Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner ski recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My old mate wants to start skiing again. Wants to buy a pair of skis, already has boots. Needs something nice and easy. Any recommendations or is it all much of a muchness?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-12-21 20:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you looking for suggestions of resorts? I am not sure anyone is going to come up with ideas you won't have yourself.

However I thought Valmorel was a great place for those a little cautious. It has a very good network of blue and green runs to give confidence to someone wanting to feel they can go for "proper" trips, in this case over to St Francois Longchamps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A couple of questions:

- How long is it since he skied and how good was he?
- Is it purely a Piste ski you are looking at?
- Is renting a sensible option?

Edit. Is it a resort you are after?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
My old mate wants to start skiing again.

If its a ski you’re after and he/she has skied before, I doubt it will take long at all to get past the “beginner” stage, so maybe a beginner ski is not going to be much of a lasting solution. Maybe rent to get past the initial re-learning or straight to an intermediate ski (of which there seems to be a plethora.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, yes looking for a ski. He’s an old duffer so just needs something to get to the restaurant for lunch. Can’t see him getting past beginner level. He’s got a place in Verbier so buying probably a better bet than renting.

I’d put him on my piste skis but they’re a bit stiff so worried he might kill himself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe something from this selection: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski/pack-ski-bindings/men/beginner-intermediate/?facetFilters%5Bf_488466%5D%5BGLIS_CHAR_SKI_CATEGORY_7129%5D=1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
He’s got a place in Verbier so buying probably a better bet than renting.

But then he needs the “right” ski for such a locale, perhaps https://www.lacroix-skis.com/skis-creations/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I put that skill set type onto twin tip park ratty skis as they are so accepting of wonky "driver" input, softness in torsional tip and tail gives a wonderful Latitude for someone to move around and bring some confidence into skiing without getting bitten by high edge grip when theyve not got the response embedded to casually control a ski.

I know that's not the absolutely right way to look at it in classic teaching, but it will give them an easier time with more gentle response to bring their skills to more functional levels.

Had a debate with couple of friends that are long term ski instructors, around the question of "do skiers have more injury potential from too much grip, as opposed to a more gentle and kind release of edge grip" we ended up with "caught an edge" definition being the descriptor of candidate being unable to adequately control the edges at their disposal, and by default, giving them a less grippy edge hold can be beneficial.
Many fear they will crash if they don't have enough edge potency, but there's less real risk with a ski at lowered total edge potency.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski3, interesting. I found these Armada Arv 84 twin tips in a 171 (he’s 180cm / 80kg’s)
https://www.ekosport.ch/armada-arv-84-long-marker-11.0-tcx-black-anthracite-p-P00040723.html

Or these more traditional Salomon Stance 80’s in a 177 (or 169)
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/salomon/stance-80-m11-gw.html

Or these Rossignol Experience 80’s in a 174

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/rossignol/experience-80-ca-xp-11.html

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, Hire and go play with some skilled mates to coach him back to basics then upgrad to new skills for new kit.
The more you play, the more fun you can have.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In general I'd say avoid the cheapest range of beginners skis. i.e. those with a capped construction and no sidewall. You really want to look at at the next level up.

I really liked the Rossignol Pursuit Skis when I used some a few years back. They were light, responsive and very use to use. They've since been replaced by the React range that look as if they might be ideal for what your friend is after.

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-intermediate/ski-reviews-2020-rossignol-react-r6-compact/685

The R6 is the one with the sidewall that would a perfect fit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
olderscot wrote:
In general I'd say avoid the cheapest range of beginners skis. i.e. those with a capped construction and no sidewall. You really want to look at at the next level up.

I really liked the Rossignol Pursuit Skis when I used some a few years back. They were light, responsive and very use to use. They've since been replaced by the React range that look as if they might be ideal for what your friend is after.

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s-intermediate/ski-reviews-2020-rossignol-react-r6-compact/685

The R6 is the one with the sidewall that would a perfect fit.

Thanks for the recommendation. Says Intermediate to advanced. Wouldn’t be too stiff for a beginner?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Says Intermediate to advanced. Wouldn’t be too stiff for a beginner?

I wouldn't say so. These are very easy to use and accessible skis and I suspect the only reason they don't say suitable for beginners at this level of ski is that no-one looking buy a halfway decent ski is ever going to buy something rated suitable for beginners. That and the skis they aim at beginners are really focused on being as low cost as possible.

I'm not sure beginners really need a softer ski than intermediates as they're most likely going to be skidding or snow ploughing their turns.

If you look at the review they certainly seem to think they're suitable for beginners.

Quote:
The React R6 Compact excels in this category, where we are looking for skis that are accessible at the lowest levels and able to advance the skier towards a more technical practice.

As far as accessibility is concerned, it perfectly fulfils the contract. The ski, considered "very balanced", "safe", creates confidence "from the first turns". The reviewers particularly appreciated a "perfect pivot" making it possible to put the ski into curves very easily when flat. Skidding is "comfortable", intuitive and "consistent".
The icing on the cake is that the ski has a natural tendency to loop the curve, which will appeal to skiers with a low technical level.

At the end of the day though you know what he's after better than I do. I'm just thinking that if he's going to buy a set of skis then he might be better off with something that is easy to use and will also last well and have scope for him to improve if he ever wants to.

If it is real beginner ski he's after then the R2 or R4 range of the same ski will probably suit him fine too.

I see Glisshop are doing the R2 for around £200 with an extra 15% off for the next two days which can't be bad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say so. These are very easy to use and accessible skis and I suspect the only reason they don't say suitable for beginners at this level of ski is that no-one looking buy a halfway decent ski is ever going to buy something rated suitable for beginners. That and the skis they aim at beginners are really focused on being as low cost as possible.

I'm not sure beginners really need a softer ski than intermediates as they're most likely going to be skidding or snow ploughing their turns.

If you look at the review they certainly seem to think they're suitable for beginners.

Quote:
The React R6 Compact excels in this category, where we are looking for skis that are accessible at the lowest levels and able to advance the skier towards a more technical practice.

As far as accessibility is concerned, it perfectly fulfils the contract. The ski, considered "very balanced", "safe", creates confidence "from the first turns". The reviewers particularly appreciated a "perfect pivot" making it possible to put the ski into curves very easily when flat. Skidding is "comfortable", intuitive and "consistent".
The icing on the cake is that the ski has a natural tendency to loop the curve, which will appeal to skiers with a low technical level.

At the end of the day though you know what he's after better than I do. I'm just thinking that if he's going to buy a set of skis then he might be better off with something that is easy to use and will also last well and have scope for him to improve if he ever wants to.

If it is real beginner ski he's after then the R2 or R4 range of the same ski will probably suit him fine too.

I see Glisshop are doing the R2 for around £200 with an extra 15% off for the next two days which can't be bad.

Looks perfect. Thanks for the tip!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy