

You would also need a way for end users to update this data.

So the compromise is to ask the question "is this person's green pass valid for today?" it's a yes or no answer with no medical rationale behind it (from the systems perspective).

Personally I'm happy with this as it reduces the chance of faffing around with QR codes on a cold snowy day !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@richb67 - actually not boring (for at least). Really good explanation. Thanks.
latest report
@richb67, Thanks for the explanation. However, surely you'd agreed that daily revalidation of Green Pass data as with Dolomiti Superski is extreme overkill? Why not give a limited ticket validation period of (say) 1 week (or less if the person's Green Pass is projected to run out sooner), only store that date on Superski servers (no medical data), if Italian Gov changes the validity periods without warning then DS makes everyone revalidate, customers would be no worse off than they are on an every day basis now Puzzled
latest report
@iblair, thanks for the confirmation. That’s what I was afraid of. Here’s hoping our US QR codes become compatible with the EUs soon. Seems like it should be a simple fix but what do I know? Puzzled
snow report
The email from Dolomitie, which has been posted somewhere, explained the data protection reasons for not being able to store the QR codes on the lift pass.

Basically, the system was only set up for you tourism purposes, allowing you to sign up and receive information. You only provide name, (optional) email and telephone details so that they can send you info. You had an option to add your lift pass, and the app would keep records of your skiing routes for you. These were deleted at the end of the season.

The legal Data protection requirements to store personal details relating to health records opens a whole new can of worms that they didn't have the time or resources to even start looking at.

The easy compromise of an app already in general use for checking vaccination status, just reading selected parts of a QR code,(Basically, name and date of vacination) comparing them to allowed parameters (that could be changed daily if required), then just saying yes or no to another app was a simple solution to what could have been a massive problem.

@DidierCouch, The reason it is done daily is for simplicity. They can change parameters, without the complexity of multiple combinations, where problems can occur. If they wished, they could exclude entire batches of codes at the press of a button (eg UK) if the rules change for that one Country overnight.
snow conditions
DidierCouch wrote:
@richb67, Thanks for the explanation. However, surely you'd agreed that daily revalidation of Green Pass data as with Dolomiti Superski is extreme overkill? Why not give a limited ticket validation period of (say) 1 week (or less if the person's Green Pass is projected to run out sooner), only store that date on Superski servers (no medical data), if Italian Gov changes the validity periods without warning then DS makes everyone revalidate, customers would be no worse off than they are on an every day basis now Puzzled

well of course personally for me we're going to DSK for 2 weeks so a 2 week single validation would be good Very Happy

I agree a week would seem pragmatic but I assume they were worried about rules changing at short notice and being held liable for something. From a system perspective you also have to build in a new module for managing that. From a business perspective you have to be willing to risk angry customers who didn't check their email and found the lift wouldn't let them on after they spend the night in a rifugio and are trying to get up a chair lift in Cinque Torri (example for dramatic affect only!)

It's all a trade off, no solution is perfect.

Also, they had limited time so often the best way to deliver these projects is to agree a minimum viable product and focus 100% on this. I think they've achieved a viable product. Do I wish I could upload my greenpass and let the system take care of everything ? well yes.

Overall I'm just happy to be able to ski and not have to take my gloves off at every damn gondola (fingers crossed & touched wood as we don't leave for 2 weeks!).
latest report
richb67 wrote:

well of course personally for me we're going to DSK for 2 weeks so a 2 week single validation would be good Very Happy

I agree a week would seem pragmatic but I assume they were worried about rules changing at short notice and being held liable for something. From a system perspective you also have to build in a new module for managing that. From a business perspective you have to be willing to risk angry customers who didn't check their email and found the lift wouldn't let them on after they spend the night in a rifugio and are trying to get up a chair lift in Cinque Torri (example for dramatic affect only!)

It's all a trade off, no solution is perfect.

Also, they had limited time so often the best way to deliver these projects is to agree a minimum viable product and focus 100% on this. I think they've achieved a viable product. Do I wish I could upload my greenpass and let the system take care of everything ? well yes.

Overall I'm just happy to be able to ski and not have to take my gloves off at every damn gondola (fingers crossed & touched wood as we don't leave for 2 weeks!).

Enjoy your trip when it comes, @richb67

Those (straw?) customers in rifugios are going to be stuffed anyway at the first lift they come to under the current system unless they can find an adequate data connection in the morning and have enough charge, etc etc
latest report
@richb67, I just received this note from Superski in regards to buying a multi day ticket from a physical office at the resort:

“ If your vaccination certificate is valid, you will receive your ski pass activated for the entire duration.”

I look forward to hearing this confirmed! Eliminating the daily activation would be perfect for my situation!
snow conditions
Am I right in thinking that from 10 January 2022 unvaccinated teens will need to demonstrate a -ve PCR test every 48 hours in order to access a temporary "super green pass"? Which effectively is what you now have to do in Austria for the Ninja Pass ...
snow report
Sorry to ask another one but I can't find the answer in this thread although I feel like I've read it somewhere.
How long after a second dose does a super green pass become available for a teenager?
snow conditions
Quote:

Am I right in thinking that from 10 January 2022 unvaccinated teens will need to demonstrate a -ve PCR test every 48 hours in order to access a temporary "super green pass"? Which effectively is what you now have to do in Austria for the Ninja Pass ...

Yes I think that's right and it's the reported long queues, cost or even unavailability of testing that would make me hesitate in going if we can't get junior done on 27th Jan ahead of HT.

For England we have to get a letter with the QR codes ordered and received which seems to take about a week. Scotland may be different in that teens can use their app and get QR codes sooner?
latest report
franga wrote:

No.... (unless it's changed very, very, very recently)
testing just gets you a green pass so is ok until 9th Jan. The super green pass is either recovered or vaccinated. UK teens are pretty much err, victims of the different vaccination approaches.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/coronavirus#super
latest report
Alchemist wrote:
@richb67, I just received this note from Superski in regards to buying a multi day ticket from a physical office at the resort:

“ If your vaccination certificate is valid, you will receive your ski pass activated for the entire duration.”

I look forward to hearing this confirmed! Eliminating the daily activation would be perfect for my situation!

me too, hopefully someone can confirm soon
snow conditions
Interestingly Madonna di Campiglio has just announced they will be implementing daily green pass validation. It’s via a company called safe2ski who seem to be providing the technology to a number of ski areas.
latest report
Morning. I’m in Courmayeur right now. Arrived last night.

Quick summary - Edinburgh airport checked visa status, antigen test, passenger loc form and passport. I used the centre in the airport for my antigen test. Had the result emailed back to me within 10 mins.

On arrival into Italy they only checked my locator form and passport.

Here In resort they are using the green pass. My qr code generated from the nhs has worked everytime so far (I haven’t tried the qr on the Scottish nhs app yet)

Almost everyone is wearing ffp2 masks, seen very few without a mask.

Worth nothing that your antigen test has to be within 24 hours of ARRIVING in Italy. I hadn’t realised that. A good few ahead of me in the line we’re caught out and had to dash about and get a new one!

Hope this helps anyone. It’s not as bad as you think once you’ve done it once!

Cheers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Interestingly Madonna di Campiglio has just announced they will be implementing daily green pass validation. It’s via a company called safe2ski who seem to be providing the technology to a number of ski areas."

That is just the Italian app scanning the UK NHS app QR code, surely?

But there will always be somebody making money on the back of any crisis. Guernsey and Alderney produced a fancy app which displays a big blue blob, for the "border" staff to read, but it does no more than showing your vacc certificate and passport would do Smile
ski holidays
Looking into a trip to Italy, I saw from the regulations that “masks are mandatory outside” (also inside, but that I can understand). I've not crossed the border for a while, so I'm wondering is anyone taking taking this seriously? Is it enforced? I'm not talking about in queues or crowds, but just generally.
snow conditions
The 24 hours test thing could be tricky for self driving there with an overnight in France (theoretical atm).......
snow report
huevohombre wrote:
susieq78 wrote:
dgmskier wrote:
Thanks all generally for your helpful posts on this thread.

We are traveling as a family to Italy first week of Feb. Our niece who is 13 is hoping to come with us. She has had one dose of the vaccine but cannot get another until after we get back.

She is under 18 and so normally quarntine would not apply according to the website BUT the website states specifically that she must be with a fully vaccinated parent. My wife and I are both fully boosted etc. On the basis that she is traveling with us and not her parent is it likely to make a difference and she will have to qurantine for 5 days? I suspect it will unfortunately but hoping someone out there will have been in a similar situation and be able to assist.

the other difficult bit is that we have booked our flights and we are now tryind to add her to the booking which is not easy.

any help appreciated.

I have spent all day trying to figure out whether a trip to Italy at half term is viable for our family, which includes a 13 year old... mainly focussed on whether he can get on a ski lift rather than getting there in the first place, possibly an error! But re super pass etc... he can get his second jab 4 days before we go (not soon enough to get double jabbed proof and super green pass) but he will be within 6 months of a positive PCR. I've booked a private remote GP appointment for this Thursday afternoon to obtain a proof of recovery certificate including a QR code. Not cheap at £89 but not the most expensive online either, most seem to be £120+. I've got the VerifaC19 app ready to roll the instant I get my hands on a QR code for him. I will report back if it works.... but would also love to hear whether this has worked for anyone else? Really annoying that other countries' health authorities will provide proof of recovery for free but not here.

I would be interested to know how you get on please fingers crossed and good luck

@huevohombre sadly this was a fail. I have a certificate of recovery but the QR code is not compatible with the EUDCC system ie won't scan into VerifiC19 app. Midland Health have been very helpful and refunded my money but also confirmed that only the NHS can create QR codes compatible with the EU system. Not sure what to do now. I don't know if a European pharmacy could resolve this, I understand for example that french pharmacies can check a certificate of recovery and create a pass sanitaire that has an EUDCC QR code on it but no idea if same applies in Italy or how I could have any assurance of that working before travelling. I know it's first world problems but son has had covid and recovered, meets criteria for superpass but I've got no confidence it will be accepted without massive hassle everyday unless we have an acceptable QR code before we travel..... it's just a "computer says no" problem Sad
snow report
Peter Stevens wrote:
"Interestingly Madonna di Campiglio has just announced they will be implementing daily green pass validation. It’s via a company called safe2ski who seem to be providing the technology to a number of ski areas."

That is just the Italian app scanning the UK NHS app QR code, surely?

I'm not quite sure what you mean re Italian app but the details are here https://www.ski.it/en/combine-your-covid-qr-code-safe2ski

Essentially it appears to be the same as Dolomiti superksi, you link your skipass to your greenpass every day via a website. It's unclear if this is mandatory or not.

Anyone reading this now knows as much as me.

FYI Trentino have confirmed that as from 10th Jan a super green pass (ie vaccinated or recovered only) is required on any type of ski lift

https://www.trentinomarketing.org/it/trentino-suite/vacanze-sicure-landing-pages/travelling-safely/
What are the rules for access to cableways?
The rules for accessing the cable lifts require:

requirement to wear an FFP2 face mask on all closed ski-lift facilities (cableways, gondola lifts, chairlifts with closed windscreen domes)
possession of COVID-19 Green Certificate for 'enclosed' lifts (cable cars, gondola lifts and chairlifts, when used with the windscreens closed). - from 10 January 2022 Reinforced COVID-19 Green Certificate mandatory for all types of ski lifts
maintaining the interpersonal distance of no less than 1 metre on the way in and out
Facilities will operate at 100% for chairlifts, 80% for cable cars, gondola lifts and chairlifts, when used with the windscreens closed.
latest report
"from 10 January 2022 Reinforced COVID-19 Green Certificate mandatory for all types of ski lifts" this is true for the whole of Italy regardless of zone, as of 10th jan
latest report
susieq78 wrote:
"from 10 January 2022 Reinforced COVID-19 Green Certificate mandatory for all types of ski lifts" this is true for the whole of Italy regardless of zone, as of 10th jan

yes, it wasn't worded clearly, thanks. (I posted it because it seems to have been implied but that was the first place I'd seen it explicitly stated)
snow report
Just spent a week in Madonna over the New Year period. Had to link the ski pass daily, was an absolute doddle and took about 2 minutes on a morning. This has to be done daily otherwise the pass won’t work at the barrier for the lifts.
latest report
@Bagel, presume you could do this via your mobile phone?
latest report
Yeah just on the mobile each morning Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
Looking into a trip to Italy, I saw from the regulations that “masks are mandatory outside” (also inside, but that I can understand). I've not crossed the border for a while, so I'm wondering is anyone taking taking this seriously? Is it enforced? I'm not talking about in queues or crowds, but just generally.

Quite a few are, and there's a scramble if a Carabinieri is sighted...
latest report
Bagel wrote:
Yeah just on the mobile each morning Eh oh! Eh oh!

Excellent news. Thanks for the info. I am starting to get hopeful we may make it out there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy