Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thigh Pain

Poster: A snowHead
Scarpa, I know the feeling Embarassed Getting on and off is got to be an exercise on its own..!
Nick_C, You better start calling them the 'Skier's Machine' from now on.
Linds, before I am able to answer your question, I need to know your height, weight, lifestyle, daily diet and how often you exercise per week. Linds.. without sounding too intrusive, why not email me those requirements I mentioned and I can happily respond by emailing you back your personal ski exercise programme to use at your convenience. I assure you, you will appreciate the difference when you start skiing next season! Cool
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Stephen although
Quote:
height, weight, lifestyle, daily diet and how often you exercise per week.

That information would be best shared by email Shocked Laughing
We could have done this when we had lunch in Meribel at the EOSB the other week rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Linds wrote:
Thanks Stephen although
Quote:
height, weight, lifestyle, daily diet and how often you exercise per week.

That information would be best shared by email Shocked Laughing .......

Don't forget a drop copy to your mates Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stephen Neal wrote:
........... But other than that, the quadriceps play no part in the actual sport of downhill skiing....

I think that's a little too black and white. There are plenty of situations where you need to call upon this group of muscles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My anatomy and biomechanics may be a little rusty, but I think your quadriceps are in a state of isometric contraction almost all the time when you are skiing, to allow you to ski with a bent knees posture, during this time they have to resist the forces (gravity, centrifugal) acting to cause your knees to bend further, and so could be considered to be doing work, even if this is only through a small range of their movement. The only times that they will not be active is when your knee is straight and in the locked position, which is to all intents and purposes is never in the course of a days skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer wrote:
My anatomy and biomechanics may be a little rusty,

But your gag reflex works fine Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As does yours! NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight wrote:
Stephen Neal wrote:
........... But other than that, the quadriceps play no part in the actual sport of downhill skiing....

I think that's a little too black and white. There are plenty of situations where you need to call upon this group of muscles.
Quote:
Thigh muscles are important for balance as well as the initiation and completion of the turns. The hamstring muscles protect the knee by reducing the anterior shear that the quadriceps creates at the tibia. Furthermore very high leg strength is required to overcome the enormous external forces developed during skiing. Good developed muscles allows the skier to function at lower percentage of maximal strength which may result in less occlusion of blood flow and greater resistance to fatigue (Haymes and Dickinson 1980).
(Even if there is more lateral movement in alpine skiing since the above was written.)
Still, I do see what Stephen Neal is getting at. Relatively less important, perhaps?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the salient point of all this is that no amount of conditioning will compensate for poor technique. I've always had well developed quads from cycling, but used to suffer from thigh burn skiing. Over the years it's eased considerably with improved technique. Get those hips forward!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, hear! hear!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the push! I'm going to immediately stop slouching over the keyboard, and go and do 20 mins on the Skier's Edge. (I'll try to remember to keep hips forward! Wink)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, you are correct, indeed we try to get more lateral bend/movement as opposed to just vertical flex/extend at a higher level of skiing.

However in deep powder, steeps, deep & steep for example......... lots of flex & extend to manage the pressure, so I question the black & white statement of

Quote:

snowHead

And what sordid tales have I missed about those gag reflexes? Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, nothing exciting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if anyone wants to try out a skiers edge machine, we have just had one installed at the clinic http://www.solutions4feet.com .... for the cost of a phone call to arrage a time anyone who wants can come and play on it...we are acting as a demo centre for skiers edge Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blast from the past, this thread. If you are a bit bored tonight, have a look at the utter twaddlesplosh of the link.
snow conditions
pam w, looks like it's already been removed!
ski holidays
mmm thread was there then it wasn't now it is back

Mods... when apost is edited do you think a mod note could be added something like " post edited due to ****" or "link removed for X reason"

just so we have 1/2 a clue
snow conditions
apologies all. i dealt with it, and didn't realise more people had posted on the thread since i dealt with it. Embarassed
ski holidays
Well there you go - I didn't know you were a mod sherlock235! Er, congratulations, I think wink
ski holidays
cathy, thanks, but shh i'm trying to keep it quiet!
latest report
sherlock235, you need to not have your name in orange then on the forum home page wink
ski holidays
i guess the cat's out of the bag then wink.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy