Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
yorkshirelad wrote:
42 hours for a test result..wow, glad we're booked for three nights in vancouver anyway... playing cards and a box of wine and a bag of nuts it is then Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy


Just out of interest, what does the arrival test cost?
Do you also happen to know how long you have to wait for a PCR result if you live in Vancouver?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stuarth, I think the arrival (to Canada) test is free?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowsartre wrote:
@stuarth, I think the arrival (to Canada) test is free?


Indeed, I beleive it is (free to you at least, but not to me as a Canadian taxpayer)
And the second question is a trick question. It is pretty hard to even get a PCR test if you think you have COVID - in fact the guidance is not to in many cases

So maybe best not to complain about being inconvenienced by having to wait for the results of a free test when choosing to come here for a holiday, when the residents of the place you are visiting in many cases can't get tested at all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saintsman wrote:

NP - when are you flying? I;ll be posting details of my success/failure

20 Jan - Vancouver - BA
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stuarth wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:
@stuarth, I think the arrival (to Canada) test is free?


Indeed, I beleive it is (free to you at least, but not to me as a Canadian taxpayer)
And the second question is a trick question. It is pretty hard to even get a PCR test if you think you have COVID - in fact the guidance is not to in many cases

So maybe best not to complain about being inconvenienced by having to wait for the results of a free test when choosing to come here for a holiday, when the residents of the place you are visiting in many cases can't get tested at all.


On the first, it should be costing no more than around $50 CAD per person, although I'd bet that the Canadian government is paying a LOT more than that. At approx 21,000 passengers per day at the moment (way down on pre-covid levels still) that would work out at around $1,000,000 Cad per day - for a discretionary federal policy that is doing little to nothing to prevent the spread of Covid

I understand your feelings on this, but I suspect that your ire would be better directed at your government's policy here.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grinning wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

NP - when are you flying? I;ll be posting details of my success/failure

20 Jan - Vancouver - BA


You should be OK - every report I've seen about people getting through on a positive PCR test are at BA checkin. My worry is that I can;t find anything on an AC flight, and of course, that's what I picked this time out (much better arrival time into Vancouver)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've registered on the Switch Health site for the arrival testing at Toronto, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to actually book the test. Has anyone managed to do this successfully?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stuarth, Hitherto, I have always found your posts informative and adding value. I am not sure what is different today; further I was not aware that I had singled out Canada specifically for Covid testing craziness? For what it’s worth, there are no tests (LFT or PCR) available from the NHS currently in England (ie free). In fact, I read this morning that the UK manufactured LFTs are exported to the EU as they don’t meet the UK’s revised standards Shocked Puzzled and the UK is entirely dependent on imported tests. Apologies for poking the bear, not my intention Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Saintsman,

The policy is what it is. Personally if I was the Provincial government I'd be pretty unhappy with the federal government for diverting resources that they could really use.

But if you choose to come here, its a bit rude to then criticize the free priority service you're getting when it's a far better one than the people paying for it, and compared to people (now not) going to Europe, etc, an option you still have


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 3-01-22 21:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@narbs

You don't "book" a test. Once you've collected your bags, you join the queue for testing (assuming you have a red sticker on your passport). There should be a separate, shorter, queue for pre-registered passengers. From there it's first come first served.

Don't be thinking about this like the process(es) we have in the UK. There is nothing available in the UK which looks remotely like this system
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Snowsartre,

Criticism not aimed at you, you just stuck your head up and got caught in the crossfire; apologies for that!

It was aimed at @yorkshirelad compaining his test took so long. I'm sure its pretty frustrating, but in the bigger picture, rather insensitive at best.


Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 3-01-22 20:59; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saintsman wrote:
@narbs

You don't "book" a test. Once you've collected your bags, you join the queue for testing (assuming you have a red sticker on your passport). There should be a separate, shorter, queue for pre-registered passengers. From there it's first come first served.

Don't be thinking about this like the process(es) we have in the UK. There is nothing available in the UK which looks remotely like this system


Ah, sorry - I'd misunderstood registering for booking the test, thanks.

Do I just print off the account page then, with my details on?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NP

Yep. Best advice I can give you is to print off a hard copy, as they need to add some details to it then point you to a test station
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stuarth, No worries. Testing times wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowsartre, given it’s two of you, you don’t really need a massive vehicle. We are going with some FWD car we’ll be given but not planning on straying far off transcanadian highway at all.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
stuarth wrote:
@Snowsartre,

Criticism not aimed at you, you just stuck your head up and got caught in the crossfire; apologies for that!

It was aimed at @yorkshirelad compaining his test took so long. I'm sure its pretty frustrating, but in the bigger picture, rather insensitive at best.


Not me complaining!,,!..I was only commenting on Daleherando who's wife's test came through 17 hours after his!!!... if we have to wait for result so be it, I can be easily entertained with wine, pizza and nuts.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

But at 1 million Canadian dollars a day to test people who tested negative with PCR test 9 hours before landing in Canada seems a bit Ash try on a motorbike.ish... but they have to be seen to be doing something, ..I had 3 days in vancouver booked so don't miss any skiing.. ..8 sleeps to go Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yorkshirelad wrote:
stuarth wrote:
@Snowsartre,

Criticism not aimed at you, you just stuck your head up and got caught in the crossfire; apologies for that!

It was aimed at @yorkshirelad compaining his test took so long. I'm sure its pretty frustrating, but in the bigger picture, rather insensitive at best.


Not me complaining!,,!..I was only commenting on Daleherando who's wife's test came through 17 hours after his!!!... if we have to wait for result so be it, I can be easily entertained with wine, pizza and nuts.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

But at 1 million Canadian dollars a day to test people who tested negative with PCR test 9 hours before landing in Canada seems a bit Ash try on a motorbike.ish... but they have to be seen to be doing something, ..I had 3 days in vancouver booked so don't miss any skiing.. ..8 sleeps to go Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


I didn’t think you were complaining to be honest. We were more worried that as mine came through so much earlier that there had been an issue with my wife’s one considering they were carried out at exactly the same time in the booths next to each other.

-28° at Sunshine today, time to get those layers on!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We would be having kittens as well if one test didn't come through for several hours after getting first one negative..

--28 !!! Stone me ...glad I just bought some heated gloves Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its cold out there. Not much respite until Sunday /Monday.

My tip for cold weather skiing is to go and buy KT tape and use it on vulnerable parts of the face
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve just tested positive for COVID, hopefully I’ll be clear in 10 days or less! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RichardB wrote:
I’ve just tested positive for COVID, hopefully I’ll be clear in 10 days or less! Sad


When do you travel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
19th January, 2 weeks tomorrow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You should be fine then. Your positive test "should" replace your 72 hour pre-departure test and allow you to avoid arrivals testing. This is known to work flying with BA, I'll be testing AC next week.

From travel.gc.ca:

Already recovered: Travellers who provide a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago) before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can that that be an NHS PCR test or does it need to be a private one?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
With BA it's been done with the NHS positive test that is recorded in the app. Strictly speaking that doesn't 100% meet the criteria for any sort of test that Canada accept, but as I said, BA are known to accept it at checkin and that's the only place the test cert gets inspected
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has to be a PCR...14 days before you travel and you dont have to do anymore testing for 180 days..

we could not catch covid again last year to get into canada without testing Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yorkshirelad wrote:
Has to be a PCR...14 days before you travel and you dont have to do anymore testing for 180 days..

we could not catch covid again last year to get into canada without testing Very Happy Very Happy


By the time he travels it'll be 10 days wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saintsman wrote:
With BA it's been done with the NHS positive test that is recorded in the app. Strictly speaking that doesn't 100% meet the criteria for any sort of test that Canada accept, but as I said, BA are known to accept it at checkin and that's the only place the test cert gets inspected


BA may let him fly there, but will the Border patrol at Canada accept it? Figure I’ve seen quoted is 30% of people failing a PCR 30 days after infection. The bit that would (/did before we re-arranged) worry me is getting there but then being made to do (and failing) the PCR when you land.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anddmac wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
With BA it's been done with the NHS positive test that is recorded in the app. Strictly speaking that doesn't 100% meet the criteria for any sort of test that Canada accept, but as I said, BA are known to accept it at checkin and that's the only place the test cert gets inspected


BA may let him fly there, but will the Border patrol at Canada accept it? Figure I’ve seen quoted is 30% of people failing a PCR 30 days after infection. The bit that would (/did before we re-arranged) worry me is getting there but then being made to do (and failing) the PCR when you land.


All the reports are that the documentation check is by the airline at check-in. You tick a box in Arrivecan to say that you're submitting a 14+ day positive test; no-one looks at anything in Canada as long as Arrivecan, your passport, and ETA all tie up. You get a green sticker on your passport and skip the test queue
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like trudeau is holding a press conference tomorrow at 4.30pm UK time Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Timmaah,

Haven't heard from him in a while, so perhaps just a show that he's still around? I would be surprised if much changes. In Canada it's the provinces that drive the health strategy (and as you can see, they can do different things; there is a curfew in Quebec now! Shocked ).
Federal government control the borders, but can't see that there is much they could really do that would make any difference.

More pertinent thing was the point emphasized in Dr Henry's (BC Provincial Health Officer) update today that businesses should be preparing to operate with 30% of staff off sick. Don't think this is unique to BC or Canada or anywhere, but definitely a big problem generally from a keeping things going perspective.


Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-01-22 23:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Accompanied by deputy PM, finance minister, and health advisors. Tempting fate, but sounds like a bit of a general update, with a bit of finance support for businesses
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Saintsman,

yes, sounds like it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gryphea wrote:
Its cold out there. Not much respite until Sunday /Monday.

My tip for cold weather skiing is to go and buy KT tape and use it on vulnerable parts of the face


Lightweight - surely you use duct tape if you're core! wink


( yes aware that duct tape isn't always perfect at low temps but adhesion can be improved by light application of a blowtorch.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has there been any reported problems with delays due to staff shortages at heathrow so far ??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We had a really easy trip through on Sunday, bit of a queue at checkin but nothing too bad and then super fast through security.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To give you an update, I’m having very mild symptoms at the moment but I’m thinking about organising a PCR next week if I can get out of isolation after 7 days and perhaps delaying my already booked PCR for travel to the following day which would be Monday.

Just keeping all my bases covered if proof of recovery is not enough for Air Canada.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you can hold off till Tuesday I will report on my AC check-in experience using the NHS record.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saintsman wrote:
If you can hold off till Tuesday I will report on my AC check-in experience using the NHS record.


Excellent Thank You ! This will give me some idea for the 19th of Jan.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tradeau on TV at 4.30 GMT...might be good news
ski holidays



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy