Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre Arrival Tests for England announced

Poster: A snowHead
geoffers wrote:
Because the NHS DIY tests are open to abuse and useless for Covid border control - try dropping the test solution onto the test without doing a swab - instant clean negative result Smile
The NHS diy tests and the test you purchase from an approved provider are identical, and they are equally easy to abuse to get the result that you want. Some of the commercial providers offer a service where they watch you take the test while they watch via FaceTime or Skype or similar, which provides more of a guarantee that the test result is valid. But most of the approved providers rely on the person self-declaring the test result in the same way as the NHS provided tests do.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jirac18, there is a free test centre in Schwaz or Wörgl if you are driving, open on Sundays or you can use one of the UK 'supervised' self administered tests, plenty of links on other threads.

https://www.tirol.gv.at/gesundheit-vorsorge/infekt/coronavirus-covid-19-informationen/tirol-testet/screeningstrassen-teststationen/

Schwaz (antigen and PCR test)
Screeningstraße Schwaz
Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday / Sunday / public holidays: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Former Elektra Bregenz car park at Tyrolit area (immediately west of the McDonald's in Vomp)
6134 Vomp

Wörgl (antigen and PCR test)
Test station Wörgl (former Hervis)
Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday / Sunday / public holiday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Bahnhofstrasse 37
6300 Wörgl
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MontyP wrote:
But I don't think those tests can be used to prove fitness to fly for entry into the UK?
`
The govt centre ones are definitely fine because they produce a standard EU certificate. I have never been to a pharmacy, so I don't know what you get – ask on the Austria thread, but I do know there is no special UK certificate. There will definitely be an acceptable local option (in all countries), because it cannot be assumed that everyone has taken UK test kits with them, and some people are starting from the other direction anyway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobinS wrote:
Anyone know what we are supposed to do if our pre-return test is positive on our 89th day in the Schengen zone? Can the French deport us across the channel despite the UK not letting us in?

Get a Dinghy I guess....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin,
Quote:

Anyone know what we are supposed to do if our pre-return test is positive on our 89th day in the Schengen zone? Can the French deport us across the channel despite the UK not letting us in?

Get a Dinghy I guess....

Smile Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oleski wrote:
Macker13 wrote:
You can’t do LFT you take with you. You wouldn’t get a certificate.

yes you can, it's a normal fit to fly test. Just give the providers a day or two to put products up

EDIT: actually they've had it all along e.g. https://www.chronomics.com/test-to-return

Have you used this company? They are saying a 30mins turnaround for results-which sounds good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
Avago wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
This may be a moot point considering everything is currently closed rolling eyes but for anyone hoping to travel to Austria, it is worth noting that tests can be obtained for free in many places. If there is a convenient testing centre, they are generally very efficient and you will be in and out in under a minute.

Would these tests be valid for pre-departure to UK?

Yes of course. This 2-tier NHS vs private test system is unique to the UK and doesn't exist in other countries. Tests are carried out in-person at a testing centre, and are valid for everything they need to be, subject to ever changing time limits.

Thank you @scarlet
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone know of in-person PCR test centre convenient to Eurotunnel Arrivals near Folkestone? It would be convenient to get an in-person PCR test when we arrive by Eurotunnel (around 6pm) in order to get the test result the following day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's to stop people cheating by doing the test well in advance, then sending in the picture when they need to?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynnecha wrote:
@RichardB, @Snowsartre, We are booked to travel to Banff in February, and we can just about see our way to travelling with the arrival tests although this could mean spending a 14 day holiday quarantined in the hotel...... but we are now thinking this, combined with the pre departure tests may scupper the trip altogether. If we test postive before departure, it seems we will have no accommodation as we will have to check out, and be stranded in Banff/Calgary for two weeks - at a quarantine hotel? If there is such a thing? I just can't see how it is realistic to travel given this situation could arise.....

The pre-departure implications are the same for France, I know, but somehow it seems more complicated to be stranded in Canada...... I suppose the questions are the same really.

How do you see it working?

I’m due to go to Whistler towards the end of next month, I think the PCR test before flying out is fair enough, the lateral flow test 2 days before return not a hardship and even the PCR day 2 release is doable for me with the leave I have booked from my job but the test you have to take on arrival into Canada makes the first test pretty much redundant and then the fact it can take 3 days to to come back to release you from isolation, it’s just adding unnecessary faff to travel and punishing those who want to adhere to the rules and get the vaccinations needed.

I am frankly sick of this whole situation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thecramps wrote:
What's to stop people cheating by doing the test well in advance, then sending in the picture when they need to?
I don't think there is anything to stop that. When I do a LF test the red indicator line gets a bit diffuse if I look at it 24 hours later, rather than the more sharply delineated line I see after 15 minutes, but I'd be surprised of the commercial test provider rejected the test if they saw that.

The system works on honour. A bit like the French declaration of honour certificate. I'd be happy to drive home from the Alps if I got a positive PCR test, knowing that I could have a very good isolation from other people for the entire journey. I'd have to have a discussion with my conscience about flying home in those circumstances as that would be more troubling. If things get a lot worse than they are but travel is still allowed I might switch to driving to the Alps rather than flying.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, we would be interested in something near Eurotunnel at Folkestone. Our current plan will be to go to Express Test near Gatwick on our way home on 27th - if open on what is a bank holiday and at a suitable time. Still needs checking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thecramps wrote:

In another thread someone asked a similar question - the response was - don't risk it, as Metadata is encoded in digital photographs which would reveal just when to image was taken.
Whether the provider would both to check is another question......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m struck by the wealth of epidemiological expertise on this thread, and the wisdom that the UK’s fight against Covid’s impact on the nation’s economy should be centred around the ski industry, particularly when scientific uncertainty is clearly politically motivated. Obviously expensive ski holidays are a right not a privilege. Why can’t the insurance companies understand that the right thing to do is to inflate everybody’s premiums so that youngsters and their families can get paid for quarantine hotels resulting from nights in crowded apres ski bars
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
MontyP wrote:
But I don't think those tests can be used to prove fitness to fly for entry into the UK?
`
The govt centre ones are definitely fine because they produce a standard EU certificate. I have never been to a pharmacy, so I don't know what you get – ask on the Austria thread, but I do know there is no special UK certificate. There will definitely be an acceptable local option (in all countries), because it cannot be assumed that everyone has taken UK test kits with them, and some people are starting from the other direction anyway.

The pharmacy ones are fine for travel to UK (I have done this) they give you a standard EU certificate with QR code.
snow report
rjj501 wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
RichardB wrote:
tbh, I'm beyond done with this, that's four tests, FOUR tests I need to take for Canada and I miss up to 3 days skiing waiting for a negative result on arrival.

Understandable. Sledgehammer. Nut. etc etc

Wouldn't it be great if they invented a vaccine to avoid all of this hassle? Puzzled

Essentially what they’re saying is we’ve come nowhere in a year despite the vaccine rollout… and if that’s the case, I don’t see what changes next year or the year after… Puzzled

It is becoming very difficult not to despair with all of this. After 2 years we are really no further forward. rolling eyes
snow conditions
albob wrote:
thecramps wrote:

In another thread someone asked a similar question - the response was - don't risk it, as Metadata is encoded in digital photographs which would reveal just when to image was taken.

Obviously if you take a screenshot of the image just before you send it that would probably take care of the Metadata…
ski holidays
MazDave wrote:
albob wrote:
thecramps wrote:

Obviously if you take a screenshot of the image just before you send it that would probably take care of the Metadata…
Nope - but try it if you like!
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
There is no doubt that this is a further PITA but on the bright(er) side:
1. LFT valid rather than pricier PCR mandated pre-departure
2. If it means I can ski the ball ache will be more than worth it!

More darkly, what the fook happens if you test positive on the pre-return test? 10-14 days quarantine somewhere (of your choosing) or incarcerated at an airport hotel by the visited country's authorities?

This is the real issue, not the testing but rather the potential positive result... rolling eyes

Yep, that is my concern. although, thinking about it, if you use a UK based testing service (ie video hook up) and test positive, the only people that know are you and the testing service, so what is to stop you booking 10 nights or so somewhere and isolating yourself? Obviously food etc is a problem, but if you should be able to deliveroo or equivalent. The issue is getting return travel, but outside of the peak times this should be relatively cheap.

Taking it a step further if you take a bunch of NHS Lat Flows with you and test before you do the official test you can be confident of passing the official test. If you happen to test positive then then only person who knows is you so again you can check into a hotel and isolate for a few days, checking constantly until you pass your test.

Its a hassle, but not necessarily the hassle it needs to be. My trip is not until end of Jan, so I am hoping that the panic and madness over Omicrom subsides.
latest report
Wildsmith wrote:
MazDave wrote:
albob wrote:
thecramps wrote:

Nope - but try it if you like!

Screenshot on my iPhone doesn’t appear to carry the metadata of the original image - I don’t see how it can
snow conditions
Yes it contains meta data showing it is a screen shot not a camera picture (i ie you can tell what type of device & configuration was used to capture the image) - have you looked at the md yourself?
latest report
I can see the MD and you can tell it’s a screenshot. So question is would a screenshot not be acceptable when submitting it to a lab?
snow report
Wouldn’t it be lovely if the politicians took a few mins to read these posts maybe they’d realise what utter clowns they are and might then appreciate exactly how most normal folk view their ridiculous ideas!
ski holidays
MazDave wrote:
I can see the MD and you can tell it’s a screenshot. So question is would a screenshot not be acceptable when submitting it to a lab?
of course not
snow conditions
Wildsmith wrote:
MazDave wrote:
of course not

Ok - obviously I’d never consider doing that anyway..
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
twoodwar wrote:
@hammerite, we now have to! Puzzled
Do we have to use a local provider, or can we purchase an approved Lateral Flow test in the UK before we travel, and then do that test the day before we travel home?

Take one with you, swab yourself, take a photo with your passport, cert sent within a few hours. Testing for All and C19 Testing both fast delivery and reliable returns.

But it has to be a private test which has a unique ID to be recorded and cross referenced on whichever system is used in that country. My understanding is that the free NHS LFT’s are not valid to take abroad and will not be recognised for travel back to UK.

My point was, we don’t have to use a U.K. provider. We had to have pre travel tests in the summer. I went to a local pharmacy (in Andorra). They carried out a lateral flow test. 15 mins, €15 and I got given a certificate to say it was a negative test.

Much easier than taking tests out with you, video calling people etc… we don’t have to use a U.K. provider.
snow report
@jirac18, if only!!
ski holidays
@Markymark29, exactly!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:

This is all about making money for Johnson’s doner mates, and the BBC lapdog propaganda machine is just throwing logs on the fire…….I’m so sick of this nonsense…….if I get Covid after having 3 jabs, travelling to the Alps in my own car, staying in a self catering apartment, not using gondola’s just chairs, and eating lunches outside and if I got Covid I’d isolate on return, and pay for fuel at the pump on return…..I’ll manage the risk myself, and take the consequences…..meanwhile my colleagues at work can come to work when their partners and kids have Covid……WTF. Evil or Very Mad

This sums up my feeling at the minute perfectly
snow report
MazDave wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:
MazDave wrote:
of course not

Ok - obviously I’d never consider doing that anyway..

If I posted an image to Twitter I’d always strip out the MD first. There are plenty of iPhone/Android apps that do this, or you could do it manually on a desktop/laptop.
snow conditions
Strip out yes, but can you reinsert fake md as easily....?
latest report
You don’t need to do screenshots or worry about the encrypted data…

Take a photo of your test cassette ( at whatever day your want wink )

Then when the time comes to send off the negative result…

1. Open the picture on an iPad ( other tablets are available). Enlarge the picture to the same size of the real cassette.

2. Take new pictures with your phone. Clearly take care to not show edges of iPad. Email off this new picture.

Sorted. Clearly not advisable or recommended but doesn’t take long to puzzle out what has been mentioned here numerous times - the system and requirements are utterly pointless.

If the government want abs expect people to act in a responsible fashion they should be doing so themselves and effect policy that makes sense to the average person.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
rjj501 wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
RichardB wrote:
tbh, I'm beyond done with this, that's four tests, FOUR tests I need to take for Canada and I miss up to 3 days skiing waiting for a negative result on arrival.

Understandable. Sledgehammer. Nut. etc etc

Wouldn't it be great if they invented a vaccine to avoid all of this hassle? Puzzled

Essentially what they’re saying is we’ve come nowhere in a year despite the vaccine rollout… and if that’s the case, I don’t see what changes next year or the year after… Puzzled

It is becoming very difficult not to despair with all of this. After 2 years we are really no further forward. rolling eyes

Very true , if I am vaccinated (and boosted) and you are vaccinated, and everyone in my gondola is vaccinated . Does it really matter if one of us has covid ?

Who are we protecting now with all the testing ? The unvaccinated ?? rolling eyes
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
My point was, we don’t have to use a U.K. provider. We had to have pre travel tests in the summer. I went to a local pharmacy (in Andorra). They carried out a lateral flow test. 15 mins, €15 and I got given a certificate to say it was a negative test.

Much easier than taking tests out with you, video calling people etc… we don’t have to use a U.K. provider.
You're right that we don't have to. For me, taking a test kit is the better option, as I can do the test the day before I return home without having to get to a local test centre. Simply send them photo of the test cartridge with my passport and a few hours later I get emailed the test certificate.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
thecramps wrote:

The above question raised a separate issue. ie taking the photo some time after taking the test....
ski holidays
I’ve just been looking at the Crystal site and links to their providers.
Seems that you submit an image of the unused test, take the test then submit an image of the result. Both are done through your account on the companies website so will be time stamped . Nothing to stop a less than thorough swab being done though
snow conditions
mmm... my experience so far...

Randox LFT x 4: 2 x Fit to Fly for Italy 20/11/21; 2 x Day 2 test after return to UK on 27/11/21

Process:
1. Order tests (c£80) and download Randox Certifly app (POP). The app itself will scan your passport and then verify (note the app accessed my iPhone camera, not me).
2. Randox send tests and provide URNs for UK PLF re the Day2 tests
3. Take test (POP, although my wife helped me do mine!). Wait 15 minutes and then scan test using Certifly app (note as above, but the app also seems take a short moment to scan the camera picture, I think to check it is a 3d image, before allow you to click "take picture).
4. Email returned with Certificate, in my case within 30 mins for the fit to fly (and sends my data to BoJo mafia or something like that). Certificate also accessible on the Certifly app.

The main advantage is that you are not reliant on the pharmacist (queues /opening times) and can do it in you home (or anywhere really).

Would I recommend Randox... yes, they have spent money making the app work so they don't need the supervised test, so everything is in your control and a POP (unless you actually have cover at the time). You can collect test kits via click and collect if you are short on time.

Hope that helps... probably out of date already.
ski holidays
Wildsmith wrote:

Oh can you… I hadn’t realised… Little Angel Little Angel hahahaha!
latest report
rjj501 wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:

snowHead I think just reserve for yourself in extremis... btw I have forgotten my iPhone password can you help, I have 2 goes left...
ski holidays
Wildsmith wrote:
rjj501 wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:

snowHead I think just reserve for yourself in extremis... btw I have forgotten my iPhone password can you help, I have 2 goes left...

Just send me your username, email address, home address for the past 3 years, bank details, national insurance number, scan of your passport and driving license, mothers maiden name & the name of your first pet and I can take a look at it for you Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy