Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France off the cards, where next!?

Poster: A snowHead
David B wrote:
@Gilberts Fridge, I always thought America was the biggest Island Nation when it came to a lack of understanding of the world. But since returning to the UK I have been very surprised at the anti EU rhetoric in the media, close friends and obviously the right wing politicians. We make it very easy to be singled out by other countries as not been on-board.

I have lived and worked all over the world and I have to say we the English are not as popular as we may think. Once you learn the local language you realise what is actually is been said and the tone of the comments. (Please note I did not say British).

See the number of people complaining about how unfair the French are being by basically implementing the same rules as we have for entry to the UK... (Ones which if you look at detection seem reasonably sane - check before entry; quarantine and recheck 2 days later to deal with cases that weren't advanced enough at entry to be detected)

Yes, other countries in Europe with similar levels of infection don't have to follow these, but that is because Schengen and EU rules mean they are almost impossible to enforce without breaking international treaties. We elected to get rid of the special relationship (brexit) so they can apply restrictions to us. It isn't that the UK has been singled out; its that other Schengen nations have (so are allowed in even with similar covid state)

@johnE if anything part of the problem with British travellers is we have a good vaccination rate, but appear to be bad at other measures. Unfortunately the vaccinations are quite good at reducing severity and transmission, but don't prevent it completely. Exceptionalism means people are arguing they are vaccinated so don't need to follow other measures (e.g. masks, social distancing) so are probably as likely to spread the virus overall but less likely to realise they have it/suffer (hence high case rate but low fatalities)... So now they spread it to the unvaccinated in countries they want to travel to whose vaccination process isn't quite as far along (or has a different age profile etc)...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you decide to leave a club, and once you have left the club you abuse its officers and members by suggesting it was a c**p club anyway, then when you want to use the facilities as a guest, you wonder why they will not bend over to accommodate you?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@qwerty360, how is banning tourism the same as the rules for the UK??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@David B, I lived and worked in France, Denmark, Italy over ten years so know how the locals view us. Most, like UK citizens views of other nations, really don't mind us too much, have a laugh with you and make stereotypical jokes about Brits loving to queue, have bad food etc. You do of course have the local equivalent of the Sun readers who believe everything their populists tell them and hate any foreigners.

johnE wrote:
@Gilberts Fridge, I suspect it may have something to do with the very high covid rates in the UK, lower vaccination rates and lesser measures in place to prevent the spread, but then again other countries, such as Czechia have equally high rates as the UK.

Having travelled to Germany (twice) and France recently for work, the Germans were NOT adhering to the mask wearing requirements in all places including a large repair shop. The Germans were also telling me that their vaccine rates were low and one actually said that in his group that only 30% of his friends supported the vaccine. Clients based in Bavaria were very scathing of the German response. In France (north of Paris) again the mask wearing did not seem to be as well adhered to as we are led to believe.

I seem to recall that the Dutch had a little protest recently too about Covid restrictions.

Britain is not in the best place, but other countries are not either. This is an easy political move by Macron, all of course in my view.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David B wrote:

I have lived and worked all over the world and I have to say we the English are not as popular as we may think. Once you learn the local language you realise what is actually is been said and the tone of the comments. (Please note I did not say British).

I might be just me and the people I know, but the general consensus is that we know that we're generally not liked that much around the world.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
jason123 wrote:
So France is now a no go. Due to travel this Sunday (19th). Where is everyone heading now? Started looking across the Atlantic but the prices over Christmas were extortionate!

If you're double vaccinated Austria is easy.

Tirol is even possible for non vaxxed 12 - 15 (inc) year olds now. (Not sure about the rest atm haven't read the papers yet)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So is Andorra still very much on the cards at the moment? You can travel from Spanish airports currently (and Spain always feel like the last to change), and is transiting from French airports still okay?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

if anything part of the problem with British travellers is we have a good vaccination rate,

I think the UK vaccination rate is actually pretty poor. The last time I looked it was lower than Italy, France, Germany and Austria. Birmingham, in particular, looks in a bad way with 42% of the under 40s not vaccinated. One of problems as discussed a lot in this forum was the decision not to fully vaccinate children and then the very patchy partial innoculation of some of them with the even partial dosage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:
Mo-fuc*ing-ronic

Or perhaps just what we should have done a few weeks ago, when we were in the same position? Take away that it's spoiling our holiday plans and being objective gives a different perspective.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve just made a bold call and booked Austria. There are some cracking deals for under £300 and you only need the NHS covid pass for entry. Standard test and day two PCR on return. But at this point I’m willing to take a gamble

Extra protection booking through Crystal also
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jason123 wrote:
I’ve just made a bold call and booked Austria. There are some cracking deals for under £300 and you only need the NHS covid pass for entry. Standard test and day two PCR on return. But at this point I’m willing to take a gamble

Are we able to travel to Austria at the moment?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked up for Morzine on 9th Jan , will just have to see what happens. Does anybody know the situation with
EasyJet and Air BnB in terms of refunds if covid / uk bans are enforced ? Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Mo-fuc*ing-ronic

Or perhaps just what we should have done a few weeks ago, when we were in the same position? Take away that it's spoiling our holiday plans and being objective gives a different perspective.

I was having a work conversation with colleagues about this earlier and my starting point was "you have to bear in mind the everything I say is biased by the fact that I desperately want to go skiing in Jan".

That said, I do feel that by the time they discovered Omicron, it was already everywhere anyway.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkiingDad wrote:
jason123 wrote:

Unless I have missed something major. Their lockdown has lifted and travel there seems easier than anywhere else
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NewSkiingDad wrote:
jason123 wrote:

Yes if you are vaccinated, no pre entry test either. Unvaxxed 12 - 15 year olds ok in Tirol too with free PCR testing rolled out this week.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 16-12-21 14:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Mo-fuc*ing-ronic

If this is a rational and measured response then it’s time to find a new sport.

This virus is not going away.
snow conditions
Being objective I fully expect Holland, Germany and Austria to do the same as France next few days - we cancelled our planned trip 2 weeks ago because could see this coming, what is happening now is not a surprise. If folks do make it out for a ski holiday then I suggest taking plenty of money and clean undies, it could be a long trip.
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
So is Andorra still very much on the cards at the moment? You can travel from Spanish airports currently (and Spain always feel like the last to change), and is transiting from French airports still okay?

I am reading the spanish entry requirements and I cant see that we can get in. we have a partially vaxed teenager as well. my head is muddled from reading all the french stuff for most of this week. just got my head around it then it all changes !
latest report
So travelling through France. On the cards or not?

Got our eurotunnel booked for 28th Jan. Was meant to be driving to the 3V but now considering a different option. Maybe Austria or Andorra, would still like to drive as that gives us more flexibility than flying (and less contact with others!).
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Being objective I fully expect Holland, Germany and Austria to do the same as France next few days - we cancelled our planned trip 2 weeks ago because could see this coming, what is happening now is not a surprise. If folks do make it out for a ski holiday then I suggest taking plenty of money and clean undies, it could be a long trip.

Quite!

That's why I'm not booking any thing that are not within my control: no airplanes, no crossing of country borders. (It's easier for me to say that as I live in a rather large country)

Border closing or flight cancellation before the trip can be cancelled and refunded if that option was selected initially. But once the trip started, flight can still got cancelled and/or border policy changed. What are people's plans to handle that?

Also, flights can get diverted in the air due to whatever issues. That could complicate things unexpectedly. Colleague of mine flew to Norway but his flight got diverted while in the air. He ended up in an airport in another country. Different Covid rules then apply... Turned into a longer trip than originally planned. Fortunately, he's traveling for work, so all expense and time wasted were paid for. And he got a good tour of boring airport hotels and Covid testing facilities at company's expense.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Mo-fuc*ing-ronic

France is doing irreparable damage to its tourism industry IMHO

I won’t be rushing there in the future

Me neither - always loved France but now inclined to never go again, apart from transiting

Sure their tourist trade will be livid - and let's face it France is in the same situation (or shortly will be)

Moronic as it is, hope UK Gov does the same back

Doubt it would bother the French, why would they want to come here in winter? We want to go there much more than t'other way round. Puzzled
snow conditions
Just received this from Crystal, fair play as they seem to on the ball with this recent announcement:

“We need to let you know that the French Government have announced a ban on UK travellers entering France from Saturday. Currently this restriction doesn't have a confirmed end date.

If at 14 days before your departure date, the restrictions have been eased, your holiday will go ahead as planned. However, if the restrictions haven't changed, we'll cancel your holiday and give you a full refund within 14 days. If you want to cancel your booking now, normal terms and conditions apply.

We understand the uncertainty this will cause and want to remind you that we've got you covered with our Crystal Holiday Promise including our fee-free changes policy. Please also check the latest travel and local COVID-19 requirements before booking another holiday.

We're getting more calls than usual right now and we're sorry it's taking us far longer than we'd like to answer your call.

We know you'll have been really looking forward to your ski trip and hope that we can take you to the mountains soon.

Your Crystal team”
latest report
davejsy wrote:
Spain would have to be a logical option. They are far more tourist friendly/reliant than the French, so tend to be less draconian with such measures. With the snow as it is at present just another reason to go, and then add in the fact it's generally a lot cheaper than France. Resorts in the Pyrenees are reachable via Barcelona/Madrid/Bilbao giving plenty of flight options, and even getting a ferry to Santander wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. For those looking more off the beaten track there are also resorts like San Isidro near Oviedo, or even Alto Campoo, which while being no way large ski areas there are amongst some of the most beautiful wilderness in Spain (assuming your skiing is good enough to outrun the wolves and bears Twisted Evil ).

We've had an amazing start to the winter here in Baqueira, hopefully Spain leaves the borders as they are.
ski holidays
Hope so mate
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:
So travelling through France. On the cards or not?

Got our eurotunnel booked for 28th Jan. Was meant to be driving to the 3V but now considering a different option. Maybe Austria or Andorra, would still like to drive as that gives us more flexibility than flying (and less contact with others!).

Not as it stands I don't think.

They're saying that transit is only permitted in airport transit areas if you're there for less than 24 hours (so, you could fly Air France to America and transit through CDG, for example).

We're due out on 15th Jan so I'm just hoping at the minute that everything settles down quickly and it all relaxes.

If it doesn't, looking at how Omicron has taken off, I think by mid-late January we'll have far bigger worries than holidays getting cancelled (and I doubt France would be the only place putting restrictions in at that point).
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Hope so mate

Thanks! Just now got my first english language booking for the winter, perhaps due to the french rule change.
snow conditions
@Klammertime, Agreed -I'm just in a "I hope it bugs up someone's trip to come here so they know how we feel" mood

As I said moronic!!!
snow report
19-26 Dec 21. Flights LHR to Salzburg with BA still holding at £114 return, 26 Dec - 02 Jan £154 return. 02-09 Jan 22 from £108. Lots of space here in the Ski Amade.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Andorra (via Spain, and Spain all still looking ok for the moment then.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
NewSkiingDad wrote:
jason123 wrote:

Yes if you are vaccinated, no pre entry test either. Unvaxxed 12 - 15 year olds ok in Tirol too with free PCR testing rolled out this week.

where did you see this info re 12-15yr olds please. I cant find anything. all i can find is "a solution is being worked on"
snow conditions
@backhojo, it is not anywhere other than local tourist boards, I did email mine for confirmation and this is what they said
Quote:
Hello Chris,
Yes this information is correct. Kids from 12 – 15 can travel with their parents and a negative PCR test valid for 72 hours.
When you arrive in resort your children can continue to be PCR tested every few days. These tests will be available in your accommodation free of charge and you must drop them off at the Spar shops in the valley.

Each Austrian state has a different ruling. This is the correct one for Tirol and probably not described on the national website as other states have different measures.

I asked the owner of the hotel next door if she knew about this and yes they know but hadn't received the tests (on Tuesday). The Spar shop in the village has the drop box and tests so is ready to go.
snow report
Fridge03 wrote:
Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Andorra (via Spain, and Spain all still looking ok for the moment then.

Surely not for long though!!
snow conditions
In addition to the above, it's worth remembering that anyone who has evidence that they've had an infection plus at least one jab (including teens, if you can get proof), has a better status in Austria than the triple jabbed, with 360 day validity. No testing required, except those for UK return travel.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 16-12-21 17:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@coxy84, grab it while you can wink
ski holidays
@Scarlet, not sure but isn't that only if you have taken a certified antibody test before the vaccination.
Infection alone is good for 180 days too
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
@backhojo, it is not anywhere other than local tourist boards, I did email mine for confirmation and this is what they said
Quote:
Hello Chris,
Yes this information is correct. Kids from 12 – 15 can travel with their parents and a negative PCR test valid for 72 hours.
When you arrive in resort your children can continue to be PCR tested every few days. These tests will be available in your accommodation free of charge and you must drop them off at the Spar shops in the valley.

Each Austrian state has a different ruling. This is the correct one for Tirol and probably not described on the national website as other states have different measures.

I asked the owner of the hotel next door if she knew about this and yes they know but hadn't received the tests (on Tuesday). The Spar shop in the village has the drop box and tests so is ready to go.

thanks. I am looking at the options for driving to St Anton now...hull to zeeebrugge then drive down. dutch have a specific exemption for driving through the country if you stay for 12 hrs or less. you are even allowed to stop for fuel. but the common issue of partially vaxed teanager could be the problem !
snow conditions
Seems like we went throught his unnecessary stress at about this time _last_ year. I suspect our current govt don't ski.
Anyway, my trip to Tignes fell through, and as we were already on hold to them as we'd been trying to book our airbags onto _that_ trip, we got them to rebook to Austria... so we're now going to Ischgl. Crystal seem quite on the ball - at least this way, they didn't have to refund us.
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
not sure but isn't that only if you have taken a certified antibody test before the vaccination.

Erm, might be. I'm sure it said 360 days when I looked a couple of days ago, but now it says this:

Quote:
For people who have already recovered and who have previously been vaccinated , the vaccination is valid for 270 days from the time of vaccination.
Each additional vaccination (or, in the case of single vaccines and those who have recovered, the second vaccination) is valid for 270 days .

https://gruenerpass.gv.at/geimpft/
Maybe it's 270 days, but either way, most recovered with one jab from the UK will be within that duration.
snow conditions
David B wrote:

This had already been noted wink
latest report
For an overview of what is happening and evolving across Europe I heartily recommend following Jelmer Visser on Twitter and his "Corona map of Europe"

The full publications is here

It's on the basis of what we saw there that idea of the (usual) christmas and new year trip was abandoned just before Omicron appeared <phew>.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 16-12-21 18:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy