Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Latest travel rules for Italy?

Poster: A snowHead
@Peter Stevens, Polite request to edit the racist language out from your post please?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LukeRibs, hello, are you taking the Austrian plf as well as the Italian one? Really not sure if u need both.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brianatab wrote:
Got this link from another snowHead . seems a few have bought from this place before.
https://www.medisave.co.uk/ffp2-respirator-face-masks-box-of-50.html

Found version in black on that site and put order in (15yr old will only wear black!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, you could take the day 2 test when you arrive at the home airport. The reg states "on or before day 2". Sit down at the Costas at the N Terminal and do it there Smile

If you caught something on the flight, it won't register for a while anyway.

Racist? China is the counterfeit capital of the world. Makes it very hard to buy anything "real" nowadays.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Stevens wrote:

Racist? China is the counterfeit capital of the world. Makes it very hard to buy anything "real" nowadays.

That bit wasn't the racist bit.....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Peter Stevens,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Handy Turnip wrote:
Peter Stevens wrote:
No need to purchase the Day 2 PCR before departing for your holiday, but you will waste a piece of your life, because let's say you order it when you get back, it will arrive next day (hopefully), you take it, post it, get the result 2 days later (hopefully). Until the result comes back negative you are supposed to sit at home, isolating.

Whereas if you get it before travelling, you can take the test on the last day of your holiday (so if you caught something on the return flight, it won't affect it), post it at the arrival airport, and get the result, and be released from isolation, as soon as is possible under the current system.

Puzzled Puzzled surely the purpose of all this is to pick up on a positive test and isolate yourself accordingly - not to see if you can get your test in before you test positive, and then avoid isolating (even though you are positive!).

I must have read this wrong surely!!

No, I think you’ve read this accurately & completely as intended.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Debbie0312 wrote:
I have just entered Italy successfully, so thought I would share my experiences as they might be useful to others.
The paperwork side of things is a faff, but not difficult, just allow plenty of time.
We ordered tests from Testngo, not my first choice, but other providers would not do next day delivery over the holiday period. Once I had read through the instructions carefully, they were not immediately intuitive, all worked fine, and test certificates back in 3 hours on NYD.
Paperwork, either digital or paper were all checked by carrier before departure. Sadly we saw one couple denied boarding but not sure why.
On arrival at Turin no obvious checking of any paperwork, just a stamp in the passport, but I assume as PLF has passport number all is linked?
In resort, regular and routine checking of Covid pass. [b]Wearing of FFP2 masks required on enclosed lifts and in hotel public areas, with gentle reminders by staff and lifties if you forget.
Worth the hassle for the skiing, as there is no such thing as a bad ski day Eh oh!

Hi Debbie... How stringent is the FFP2 masks, only have standard surgical masks at present so will look to get some ordered before we head out in 4 weeks time. All this mask wearing /scanning of passes etc is putting a dampener on things I have to admit... Lift queues are bad enough at the best of times. Sad But its been 3 years since we all strapped on the planks and needs must!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can any visitors from the States report on their experience? Non-EU citizens cannot use the EU Digital Covid Certificate. I have my vaccination status in QR form contained in my iPhone. Will that get me on the lifts like the EU version? The QR code on my phone does not show test results like the EU version...

Any help appreciated!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alchemist, You could try downloading the VerifaC19 app, available on Play store. It's the one they will use in resort to check.

You can check your QR code. It'll either give you a tick or not. Nothing to lose.

Maybe you could try contacting the Italian embassy, or the local tourist board for the area you are thinking of going to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@brianatab, Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the app but it does not accept my QR code. I'll keep investigating. There must be some Americans over there skiing!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are flying into Turin in a couple of weeks so we can just use the 24hr LFT but does anyone have the actual requirements of this test? Does it need to be a particular Fit-to-fly test with a certificate? If it needs a certificate, does that make the 24hr period a bit tight? I've read that a standard NHS LFT test may not be enough?

Sorry if I've missed this being answered. Google didn't seem to be much help.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spike107 Do not be put off by the mask wearing and Covid pass requirements, I would say it has had little impact on the enjoyment of our holiday so far. And frankly just delighted to be skiing. Eh oh!

A few things to note:
Mask wearing is at 95% levels, primarily FFP2 mask but the occasional surgical masks are seen, so far I haven’t seen a cloth mask.
FFP2 masks are surprising comfortable, much better than surgical, in that they sit away from the nose.
Many wear masks constantly, even when skiing, I don’t as a wearer of glasses as there is the issue of my glasses steaming up in the cold air when wearing a mask!
FFP2 masks although not strictly reusable, will definitely cope with at least a couple of days, and are really quite cheap off Amazon.

Covid passes when downloaded to Apple Wallet or Google Pay are really easy to use, and the Italians as you would expect are very friendly and make the whole process of checking your “Pass” very easy. Often you are already sat at your table before they check.
They are not yet routinely checking passes for each lift use, but did need to show green pass when lift pass was purchased. I understand from the 10th January there are due to be more checks on Covid passes when using lifts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can reuse FFP according to the info in this article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/30/masks-best-covid-protection-ffp2-ffp3
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Debbie0312, thanks for the useful update
snow report
Sorry, should have been a screenshot too..

ski holidays
I also meant to mention that lift queues because of attempts to social distance are much more bearable. Typically you will see rope lanes ahead of the barriers, they vary in length from 5 to 20m. This has gone a long way from preventing the unholy scrum when busy, especially when fit and agile teenagers seem to find a way to squeeze through!
snow conditions
With Dolomiti SuperSki, you now have to revalidate your QR code everyday against your lift pass - either in the app or on the website https://superski.greenpass.ax/ - else your list pass won't work apparently. So, no real need to check QRs at the lifts I imagine.
ski holidays
@Harrow lady,

I’m going to have both filled and printed. As I understand it, there is actually very little I *need* to do for Austria as I’m transiting straight out and the specific advice on the embassy website in this case is;

“Entry without restriction is permitted for:… … transit passengers or people who cross Austria without a stopover (except essential interruptions, provided that departure is ensured”

So as I will have a copy of the invoice for my pre-booked private transfer directly to Italy, I’d argue I don’t actually need to do anything at all to appease the Austrian authorities, and in fact just focus on the Italian requirements.

However; I’m not having that argument in Innsbruck when I can just get a PCR at home (at some cost - but Eh oh! Eh oh! ) and fill out a PLF for Austria as well as Italy, just to adopt a belt and braces approach.
snow report
areynolds10 wrote:
We are flying into Turin in a couple of weeks so we can just use the 24hr LFT but does anyone have the actual requirements of this test? Does it need to be a particular Fit-to-fly test with a certificate? If it needs a certificate, does that make the 24hr period a bit tight? I've read that a standard NHS LFT test may not be enough?

Sorry if I've missed this being answered. Google didn't seem to be much help.

You do need a 24hr LFT, order from a reputable supplier in good time, I would suggest at least a week beforehand. You take the test in the 24hrs before you fly, upload the results and a test certificate is then issued. Mine came back in 3hrs and the time was from when the certificate was issued not from when I uploaded the results. Without a correct certificate you will probably be denied boarding. The NHS test is not acceptable as you do not get a certificate. However I did take a NHS test before my paid for test, so I knew what to expect in terms of results!
ski holidays
Debbie0312 wrote:
@spike107 Do not be put off by the mask wearing and Covid pass requirements, I would say it has had little impact on the enjoyment of our holiday so far. And frankly just delighted to be skiing. Eh oh!

A few things to note:
Mask wearing is at 95% levels, primarily FFP2 mask but the occasional surgical masks are seen, so far I haven’t seen a cloth mask.
FFP2 masks are surprising comfortable, much better than surgical, in that they sit away from the nose.
Many wear masks constantly, even when skiing, I don’t as a wearer of glasses as there is the issue of my glasses steaming up in the cold air when wearing a mask!
FFP2 masks although not strictly reusable, will definitely cope with at least a couple of days, and are really quite cheap off Amazon.

Covid passes when downloaded to Apple Wallet or Google Pay are really easy to use, and the Italians as you would expect are very friendly and make the whole process of checking your “Pass” very easy. Often you are already sat at your table before they check.
They are not yet routinely checking passes for each lift use, but did need to show green pass when lift pass was purchased. I understand from the 10th January there are due to be more checks on Covid passes when using lifts.

Hi good info thanks we travel to corvara on the 15th, can’t wait.

When you say ‘upload covid pass to apple wallet’ do you mean direct from NHS app or have you had to use the green pass?

Thanks in advance
latest report
@LukeRibs, Best approach. It only costs a little time to fill in a plf for Austria, even if only to transit.

Can't for the life of me see why anybody wouldn't bother. Could save a lot of time with Austrian Imigration.

Pcr for Austria will be an added cost, but not that much more than an Lft for Italy, so just a matter of timing with arrival.
snow conditions
neilkav wrote:
Debbie0312 wrote:

A few things to note:

Hi good info thanks we travel to corvara on the 15th, can’t wait.

When you say ‘upload covid pass to apple wallet’ do you mean direct from NHS app or have you had to use the green pass?

Thanks in advance

Straight from NHS app, very intuitive, even gives you the option when you request the Covid pass in the NHS app, obviously choose the pass for travel. You don’t need any other apps.
ski holidays
Sorry if someone has asked this. There are a lot of posts to check! Does 48 hours before entering Italy mean literally 48 hours or is it just 2 days? We're flying into Innsbruck at about 14:00 so over the Italian border at maybe 16:00. Actual 48 hours means getting a PCR test with only one working day before getting to the airport.
snow report
@Moondog, As far as I know, it’s within 48hrs of your arrival at the country your going to. In the summer we saw a fair few being turned away at UK check in as their tests didn’t cover scheduled arrival time, many seems to forget the extra hour time difference, or allowance for any potential delays. I’m due to fly at 07.25, I’ll be doing my test early the previous evening ( making sure it’s in their working hours for getting the cert )
snow conditions
Thanks. I had forgotten the time difference. But that gives me an extra hour.
ski holidays
Ugh, I contacted Dolomiti Superski and they reported that non-EU citizens have to find a point-of-sale office every morning to manually validate that day's ticket. I prefer to stay exclusively in slopeside rifugios high above the village, and some, like Rif. Averau, Scoiattoli, and Baita Cuz are far, far away from any point of sale office, which means I'll have to reorganize my trip. I hope EU and non-EU tech can start playing nice with each other before long...
latest report
That might have been a factor in the 2 Canadian guys pulling the plug on the birthday bash. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alchemist, Wouldn't want to contradict Dolomiti superski, but it does not sound right : this is from the website, it sounds like to me that there are 3 ways to activate the pass ; website/phone app/point of sale

"Skipass activation
Activation on our website: Enter your ski pass number and check the QR code of your Green Pass. This can be uploaded from the gallery or the memory files of your mobile phone, or directly from the paper document. Your data will not be saved

Activation in the Dolomiti Superski app: load the QR code of your Green Pass from the photo gallery or the memory of the mobile phone and insert the number of your skipass. If you want you can stored the data in the dedicated section of the app to facilitate subsequent activation. Likewise, the skipasses of your family members can be activated daily.

Activation at points of sale or ticket box: validate the QR code every day at our points of sale or at one of our ticket boxes, located throughout the whole regions.

*For special cases, please consult the point of sale.

Ski
The activation has to be carried out for each ski day. Once the skipass has been activated, access to the all lifts is guaranteed for the whole day.

=======

Were you might have problems is fulfilling this

"..To access the lifts the EU QR code covid certificate (proof of vaccination, a negative test or recovery from the virus) is mandatory from the age of 12..."

Would a USA certificate be compatible with the EU one ??
snow report
I saw a website somewhere for validating the ski passes, but it looked like for passes purchased online. Those won't have the magnetically readable bit; you have to hold the barcode against the code reader at the base of every ski lift, every time. If you buy the more normal plastic pass, which is remotely readable (it lives in the little pocket on the left sleeve of your ski jacket, and never comes out, all week) then your vacc cert may be checked (wasn't IME) when you buy the pass but it can't be checked afterwards, because you are just one of a crowd, with no ID etc checking.

In Cervinia 2 weeks ago, I bought 2 passes. One was the usual 5 day remotely readable one, and no vacc cert was checked. The other was just for day 6, a paper non remotely readable one, and they checked my vacc cert when I paid for that one.

So, buy the normal pass from a normal office, not online, just in case. Once you have that, they can't track you.

Re the US certificate, phone the office whose number is on the website, and ask them. The UK certificate is non-EU also, but works.

Re where the 24 or 48hrs count starts, if it says 48, then you need to turn up at the destination airport within 48hrs of when your cert says you took the test. In practice, IME, there is a bit of a leeway. I once turned up in Italy a few hours after the 48hrs expired.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 5-01-22 22:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Ugh, I contacted Dolomiti Superski and they reported that non-EU citizens have to find a point-of-sale office every morning to manually validate that day's ticket. I prefer to stay exclusively in slopeside rifugios high above the village, and some, like Rif. Averau, Scoiattoli, and Baita Cuz are far, far away from any point of sale office, which means I'll have to reorganize my trip. I hope EU and non-EU tech can start playing nice with each other before long...

@Alchemist, I think they were using a bit of shorthand as I think it's EU or other digital certificates with a QR code they can read. Note the "think" in that as I haven't done it yet, but I think it's basically that doing this digitally requires them to be able to read the covid pass, e.g. via a QR code. They can do that with the EU certs of course, but also with NHS cert from the UK, and probably others, but there isn't an "upload a paper based one from the US and have it reviewed" option, so they make you go an do it manually.
latest report
It’s up to the US to develop an EU compatible QR code, fortunately for most SH that’s what the UK (and 32 other countries) have done.

Info here,

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en#mutual-recognition-of-covid-certificates-by-the-eu-and-third-non-eu-countries
latest report
@Peter Stevens, I believe it depends on which ski area you visit. We’re going to MdC and then Dolomiti superski. AFAIK The former has per lift checks the latter has a daily validation to enable your pass but then only random checks. DSK made a big deal about being the only Italian pass that worked in that way. I guess they have the money!
ski holidays
Yes; I noticed that no two Italian ski websites have the same info!

The pass validation website I saw was asking for data fields which are not on the plastic pass I had (and still have here, in front of me).

I am looking at
https://superski.greenpass.ax/
which you reach via
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Plan-ski-holiday/Green%20Pass

That shows "161..." and indeed my pass has a number on it which is 01-1614-2029... but nothing fits, apart from the three "161" digits which may or may not be relevant.

I would be surprised if they had the staff available for scanning the QR codes at every lift base. They would need at least 2x the staff they currently have. It would also be pointlessly dumb - IF you are asked to show the vacc cert when you buy the pass. A daily scan would only pick up people whose vacc cert expired during their holiday, which is practically nobody since you regenerate the vacc cert from the NHS app before you travel.

I've never bought lift passes online; maybe they work differently.
snow conditions
@petes, @albob, I've confirmed with US tourists presently in Italy that the US vaccination QR codes are not compatible with the EU/Italian apps. That has resulted in some museums/restaurants/theaters denying entry to those without the Greenpass QR code, even though they present a paper copy of their vaccination record. This is going to create a significant friction point at the start of every ski day unfortunately. Hopefully the US tech will line up with the EU tech soon.

@Peter Stevens, that's very interesting. My last visit I bought a 10-day pass from a physical office in Val Gardena and the card lived in my coat pocket and read remotely. It was my impression that if I was an EU citizen, I would have to confirm my covid credentials daily through the app to activate that day's access to the lifts. But as a US citizen they're telling me I would have to present my ticket every day at a physical office since US vaccination credentials are not EU compatible, and thus I cannot get my vaccination status approved remotely using an app.
ski holidays
Debbie0312 wrote:

Ah, I didn't realize that they sometimes check the QR code on lifts. I sort of assumed that by having to validate your lift pass every day that the QR code would not be needed after that. I am due to go to the Dolomites and their phone app allows you to validate your ski pass once every day by scanning your QR code. Without validation, the lift wont allow you in. But, from what you are saying I will need to also have the QR code handy for further checks on lifts, or is this a non-dolomite area specific thing?

I see now why some people are having them stuck to their helmets!
snow conditions
OK; I think, obviously, if you get somebody, anybody, Monica Lewinsky, to buy a ski pass for 5 days (max allowed is 5 days, IME), gives it to you, and you stuff it up your left jacket sleeve pocket, you can ski those 5 days, because nobody will see it has "Monica Lewinsky" on it Smile

Anyway, the name on mine didn't come from my passport. I wrote it for them onto a piece of paper! Well, they may have looked at the vacc certificate. But as I say nobody asks to see that plastic card, all week. They might ask you to take it out if it is not working, which sometimes happens (the lift man checks it is current and overrides the barrier manually for you). If you are a male then maybe better not have "Monica" on it Wink
ski holidays
SnowB1KinOldy wrote:
Debbie0312 wrote:

Ah, I didn't realize that they sometimes check the QR code on lifts. I sort of assumed that by having to validate your lift pass every day that the QR code would not be needed after that. I am due to go to the Dolomites and their phone app allows you to validate your ski pass once every day by scanning your QR code. Without validation, the lift wont allow you in. But, from what you are saying I will need to also have the QR code handy for further checks on lifts, or is this a non-dolomite area specific thing?

I see now why some people are having them stuck to their helmets!

from the DolomitiSuperski website

"Once the skipass has been activated, access to the all lifts is guaranteed for the whole day."
snow report
@Peter Stevens, I understand your point, but what I'm unsure of and what Superski is suggesting is that the 5 day pass won't work for ANY lift until it is scanned and the Covid QR code verified in the app or at a physical ticket office. I know I'll have to show my vaccine card when purchasing the ticket but they're telling me I'll have to keep verifying it on a daily basis by bringing it to an office.
ski holidays
Here in Selva, you need to show your passport and vaccine cert when you buy the lift pass, and then you need to revalidate it every day. As long as you have a recognised QR code, it’s just a couple of clicks in the Dolomiti Superski app every morning, or scanning at a machine at the base of one of the main gondolas. If you need manual verification, it would be a trip to the central lift pass office every morning to activate you pass, and the queue moves pretty slowly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy