Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair Flight Refund?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having started the 'Taking Teenagers Skiing this Winter' thread back in October and seeing it grow to 20 pages now and reading about everyone tearing their hair out about Passe Sanitaire, Super Green Pass and booking tests at Pharmacies in order to get their single vax kids skiing, I decided to put a ski break on hold for now and pulled the trigger in early Nov on some Ryanair flights to the Canaries over Xmas.

I thought I was safe...at that time Spain's cases were extremely low, my 16yo was due his second vax and they would let my single vax 14yo in with a test.

Of course, Omicron has now changed everything! rolling eyes

Particularly as Spain now will not allow anyone over 12 in without a double jab, which my 14yo is not yet entitled to.

I know mine is not a ski holiday situation, but many may be booked on ski flights with Ryanair and are now facing an effective government prohibition on travel and looking at refund options.

My initial approaches to Ryanair have been rebuffed...no refund unless they cancel the flight (unlikely as double vaxxed can currently still go to Canaries and it's peak season for travel) or you're dead, dying or a close relative has died! Shocked

My argument to them is that my daughter's problem with not meeting the Spanish entry requirements would occur on arrival in Spain, but they would be refusing to board her at Stansted, thereby refusing to perform the contracted service for which I should be entitled to a refund of monies paid for such a service if they can no longer perform it due to a change in government regulation.

Their argument to me is that it's our responsibilty to meet any entry requirements and hard cheddar if they change subsequent to booking and you now find it impossible to meet them. Basically, if the flight operates and they refuse boarding, it's your problem! rolling eyes

I notice Jet2 are offering flight refunds to families in this situation and Easyjet are also being sympathetic. Seems Ryanair once again being the least customer friendly airline after promising to do better after being criticised earlier in the pandemic.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-happens-your-flight-been-22346201

I suggested that if they refunded me, they could resell the flights to others who could meet the vaccination requirements and as the flights are currently on sale at a higher price on their website, they could make a profit on the deal. No go, but I was offered a name change at £55 per person per flight, which is approximately paying again the price I paid for the flights, but I don't personally know anyone that would want them and that wouldn't get me my money back, just make Michael O'Leary richer! Evil or Very Mad Would make more sense for them to resell them really.

So my questions would be...any advice on how to get a refund in this situation? Would a credit card chargeback be a legitimate way forward if Ryanair refuse a refund?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 5-12-21 17:18; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are in a similar situation but have booked with Jet2 for the Canaries. Initially, Jet2 were not offering a refund but quickly changed their terms to offer a refund once your are within 7 days of departure.

When we needed to claim a refund from Ryanair we used an online tools supplied by MoneySupermarket. Not sure if that will help in this situation but worth a look.

We are due to fly out on the 2nd Jan, with Spain due to renew their rules on the 31st Dec. To be honest I'm resigned to not going but hope Jet2 do in fact provide us with a refund. We got an email today from then attaching the hotel vouchers etc.

My only worry with going is now having to have a test before you are allowed on the flight back. God knows what happens if you test positive...

Good Luck!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A chargeback would work, but Ryanair would ban you from travelling with them again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Ryanair's T'c & C's will probably have them covered if the flight does indeed fly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, perhaps my only real hope is that Spain get worried about our Omicron surge and ban all UK arrivals, then Ryanair would have to cancel the flights.

But that would likely mean a whole world of pain & disappointment for even more travellers hoping for a bit of Xmas sunshine!! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmjimm wrote:
A chargeback would work, but Ryanair would ban you from travelling with them again.

Yeah, I read about that.

Some had done chargebacks on them to obtain a refund when they were dragging their feet. Ryanair let them book more flights, then held them to ransom a few days before departure, saying they couldn't fly until they returned the chargeback monies.

They sound like nasty people to deal with all round really! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Credit to Easyjet, I read this morning that they are offering cancellation options to families caught out by the change to the Spanish rules, but I suspect you are purely at the mercy of the business ethos of your carrier, ie. Ryanair.

Assuming you have a flight only booking, and they run the flight, I expect you will struggle to get a refund as it'll be purely on appealing to their better nature!

If you also booked a car hire or accommodation with them in the same booking, then it would be classed as a package holiday - and therefore package holiday protection applies, then you ought to be able to get a refund as they'd be unable to provide the holiday you bought.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gazzza wrote:
Credit to Easyjet, I read this morning that they are offering cancellation options to families caught out by the change to the Spanish rules, but I suspect you are purely at the mercy of the business ethos of your carrier, ie. Ryanair.

Assuming you have a flight only booking, and they run the flight, I expect you will struggle to get a refund as it'll be purely on appealing to their better nature!

If you also booked a car hire or accommodation with them in the same booking, then it would be classed as a package holiday - and therefore package holiday protection applies, then you ought to be able to get a refund as they'd be unable to provide the holiday you bought.

Ryanair are definitely the worst when it comes to looking after customers when things go wrong. OK if everything goes to plan, but you're up sh*t creek without a paddle if not.

That's interesting! So if I were to add some car hire to the booking it would be a package that I could then cancel? Would it be too late to do that now though?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No sadly I dont think you can retrospectively add car hire to make it package, if you've already booked an paid for your flights only.
It would been had you booked and paid for it together in one transaction then it would have been a package and given you the package regulations protection.

https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/frequently-asked-questions/what-package-holiday
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gazzza wrote:
No sadly I dont think you can retrospectively add car hire to make it package, if you've already booked an paid for your flights only.
It would been had you booked and paid for it together in one transaction then it would have been a package and given you the package regulations protection.

https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/frequently-asked-questions/what-package-holiday

OK, makes sense, thanks!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 6-12-21 19:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sadly Ryanair are notorious at this, have Ryanair given you an option to push your dates forward.

Last year when Ryanair were playing the slow game on issuing a refund I started a PayPal dispute, received refund from PayPal and have since flown Ryanair.

Until July 19th here in Ireland we were not allowed travel abroad and it carried a €2500 fine and still Ryanair were not issuing refunds and most incurred more expensive flights on changing dates so don’t hold your breath on a refund
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2waterford wrote:
Sadly Ryanair are notorious at this, have Ryanair given you an option to push your dates forward.

Last year when Ryanair were playing the slow game on issuing a refund I started a PayPal dispute, received refund from PayPal and have since flown Ryanair.

Until July 19th here in Ireland we were not allowed travel abroad and it carried a €2500 fine and still Ryanair were not issuing refunds and most incurred more expensive flights on changing dates so don’t hold your breath on a refund

Yes, I could move them, but the change fee is around £55-65 per person per flight, which is more or less what I paid for the basic flights before the 'extras' they charge to allow families to sit together and to take a cabin case with you.

I likely could buy some flights for less than that if & when we're in a position to be more sure about further Covid travel restrictions, so the offer is not worth a scrap.

I'm not going to pay Mr O'Leary another £500+ and find out we still can't travel!! Evil or Very Mad

So did the flight you disputed actually operate or was it cancelled due to the blanket travel ban?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy