Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cormayeur 21/22

Poster: A snowHead
First trip to Courmayeur this season. Monday last week before christmas holidays, and after the Italian holiday week. Empty, and by empty I mean we were still skiing fresh piste at 2pm! Most stuff open, no Arp/Yula and the 2 man chair on the Val Veny/Zerrota side was also shut. Not as much snow as Chamonix, But not hurting for snow either. Pistes, neaar perfect. Off piste a little wind affected up high, heavy in the trees and mashed spuds down low. Not a full base off piste in all areas, but everywhere skiable with care. Loads of fresh track available, most places.

Had to stop for coffee as soon as we could justify it. With fresh cream donut and cream croisant at Chez Roux. Lunch down at Captain des Alps (Zerrota LHS)

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied Courmayeur today. Less snow than in the above pics. Most pistes open, but all very hard artificial snow. Arp and Yula open, but bar the main Arp piste, nothing skiable up there. The buisiest I've seen it in a long time and almost exclusively Italian clientel. A cold bisse type wind and visible polution in the Aosta vallee! Coffee and food good as always.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Found a Courmayeur thread, first visit, surprisingly big town, classic slate roofs and some enormous chalets, biggest I’ve ever seen in a resort, mansions really.

Headed up the skyway lift to Punta Helbronner at 3500m to walk in fresh snow and feel some zero temps. Lift was built in 2015, at a cost of 120-130 million euros, but we worked out its pay back is only a few more years as it probably takes in 10-15m pa. Really impressive system, as the bubble spins 360 degrees slowly as you climb from 1200 to 3500m.

Saw a bloke ski touring over from Chamonix side in the fresh snow and downloading…..jealous but inspiring

Glass bottom platform at 3400m

Smart Refugio at Pavillion 2200m

Tracks from the north

Looking SW

Breakfast view from hotel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brilliant lift that! Brave tourer taking in the crevasses this early Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, yep dodgy but the snow looked great, a lot of fresh up there.

Btw anyone who isn’t aware (me until Thursday) the Mont Blanc tunnel is closed for 3 weeks until 7th? November. So instead of a one hour ish trip it’s about 3-4 hours for us now via st Bernard pass, Martingy, Morgins, Chatel.

And we had 4 or 5 mini diversions along that route as well……that time of year
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How realistic is it to try for a day in Courmayeur if based in Cham and without a car? I’ll be there for a week in late January and even though using the guiding service is the priority a day in Italy might be nice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, dead easy, there's an early ish morning bus and a late ish afternoon return. Lunch at Maison Vieille (reservation recommended) ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name,
Tops. I’ll be sure to head there one day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can book the bus on the SAVDA website, I've often done the 8.30am there, 5pm back bus for a day in Courmayeur. I will second the recommendation for Maison Vieille!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We ate at La Palud (bottom of skyway lift) and Pizzaeria la Terrazza in town. Both excellent, and really in usual Italian style of putting the equivalent French experience into perspecitve, better ambiance, service, quantity and value for money in Italy.....and then you have the insane French idea of putting cream in a carbonara.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, be aware that the weather can be completely different on the two sides of Mt Blanc. I.e. horrible on the Chamonix side, glorious on the Italian side.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I thought cream in carbonara was a uniquely Australian thing.
@under a new name,
Interesting. How would a gaper Aussie tourist handle a snow day in Courmayeur? Any tree cover of significance?
Or just make sure that side of the mountain is left for a blue sky day?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, plenty of tree cover in places, but also two top cable cars which really deserve a bluebird day to enjoy the views from.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
@polo,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I thought cream in carbonara was a uniquely Australian thing.

Heathens do it in the UK as well (my gf included)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sbooker wrote:
@under a new name,

If you are a confident off piste skier, the skyway lift up to the Hellbronner and 2000m of vertical descent is a must do on a good weather day
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@under a new name,

If you are a confident off piste skier, the skyway lift up to the Hellbronner and 2000m of vertical descent is a must do on a good weather day

I’m confident but probably shouldn’t be. Smile
I’d go with a guide. The Chamonix guides office does daily outings. I wonder if they go to Courmayeur for the Hellbronner?
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
sbooker wrote:
@under a new name,

I’m confident but probably shouldn’t be. Smile
I’d go with a guide. The Chamonix guides office does daily outings. I wonder if they go to Courmayeur for the Hellbronner?

If you take a guide you can do a lap or two of the Hellbronner and then ski back to Chamonix via the Vallée noire. That would be a day to remember in decent conditions. Make sure to do your squats In preparation!!!
snow report
@BobinCH,
Sounds awesome.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy