Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
So what's the script for leaving Canada to the UK?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WASHOUT wrote:
So what's the script for leaving Canada to the UK?

Isn't it simply:-

1. Complete passenger locator form online.
2. Fly home. Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's it pretty much. Your vaccination record and your PLF will be inspected at check-in, then you're good to go
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Due to fly in to Calgary on March 12th and looking at booking a private transfer to Banff. Does anyone have any recommendations they could share?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skisaint wrote:
Due to fly in to Calgary on March 12th and looking at booking a private transfer to Banff. Does anyone have any recommendations they could share?

The airporter bus, I believe does private transfers as well: https://banffairporter.com/

Ms T.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PisteQueen wrote:
Hi all, flying out to Vancouver on 7th March (very excited!). Has anyone booked the 24hr antigen tests instead of PCR which is now allowed from tomorrow? I’ve found a few providers that offer the telehealth/supervised tests but wondering if anyone has any feedback on these yet? Tempted to just book a PCR instead to play it safe!

I found a local pharmacy near to me did in person supervised rapid tests. £39, emails the results through within 3 hours.

Email says they’re in this site: https://mylocaltest.co.uk/

I knew they did them so didn’t have to go searching, but it was a really good service so if you have one locally I’d recommend.

Ms T.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mistress Twerkle wrote:
PisteQueen wrote:
Hi all, flying out to Vancouver on 7th March (very excited!). Has anyone booked the 24hr antigen tests instead of PCR which is now allowed from tomorrow? I’ve found a few providers that offer the telehealth/supervised tests but wondering if anyone has any feedback on these yet? Tempted to just book a PCR instead to play it safe!

I found a local pharmacy near to me did in person supervised rapid tests. £39, emails the results through within 3 hours.

Email says they’re in this site: https://mylocaltest.co.uk/

I knew they did them so didn’t have to go searching, but it was a really good service so if you have one locally I’d recommend.

Ms T.

Thank you for sharing! They unfortunately do not cover my area. We have booked PCR as it seems to be the most straightforward option
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, it probably is! I only had a test in case I have any hiccups with proving I’ve just had Covid, so am trying to cover all bases by also having proof of a negative test Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whistler is a bit of a PITA if you're staying out of the village due to the bus strike which has been going on for a month apparently. Can't be great for business for all the bars and restos either as taxis take up to 2 hours.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Much appreciated for info for return to UK.

Plus 1 on buses, currently in village having a beer and it's pissin it down unfortunately my bed is in Upper village..... upside it should be pretty dam good tomorrow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello all on the thread - good news, I have been following this thread for a while now but Canada has dropped its requirement to self-isolate on arrival until tests are back (I think they are still testing)!

We are hopefully going to be in Whistler over Easter and are very excited! I wonder if there are any Whistler experts on here that know much about skiing lessons? Are there any companies or people you would particularly recommend? I would like to do just one day on the slopes in a class to find my feet (I'm a nervous skier) whereas for my husband and kids who are much more able, it's more about getting to know some of the area (or is it better to get a guide for that)?

Thanks so much,

Didi
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lessons at Whistler are run by WB/Vail. It's not like Europe with multiple different ski schools. They run a Max5 lesson where they guarantee the group size will be no more than 5 at $279CAD per person for a full day, but if there's 4 of you it's almost certainly cheaper to book a private instructor who could act as both a guide and give you some confidence. Prices don't seem to be available online for that at the moment though - from memory it was around $800CAD for a day
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Saintsman, thanks for your fast reply and apologies for my ignorance! I guess the challenge of booking a private instructor is the ability difference between us - I ski blues (European blues, I read that Canadian blues can be a bit trickier) and the rest ski reds and even the odd black. But a good decision to mull over.

Thanks again,

Didi
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, there's a difference between how runs are graded (especially in Whistler) compared to Europe. The Blues can get a fair bit steeper than in Europe, but where they do, they will tend to go very wide; there's even some greens that have more than a bit of steep to them, although again where they go steep they will give you lots of width to work with. Conversely, some blacks (like the Upper Dave Murray) can feel stupendously easy compared to even a Euro Red.

In pre-covid times WB used to offer a daily guide service FOC, but that;s not available this year (I think due to staffing/resourcing issues)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the heads up on the grading, gulp!

Shame about the daily guide service but I do get that with everything that's happened, full service can't quite be expected yet! Do you think there might be some local guides who would do it on a paid-for basis?
snow report
There's some locals kicking around on this thread who could likely best advise (or may even offer themselves in return for, ahem, lubrication). On the grading, don't worry too much about it - the width gives you lots of options and space to get down easily even if you aren't too confident, and if there's any fresh-ish snow at all then it can get very easy and fun. Now that The Saddle has been re-graded as a black diamond I can't think of a single blue in WB that is both narrow and steep
ski holidays
The free "tour of the slopes" thing is running in Sun Peaks at least, so if it's not running in Whistler then that may well change shortly as stuff is generally opening up.
ski holidays
Hold on. This blues and blacks stuff is maybe a little bit off the rails.
1. Some but not all of the color difficulty codes vary by continent: there is agreement on black, but a EU red = NA blue; and an EU blue = NA green.
2. ....so by definition a blue in NA is steeper than a blue in the EU. Not due to a "difference in how runs are graded", which comes next.
3. As they remind us on every trail map, one resort's designations and how they interrelate apply to that resort only! There are greens at Sun Valley that are the easiest runs on the mountain, and so they are correctly coded green, which means "Easiest"....note that doesn't mean "easy"....though it could. But if you had come from Vail, those greens would seem like some of the blue or even black runs at Vail.

In sum: know your ability, understand what the color codes mean and how they differ, and ski on runs that match your ability and what you're trying to accomplish. I'd also suggest you learn about grooming reports that the areas provide in NA. Less accomplished skiers often focus on steepness or the color code, but what kind of snow is on the slope has plenty to do with how much fun/pain is involved with getting down, e.g. you might well be better off on a steepish groomer than on a gentler run covered in moguls.
ski holidays
All I would say to that is that while some Euro reds = NA Blues, and some Euro blues = NA greens, there is a real difference in how runs are graded IMHO. You can get a lot steeper in NA than Europe at the nominal equivalent level - but wherever you do you gain width, which isn't always the case in Europe. A wide steep run is FAR easier to negotiate than a narrow steep run, which tends to be reflected in NA, particularly at Whistler Blackcomb.

Either way, I agree with you on the snow conditions. There are Blacks at WB I will ski in all conditions; there are Blues (not looking at you Tokum) I won't go near without fresh snow as frankly they're no fun at all.
latest report
Saintsman wrote:
All I would say to that is that while some Euro reds = NA Blues, and some Euro blues = NA greens, there is a real difference in how runs are graded IMHO. You can get a lot steeper in NA than Europe at the nominal equivalent level - but wherever you do you gain width, which isn't always the case in Europe. A wide steep run is FAR easier to negotiate than a narrow steep run, which tends to be reflected in NA, particularly at Whistler Blackcomb.

Either way, I agree with you on the snow conditions. There are Blacks at WB I will ski in all conditions; there are Blues (not looking at you Tokum) I won't go near without fresh snow as frankly they're no fun at all.

Ha! Very Happy
I have cursed many times when doing garbo laps, thinking a rip down tokum is a good idea only to find it hasn't been groomed in ages and is all sorts of icy bumpy nastiness! I never learn! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Ha! Very Happy
I have cursed many times when doing garbo laps, thinking a rip down tokum is a good idea only to find it hasn't been groomed in ages and is all sorts of icy bumpy nastiness! I never learn! Madeye-Smiley

Glad it's not just me
snow conditions
I travelled to Calgary last week, from LHR via Toronto. Documents were checked at check in, then a minor check in Toronto before I was waved through the “no testing needed” lane - I assume they took all the info from the ArriveCan app. Nothing needed at all once I got to Calgary.

So, pretty straightforward in the end Smile

I’m in BC at the moment and everywhere wants to see your covid passport, and masks are required indoors / on gondolas/ chairs and in lift queues but it’s very low hassle and everyone’s being very sensible about stuff.

Ms T.
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Ha! Very Happy

Madeye-Smiley

Glad it's not just me

Hah took someone who I'd never skied with before down Bear Paw on Saturday as a warm up ( for which I apologised). She didn't want to ski with us Sunday!
ski holidays
Just arrived at Vancouver from the UK, despite having a pile of paperwork nothing was checked here and neither of us were selected for testing. Not sure how it was even working to be honest! Biggest stress was the long wait for the oversize bags. They didn’t even ask to see the ArriveCAN. We did VeriFLY with BA so all seemed straight forward.
snow report
As a visitor from the U.K. to Canada is the NHS Covid Pass acceptable as the ‘Covid Pass’, mentioned in above posts, or is there something else specific just to Canada?
snow report
Yes it is.
Word of warning though they do cross check it with photo ID in bars etc (which is fair enough)
snow report
Myfanwy wrote:
Yes it is.
Word of warning though they do cross check it with photo ID in bars etc (which is fair enough)

Thank you for your response.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Ha! Very Happy

Madeye-Smiley

Glad it's not just me

Hah took someone who I'd never skied with before down Bear Paw on Saturday as a warm up ( for which I apologised). She didn't want to ski with us Sunday!

So, you warmed up with the Upper Dave Murray and then Bear Paw? What do you do when you decide to do some serious skiing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Biggest stress was the long wait for the oversize bags.

Some things just don't change..... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:
Quote:

Biggest stress was the long wait for the oversize bags.

Some things just don't change..... Crying or Very sad

Very true, but given the amount of people with no bags arriving I’ll take the waiting!
snow report
Mr Marmot wrote:
As a visitor from the U.K. to Canada is the NHS Covid Pass acceptable as the ‘Covid Pass’, mentioned in above posts, or is there something else specific just to Canada?

As above, NHS pass is fine, but generally also checked against ID. Alberta’s rules are slightly less stringent than BC’s, but they’re still doing ID/pass checks in places that require vaccination.
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
stuarth wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

Ha! Very Happy

Madeye-Smiley

Glad it's not just me

So, you warmed up with the Upper Dave Murray and then Bear Paw? What do you do when you decide to do some serious skiing?

Oh poke around in some trees, get sketched out by rockbands then do a disco spin on my face on a shiny patch just above the lift line. Upper Dave is a delight anyway. My mistake was the refreeze on BP which had been quite flufy 2 days previous.
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Mrs H got upset with me when the warmup was couloir extreme (now Saudan Couloir) - don't think it helped when I answered the complaints with something along the lines of "well, it worked, you're warm now!" wink Madeye-Smiley
Garbo lift line another good one to get warm.

We should go skiing sometime, since it seems no-one else wants to ski with us anymore! wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-03-22 19:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Saw a guy ski idiots way first thing in the morning once (just a regular weekday, no fresh snow). He must of been on one of the first peak chairs and just skied down and stomped it. Remember thinking what's he going to do the rest of the day?!

@DidiSkis, whistlers not too hard to get around, they will likely find most of the good stuff for their level. There is a guidebook (PDF version available) https://quickdrawpublications.com/product/intermediate-ski-and-snowboard-guide-to-whistler-blackcomb/ that will probably be suitable for you and them. They also do an advanced guide, but it's pretty much all "off-piste" and some more challenging stuff which may be a bit too much for them if they are just used to red and occasional black posted runs in Europe.

Some good options for mixed ability groups at Whistler:
- harmony chair easy routes down harmony ridge, harmony piste, and gs while those looking for something a little more adventurous have harmony horseshoes, boomer bowl, gun barrels, boot chutes etc.
- crystal chair all the blues are nice and relatively easy then plenty of tree runs for those looking for more challenge.
- 7th heaven nice intermediate blue runs and plenty of off piste stuff for a little more challenge.
- symphony chair - same as 7th heaven. Can be a bit flat in parts (and especially getting back to the main Whistler area) so not always appreciated by snowboarders.
- even emerald chair while considered a bit of a beginner area has some fun little tree areas and the snow park so not a bad mix.

Make sure to do peak to creek one day (suitable for all) but double check it's been groomed top to bottom before setting off! If you are feeling confident after a few days blackcomb glacier can also be a nice option that you can all do together.
snow report
For anyone looking at late travel, it's rumoured/leaking that the requirement for pre-departure tests will be discontinued from the end of March for fully vaccinated passengers. Random arrivals testing will remain with no quarantine requirement
snow conditions
We are flying out on the 5th April for two weeks to Banff.

Hopefully pre departure testing is gone as you state Saintsman. Any source?

Friend of mine lives in Calgary and he was skiing Nakiska yesterday and conditions looked great. Hopefully first half of April will be too as I'm really looking forward not only for the skiing but a break from it all as we have been nowhere since our last ski trip to Banff in early 2021.
ski holidays
Same sources as pretty much all my previous info. Usually accurate, but no guarantees
snow conditions
Thanks for the info fingers crossed on no testing prior.
latest report
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-to-drop-pre-departure-testing-1.6386763

About as official a leak can be. Pre-departure testing ending, random arrivals testing WITHOUT quarantine to remain. Expected to come into force at the end of the month
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy