Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@Saintsman, edited due to error - restaurants closing from 10pm to 5am.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How do the cases compare in Quebec compared to British Columbia and Alberta?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@VolklAttivaS5, Quebec higher number of infections and current cases but lower death rate per 100,000 than both Shocked Shocked
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/canada-covid-cases.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The concern in Quebec is not the number of cases, but the relatively limited number of hospital beds for Covid patients. They're running much closer to capacity than BC
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking pretty ominous - numbers in BC shooting up (as predicted). Sad
Provincial government is announcing more measures tomorrow. At a guess I'd think they'd be simular to this time last year, which though it's the federal government that controls the borders, will likely make non-essentiall stuff, well, non-essential. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty sad situation. Sad

I too, am debating whether to cross the border now while it's still open (I'm within easy driving distance, and work remote. So it's entirely feasible to just cross over and stay there for a while). The skiing on this side of the continent isn't very good just yet, unfortunately. But there's a small risk we may be blocked from cross the border in the next couple weeks.

On the other hand, I'm slightly uncomfortable to travel with all the uncertainty with this new variant. What if I get sick while in Canada? This new variant is so contagious, even though I'm triple jabbed...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn had decided to book today before seeing the Quebec lockdown Sad hope everyone that's already out there gets to carry on skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Daishan, I booked with Ski Big 3 for Banff as that was a good deal the first time I went in Feb 2020, an accommodation and lift ticket package. I had to pay 5% deposit with the rest payable 14 days before so by then we should know what is happening (ish!).
Air Canada let you move the flight for free as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, I was going to book for 2 weeks starting on the 27th of Dec, with Non Stop snow in Fernie.
Just seems like there's half a chance BC will follow Quebec :/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Daishan, hmmm well that’s pretty close to now so you might be ok.
Tricky one though like you say. Depends on if they will give you your money back I suppose?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think they have a pretty good Covid policy, might ring them in a bit too have a chat.
Did someone say the Canadian government where making an announcement today?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Daishan, yeah see what they say.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thats my whistler trip and les arc trip both down the pan...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daishan wrote:
Think they have a pretty good Covid policy, might ring them in a bit too have a chat.
Did someone say the Canadian government where making an announcement today?

BC government.
Here provinces are responsible for health. Federal government controls the borders.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Read on this thread that there was going to be an announcement tomorrow...but in the news it now says today.. current restrictions to last until 31st January..
snow report
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-reports-2-550-weekend-cases-of-covid-19-says-more-measures-coming-1.5714660
ski holidays
Biden just acknowledge he's "considering remove the travel ban" (against SA & other African countries), given the variant is already inside the country and widely spread in the communities.

So maybe Canada will not impose any new border restrictions... there's hope

Or it could be the opposite. Canada doesn't want any more Americans there given how widely the variant had spread in the US... Sad
snow report
The one restriction I can pretty much guarantee BC won't announce today - mandatory vaccinations to ride the gondolas
ski holidays
@abc,
In this case it's not the border restrictions coming today - the horse has already bolted there (though likely not much escape prevention realistically possible!), and that's a federal thing
Provincial health updates previously included stuff like provincial vaccine programs/mandates, testing, as well as restrictions on schools, restaurants, local movement, and ski resorts

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 21-12-21 21:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Saintsman,
Apart from Whistler, it wouldn't change much if they did, as I think most other resorts with gondolas/trams do already have their own mandate.
snow report
That's a bit of a nothingburger WRT ski trips, unless you're part of a large group
snow conditions
https://globalnews.ca/news/8464883/bc-covid-update-tuesday-december-21-new-restrictions/
ski holidays
A current data point would be Silver Star, with full loading of all lifts without restriction except for their gondola where a mask is required. Vaccine passport needed only for entry to certain restaurants.

Hard to plan in this environment, if anybody needed an understatement!
latest report
@Saintsman,
not sure it has no impact...
I am wondering how max 2 households (same ones) applies to Gondolas?
You may have also overlooked the quite significant impact this all has on people who actually live here.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 21-12-21 23:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
As i said, specifically for ski trips. I wasn't making any comment at all about how it impacted locals, and I would have thought that was fairly clear after re-reading my post.

As for gondolas, it won’t apply. Apparently they're well ventilated and very short
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
As i said, specifically for ski trips. I wasn't making any comment at all about how it impacted locals, and I would have thought that was fairly clear after re-reading my post.

As for gondolas, it won’t apply. Apparently they're well ventilated and very short

Well ventilated is optimistic - particularly as I had to remind the supervisor they need to open the windows! Short, equally optimistic - Whistler village gondola stopped for 45 minutes yesterday apparently (though as it was -16C, at least COVID probably wasn't the biggest concern for those stuck!)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 22-12-21 2:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Saintsman,
Do you not also think there might be a few questions if Whistler is still putting lots of random people in a Gondola, yet residents of BC can't spend time with friends and family, go to the gym, get surgery...

So I'm glad you can all still make it for your ski trip, and as it seems mostly international visitors are well and truly tested so no more or less risk than anyone else, but would be really nice if everyone backed off quite a bit on the social interactions, and if we could take the same precautions that (mostly) got us through last season.
snow report
Does anyone know if BC classes Cactus Club and Keg as bars or restaurants, please?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd have thought they'd be categorized as restaurants
snow report
Taken from the covid info news site...(bars to close but not pubs ???!!?!?!)

Here is a summary of the new restrictions:

no organized indoor social events and gatherings of any size (for example, weddings and parties);
concerts, sports games and theatres reduced to 50 per cent seated capacity, regardless of venue size;
closing gyms, fitness centres and dance studios;
closing bars and nightclubs; and
limiting table sizes at restaurants, cafes and pubs to a maximum of six people per table with physical distancing or barriers.
snow report
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Well ventilated is optimistic - particularly as I had to remind the supervisor they need to open the windows! Short, equally optimistic - Whistler village gondola stopped for 45 minutes yesterday apparently (though as it was -16C, at least COVID probably wasn't the biggest concern for those stuck!)

I was paraphrasing the deeply underwhelming Bonnie Henry.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
@Saintsman,
Do you not also think there might be a few questions if Whistler is still putting lots of random people in a Gondola, yet residents of BC can't spend time with friends and family, go to the gym, get surgery...

So I'm glad you can all still make it for your ski trip, and as it seems mostly international visitors are well and truly tested so no more or less risk than anyone else, but would be really nice if everyone backed off quite a bit on the social interactions, and if we could take the same precautions that (mostly) got us through last season.

I completely agree that the Gondola situation in Whistler is unsustainable. Whistler has effectively become the go-to ski destination for the unvaxed; even if you allow that everyone out of province has had to prove their vax status and completed a PCR (especially given that I don't believe it's possible to drive in from Alberta still?) there's still the "local" unvaxed population. Reportedly facemasks aren't being enforced on the gondolas, even at boarding, and vax/id status isn't being checked at on-mountain restaurants, presumably because it's far too painful to manage on mountain. At bare minimum Whistler need to tie lift passes to vaccination proof, and THEN give further thought to managing Gondolas - but while BC Health are adamant that Gondolas aren't a transmission vector and that on-mountain restaurants don't need to comply with their rules then I don't see Whistler/Vail doing anything at all.
ski holidays
https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/itineraries/2021/12/21/prime-ministers-itinerary-wednesday-december-22-2021

"12:00 p.m. The Prime Minister will virtually address Canadians on the COVID-19 situation and make an announcement..."

This will be 5pm GMT
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, as far as I understand "bars " don't serve food whereas pubs and restaurants do , hence the different rules , so cactus club and the keg are definitely in the second group and therefore will be open although restricted under new rules
snow conditions
@Dabber, Eh oh!Eh oh! unless Trudeau ruins the party later….
ski holidays
No leaks or trailers for this afternoon's announcement yet.
snow conditions
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1986529347898

I assume we can watch this from the UK unless some kind of geo-block appears when it goes live.
snow report
This appears to be about nationwide financial support during lockdown measures
snow report
Could not get sound when Trudeau was on,
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Could not get sound when Trudeau was on,

You didn't miss much. All very general about supporting Canadians during the Omicron wave
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy