Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2021/2022 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Quick update. Snowing so heavily now that I can barely see the trees across the piste from the hotel! I wish I could post a photo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@melbouch, that's the problem with the like of Flaine - no trees wink

It is snowing heavily in Chamonix right now. About 2 cms on my car in 30-40 minutes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, visibility is just as bad in Les Carroz village, where we have plenty of trees!

Has been snowing steadily since about 8am and I can't even see the end of road. Before that it was just so foggy that I couldn't see the end of the road.......

Having been begging for snow for weeks, I now want the visibility to improve immediately so I can go and make use of all that nice fresh powder. Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arriving tomorrow afternoon for another week of off-piste... The gods are smiling upon us... Gers, here we come...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still snowing!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Although the vis was poor today the fresh powder made for some very good skiing. Stayed in the Flaine bowl and mostly only went up Tete des Verds and then various off piste routes down from there. Judging by the ledge outside my apartment window I would say that we have had about 40cm of snow in the last 40 hours at resort level - I'm about 1700m up. The snow is very light and fluffy so will settle down to less depth but is lovely to ski on. I think this is probably the most snow since December. Did one trip up the DMC but the vis was rubbish at the top and not worth the effort of skiing down on bumpy pistes that you could hardly see.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chris Mason, shows you how different (further) valleys get it differently as I don't think we've had that much here. Will see what difference has been made on Sunday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We skied yesterday with guide. Vis terrible at top, but pistes below Lapiaz lift had decent amount of ungroomed powder and vis OK. In afternoon skied a bit in trees which had plenty of snow, so not too challenging. Snowed all day…
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BAN, yeah it's been snowing all yesterday and last night in Chamonix. I think there's maybe 2cms in my garden. (and it was -3 when I turned in and -3.7 when I woke up ...).

Obviously Twisted Evil rather more higher up but also sounded windy at times and cams look very drifty.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although the vis remains poor higher up, the on piste and off piste conditions today were some of the best, if not the best, all season. It has now stopped snowing, after about 60 hours of non-stop snow here in Flaine. I would guess that there has been up to 60cm of snow since Thursday morning. We were skiing in knee deep powder off the side of Almandine and under the Tetes des Verds chair this morning and although you had to go carefully because of the poor vis it was a great day to be in Flaine. We did try to go over to the other resorts but the vis at the top of Grands Vans was so bad that we turned back. I'd be interested to hear how the other GM resorts are faring.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chrismason You were looking good! We did much the same. Thigh deep off right hand side of Tourmaline!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 2-04-22 19:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deleted.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 2-04-22 19:09; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chris Mason, we also avoided anything high due to (lack of) visibility, so stayed in Carroz and Morillon. Visibility varied from time to time, but conditions were superb. Even in Morillon there was loads of snow and only the last 100m or so down to Sairon lift was a bit icy. Snow conditions all season (after we were allowed into France!) have been great despite the lack of fresh snow, but yesterday and today remind you just how lovely it is to have some nice fresh powder.

Looks like it will be clearer tomorrow for our final morning of the season, before we hit the road home in the afternoon. Just couldn't resist one extra morning with these snow conditions....... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It would be impolite not to, 1608!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If the sun comes out, it will be fantastic next week, rather different from when we left last weekend!
snow report
Thanks to all those who updated re: conditions a couple of weeks ago; I was near to cancelling but kept the faith and we are here in Flaine with more snow than we’ve had in the several January weeks we’ve been before! We drove via Eurotunnel on Friday (M20 closed in part so took an extra 2 hours), and then as we ascended to Flaine at about 3pm the roads were very snowy - we got almost to Les Carroz but needed to stop and put the snow chains on, as we’re many Brits. Snow is excellent though; we stayed in the Flaine bowl today and visibility was just ok from the top of Dessert Blanc. Roads seem a little clearer in the resort at least, so hopefully the road up is ok now.
snow conditions
We're also at Flaine and the conditions are simply fantastic. I was resigned to skiing on slush for the week, but today we've been skiing deep fresh powder.

Managed to drive all the way up at 5pm yesterday on CrossClimate tyres without resorting to chains. I cannot rate these tyres highly enough.
ski holidays
Great again today in Flaine, and I hear above Coulouvier lift on other side and steep stuff in Les Carroz.
Also drove up without chains around 6 p.m. yesterday. Above Les Carroz 30 kph, and fine except for last 800m after we had to move to side of road to let ski bus through!
ski holidays
For those in flaine at the moment, do most place accept cash or are they asking for card payments? We usually take cash but I suddenly panicked that lots of places here now ask for card only, and we won’t be able to spend our euros if flaine is the same.

So please to hear the recent snow reports so thanks for the updates everyone!
snow report
@BluesOnly I’m home now Sad But was out last week. Did not spend any cash at all but did see lots of people using cash so I’m not sure there is an issue. I had some just in case that will now roll over to the next holiday.
snow report
Skied Flaine all day yesterday with the kids. Knee deep powder and hardly a soul around. Spent today around Samoens and Morillon. Lots of powder in the usual places and still a chance to lay some fresh tracks. Pistes towards Morillon were deserted and a beautiful corduroy. A great end to the season so far…
latest report
@chenurator when you say usual places in Samoens, could you be a bit more specific? Snow at high levels in Flaine today still excellent, in particular off piste at top of Lindars Nord. At the bottom, off piste quite sticky and required speed to be maintained in turns: sometimes quite tricky!
latest report
@melbouch thank you!
snow report
@BluesOnly, I've only used my card since arriving in Flaine to draw cash and have never had a problem paying with cash. One café I was in yesterday had a sign that said minimum card payment was €10.

Sunday was wonderful off piste, when you could see where you were going.

Variable cloud today but the best skiing was in Flaine on piste in the morning. Off piste was hard work and not worth the effort, IMO. Went down to Carroz in the afternoon and was impressed at how good Timalets was. What did surprise me was that the Molliets chair was closed, I was told for the rest of the season, and that the Gron chair was closed, I don't know whether temporarily or for the rest of the season. There was also a sign at the bottom of the Aup de Veran saying that the Bois and Aujon drags were now closed for the season - as the runs beside the Aujon drag would appear to have been pisted I assume they are reserving the pistes for competition.
snow report
Well, that was my last day for the season. Clear sky this morning and the hard pistes soon softened up in the sun. The snow that fell about 6 days ago is disappearing fast, only to be expected at this stage in the season. The official last day of the season is 18 April and there should be enough snow to see most of the pistes through until then. Here's to next December!
ski holidays
Chris, Flaine.com is still showing upper and lower pistes as "fresh" (also in French). Is that now optimistic?
snow report
@billb there was some last night. Issue is rain:snow limit.
latest report
There are murmurs of Morillon and Les Carroz closing on Sunday…
That means Samoens would be the meeting point for ski lessons and the only way to access Flaine on snow…
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why would they shut Les Carroz early? We skied down Portet yesterday and the snow was still good.

Very different conditions today - it’s been sleet/snowing all day in Flaine - we used the Grand Vans first thing but couldn’t see much from the top so stayed in Flaine all day. Persuaded the kids to head back out this afternoon to do Mephisto from the top of the Aup de Veran bubble - piste was in great condition. Unlike the bottom of the Serpentine this morning which felt more like it was off piste!! Still sleeting/snowing in Flaine Foret right now. Hoping for a drier day tomorrow but not sure from the forecasts!
ski holidays
Lots of snow due tonight, tomorrow and Saturday so I would think new arrivals on Saturday will have a great week - Sunday looks like a powder day. Let’s hope everything stays open - I’m sure there will be lots of visitors for Easter too.
snow conditions
From the Grand Massif official Facebook page:

Eh oh! Weather Eh oh!
Eh oh! In view of the weather conditions for the next few days, we are forced to close the Morillon area (including Coulouvrier school) starting Wednesday, April 13th.

The BIG MASSIF remains open as planned until Monday 18th April (Easter Monday) Eh oh!
snow report
Rained most of the day in the lower parts of Flaine today, but up top there is a LOT of fresh powder - if you can get to it - most of the lifts shut today (all links were closed), including the Aup de Veran and DMC cable cars after lunch. Gave us limited options but we managed to use the Tetes des Verds this afternoon to run down to resort in fresh powder for our last runs of the holiday. Despite the rain the pistes at the bottom are still full of snow - they just got a bit sticky at times with the rain.

Driving back tomorrow - roads clear currently but temperatures expected to drop tomorrow and snow down to resort so may be needing the chains again Sad
latest report
Sunny Sunday, skied guiding vi skier over lunch until about 4.30pm, timalets is a bit thin at the top, and everything is sticky lower down. Bottom of sairon was hard work, but top is very pleasant, best snow was in samoens and we did a few laps of charande express, not busy, most gone to flaine??
ski holidays
Flaine relatively busy today for mid-April, but very good snow on piste above 1800m and plenty of powder off-piste, which was very popular. Skied back to Les Carroz via Perce Neige and Combe at midday, snow very good all the way down. Forecasted to get much warmer over next 2 days so slopes will start to return to "freeze/thaw".
latest report
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but specifically wanted some Grand Massif advice as have never been before. Looking at Feb half term 2023 (it's a GCSE year so can't do Easter) and really need to find somewhere easy to drive to from the UK. We've been many Feb half terms so I know that it's never as quick/easy as it sounds! Have been suggested Grand Massif (PDS and Evasion Mont Blanc areas). Assume the resort is all easily linked together? And which resort to drive to - obviously central might be better but not sure which of the resorts is quickest to reach (want to avoid nasty windy roads due to carsick kids!). Thanks
snow report
@Kettonskimum1971, it's probably best to post in Resort reviews section. However, I've been to the GM many times including this March. We've always gone to Flaine (within the GM) because it has the best snow and a large natural bowl with many pistes plus it's easy to book an apartment. However, it's the furthest of the GM resorts to get to with a lot of hairpins. Les Carroz is the nearest and is a "proper" village so may appeal to you. I've never stayed there but @Zorrac, who is often on this thread, knows it well and can tell you more than I can. The GM is quite well linked and a competent blue run skier can get to all the villages. I think the GM is possibly under-rated compared to the "big" French resorts and I'd happily ski there and nowhere else.
snow report
The most hairpinless would be the villages of Morillon and Samoens, they are at the bottom of the valley.

Samoens is a little better in terms of connectivity, but in February the skiing is great everywhere.
snow report
alexsas wrote:
The most hairpinless would be the villages of Morillon and Samoens, they are at the bottom of the valley.

Yes, agreed. I was thinking of the Flaine road via Araches and Les Carroz as that's the one we use but you're soon into hairpins on that.
snow report
Season ski passes details up on lescarroz.com, make sure you remember the dates as earlier than it used to be

deadline for the very cheap rate is end October, then slightly less cheap rate end November

https://www.lescarroz.com/en/ski-passes/season-ski-pass/
ski holidays
Zorrac wrote:
Season ski passes details up on lescarroz.com, make sure you remember the dates as earlier than it used to be

deadline for the very cheap rate is end October, then slightly less cheap rate end November

https://www.lescarroz.com/en/ski-passes/season-ski-pass/

Thanks, much earlier this year! Still waiting on refund of an unused GM season pass from last year, has anyone else been refunded yet for one?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy