Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brands with traction tech

Poster: A snowHead
Visible bumps:
Lib Tech /GNU
Rossignol
Jones
Arbor
Yes

And to a lesser degree:
Burton
Salomon

Nothing really:
Capita
K2

Have I got that right? Any brands (smaller?) I've missed?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As far as I know from memory Yes. doesn't have 'traction tech' possibly some Capita boards do. Whats the purpose of the thread?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is traction tech?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ozboy, I think they are skis or snowboards with electric motors driving a belt that rest on the snow and gives you traction when going uphill. A bit like a cross between snowmobiles and those small electric scooters that are everywhere these day. Hence traction and tech. They are probably very good for ski touring
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The brand name is Magnetraction @Ozboy.

Basically you get a wavey edge, normally around the binding positions, which allows you to put additional pressure points down along the edge to help cut into icy surfaces.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Full points to Richard. I've heard it called traction tech or disrupted edges or Mangetraction - but of course that's a Lib trademark.

YES call it Under/Mid bite I think. Kind of the opposite but the same and Mangetraction.

Purposes of this thread? Just thinking about options for my next board.

I've ridden two boards with some sort of traction tech (couple of hours each). Unfortunately there was no ice around so couldn't tell if it worked for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
earl wrote:
......Unfortunately there was no ice around so..........

First time I've ever heard a boarder utter that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@earl, I have a GNU Riders Choice, asymm, nice board and cuts through hard packed conditions a bit better than most board I have been on.

The Asymm geometry helps too and when you put the two together is gives a really good grip

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 10-01-22 2:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent all of last season riding a 4m deep base of blue ice after a nasty season opening storm. Have a yes optimistic and a Rossi xv - didn’t think much of the yes edge tech v Rossi in those, admittedly extreme conditions.

Still a great board but I thought it was pretty sketchy on ice, if that matters.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hang11,

The magetraction on my Krypto works very well! Sometimes too well and becomes a bit catchy in combination with the stiff deck.

The more mellow version on my Hovercraft is just perfect IME

@rayscoops,

Id like to try an asym board
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh. That. You need this.. the model list is presumably out of date, but the physics isn't:

http://youtube.com/v/IRIt2rna2Pk
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
earl wrote:
YES call it Under/Mid bite I think. Kind of the opposite but the same and Mangetraction.

Oh yeah that rings a bell. Didn't impress me much tbh. Magnatraction is more profound so you might notice that. I've ridden a few boards with it and they felt biteyer!

There's no substitute for great technique though so choose the right board for you not based on edges.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or just buy a stomp pad…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
Or just buy a stomp pad…

Stomps are a very different thing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Or just buy a stomp pad…

Stomps are for putting you back foot on when you are getting on/off a lift and scooting along on flats. They have nothing to do with edge technology which have improved grip to help with riding pistes in icy conditions.
snow report
@philwig, that video is really useful!
snow report
So the original traction techs were libs bananas - full rocker , soft to med flex.

Does traction translate well to stiffer, more camber dominate boards?

Rocker doesn't seam too.
I've got a soft full rocker board. That rides nice for what it is. I've tested a stiff v-rocker - that was horrible.
snow conditions
So I'm wondering from a design pov, the stiffer the board, the more camber, the less pronounced the bumps should be?
latest report
@earl, I think technology has moved on from simple rocker, my board has rocker between the bindings that changes to camber, serrated edges & an effectively longer heel edge ... all as a twin tip

I think Laughing
snow report
earl wrote:
Full points to Richard. I've heard it called traction tech or disrupted edges or Mangetraction - but of course that's a Lib trademark.

Purposes of this thread? Just thinking about options for my next board.

I've ridden two boards with some sort of traction tech (couple of hours each). Unfortunately there was no ice around so couldn't tell if it worked for me.

I find the rossi LF & XV are like being on rails.
snow conditions
^agree. I’ve got north of 150 days on my XV, it’s my favourite board, just precise and fast and easy to trust. The magnetraction bumps on it are really pronounced.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy