Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@eat>sleep>ride>r, yeah this is all through Ski Big 3 as I used them the first time I went to Banff. Good deals like you said. I had an excellent deal first time at the Ptarmigan with a 9 in 12 day lift pass as I did the day trips to Panorama and Kicking Horse for 2 of the other days. On that note-I noticed Panorama isn’t offered as a day trip this season! Sad
Kicking Horse is but not Panorama.

Originally I had booked the Caribou through Ski Big 3 but now I’ve changed the dates completely because of the flight amendments I couldn’t get in there, well not unless I booked and paid for a Junior Loft Suite which I’m not prepared to do.

I will have a look at the Canalta though.


Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-01-22 15:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For those of you lucky enough to be out in BC atm What’s the average wait time for arrival PCR result to come back in Vancouver and do you need a hard copy to present anywhere , or is it all confirmed via the arrivecan app ??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Orange200, I think Irwin’s has been redone in 2018 or some of it has at least.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the replies re April Banff skiing. Can change SkiBig3 and always been a pleasure with dealings with them so far. Just need to change our flights. Stayed in the Moose Suites last time and this all being well. Hot tub is great.
Can't to get back
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bags (almost) packed
72 hour PCR test (as a backup) completed with negative results back
Arrivecan complete
Docs printed and laminated in triplicate

Just waiting on my eSIM before pre-registering the arrivals test (again as a backup)

What have I missed?

Funnily enough, my Fit to Fly certificate looks like it matches the official entry requirements as closely as my NHS Positive report. Neither state the name and street address of the actual lab, and a quick check with friends who have travelled recently reveals that none of theirs do either (across multiple test providers). I suspect that as long as it looks official they'll accept it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="stuarth"][quote="boarder2020"]
gryphea wrote:
@Bones, @VolklAttivaS5,

I was skiing in -25 conditions last week (-39 with windchill - brrr!!!).


Whistler before New Years? I was there, too, and was overjoyed at how empty were the pistes at a time when they are usually heaving! [disclaimer... although I live in the UK, I am Canadian]. My [British] wife suddenly thought that maybe $400 for battery - heated gloves was not such a bad idea after all. Shame they were out of her size...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@VolklAttivaS5, I would check out West Jet. KLM always seem expensive to me. Last time we used them, pre pandemic, they bumped us off our flight, re routed us with BA. We were flying Geneva back to Calgary and ended up going via LHR. Resulting in a delay. They also lost a piece of my luggage on way out. But we were compensated for the delay in accordance with EU guidelines and the luggage showed up around 36 hrs later.

I reckon they are over rated also as their transatlantic flights (Jan 2020) were not Dreamliners.

I flew West Jet Calgary to LGW return in October. They were 580 return (CAD). Dreamliner.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gryphea, will have a look at Gatwick to Calgary with Westjet.
KLM is out for me anyway as I want a direct flight from the UK to Calgary.
If I was happy to change and add time to the journey then I’d do the Air Canada Frankfurt option as that seemed the best way.
I just want to get on in the UK and get off in Calgary like the first time I went. I enjoyed that and it was stress free.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Saintsman, are you flying out Monday 10th?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tuesday. But I have a LOT of work to complete on Monday first
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Orange200, I think Irwin’s has been redone in 2018 or some of it has at least.


Thanks for info Smile. Not sure when we’ll be there again Sad Elder daughter is now starting serious exams, ie GCSEs this year, A levels in two years… we went for those as they have family suites, ie two bedrooms in one, but after our Andorra trip a few weeks ago they night not stand for it, we might have to go straight for two separate rooms.

Good luck with your trip, and dress warm!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Orange200 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Orange200, I think Irwin’s has been redone in 2018 or some of it has at least.


Thanks for info Smile. Not sure when we’ll be there again Sad Elder daughter is now starting serious exams, ie GCSEs this year, A levels in two years… we went for those as they have family suites, ie two bedrooms in one, but after our Andorra trip a few weeks ago they night not stand for it, we might have to go straight for two separate rooms.

Good luck with your trip, and dress warm!


Thanks, yes I think a separate room is the way to go for her.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I reckon they are over rated also as their transatlantic flights (Jan 2020) were not Dreamliners.



Dreamliners for us Feb 2020 return mid March - but from AMS.

First day at Lake Louise on the last trip -23 in the parking lot - great day, blue skies and no wind - that icy tingle on the ears, love it really as it focuses the senses. It was a toasty -15 when we returned to head off Toofy Grin

I've probably got good circulation as it doesnt really bother me. The old saying of ' there's no bad weather, just bad gear ' Keeping the core warm is very important though.

VolklAttivaS5 have a great time, not jealous at all of folks going over there this season Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bones, true about the core. I never seem to get cold hands or feet so I must be warm enough in that respect.

Westjet Gatwick to Calgary was more than Air Canada costs Heathrow to Calgary once the extra baggage cost was included for the skis with Westjet.
I’m paranoid about flight changes so I think I will stick with the Air Canada out Thurs back Sun plan as that plan seems least likely to be messed with.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi @RichardB, The only downside with the Keg is all those TVs showing ice hockey highlights all the time, its a total conversation killer.
But I think its the same in nearly all the bars.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bones wrote:
jebroni3_16, Not a chance as Saintsman, says.

EDIT: Appreciate the swift and honest responses. Thanks


Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-01-22 4:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wittenham,

Yep, just before new year - though pretty chilly until today. Positively boiling today (well minus something close to 0, so nearly boiling compared to recent weather!), but snow is still really good.

I do all right for warm hands if I have my mitts, but heated boots suddenly seemed a very good idea! Madeye-Smiley
.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have boot heaters @stuarth, @wittenham, had them pretty much since I've been here, with some changes of battery and heat pads over the years. I'm female and get very cold feet and they have been a great investment. Don't have heated gloves, but I have mitts (which can fit liners) and my current ones have a pocket for little hotties. Still get v cold thumbs though. Never been able to find a mitt that has extra warm thumbs. My daughter had the heated socks, which are also good and can be ported around to different footwear, especially useful for some on hill volunteer race roles. But the bottom of the socks is v crispy, don't know whether that has improved since she got hers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to check (I'm sure someone listed it earlier in the thread but I can't seem to find it), leaving the UK and flying into Calgary, I need to:

- book <72hr PCR test (using Randox for this)
- upload details into ArriveCAN
- register with Switch Health

- set up Passenger Locator Form account for return journey
- order LFD tests so that details can be added to PLF

- order eSIM

Mrs and Miss narbs will be travelling on Canadian passports, I assume the same applies to them?

Have I missed anything obvious?!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gryphea, I used to get cold thumbs until I started wearing Nike running gloves underneath my mittens
They are handy for texting without needing to be bare handed as they’ve got the special stuff on the fingers.
Also I’ve got another pair of inner gloves like that again they are for running or cross country skiing or something and no more cold thumbs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
narbs wrote:
Just to check (I'm sure someone listed it earlier in the thread but I can't seem to find it), leaving the UK and flying into Calgary, I need to:

- book <72hr PCR test (using Randox for this)
- upload details into ArriveCAN
- register with Switch Health

- set up Passenger Locator Form account for return journey
- order LFD tests so that details can be added to PLF

- order eSIM

Mrs and Miss narbs will be travelling on Canadian passports, I assume the same applies to them?

Have I missed anything obvious?!


I thought they had ditched the LFD for return to the UK? Or do you mean the one you do when you get home now (instead of the 2 day PCR required until very recently)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
narbs wrote:
Just to check (I'm sure someone listed it earlier in the thread but I can't seem to find it), leaving the UK and flying into Calgary, I need to:

- book <72hr PCR test (using Randox for this)
- upload details into ArriveCAN
- register with Switch Health

- set up Passenger Locator Form account for return journey
- order LFD tests so that details can be added to PLF

- order eSIM

Mrs and Miss narbs will be travelling on Canadian passports, I assume the same applies to them?

Have I missed anything obvious?!


Make sure everyone has their Vax records available for inspection at checkin. Otherwise that's pretty much it
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
narbs wrote:
Just to check (I'm sure someone listed it earlier in the thread but I can't seem to find it), leaving the UK and flying into Calgary, I need to:

- book <72hr PCR test (using Randox for this)
- upload details into ArriveCAN
- register with Switch Health

- set up Passenger Locator Form account for return journey
- order LFD tests so that details can be added to PLF

- order eSIM

Mrs and Miss narbs will be travelling on Canadian passports, I assume the same applies to them?

Have I missed anything obvious?!


I thought they had ditched the LFD for return to the UK? Or do you mean the one you do when you get home now (instead of the 2 day PCR required until very recently)


That's the one, I think you still need to add the details to the PLF.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes you will do for the PLF
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@narbs, Can i just check the register with switch health? what is this and how do you do it? thank you!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well this just gets even better, I phoned 119 and they can't find out whether my PCR test sample has even been tested yet, I suspect not and it's likely in an untested pile at a test center, so I ended up having to go for another PCR test at a drive through one. Trouble is, its 9 days out rather than 10 now.

I'm hoping some flexibility and discretion can be used in my case at check in, especially with this mess up as I've done everything right as far as I'm concerned. The only other option I have is rearrange for next year and hope to do a late booking for the 3rd week I have off on leave, as long as I start testing negative on lateral flow tests soon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve given in to temptation and rebooked Banff.
Out on Thurs 24th Feb back on Sun 13th Mar
Air Canada
Booked Irwin’s as they have the coin op laundry, a microwave, fridge and small kitchen sink in the room with a patio sliding door that opens to the outside world in case I have to stay in that first day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RichardB wrote:
Well this just gets even better, I phoned 119 and they can't find out whether my PCR test sample has even been tested yet, I suspect not and it's likely in an untested pile at a test center, so I ended up having to go for another PCR test at a drive through one. Trouble is, its 9 days out rather than 10 now.

I'm hoping some flexibility and discretion can be used in my case at check in, especially with this mess up as I've done everything right as far as I'm concerned. The only other option I have is rearrange for next year and hope to do a late booking for the 3rd week I have off on leave, as long as I start testing negative on lateral flow tests soon.


They're not hoingbto show discretion at check-in as they won't want to risk the financial penalties of/when you get turned around. Your best bet now is the 72 hiur negative test. There's a decent chance it will return negative
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree at check in it won’t wash.
You want the negative PCR 72 hours before arriving in Canada.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What is the "switch health" I thought going into vancouver we just did ArrivCan ??

Just had a PCR....no ID required...no supervision.. done behind a screen...so open to abuse is stupid !,
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m really on the verge of giving up and moving this booking to next year with Crystal, I just can’t see myself testing negative on a PCR when I’ve been positive on all the lateral flows I’ve done since going into isolation.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flights were cancelled and delayed with KLM to Calgary so got our money back today. Ski Big3 are in the process of moving our booking to 1st two weeks in April so here's hoping things may of died down by then and plenty of snow come then.

Just debating who to re-book with for the flights. KLM for being able to fly fairly local ish or trek down to London. Just not that interested in driving back from London for 3 1/2 hours after a flight. What's WestJet like?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowsartre wrote:
@dalehernando, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


This is very helpful, thank you. Do you know (roughly) how long people arriving in Banff are waiting for test results? I assume they take swabs at the airport and send them off for processing, rather than self-testing?

Also, what's required to get on/off the busses? The web site says QR codes, but do UK vaccine certificates work?


many thanks,
C
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yorkshirelad wrote:
What is the "switch health" I thought going into vancouver we just did ArrivCan ??

Just had a PCR....no ID required...no supervision.. done behind a screen...so open to abuse is stupid !,


It's for pre-registration for the arrivals test. Some provinces use SwitchHealth, BC (and therefore Vancouver airport) use LifeLabs.

It's not 100% necessary to pre-register, but will save some time.

Re the PCR, strictly speaking a Fit to Fly test should require ID and be performed by a technician, or be video monitored. Which provider did you use?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RichardB wrote:
I’m really on the verge of giving up and moving this booking to next year with Crystal, I just can’t see myself testing negative on a PCR when I’ve been positive on all the lateral flows I’ve done since going into isolation.


The two tests look for very different things, so you can't really compare. Have tou had your new NHS test yet?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RoamingBull wrote:
Flights were cancelled and delayed with KLM to Calgary so got our money back today. Ski Big3 are in the process of moving our booking to 1st two weeks in April so here's hoping things may of died down by then and plenty of snow come then.

Just debating who to re-book with for the flights. KLM for being able to fly fairly local ish or trek down to London. Just not that interested in driving back from London for 3 1/2 hours after a flight. What's WestJet like?


I’ve just done mine with Air Canada again from Heathrow but on the Thurs out Sun back arrangement.
I don’t think anyone has had anything changed on that arrangement so far? Or there’s the Mon out Wed back option. I think someone had a slight time change on their Monday flight but nothing else?
I went for the former as it gave 17 nights out there instead of 16 nights.
I live 3 hours drive from Heathrow but what I found with the plane journey last time was not to sleep at all on the way there (watched 3 films) so I arrived when it was their night time and I was therefore really tired and ready to go to bed at the right time to get up for skiing the next day. The return leg leaves at night Canada time so I slept on the plane for 4 hours so when I got back to London in the morning UK time I found the drive home fine as it was ‘morning’ here in the UK and I’d been to sleep for a good chunk of time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Used Eurofin... it was done at an Asian travel agents !!!!! Very very lax, hope its the same at YVR ... our main worry is testing positive in YVR and spending 14 days in a hotel room because of a cold
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yorkshirelad wrote:
Used Eurofin... it was done at an Asian travel agents !!!!! Very very lax, hope its the same at YVR ... our main worry is testing positive in YVR and spending 14 days in a hotel room because of a cold


A covid PCR won't test positive for a cold
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
RoamingBull wrote:
Flights were cancelled and delayed with KLM to Calgary so got our money back today. Ski Big3 are in the process of moving our booking to 1st two weeks in April so here's hoping things may of died down by then and plenty of snow come then.

Just debating who to re-book with for the flights. KLM for being able to fly fairly local ish or trek down to London. Just not that interested in driving back from London for 3 1/2 hours after a flight. What's WestJet like?


I’ve just done mine with Air Canada again from Heathrow but on the Thurs out Sun back arrangement.
I don’t think anyone has had anything changed on that arrangement so far? Or there’s the Mon out Wed back option. I think someone had a slight time change on their Monday flight but nothing else?
I went for the former as it gave 17 nights out there instead of 16 nights.
I live 3 hours drive from Heathrow but what I found with the plane journey last time was not to sleep at all on the way there (watched 3 films) so I arrived when it was their night time and I was therefore really tired and ready to go to bed at the right time to get up for skiing the next day. The return leg leaves at night Canada time so I slept on the plane for 4 hours so when I got back to London in the morning UK time I found the drive home fine as it was ‘morning’ here in the UK and I’d been to sleep for a good chunk of time.


Just had a look at Air Canada for our dates and 2900 quid for premium economy for 2 is steep return!! At that price should be BC prices surely.
We are booked in Moose Suites which we stayed at in January 2020. Thought it was great tbh decent size rooms with fire, kitchenette, living/dining room and large bedroom. Nice rooftop hot tubs too. Think 14 nights including ski pass is 2.5k with flights on top. Generally budget for 5k per ski trip.
Can't wait to have a jar of Ceasar up the hill for lunch and Mexican bulldog on return to the town.

Think we will do a twin location stay in the near future too e.g Fernie for a week then drive upto Banff or Kickinghorse or somewhere else. We just love the Rockies
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RoamingBull, I only do Economy Standard with Air Canada, only done it the once but can’t say I had any complaints to be honest but then I’ve not done (and paid for) any upgrades before anywhere! I’ve never been able to justify it to myself. It was better than I thought it would be (the Economy Standard) so I’d happily do it again.
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy