Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my new skis too big for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, my first thread on here - thanks for having me Smile

In lockdown I bought some Faction Candide 2.0s (188cm) 2019 Edition on sale at a good price. When checking on the faction size guide, I thought they'd be an okay size for me. However, when they arrived, I've been having second thoughts. I'm an advanced skier (not expert); 181cm tall and I weigh 65kg. I've currently got them bindingless so hence I'm asking before I binding them up and then reduce the chances of reselling should I need to.

Thoughts?

All the best,
Theo Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-12-21 21:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO opinion maybe a bit too long, given that you appear to be a little on the light side. maybe something around 180cm would suit better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maybe one size too long, i'm 175cm and ski 177/179 however if id got a bargain or got handed a set longer I'd be happy enough, the rocker makes them ski a little shorter anyhow and they're great skis, the extra length just means they wont be quite as maneuverable and a bit slower edge to edge but more stable at speed.
the nice thing about having them is that you'll get used to then, if you want to make sure you can sell them on try to get a "demo" binding that can fit any size boot, there's also some bindings that can accommodate deferent boot sizes without re-drilling e.g, marker schizo.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon 178 would be right for you. 183 if you’re a strong skier skiing fast. 188 is too long and will be a handful
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a bit taller and 15-20kgs heavier and I still always go for the second longest rather than the longest whenever there are 4 or 5 sizes to choose from.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Theo+84, I'm the same weight as you, 6 cm shorter so you have a little extra leverage, but not much. Ability wise, hard to say but probably similar. There's no way I'd be comfortable with those skis in the 188 length. I'd be looking at the 178s probably.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skis don't know how tall you are ... I'm 60kgs and reasonably competent, my daily drivers are 173cms ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm around 67kg and have some Scott The Ski in a 180. I am happy on a longer ski (used to ski 2m back in the day), but only if on the more playful side. I would not want to be on anything longer - so I'm with all those who say that these are at least one size too long.

BTW. Welcome to the mayhem.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Skis don't know how tall you are ... I'm 60kgs and reasonably competent, my daily drivers are 173cms ...

Feckin lightweight Laughing

Though I'd surmise maybe skis are a tad too long, though depends on the shovels at the tip etc
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm 70kg and my main off-piste powder skis the last few years are 184cm (but ski a little shorter due to a slight rocker)

I wouldn't particularly want to be on anything longer though.

My new ski touring setup is shorter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don‘t blame the skis, it‘s all your fault for being too short or not eating enough pies. wink

PS Welcome to snowheads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, you mean mine? Mrs U is lighter than me and hers are 177s. I fear I need a longer and phatter pair, for all the powder we left behind in Cham-onix to scrape around in Cham-poluc Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, I mean your weight of 60kg, impressive!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with everyone else - I'm a bit heavier than you and probably a somewhat stronger skier. I've got something fairly similar in 186 and I've never wished they were longer but occasionally shorter
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all for your comments! I headed to MK today to test out some 178s (CT2.0s) in light of what you've all suggested and they felt right ... any longer would feel too long and heavy. So I've decided to flip / swap / move to some 178s. HMU if you're interested in the 188cms (they're on FB marketplace now). Thanks again! Really great to get some second opinions Smile
snow conditions
Good job....and imv a sensible move.
latest report
Definitely too long and will probably kill you. Simply post them to me and I'll kindly get rid of them for you. wink
snow report
In my mind, it's very personal thing, so it's pretty much useless to ask here. For me, they are definitely not too long. I'm always getting longest skis you can get, so 188cm is just fine for my taste (I'm 181cm too), and it wouldn't hurt if they would be another few cm longer. They are slightly more demanding on way up, but for down, the longer the better. Ok I admit if there's any chance for free course, my favorite on piste ski is World cup stock SG ski, so maybe I have some preference from there also for backcountry Smile
ski holidays
I'm a little bit shorter than you at 178 / 179cm and ski the Dynastar Mythic 97 in a 184cm length - (Its a dam site more than 5cm taller than me tho!)
Like you I thought, hmmm what have I let myself in for!, However I have to say I prefer the long length, uber stable (IMHO) and great fun when blasting around
FYI im not a 'fast' straight down skiier, Im of the powder 8 variety and love moguls, the skis have never stopped me, There my 'go to' ski 99% of the time

Skinning is no problem as they have flat tails.... I note the Factions are twin tip so if your aim is to tour occasionally with them just do your kick turns properly.

Final thought, a longer ski made me a better skier, makes you have to drive them rather than sit back and cruise (IMHO - and probably ski dependent)

And .... the ski doesn't know how tall you are!
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
In my mind, it's very personal thing, so it's pretty much useless to ask here. For me, they are definitely not too long. I'm always getting longest skis you can get, so 188cm is just fine for my taste (I'm 181cm too), and it wouldn't hurt if they would be another few cm longer. They are slightly more demanding on way up, but for down, the longer the better. Ok I admit if there's any chance for free course, my favorite on piste ski is World cup stock SG ski, so maybe I have some preference from there also for backcountry Smile

Except he did ask here, got good advice, tried some shorter skis and felt they were right. What a bizarre comment rolling eyes
snow conditions
@primoz, it's not that much of a personal thing, any more than DIN settings are a personal thing. Almost any professional (instructor, ski tech, reputable shop, whatever) will tell you if the skis are taller than the skier then they're too long. You'd be pushed to get a hire shop to let you walk out with skis that are taller than yourself purely on safety grounds, same as they wouldn't crank up the DIN just cos you said you prefer it on 12 instead of a 7 (for example).

Also, you'll look a bit of a berk in the lift queue with your skis towering over you.
ski holidays
Personally, I focus more on Weight, than Height - and also Ability and Use. Then there is Ski Construction and Personal Preference. All this goes into the mix, with some elements being more important than others.

Averages work a lot of the time, but fall short when you vary significantly from "The Average".

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 13-12-21 15:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
Also, you'll look a bit of a berk in the lift queue with your skis towering over you.

depends on the lift queue Toofy Grin

I think this is a case of "if you have to ask, the answer is yes." People who ski long skis generally know why

http://youtube.com/v/2WrRz5fkfBU
snow conditions
@Dr John, ah ok. Sorry I'm not all that experienced with skiing, and therefore obviously got all my skis, except race SL skis that are 165cm, way too long. I should have asked on forum (or instructor, ski tech, reputable shop, whatever) to get proper advice and get skis, that are correct side.
snow report
@Dr John, I take it you were not skiing in the 80's Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I was. It was horrible,
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@primoz, it's not that much of a personal thing, any more than DIN settings are a personal thing. Almost any professional (instructor, ski tech, reputable shop, whatever) will tell you if the skis are taller than the skier then they're too long. You'd be pushed to get a hire shop to let you walk out with skis that are taller than yourself purely on safety grounds, same as they wouldn't crank up the DIN just cos you said you prefer it on 12 instead of a 7 (for example).

Eh? Surely appropriate length depends on ski design and intended use?

One example - Black Crows Atris, manufacturer recommends 189 ski for skier over 185 tall (https://www.black-crows.com/fr/en/p/atris/101213-darkblue-bianchi-vg.html). There’s plenty other examples out there…
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:

Oooh, Innsbruck would be a bit of an eye-opener then Toofy Grin

I guess you could try a pro shoutout on the lift. Should have a reasonable hit ratio. Laughing

(height: 163cm, biggest skis: 171cm) wink
snow conditions
@Scarlet, yebbut your rad!

I'm 179cm and my longest currently 191cm, shortest 184cm (used to ski on 203GS skis back in the day though, albeit badly in moguls and powder.....great in a straight line on corduroy though). wink

I'll need 160cm's and ski school when I eventually see pow again, it'll be 2 years soon...... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I know you have already decided, but just to chip in I have the exact same skis, I’m 6ft2 and went with the 178, slightly short but that’s what I wanted, to be nimble as these will be a second pair for messing about and attempting skiing switch more and park.

For what it’s worth I contacted Faction on the different mounting points on this ski, this was their response:

So on the 178 cm, the true center is at 890 mm
The all-mountain mounting point is at 825 mm from tail which is - 65 mm from true center
The info should be printed on the sidewall of the skis

The CT line is 855 mm from tail which is -35 mm from true center
snow report
Dr John wrote:

All my skis are longer than me, Im 172cms smallest I have are 177cm going up to 187cm and I do believe a well known ski tech set my dins above the recommended setting.
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
Dr John wrote:

All my skis are longer than me, Im 172cms smallest I have are 177cm going up to 187cm and I do believe a well known ski tech set my dins above the recommended setting.

@Dr John had demonstrated in multiple threads in the past he doesn't have any real knowledge to share apart from making some blanket statements he randomly picked up (or about how something "look").

Like you, I've got some skis that are longer than I'm tall (and I'm "light for my height" even). Though I also have other skis that are a tad shorter than me.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@Dr John, I take it you were not skiing in the 80's Laughing

Goodness yes, I'm 175cm and my K2s somethings were 197. Like turning a ocean going tanker off-piste but in a straight line, my god they were stable
latest report
Pussies, all of you
ski holidays
@dsoutar, not K25500 by any chance? If so I had the same ski. Very fast. I was younger Smile
latest report
If they are rockers then the length of the ski is that which is touching the snow ..
ski holidays
At 65kg you can easily get away with something shorter. You don't need 188 cm, rockered or not, so why make it harder, especially when you will inevitably have to ski some moguls at so point. Do yourself a favour and drop down to 175-180cm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy