Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Skiing sunglasses??

Poster: A snowHead
My faithful Oakley fives have just been found broken in my kitchen drawer!

They've served me for years for skiing, kiting, general beach wear etc!

Anyone got any recommened models to try out?

I like the optics of Oakleys, I saw the "racing jackets" on the web, anyone tried these for skiing?

Or any other recommended models? Purely used in sun for keeping wind out of the eyes at high speed as well as keeping the sun out! I use goggles in snowy weather.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

You'll be hard pushed to find another pair that work for you as well as your old ones, send 'em in for repair or ebay another pair.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the Oakley Half-Jackets with interchangeable lenses, although there are other brands which offer the same feature. Easy to carry a pair of alternate colour lenses when you're out for the day, and if the light changes considerably it's just a few seconds to swop from dark to light or vice versa.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
do they give sufficient protection from rushing wind Rob, ie prevent tears forming (not from fear!!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've not found them different in that respect from other sunglasses. If I'm going really quick only goggles will stop my eyes from watering, but for regular skiing the Half Jackets are as good as any other glasses I've worn.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, half jackets plus a jacket and a half. A cool combo wink .

I have tried lots of sunnies and always had wind tears even at moderate speed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

A compromise might be these.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk, step up to the plate for a real compromise. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, don't laugh, but I think I might have had a pair of Brikos like those a few years ago, although not in such ludicrous colours (I don't do ludicrous colours Embarassed ). Thery really weren't that good so I ditched them after a couple of week's use and bought some Oakleys.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

(I don't do ludicrous colours ).

Who are you trying to kid? Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, the ones I use are these, which do a fine job at keeping the wind out except on the most blustery days. I also reckon I can lose/break/f**k up a set each and every year for about the next decade and still come out ahead on the deal over a pair of Oakleys.

I did once, egged on by my style-victim brother, have a pair of Maui Jim sunnies that were lovely and light, but pretty rubbish at keeping wind out. I lost them after about 6 months Sad (they were in a bag that was nicked). I could have got about 15 replacement sets of those cheapies with the money I blew on the flash ones.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh, If you find yourself near Portsmouth there is an Oakley factory shop at Gunwharf Quay with very good reductions on the full price.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlatanefc wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

(I don't do ludicrous colours ).

Who are you trying to kid? Wink

Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
send em back to Oakley - chances are they'll stick them in a new frame for next to nothing (or even for free). If they can't help, they generally give you a hefty discount (50% in my case) on a new pair from the current range.

Oakley customer service has to be amongst the best I've experienced and is probably part of the reason I'm on my fifth pair...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
starnberg wrote:
Oakley customer service has to be amongst the best I've experienced and is probably part of the reason I'm on my fifth pair...

I agree. I've had a couple of pairs replaced free of charge (although I think the fact that they cost pennies to manufacture with huge profit margins means that Oakley probably aren't being too magnanimous!).
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:

You'll be hard pushed to find another pair that work for you as well as your old ones, send 'em in for repair or ebay another pair.

I've been in contact with Oakley, they no longer have parts for the origional Five, but can offer me a "trade in" to Fives 2.0

Guess I go better try some on!

No offensive Graham, but those sunglasses look cheap n nasty IMHO!!!

My feeling is I only have one set of eyes so want to look after them! To me Oakleys have v good optical clarity, 100% block of harmful UV whilst being very tough.

Also agree that their customer service is superb, they replaced the frames on these ones after 6 years at no charge!

regards,

Greg
latest report
gregh, no offense taken. Cheap certainly, nasty is a value judgement - I prefer "cheerful" Wink . Looks like you may have a point on UV protection though - I thought they did, but can't see anything claimed about that now. I have seen some others about £15 (with the usual three sets of interchangeable lenses) that do though. I just don't get the obsession with fancy glasses though - OK so you can relplace e.g. broken side pieces, but even that seems to cost about £25 a time (as experienced by two skiing colleagues this year).
ski holidays
I can't believe so many people wear sunnies for skiing - I just can't get on with contacts without goggles plus they strap to my helmet so I don't lose them in a fall & even for mountain biking prefer fairly close fitting wrap arounds. Lots of cheap glasses have full UV protection e.g. Decathlon. I can believe Oakleys are great quality but I still snapped the only pair I've ever owned and have not been inclined to spend the same amount again. I've always thought of them as like premium car makes
latest report
cheers Graham Very Happy It would be interesting for you to test side by side something like Oakleys vs your glasses and see if the marketing blurb about optical clarity etc holds true! I do find them really good in flat light, and only really switch to my goggles in snow.

fatbob, for me

goggles + sun =

+ they are alot hotter on your face.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
gregh, nice photo. If wearing goggles made me look as cute as that I think I'd wear them all year round, home and abroad Smile
snow report
I get headaches on bright days if i don't wear sunglasses, especially if i ski or sail (bc of the glare). The only two brands i like are Oakleys and Cebe. I've tried a lot of others like Bolle, Ray Ban etc. None come close.
I use a pair of XX Oakleys for sports. Big frame, keep the wind out, no probs with contact lenses (but wind might be a problem with frames like half jackets).I don't think Oakleys are expensive: i've had mine for 5 or 6 years and they still are in good shape . 15-20$ per year is not much for quality sunglasess.
I'm now looking to try Rudy Project as i've heard very good things about them.
About goggles: they let more light trough (even the dark ones) wich i'dont like and if it's not very cold i overheat wearing them.
latest report
I feel so -cheap- now with my Julbos.
ski holidays
Once you have got shades that keep out the uv, surely the only consideration is that Oakleys are WAY the coolest! Cool
ski holidays
Not sure about for skiing but if you're into water borne kiting these are great (if not essential) if you're doing it somewhere sunny (which is the only place I'd consider it)

http://www.gillmarine.com/section_header_pages/product_details.asp?id=303&sub_cat_code=23
snow report
Oakley fives are about the greatest pair of glasses I have ever had. I've had about five pairs over the last ten years, lost, scratched etc under severe duress. Best thing about them is for example this weekend, arm came off in transit, just push it back in and it's as good as new. Fives 2.0 can be bought for about £60, they arent the £100+ quid Oakley rip offs.
latest report
gregh, no need to worry. You'll always just be to us.
ski holidays
comprex,

Nothing wrong with Julbo', I bought a pair of glacier glasses in '85 and they are absoluletly the DB's...

Toughened glass and superb optical quality.... The best ski eyewear I've ever come across and I've tried a few.
And I'm used to Ziess, Nikon and Hoya prescription lenses
snow report
I'm am thinking of replacing my ageing Cebe's with a pair of Oakley halfjackets. Any recommendation on lens for skiing. Other threads suggest Fire Persimmion.

Also what about buying them, Ebay has some cheap offerings.

I really like polaroid lense but they are £250 in snow and Rock, even Ebay will be too dear for those.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike,

I tried the halfjackers (abliet in a shop, not skiing) but they didn't seem to wrap around as much as I'd like for a skiing sunglass, hence I reckon I'm going with the "Monster Dogs"

Regards,

Greg
latest report
Got my oakley 5's for under £30 off ebay (they're real, they have the box, guarantee, etc etc). You have to spend a fair amount of time trawling in the 'bay to find a bargain (north face soft shell jacket 30 euros anyone...? ) as there's so much junk up there. New "Spyder" ski jacket, starting bid 99p from Thailand?? I think not - I'd sooner trust a French Ski Instructor with my girlfriend.
ski holidays
I have a pair of Full Metal Jackets, which are a few years old now, but on my last trip i noticed a hairline crack at the nosepiece. I haven't worked out how deep it is or how long they will last.
Was thinking of replacing with Oakley Fives/FIves2.0 or maybe another pair, but I note that these (and some others) are listed as 'made for smaller faces'. Are they really smaller? or are they just single size but designed to be bendy so they still 'grip-on' to smaller faces?
Not looked at any in a shop yet - only going by online pics, so might change mind at purchase time.
Wouldn't mind a pair that works both on the ski-slope and whilst mountian biking in the German forests, so interchangeable lens could be a bonus, so long as they don't wear out when clipping lenses in/out.
snow conditions
andy, post 'em back to Oakley, I had similiar in my fives and they fixed 'em for free Very Happy
snow report
Bit late to post on this thread, but some might be interested. Recently bought a pair of Cebe Bumbles, tried a lot of sunglasses on, some at double the price, but I got the Bumbles as they were BY FAR the best fitting, and best over all coverage. The lenses give 100% UV protection and come in variuos shades. Only down side, they don't seem to do them with Polarized lenses, which I tend to prefer. Cost £50 - though I've since found them on the web a little cheaper.
snow report
"New "Spyder" ski jacket, starting bid 99p from Thailand?? I think not - I'd sooner trust a French Ski Instructor with my girlfriend."

VEry funny but so true. What is it with the spyder ripoffs at the minute. I myself need some new sunnies very pleased with my oakley why 8.2 but need something that wraps around. will have a look at the fives. Anyone tried the adidias climacool glasses.
snow report
Edmundh009, If you want wraps have a look at the Oakley M frames - choice of lense shapes & heights in all the best skiing shades.
ski holidays
will do cheers jon.
ski holidays
I just got some Oakley Monster Dogs, great wraparound, now just need to try them out skiing!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
What can I say? I love my Oakleys, wear them practically every day of the year, have had them for about 5 years, expensive to buy in teh first place but the best value sunnies I've ever had, bar none. Remarkably robust. I can't *wear* glasses to ski at any speed as my eyes water really quickly, but they're always in my pocket for lunch/beer stops.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy