Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
After all that, my return time to Heathrow is back to 10am but it’s a 2:35 minute layover in Calgary now which is fair enough, it was likely because 50 minutes or just over an hour would have likely been too short to make the connection.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichardB, Did they tell you that you wouldnt make the connection ? - but a couple of hours isnt bad,at least time to grab some food before you fly.
We've made a 30 minute one at AMS before - and our luggage made it too surprisingly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They didn’t tell me the reason but I thought 50 minutes was cutting it a bit close after my experience with a connecting flight at Amsterdam, that airports terminal is bloody huge!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Air Canada reckon there's a minimum 40 minute connection time for International destinations at Calgary, but given they can take 90 minutes just to unload baggage I would think that's optimistic
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fingers crossed Trudeau does not pete my plans to fly on Wednesday- couple
of questions
1. Can you not combine the website and app? Have the app but can’t log in to website?
2. Can only complete the passenger locator etc forms 3 days ahead of travel?

V. Excited right now
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No need for pre departure test..and no 2 day PCR test required..yippee !!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yorkshirelad wrote:
Tradeau on TV at 4.30 GMT...might be good news

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to give an update today on federal deliveries of more rapid tests.

A spokesperson said the prime minister will make the announcement during an 11:30 a.m. ET news conference.

The provinces and territories have been scrambling to keep up with the demand for the do-it-yourself tests as the Omicron variant of the coronavirus spreads across the country.

On Tuesday, rapid test kits ran out within an hour at a pop-up in Kitchener, Ont. Before the Christmas break, Ontario Premier Doug Ford apologized after free COVID-19 rapid tests offered at LCBO stores and other locations in the province "disappeared like rapid fire."

People line up for free rapid tests at the Minto Recreation Complex in Ottawa, Ont. (Francis Ferland/CBC)
The rush for rapid tests comes as many regions scale back on polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing, the gold standard of testing, due to capacity concerns. PCR tests are largely offered through assessment centres, hospitals and other health-care settings and require lab analysis.

Ford apologizes as 1M rapid tests 'disappeared like rapid fire' in LCBO giveaway
Rapid test kits run out within an hour in last pop-up in Kitchener this week
Trudeau's spokesperson said he will also talk about the latest Canadian Armed Forces deployment in Quebec and the federal support benefits available to Canadians.

Before Parliament broke for the holiday break, it passed a bill creating the Canada worker lockdown benefit (CWLB) for workers who cannot work due to a local lockdown designation.

Successful applicants are eligible to receive $300 per week, which has been criticized by the NDP for not being enough.

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland, Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam and Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Howard Njoo will also be taking questions this morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yorkshirelad wrote:

for you or all travellers ???
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowsartre wrote:
Fingers crossed Trudeau does not pete my plans to fly on Wednesday- couple
of questions
1. Can you not combine the website and app? Have the app but can’t log in to website?
2. Can only complete the passenger locator etc forms 3 days ahead of travel?

V. Excited right now

You mean Arrivecan?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dabber wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

Thats for return to UK. As of 0400 GMT this Friday, no pre-departure test needed for flights to UK, and arrivals testing is a 2 day LFT with no quarantine required unless you test positive
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Saintsman,

Guess if it made no difference, getting rid of it is a good thing. I think the chance of avoiding Omicron, especially in a busy ski resort is pretty slim, so I'd be bricking it if I had to have a negative test to leave the country - in fact that's exactly why I've not left the country on business trips either as Canada always had, and still has this requirement.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-01-22 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dabber wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

All UK travellers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing new from Canadian government, was hoping they would drop the entrance PCR..but hey-ho
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yorkshirelad,

Like I said before, you need to understand how government works here - it is a federal system.
It's not the federal government that have much likelihood of ending your holiday before it's started, it's the provincial government. The federal government may make things harder/more costly/easier/cheaper for entering the country, but it is the provincial government updates you need to listen to as they are the ones that have the power to shut everything down at very short notice as they are really the ones on the sharp end of public health.
Since all schools have been shut this week, Quebec has a curfew, Ontario has no indoor dining, BC has no schools, Universities, or gyms open, and are warning of big issues in businesses and healthcare due to lack of staff, this is where you should be looking as these changes happen at very short notice (Same day for Whistler shutting last year and the year before, a few days notice for the schools this year)

I too was hoping they would drop the entry PCR thing as I'm not sure it can help all that much now, but mainly so I can stop paying for visitors to get one, and so that the test resources could be used where they are desperately needed

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 5-01-22 18:45; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I keep reading the requirements for a positive test within 10 days for entry and it seems as long as I keep the test on me whilst travelling, I should be fine to go.
snow conditions
@Saintsman, I do indeed Madeye-Smiley
latest report
OK then....

For me my Arrivecan login works on the app as well as on the web. Supposedly there's an advantage to completing the wbe version as it allows you to enter some of the arrivals questionnaire taht you otherwise complete at the machine kiosk.

You can't do your Arrivecan submission till 72 hours before your flight
latest report
@Saintsman, Curiously, now a couple of hours have passed, I can do both. Hurrah!
snow conditions
So are pre departure from Canada (Lateral Flow) and 2 day PCR test still required for Scottish travellers even though connecting thru Heathrow ?
snow report
@colian, As there is not, yet, a hard border, or a Scottish passport, I can’t see how anyone at LHR would know or care that you may need a PCR?
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, the passenger would know and may care.
ski holidays
@ster, fair Embarassed
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Dabber wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

Thats for return to UK. As of 0400 GMT this Friday, no pre-departure test needed for flights to UK, and arrivals testing is a 2 day LFT with no quarantine required unless you test positive

Good news from a financial point of view and also it eliminates the possibility of testing positive in Canada before leaving which would be another potential nightmare.
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@colian, As there is not, yet, a hard border, or a Scottish passport, I can’t see how anyone at LHR would know or care that you may need a PCR?

its the connecting flight from Heathrow to Glasgow I was more worried about.
not back in Glasgow till the 27th jan so was going to purchase lateral flow here and take to Canada.if rules for Scotland don't change then will use it pre departure from Canada and book a 2 day test from Canada last minute.If rules change same as England I will use the lateral flow for my 2 day return .
ski holidays
Just had an email from Air Canada saying my outward flight on 2nd March is now LHR to Toronto 8 hours then a 2 hour 20 mins stop over, then the Toronto to Calgary flight 4 hours 20 mins making it a total of 14 hours 40 mins instead of 8 hours 50 mins.

No mention about the return flight being affected but in any case that’s put me off. Don’t think I will bother. I wonder if they will give me a refund for the whole thing though or just the leg that’s affected.

Edit-got a refund online for the whole thing.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5,

Sad
What's the justification for cancelling the direct flight that far out?
snow report
stuarth wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,

Sad

I was thinking the same. Why change it this early? Maybe it was just me on the plane Laughing
I’ve just cancelled my booking with Ski Big 3 now too.
It’s a shame as I wanted to go but I can’t be bothered with this now, adding almost 7 hours is just too much on top of the PCR on arrival thing which may or may not change. It was already bothering me all the ‘what ifs’ so this has killed it.
snow report
Although I’d booked independently that now means anyone’s tour operator packages (like Crystal) involving a flight from Heathrow to Calgary for 2nd March are likely affected too, just had a look on their website to see and they are still offering that direct flight for that date-so obviously the news hasn’t trickled through yet!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you did carry on, you can call them and fly via Frankfurt which gives you a choice of two flights 08:30 or 09:30 out of LHR to get the 13:35 from FRA which is direct to YYC. The former gives you a 2.5 hour layover and the latter 1.5 hours. This was the option I chose for next week.
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, thanks, good to know.
latest report
@Snowsartre, you did the 2.5 hour layover did you to allow enough time for the luggage so it wasn’t too tight?
snow report
Interestingly the cost of rebooking the flight with a Frankfurt stop over is cheaper than it was originally!

Oh well I will get my refund through and have a think about it in the meantime, see what they do with this arrival PCR test etc.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, I am flying next week so will let you know - I have chosen the 2.5 hour layover out of an abundance of caution - there is no need to collect luggage as it is a connecting flight; I imagine because Lufthansa and Air Canada are part of the same alliance? I will phone them later to double check.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,

Sad

I was thinking the same. Why change it this early? Maybe it was just me on the plane Laughing
I’ve just cancelled my booking with Ski Big 3 now too.
It’s a shame as I wanted to go but I can’t be bothered with this now, adding almost 7 hours is just too much on top of the PCR on arrival thing which may or may not change. It was already bothering me all the ‘what ifs’ so this has killed it.

It looks like AC are doing a lot of pre-emptive flight rationalisation where loads look low in anticipation of crew illness. Doingbthings this far out potentially saves them a lot of compensation
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Just had an email from Air Canada saying my outward flight on 2nd March is now LHR to Toronto 8 hours then a 2 hour 20 mins stop over, then the Toronto to Calgary flight 4 hours 20 mins making it a total of 14 hours 40 mins instead of 8 hours 50 mins.

No mention about the return flight being affected but in any case that’s put me off. Don’t think I will bother. I wonder if they will give me a refund for the whole thing though or just the leg that’s affected.

They cancelled my direct flight to Calgary on 19 Feb a few days ago. The new flight times aren't really workable as we have a four hour drive to Fernie but, if we attempt to break the journey, that then becomes our quarantine location until the PCR results come back.

Given that, just a few days ago, a colleague's brother became stranded in quarantine in New Brunswick for 4 days waiting for PCR results to come through, I don't think that Canada is a risk I can take. I'll rearrange for the States.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Our flight on 9 Feb had the same issue - we've pushed the holiday back a day later so we're now back to a direct flight to Calgary. Hopefully they don't pull that one!
snow report
It seems to me like they are cancelling all of the direct flights (London to Calgary). My friends and I have had 3 flights cancelled at different times but cronologically over a period of a few weeks. On each occasion the flight they offered wasn't the best option and we've had to call to get transferred to better flights with shorted lay overs etc.
ski holidays
I travelled to UK in Early Oct and there was no way to fly there and back direct. West Jet flew out direct and back indirect. Air Canada the opposite. It seems they both added direct flights but are no cancelling them. Air Canada, in particular seem to shuffle their schedule around a lot. I know lots of people with internal flights whose legs have been rerouted. I travelled with them internally in August and they bumped me off a flight. They had overbooked everything. I suspect now, based on advice and loss of crews due to covid, that they may be scaling back routes slightly and those that are underbooked suffer.
ski holidays
West Jet has some direct flights there and back, but its day dependant. They seem cheap too, but fly from Gatwick
snow conditions
@gryphea, what criteria do you think airlines bump passengers off a flight. I booked with AC at the weekend after Crystal/Inghams programme for Banff disappeared because AC pulled lots of direct flights from LHR to YYC - they don't fly direct on Saturdays and Wednesdays now.

So i have booked to fly out Mon 31 Jan and return Wed 16 Feb. I have not paid for seats as just normally get them when online check in opens. Do you think if i purchase seats for both of us it stands us a better chance of not getting bumped off (providing flight is going!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy