Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Penkenbahn open?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Long time lurker but my first post.

I’m due to be heading to Mayrhofen for the first time on 14th jan and was wondering if anyone knows when the Penkenbahn will be open? Google suggests it’s currently closed and I haven’t translated the website Smile

Anyone know?

Also any tips on where is good to ski - I doubt I’ll go up to the glacier or take a road trip. Likely stick to blue/red runs and I’m still fairly novice.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There’s a toggle on the top of the official site that changes it to English for you. Give it a go and you might find the answer?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PS It does say 17th Dezember (I think thats December wink )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Penkenbahn is closed - but maybe because it is too early in the season ?
====

edit

===

Opens on the 17th

https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mcpayner, I wouldn't rule out an outing on the train to another resort in the Zillertal valley. Super easy to hop on the train at Mayrhofen station. If you get the Zillertal valley lift pass the train is included if you are in ski gear.

Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller are both good areas. Better than Mayrhofen IMO.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - it would have been easier to try on desktop rather than phone to see the translation toggle but hey ho.

After having flights cancelled twice I was fearing the worst but looks like the trip is on!

Thanks re the zillertall suggestion - I was planning on getting the all in one pass that covers everything so maybe I will give it a go!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mcpayner, to get to Zillertal Arena take the train to Zell am Ziller then get the waiting red line bus to either of the two gondolas. To get to Kaltenbach gondola get off at Kaltenbach station and just follow everybody else and walk about 400m to the gondola. Trains run every half hour.
This is the timetable.
https://www.zillertalbahn.at/data.cfm?vpath=ma-wartbare-inhalte/ma-downloadfiles/fahrplan-2022_a3-stand-22112021
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mcpayner wrote:
Thanks - it would have been easier to try on desktop rather than phone to see the translation toggle but hey ho.

After having flights cancelled twice I was fearing the worst but looks like the trip is on!

Thanks re the zillertall suggestion - I was planning on getting the all in one pass that covers everything so maybe I will give it a go!

Getting the bus to GerlosPass makes a great day out too. (takes about an hour). You can ski the Hochkrimml - Gerlosplatte section and then cross back to do Koenigsleiten and then work your way all the way back to Zell. It's not a disaster if wx closes the link to Zell, as it once did to me, because you can just descend at Gerlos/Isskogel and get the bus back from there. It makes a great day trip.

Also don't miss out Kaltenbach on the train, it's a huge area all the way to Hochfugen and the Kaltenbach skiing is great too. Skiroute 17 down to Aschau is awesome - you have to get the local bus to Kaltenbach but they're regular. And to finish the day stop halfway down to Kaltenbach (just above the middle station) for Jagertee till the lifts stop and then down the "Stephan Eberharter Goldpiste) which is floodlit and a lovely experience - once it was snowing dinner plates and it was absolutely magical.

I love that area - I end up skiing those two more than mayrhofen even though that's where I stay!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy