Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Have gone to Sunshine today for the first time this trip. Looks like they’ve had about 3cm of fresh snow last night. The snow is in very good condition but it’s easy to scrape rocks on the single diamond runs at the top of Standish chair.
I’ve not been here in Jan before so I don’t know if this is normal for the time of year or if there is vastly less snow than usual for Jan.
Kicking Horse have had 14 cm in the last 24 hours so I’m just thinking about whether it’s worth going over there yet or not.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They’ve got this thing at Sunshine where there are signs saying ‘no bags or backpacks’ inside the lodge (or wherever)
I don’t think that was there last time. I just wore mine into a bar down at the bottom though and no one said to leave it outside Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
They’ve got this thing at Sunshine where there are signs saying ‘no bags or backpacks’ inside the lodge (or wherever)
I don’t think that was there last time. I just wore mine into a bar down at the bottom though and no one said to leave it outside Puzzled

Was that in the day lodge on the hill ?? Rather than Trappers ?
Or do they mean not to leave them in the day lodge , while you go ski ? As folks used to do that previously.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a low snow year. Sad That applies to all of Western Canada. Having said that the futher west you go the more snow there is. Not skied KH this year so can't provide any actual beta.

Having said that Standish is always pretty wind swept in spots.

Sunshine have changed policy on bags and now want people to use the storage either outside or in the big "tents".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bones wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Was that in the day lodge on the hill ?? Rather than Trappers ?
Or do they mean not to leave them in the day lodge , while you go ski ? As folks used to do that previously.

Everywhere that’s a restaurant has a sign up.
Not sure what the problem is, I can understand the really big bags that race teams have would take up a lot of space indoors but I think there’s plenty of room for your ordinary rucksack.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sweaman22 wrote:
It's a low snow year. Sad That applies to all of Western Canada. Having said that the futher west you go the more snow there is. Not skied KH this year so can't provide any actual beta.

Having said that Standish is always pretty wind swept in spots.

Sunshine have changed policy on bags and now want people to use the storage either outside or in the big "tents".

The worst hill today was Goat’s Eye. Lots of stones showing it’s better to go through the tree runs.
It did start snowing about 2pm though so I will hopefully get some freshies tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
{Uniformed speculation}. I think they're trying to stop people setting up camp inside so if it's a small bag and you are clearly having a short break likely no problem. If it's a big bag and you break out a laptop (it happens) then more of an issue.

I also tend not to ski with a bag as much as I did 10 years ago in Europe. Except perhaps for Whistler most resorts are small enough that you can get back to base pretty quickly. A couple of pocket snacks and small water bottle in an inside pocket is enough to keep going. The lifts are much easier without bags and any water in a rucksack doesn't last long at -20 (present conditions accepted)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@VolklAttivaS5,
I was in kicking horse last week - definitely needs more snow. Plenty of rocks, skis took a bit of a beating Sad
Currently in Nelson. Whitewater has a pretty decent amount of snow andvwas great earler in the week, but got a bit warm and wet in the last couple of days. Cooling down a bit next week I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stuarth, yeah I was thinking even with this 14cm in the last 24 hours it would be enough to hide the rocks but not when it’s scuffed off/skied.
Will wait a little while longer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Little bit of snow in Banff this morning, only about 1cm if that mind but that means there should be at least 5cm on the mountain hopefully. LL webpage says they’ve had 6cm overnight so maybe there might be a little more at Sunshine Puzzled
Off to Kicking Horse though this morning, booked it yesterday afternoon when I saw it had snowed again there all day yesterday. So hopefully I will get some freshies in for the first time this holiday!
I have enjoyed the last couple of days at Sunshine there’s plenty to keep you occupied even without any fresh snow, coverage is pretty good to be fair it just looks normal for the Alps in mid Jan. found some small powder stashes yesterday off Strawberry in the small trees to the right of the lift and over a bit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Daughter was skiing Sun Peaks at the weekend. From her vids the trees were looking pretty laden with snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dode, yeah loads and loads of snow on the tree branches.
SSV safety say there’s 3cm overnight at Sunshine. Thought there would be more than that.

Kicking Horse has fresh snow but again only about 5cm. Lower pistes are rubbish but up high there’s plenty of fresh tracks to be had if you look for them. It says 0cm fresh snow on the board but I think there must have been a few cm at least.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5, there has been a long standing problem with people Bringing in huge amounts of “luggage” from the cars containing food for lunch and breaks, clothes, etc., stashing it under the tables and “Claiming” an area for the day, leaving very limited space for paying guests to eat their lunch. Although we love Sunshine and LL, this trend became really annoying as there just isn’t anywhere to sit in the cafeterias without having people’s belongings clogging up everything. The resorts we’re trying to address it with not a lot of effect. I hope the problem is getting sorted. I don’t think day packs which you carry with you when you’ve finished are what they are referring to.

Please keep the info coming! I’m really enjoying it. I can feel Goats Eye under my feet as I’m reading the report. Fingers crossed for a bit more snow!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lynnecha, ah I see. Is this because at Sunshine you can’t ski back to the car without doing the long (but very enjoyable) ski out?

It hadn’t occurred to me that people want to claim an area in a cafe for the day, I’m only in there half an hour getting lunch and then I’m off again!

When the KH bus got to LL yesterday morning there was a good 5cm of fluffy powder on the ground by the shops. So I think people had a good day at LL yesterday. Kind of wish I’d gone there but it wasn’t in the forecast.

I did manage to get some freshies at KH yesterday, the bowl on the right of the Stairway to Heaven chair had a fair bit of untracked as long as you went across far enough to start. The rest of it was chalky grippy snow so all very enjoyable. Fair few stones on the path in from Stairway to Heaven. Lots of people mentioning core shots on their skis. Mine are ok actually considering but they will need a bit of Ptex when I get home for light gouges. The trails back to the bottom were variable, the road all the way back was in good condition but the offshoot trails were variable with vegetation and rocks poking out. From what I could gather they had rain low down on Sunday which made the lower trails naff.
It was warmer yesterday than I was expecting so still very mild for Jan.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey All,

Off to Banff staying at our usual Moose for two weeks at the end of February. Can't wait.

So wanted to get some 1-1 ski lesson's for the Mrs whilst there and at Sunshine Skiing. Any recommendations please?
snow conditions
Your only options are the resort ski schools. The resort run everything - it’s different to Europe. However the Sunshine ski school are superb. I’ve had private lessons with them - and group lessons are rarely more than four. Never had a problem booking when I’ve arrived.

Have a great time. We’re off to Banff in April, not been there since pre-Covid!
latest report
TJ

Thank you for the reply. April is a great time to ski near Banff as we were there two weeks in April 22.
Never had any ski lessons in sunshine but Mrs wanted a lesson or two.
snow report
By late March LLouise was offering cheap private lessons for First Tracks, early morning. I booked 5 and insisted I got the same instructor each time. Early is no problem with the time difference as you wake up at 0430. It was excellent value. I don’t know if Sunshine offer anything similar.
snow conditions
Heading to Banff on Sunday for the first winter trip (visited previously in the summer). Looking forward to it although it’s a shame it’s a low snow year so far!

Can anyone recommend a hire shop or ski shop that may be able to offer help in issue below.

I just got new ski boots and they have grip walk soles (have to say if I didn’t see another thread today this would have completely passed me by!) I’m not sure if my current bindings are compatible (marker squire 11 from 2017) and don’t want to take the risk. I will either need to hire or take the skis and buy new bindings and get them fitted.
latest report
Get DIN soles for your boots. GW is a scam by the industry and any reputable bootfitter should have checked what bindings you had before sending you out of the door with GW only.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Get DIN soles for your boots. GW is a scam by the industry and any reputable bootfitter should have checked what bindings you had before sending you out of the door with GW only.

Puzzled

A scam to make boots that are far better for walking anywhere?

Why is it the job of the bootfitter to check your bindings? Personal responsibility not a thing anymore?
All the bindings I've bought in the last few years from Salomon, Look, and Marker have been gripwalk compatible, no idea about rentals but I'd be quite surprised if modern rental bindings were any different.

Btw, think this needs to be moved to the equipment forum. Binding compatibility is a bit of a thread hijack and not really a unique thing to Canada Madeye-Smiley
But to quickly answer your question, do your bindings have "ID" on them and a screw at the front that adjusts the height of the afd? Marker introduced these in 2017 I think.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-01-23 15:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@PisteQueen, yes Stuart is right, if they have ID on them they will work but they will need adjusting by the ski shop to be safe.
snow report
Off to LL today. Took a day off yesterday I was done in after the long day at KH what with the bus there and back.
There’s been a bit of fresh overnight, not much mind, it is threatening to snow on Saturday so let’s hope that comes to fruition.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5,
Forgot to say, so maybe a bit late but a note for future trips if you missed it, the BLT at the coffee shop at the base of KH is awesome! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Thanks all for the advice (sorry about the hijack!) my rationale for posting here was to get recommendations for rentals in Banff in case I cannot sort the binding issue out. It anyone can help with that very appreciated snowHead
snow report
stuarth wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,
Forgot to say, so maybe a bit late but a note for future trips if you missed it, the BLT at the coffee shop at the base of KH is awesome! Madeye-Smiley

Thanks, yes I found the lunch at the Whitetooth Grill right by the bus parking was nice and then I had a snack at the Black Diamond cafe later on before the bus back, is that the one you mean?

The other place further over had sticky menus (not just one) so that put me off, hell if you can’t even wipe those clean when they are made of plastic what hope is there
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5,
Double black cafe IIRC.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Puzzled

A scam to make boots that are far better for walking anywhere?

Why is it the job of the bootfitter to check your bindings? Personal responsibility not a thing anymore? .

Maybe not a scam but a convenient and/ or dangerous pitfall for the unwary. And as such I think industry pros should be very alert to it and honest upfront about it. When there is an established norm in a sector and then companies choose to deviate from it it is clearly a problem. If I was a bootfitter selling GW boots I'd want at least to ascertain if the skier had their own skis and if so what binding before making the sale perhaps automatically subbing the DIN sole if the answer was a DIN binding. Good practice no? And maybe an upsell to sell the GW sole as well in case the skier were to upgrade bindings in the future.

And as for personal responsibility I think it is a sufficiently complex area that a punter is entitled to expect technically accurate advice and warnings from the technician. Most punters can't tell you the make of their rental ski - how do you think they'd know to ask about GW when buying boots?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Agree that the transition from DIN to GripWalk could have probably been handled a lot better - especially when there was competing and apparently incompatible walk-to-ride from some manufacturers, and ISO9523 in the mix too. I bought Marker bindings at the time GW first came out because they could handle them, and my preferred Pivots were only DIN or WTR - very annoying!
But really glad the transition has happened. Clambering around rocks and ice on a solid flat strip of plastic, or even walking across the parking lot wasn't that great, so gripwalk is a big step forward (excuse the pun!)

The latter is really down to the rental shop - they will be adjusting the bindings so clearly should say if the boot is not compatible with the binding (and on the thread in the equipment forum, where this should be being discussed, someone noted that you'd expect rental fleets and technicians to be up to date with this).
If you are buying new boots for your own skis then it really is your responsibility, and not really a new thing with GripWalk. If you've got a new boot and you don't know enough to know your sole type, would you even know/assume the sole length is exactly the same even if a DIN sole? Type A, type C lugs...?
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5,
Double black cafe IIRC.

That’s it!
So. At LL the trails are in better condition than at KH. Just after 10am it started to snow very lightly and now it’s starting to collect on chair lift seats. There was nothing in the forecast until Sat so let’s hope this is it. It’s much colder today than it was last week, it’s -8 C at Larch chair
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5,

Its pouring hard in Vancouver so hopefully some of that gets to you as snow! snowHead
latest report
@stuarth, lightly snowing at LL base station so fingers crossed it will speed up and belt it out all day and all night! Wishful thinking possibly but the pressure has dropped a little bit today.
snow report
Sun is out at LL now and although there’s a few flakes coming down it’s not settling.
Quite cold today.
snow report
Low snow!! Fingers crossed for plenty in February as we are there 23rd onwards. Love skiing in Canada, nice people and nicely laid back too. Do fancy a week in Fernie then upto Banff or twin centre skiing at some point over a two week period.
snow conditions
@RoamingBull, I think it’s got to come soon surely, I think you will be fine in Feb.
Next year I think I will hire a car and stay a week in Golden so I can ski KH without that really long day on the bus trip from Banff (which is good value for money but it’s an early start and finish) then go on up to Revelstoke for a week.
Will need to look at the best value way of doing the lift pass though for those two resorts as both times I’ve been to Banff I’ve done the Ski Big 3 early bird discount (40% off) hotel and lift pass combo which worked out the most reasonable price I could find including the accommodation.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@RoamingBull, I think it’s got to come soon surely, I think you will be fine in Feb.
Next year I think I will hire a car and stay a week in Golden so I can ski KH without that really long day on the bus trip from Banff (which is good value for money but it’s an early start and finish) then go on up to Revelstoke for a week.
Will need to look at the best value way of doing the lift pass though for those two resorts as both times I’ve been to Banff I’ve done the Ski Big 3 early bird discount (40% off) hotel and lift pass combo which worked out the most reasonable price I could find including the accommodation.

Hey Yeah last 3 times for us we book BigSki3 as we booked whilst it's the 40% off. Just book the flights from the UK and hey presto. We Love it though. Stay at Moose and up on the rooftop for a relax in the hot tubs with a beer
snow report
@RoamingBull, yes I couldn’t find anything better as every time I’ve looked at Whistler it’s almost £1000 more like for like.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@RoamingBull, yes I couldn’t find anything better as every time I’ve looked at Whistler it’s almost £1000 more like for like.

Yes our first Ski trip was to Whistler as a friend has a gaff there. Still cost us an arm and a leg. Plus it seemed to be a lot of high 5'ing going on and whooping.

We like the low key of the western rockies and the nice laid back aymosphere. Barely ever had to queue. Even over Easter last year I was expecting chaos but nothing.
Don't think we will ski in the Alps anytime soon again tbh. Until we start having more holidays.

Think for two of us from UK for all in inc food is approx 7k for two weeks.

Can't wait to sink my first shaft in Elk and Oarsman ;0)))))))
snow report
@RoamingBull, yeah I don’t care about high fiving etc either. Laid back suits me.

I see KH and Revelstoke aren’t available on the same pass, for best value it seems IKON would work so I might have to switch KH for Red Mountain instead. Or I could do Panorama and Revelstoke on the IKON.
snow conditions
Loads of big trucks here (i.e. Utes)
Are there no manual gearboxes anywhere then? They all sound automatic here?

This is only my second time to Canada and I’ve noticed both times although there are ski lockers available there are no boot warming rooms like you would find in Alpine nations, they don’t seem to mind people wearing their ski boots inside the hotel whereas in the Alps that is mostly a no no.
I don’t mind keeping my boots in my room in fact it’s easier just to wear them straight out in the morning but are boot rooms not a thing here?

Snowing intermittently in Banff right now. Please God let there be more up high.
Turns out they have Happy Hour in the Chili’s restaurant inside the Fox hotel between 2.30 and 5.30pm. Who knew?
Food was nice too although does anyone else find a starter here is enough on its own? The starters are 1.5-2x what you’d get in the UK so I’ve not needed a main meal as well to be honest.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy