Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
@narbs, so literally the rules changed very rapidly this week, mid week. Announcement , then changes at midnight. Before that vaccine passport checked everywhere. I am pro vaccine, was pro passport, but I get why we have stopped demanding it. Here in Alberta vaccines do not seem to be preventing anyone from getting omicron and so the ethics behind requiring a passport when it seems everyone can get and transmit it seem somewhat dubious. Yes for Delta, it was extremely effective, but Omicron, no. I tested positive about 2.5 weeks ago and was symptomatic. About 5 weeks post booster.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gryphea, thanks, that explains it! It’s certainly speeding things up - long traffic queue for the last km or so up to Sunshine yesterday but all on the gondolas within 5 minutes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is what's been agreed between the Federal and provincial governments to come into effect Feb 28th; still theoretically subject to change but would require something going very wrong between now and then

Rapid antigen tests will be accepted for entry into Canada if taken within 24 hours of departure. Tests with online supervision will be accepted.
Eligible travellers leaving Canada and returning within 72 hours won't need to provide a test.
No more mandatory arrival testing. Travellers may be randomly selection upon arrival for testing but won't be required to quarantine.
Free rapid tests will be given to arriving travellers but they're to be used on a voluntary basis.
Fully vaccinated children under 12 won't need to avoid high-risk settings anymore (school, camp, etc.)
Global travel advisory will be lifted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saintsman wrote:
This is what's been agreed between the Federal and provincial governments to come into effect Feb 28th; still theoretically subject to change but would require something going very wrong between now and then

Rapid antigen tests will be accepted for entry into Canada if taken within 24 hours of departure. Tests with online supervision will be accepted.
Eligible travellers leaving Canada and returning within 72 hours won't need to provide a test.
No more mandatory arrival testing. Travellers may be randomly selection upon arrival for testing but won't be required to quarantine.
Free rapid tests will be given to arriving travellers but they're to be used on a voluntary basis.
Fully vaccinated children under 12 won't need to avoid high-risk settings anymore (school, camp, etc.)
Global travel advisory will be lifted.

How do you find out about this? Smile

So back to how it was a few months ago.
Fully vaccinated kids under 12 never had to avoid high risk settings - problem was/is that on the current Canadian Provinces schedule such kids will just be due to become fully vaccinated. Confused Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pre-covid I did a LOT of international travel; so I have a lot of connections and memberships of various travel related message boards.

Biggest difference is Antigen being the required predeparture test for entry to Canada
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saintsman wrote:
Pre-covid I did a LOT of international travel; so I have a lot of connections and memberships of various travel related message boards.

Biggest difference is Antigen being the required predeparture test for entry to Canada

But what do they mean by ‘on-line supervision’?

Here in the U.K. we have lots of test providers who ‘supervise’ the uploading on-line of a photograph of the test cassette and an ID document and issue a certificate whereas in the USA it is common for the ‘test taking’ to be visually monitored during a video call.

Also will PCR tests tests taken within 48 hours of travel be acceptable instead of Rapid Antigen (LF) within 24 hours?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Marmot wrote:
Saintsman wrote:

But what do they mean by ‘on-line supervision’?

Here in the U.K. we have lots of test providers who ‘supervise’ the uploading on-line of a photograph of the test cassette and an ID document and issue a certificate whereas in the USA it is common for the ‘test taking’ to be visually monitored during a video call.

Also will PCR tests tests taken within 48 hours of travel be acceptable instead of Rapid Antigen (LF) within 24 hours?

The rules are written largely to mirror the USA; so supervised online has the US meaning. For us UK (and pretty much the rest of the world) guys it's going to be an in-person antigen test. We'll need to wait for the full detail to be published, but I very much doubt a 48 hour PCR test would be an alternative; but a 24 hour PCR almost certainly would
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the US you can get a video supervised test where you show someone your passport then they watch you swabbing your nose and dropping solution on the test strip. Then you get certified for lft as normal with uploads of the casette 15 mins later. Not much cheaper than a drive thru PCR though when I did it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Natives question - i'm due to be driving YVR to Golden next weekend (would have stopped over en route but would rather burn some of my quarantine period in transit) - how reliable is google maps re road openings e.g. if I currently search directions to Golden it sends me up 5 but then there is a road closed icon on a stretch of 5?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr Marmot, we live in canada. My son's ski team travelled back from US through a land border. They had arrived 5 days earlier all with negative rapid antigen. All with pre departure PCRs. 4 got selected for arrival testing, but there were no facilities to test. They had to book an online zoom call with supervised swab testing. Then a courier has come to each of the team's houses, scattered over 3 different cities/areas. For some reason, which is mind blowing, the courier doesn't courier within BC , so he had to take the swab for the girl who lives in BC. They crossed in Ontario. In my mind a total waste of government money.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Additional speculation question. Any danger the Canadian gov might change the rules on 72 hr pre flight PCR with immediate effect? i.e, make it 48Hr or 24 hr. Woudl be unreasonable but then govts have been dicks about all sorts of stuff.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The current position is that they will move from 72 hour PCR to 24 hour Antigen at the end of the month, subject to the announcement this week
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flying from Aberdeen to vancouver today. Only thing check in desk in Aberdeen asked for was pcr test.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WASHOUT, have you done verifly though?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No.
snow report
Check at gate at where you are transiting through possibly- airline's responsibility if Canada don't admit you?
ski holidays
Thought only arriveCan was needed along with proof of vaccines
snow report
I thought verifly was optional but BA encouraged it before travel and I could not check in online before arrival at airport. My paperwork (I believe) is all in order (arrivcan, ETA, pcr fit to fly and my NHS app with 3x vaccinations).

Heathrow a breeze like normal but v quiet.

Will report back how YVR I have not prebooked a test.
latest report
Verify is not mandatory.

You’ve the paperwork I’ll be carrying in a months time unless they change the PCR requirements down to a LFT.

Good to know how you get on.
snow report
It currently works like this:

1 - Arrivecan - upload vaccination certificates
2 - Check-in - verify PCR test by check-in agent
3 - YVR arrivals. At the Kiosk, get passport scanned, photo taken, answer some questions, issued a receipt.
4 - Immigration review your receipt, assuming all is fine tell you whether you're going to be tested or not, pass you through to baggage collection
5 - collect bags, walk to exit. Receipt checked again, get directed to either testing queue or cleared for exit
snow report
What about the CBSA pre filling of the form online for border - waste of time or worthwhile? Curiously seemingly only accessible via ArriveCAN online not via the app.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
What about the CBSA pre filling of the form online for border - waste of time or worthwhile? Curiously seemingly only accessible via ArriveCAN online not via the app.

That's basically the kiosk Q&A stuff. There used to be an app before Arrivecan where you could voluntarily pre-complete the info to save a few minutes or so at the Kiosk - you scanned a QR receipt, then your passport, had your photo taken, then the receipt was printed.

That by was discontinued when Arrivecan was introduced; they're trialling reintroducing the functionality in Arrivecan but haven't got to the app yet, as you note.

For now you gain very little as pax numbers are still low
ski holidays
@WASHOUT, similar experience of Heathrow so far. Checked proof of recovery pass on NHS app, no issues. Didn’t ask to see anything for our 9 year old but had a negative PCR at the ready. Now enjoying a beer in weatherspoons! Interesting to see what awaits at YVR…
snow report
"Natives question - i'm due to be driving YVR to Golden next weekend (would have stopped over en route but would rather burn some of my quarantine period in transit) - how reliable is google maps re road openings e.g. if I currently search directions to Golden it sends me up 5 but then there is a road closed icon on a stretch of 5?"

Google isn't reliable especially for closures due to Avalanche. DriveBC is what you should look at. I've sat in Golden for hours and Google has had the road clear and free flowing....

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-02-22 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A bit of a downer.... Aberdeen airport just of the phone my suitcase still there.... luckily got boots and ski gear with me in hand luggage and think my ski bag still on enroute.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 15-02-22 17:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes,

I drove the Coquihalla last week (and north van to Kicking Horse a few weeks before when the Coquihalla was still closed)
For the most part the Coquihalla is amazingly fixed up and running again apart from a few single lane sections - and it is way better than the alternative routes.
That said I was checking DriveBC and Google maps because it is a mountain road with lots of trucks and prone to accidents and blockages. Last week there was a snowy section that was blocked in the other direction to me with trucks spinning out/sliding trying to get up the hills or backing up traffic whilst lining up to put chains on (likely the lack of being the reason for some not getting up the hill!)

I happened to be looking at Google maps yesterday, and Google said a section was closed, when nothing on drive bc - look for the red triangles and magnifying glasses on the drive bc map. I think looking carefully, this is one of the sections they are still fixing, and the closure is just on one side. At this point there is a contraflow, and construction speed limits, but was open.Looks like this is the case as just slower but not stopped traffic indicated by Google today at the same point (still showing the closure)

Going to Kicking Horse I had to spend a couple of hours in Revelstoke waiting for Rogers Pass Avalanche control. Not that bad as nice enough place with plenty of restaurants, though was closed all afternoon/evening, so lots of truckers in a hurry! Shocked
DriveBC app is good for tracking that, and allows you to plan - though note the list view seems to update faster than the map. That's why I also use Google maps as it seems to be a little more real-time, though I think it also needs cell service so the clear bits on some highways may well be because there is none!

If 5 is open, go that way, even with slowdowns and traffic. I had to go 3, 5A, 5 to Kicking Horse and it added at least 2 hours and is a much harder road (3 also very closure prone)

Whichever way you go, be prepared to be stopped for quite a while (lots of petrol, warm clothes, food, water)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 15-02-22 18:11; edited 6 times in total
latest report
Anybody know where I go for missing bags with BA in vancouver airport?
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:
Anybody know where I go for missing bags with BA in vancouver airport?

Pretty sure there's a helpdesk inside the baggage reclaim hall. If they can't help directly they'll at least be able to point you to the right person/phone number.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a lost luggage desk in baggage reclaim it's on the left as you walk through. (It was 2yrs ago who knows now).
snow report
Cheers
snow report
joneski wrote:
There's a lost luggage desk in baggage reclaim it's on the left as you walk through. (It was 2yrs ago who knows now).

There definitely is as I had to make use of it last week.

Myv suitcase took two and a half days to turn up though because they didn't fly out on Sunday.

Don't expect the form they give you to be any use when it comes to hiring clothing though.

Spicy Rentals do hire clothing but the ones listed on the paperwork don't.
latest report
Not long been in Clearance Centre in Whistler too. They've had a bit of stuff in this week including two pairs of snowboard boots in my size. Could have done with them this time last week.
snow report
Just now from Canadian government:

As of February 28, 2022 at 12:01 a.m. EST:

We will be easing the on-arrival testing for fully-vaccinated travellers. This means that travellers arriving to Canada from any country, who qualify as fully vaccinated, will be randomly selected for arrival testing. Travellers selected will also no longer be required to quarantine while awaiting their test result.
Children under 12 years old, travelling with fully vaccinated adults, will continue to be exempt from quarantine, without any prescribed conditions limiting their activities. This means, for example, they no longer need to wait 14 days before attending school, camp or daycare.
Unvaccinated travellers will continue to be required to test on arrival, on Day 8 and quarantine for 14 days. Unvaccinated foreign nationals will not be permitted to enter Canada unless they meet one of the few exemptions.
Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements. Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service.
The Government of Canada will adjust its Travel Health Notice from a Level 3 to a Level 2. This means that the Government will no longer recommend that Canadians avoid travel for non-essential purposes.
Travellers should understand the risks that are still associated with international travel given the high incidence of Omicron, and take necessary precautions.
On February 28, 2022 at 16:00 EST, Transport Canada’s Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) that restricts where international passenger flights can arrive in Canada will expire. This means that international flights carrying passengers will be permitted to land at all remaining Canadian airports that are designated by the Canada Border Services Agency to receive international passenger flights.
snow conditions
Changes: sounds like a good move. I'll be there before that cuts in, just.

The note about other airports is interesting, I wonder if there'll be more flight capacity. Flights seem cheap enough, but
there's not as much as I'd expect available.

Lost luggage: sorry to hear that. The Covid testing is where all those service desks used to be, isn't it?
There was a recent thread where people who don't get out from behind their keyboards much insisted such things never happen.
In my case I usually end up on the phone as my gear becomes significantly better travelled than me.
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, 'As of February 28, 2022 at 12:01 a.m. EST:
Canada be easing the on-arrival testing for fully-vaccinated travellers. This means that travellers arriving to Canada from any country, who qualify as fully vaccinated, will be randomly selected for arrival testing. Travellers selected will also no longer be required to quarantine while awaiting their test result. from https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/02/government-of-canada-lightens-border-measures-as-part-of-transition-of-the-pandemic-response.html Happy travels!
ski holidays
I'm a bit gutted to have missed the changes by 9 days (I'm flying out on Saturday) but I've I've got my pre-departure PCR today and I've just tested -ve on a lateral flow so fingers crossed Smile
snow report
No major problems to report with vancouver airport, I was picked out to test but they where picking most people out.

Not a major with my suitcase getting lost my ski bag turned up and I had enough gear in my pull along (boots, base layers, glove, helmet etc) for a few days skiing only need to buy a buff. So no issue. Also get compensation from insurance for delayed bags.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, google doesn't work when there is no cell reception.So this affects large swathes of national park. My worst impact- 13.75 hrs on way home from invermere which usually takes 2.5 to 3. Google had it green
ski holidays
So, the rules for BC as of 11.59 tonight:

Vaccine passport, ID, and facemasks still required

No table size limits
No capacity limits
Table mixing allowed
Dancing allowed
Indoor and outdoor events allowed

I suspect that staffing issues for the majority of hospitality businesses will now become VERY apparent here in Whistler
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:
No major problems to report with vancouver airport, I was picked out to test but they where picking most people out.

Not a major with my suitcase getting lost my ski bag turned up and I had enough gear in my pull along (boots, base layers, glove, helmet etc) for a few days skiing only need to buy a buff. So no issue. Also get compensation from insurance for delayed bags.

Will be interested to hear how this works out for you.

Got back from Whistler / YVR yesterday and probably going to start my claim processing later. As I understand it though, my insurer LV does not offer compensation, but the "policy provides cover for the purchase of necessary items".

So, if I didn't buy anything, I don't have anything to claim for or anything to reimburse / compensate for. Does your insurer offer something different?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy