Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa - Surge pricing

Poster: A snowHead
So we're hoping to pop over on Wednesday, and lo and behold (I think we knew it was coming) - surge pricing!!

We will see how that works out!!

We'll also see how the online ticketing works. Different pages for Aosta and Piedmonte first accesses, for some reason.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This was a little eye opener for me. We had booked a week in March in Alagna. I went in to check the situation for ski passes this winter and on the Alagna site it says that they will have limited amount of ski passes available. When going in to online ticket site on Monte Rosa, there are no tickets available for February and early March. I cancelled the airbnb reservation and also cancelled the transportation from/to Malpensa. I had booked this with the tourist information. They replied that they did not understand why we had cancelled our trip to Alagna as they could book the ski cards for us. Hashtag: confussed!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
So we're hoping to pop over on Wednesday, and lo and behold (I think we knew it was coming) - surge pricing!!

We'll also see how the online ticketing works. Different pages for Aosta and Piedmonte first accesses, for some reason.

What the hell is surge pricing? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, whacking up the prices (presumably of the lift pass?) during popular times.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also referred to as dynamic pricing. A la Easy and Ryan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:

Do you think this has to do with the limited access the bubble cars give from Alagna as is the non availability from there in February?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Italian law now stipulates that lifts now run at 80% capacity to protect from Covid
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Bergmeister, whacking up the prices (presumably of the lift pass?) during popular times.

Thanks. I see. So what has been known for years as "supply and demand" now has a new name Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have never understood why lift passes aren't higher in times of high demand. Everything else is.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also called dynamic pricing.
https://www.smart-pricer.com/dynamic-pricing-for-ski-lifts-current-status-benefits-and-models/
https://www.smart-pricer.com/zermatt-extends-dynamic-pricing-with-smart-pricer-interview-with-markus-hasler-on-dynamic-pricing-and-alternatives-forski-resort-that-are-not-yet-ready-for-it-interview-part-1/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
I have never understood why lift passes aren't higher in times of high demand. Everything else is.

yep now that the tech is available to administer dynamic charging but I think it has more to do with moving to the American model of high daily charging vs lower season passes, as it provides forward funding, encourages fidelity with more visits, and given my experience, more missed payed for days as I always worked on 23 days at Monte Rosa which is a commitment if the desire to ski anywhere else other than the resort ticket is to be indulged...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Crevasse dweller, pretty powerful medicine that. Better than vaccines?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And Indren will be extra (as is now)?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mooney058, as has been for a few years
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, indeed, that is what I meant. Nice place though - to the left from lift exit went on my own. To the right went with a guide. I like the right side much better, but would not do it in my own (just yet)
latest report
Talking about increasing the prices. It's already an expensive sport and the demographics are hardly encouraging. Even in Austria 60% of the population have never skied (read in an article about the closure of a small area). Looks to me like they're listening to the wrong people
snow conditions
Look at skipass prices in the US and be horrified.
snow report
Wonder what this means for the Aosta valley pass ? (which we would be getting if we can get there in feb).
ski holidays
sugardaddy wrote:
Even in Austria 60% of the population have never skied (read in an article about the closure of a small area).

Not that I was doubting you ! But found this Smile . Sort of surprised that we are at 10% to be honest. Maybe it's because I live in the less prosperous north ? No idea how reliable the data is but it's from here https://www.statista.com

ski holidays
@skitow, Those numbers seem high, there was a recent statement from the new president of the French ski federation that only 8% of people in Haute-Savoie ski.
latest report
Even tho the prices are not the same every day it's still a very cheap area pass. Daily from €38 over next few weeks- more at weekends and over NY week understandably.
Quite a few weeks of the season seem to be blanked out/not available tho
snow report
Strange timing for introducing this new dynamic pricing model. Adding uncertainty in an already unpredictable winter seems counter-productive! I was in contact with the tourist information yday and according to them, they can sell 12000 ski passes daily. Strange then that sevaral weeks/months are unavailable at the moment on the web-page.
latest report
@alasdair.graham, I've just been on updating our cards, and I saw no blacked out dates?
snow conditions
@under a new name,

I think you have searched only for one or two days. When you are trying to buy a week pass you will see that several weeks are not available.
ski holidays
Woosh wrote:
Strange timing for introducing this new dynamic pricing model. Adding uncertainty in an already unpredictable winter seems counter-productive! I was in contact with the tourist information yday and according to them, they can sell 12000 ski passes daily. Strange then that sevaral weeks/months are unavailable at the moment on the web-page.

It is quite logical in my view.
Due to covid, you will need to have a system for reservation because the number of lift passes to be issued, is bound to a maximum.
This is a standard part of dynamic pricing systems. You can buy a certain number of lift passes at dynamic prices, beforehand. And the remainder is sold to the highest bidder.
Maximum number of passes sold? No more passes for sale.

The only thing they need to arrange properly, is that you can buy your skipass far enough ahead in time, for instance 6 months before arrival, at the same time when you are booking.
Not much sense in reserving a hotel or appartment, when you are not sure you will have the skipass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy