Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to see my daughter in Revelstoke next sat. Got all departure hoops jumped through. Many thanks to all the snowheads who have posted info on here it's been invaluable. One thing, bothering me, on return, we have a flight Kelowna-Toronto and Toronto-Heathrow. As far as i can make out all we need on return is our completed British Passanger Locator forms. No tests? In this day and age it seems so weird to get on a plane without any tests? Have I missed something? Any advice gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WASHOUT, Terminal 5 - at least that’s what my flight for 15th Feb says.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WASHOUT wrote:
What terminal is the BA flight out of Heathrow for Vancouver (used to be T2 pre covid)?

BA LHR to YVR was T5 last month (I thought all BA intl flights were T5)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@britsound, I came back this week Kelowna-Vancouver Vancouver-LHR - no tests (save Day 2 on return and from 11/2 you won’t even need to donthat…)
Covid rules subject to change, of course Eh oh!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Used to be T3, currently T5
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WASHOUT wrote:
What terminal is the BA flight out of Heathrow for Vancouver (used to be T2 pre covid)?

I was on flight BA0085 from yesterday (Saturday) and that was from Terminal 5, which I believe is where all BA flights are indeed from.

I dropped off both my items of checked luggage slightly over 3 hours before departure (they opened it early) and upon arrival at YVR, received a text to say one of my bags hadn't made it. Information desk couldn't tell me which one, but was surprised to find it wasn't my board bag, but my suitcase.

I was far from the only person who had this happen to them, which I found strange as plane definitely wasn't full. Have been told they don't have a flight today, so I won't be getting it before Monday at the earliest.

Glad I split my clothes and contact lenses between both bags. And that I cable-tied my bag's zips shut because two suitcases came out open at baggage reclaim.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 6-02-22 15:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And if anyone could explain to me what the first QR code that they wanted us to scan after disembarking was, because in my case it definitely wasn't ArriveCAN, that would be much appreciated Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jebroni3_16 wrote:
... upon arrival at YVR, received a text to say one of my bags hadn't made it. ...
I was far from the only person who had this happen to them
...And that I cable-tied my bag's zips shut because two suitcases came out open at baggage reclaim.
Sorry to hear that, but as per the thread about why crazy people like me carry my boots in the cabin... it happens if you fly enough.
I'd take their excuses with a pinch of salt, but if they know where your stuff is then that's not as bad as it could be.

Cable-ties ... security people may well clip those anyway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funnily enough, that's why I took my Anon M3 magnetic goggles and four lenses with me in my carry-on (and my helmet so I knew it wasn't getting chucked around)

I know security are permitted to open checked luggage and in the US, I've had them pop the card in the bag to let me know it's happened. But this way, if there's no card, but it's open, I can be pretty sure it's been done deliberately.

I actually wish they'd failed to send my board bag rather than my suitcase. Firstly because the one thing I failed to split across the two bags was food for quarantining today (at least)

Secondly because at least I'd have got a day's free hire of a board etc
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jebroni3_16 wrote:
And if anyone could explain to me what the first QR code that they wanted us to scan after disembarking was, because in my case it definitely wasn't ArriveCAN, that would be much appreciated Puzzled

At the Kiosk? It's something they're trialling (actually trying to return to) where you can pre-answer most of the kiosk questionnaire to speed up the arrivals process. Currently you can only access that through the Arrivecan web page, not the mobile app
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saintsman wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:

At the Kiosk? It's something they're trialling (actually trying to return to) where you can pre-answer most of the kiosk questionnaire to speed up the arrivals process. Currently you can only access that through the Arrivecan web page, not the mobile app

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks.

I saw some signs about ArriveCAN but those machines were possibly cordoned off.

As far as I can tell them, my ArriveCAN efforts were a complete waste of time then and my hopes of avoiding testing having been allocated the immunised "I" category (presumably wrongly because I've never had a positive test) were scuppered by that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Saintsman wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks.

I saw some signs about ArriveCAN but those machines were possibly cordoned off.

As far as I can tell them, my ArriveCAN efforts were a complete waste of time then and my hopes of avoiding testing having been allocated the immunised "I" category (presumably wrongly because I've never had a positive test) were scuppered by that.

Your Arrivecan receipt letter has nothing to do with getting tested.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saintsman wrote:
Your Arrivecan receipt letter has nothing to do with getting tested.

I've got the ArriveCAN Receipt email in front of me (printed off) and directly below the Receipt Reference Code and QR code, it has the following:

Traveller(s) 1

Discretionary/optional travel by fully vaccinated foreign national(s)

[MY FULL NAME]
[MY REFERENCE CODE]-1

I Immunized

I may have misunderstood the discussion during this thread, but I was pretty sure that's where the I, V, and A codes would be and my email seems to support that.

I thought that's what they then theoretically based the testing selection process on
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No-one is 100% sure what the IVA codes mean, but the working theory is that it's to do with how your docs are uploaded and whether they've been automatically verified or whether a further verification is needed

Both my wife and I were boosted, had caught COVID in the 10-180 day exemption window etc. I completed the Arrivecan for both of us identically (bar the specific I'd etc). She was I (Immunised), I got V (Vaccinated). Neither of us was selected for testing

Loads of online references of people with I getting tested and V not.

Testing is theoretically 100% bar exempted categories, but some airports (Calgary) are well below that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good with the luggage! When they lost ours it turned up eventually! 1 lot went via Russia took 4 days 1lot just got left behind and some went who knows were. It all arrived but very late!
Ski boots and mojo in hand luggage now!
snow report
Ahhh, I see. Got what you meant now, @Saintsman

And thank you @joneski, but as I had checked a board bag too, and split some clothes across the two bags (a fact I clearly failed to expressly clarify before in my tiredness in this and the insurance thread), there's not an awful lot I'm having to do without at the moment.

BA implied they had the suitcase, but the details online suggest otherwise. I guess I'll have a better idea tomorrow.
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
No-one is 100% sure what the IVA codes mean, but the working theory is that it's to do with how your docs are uploaded and whether they've been automatically verified or whether a further verification is needed

Both my wife and I were boosted, had caught COVID in the 10-180 day exemption window etc. I completed the Arrivecan for both of us identically (bar the specific I'd etc). She was I (Immunised), I got V (Vaccinated). Neither of us was selected for testing

Loads of online references of people with I getting tested and V not.

Testing is theoretically 100% bar exempted categories, but some airports (Calgary) are well below that.

Usa citizen/resident here. I just returned from YVR and was not selected for arrival testing. I’m supposed to go to Revy/KHMR in a month but contacts there indicate Calgary is testing more than YVR. Every report on this board contradicts that. Who knows what things will be like in a month, but I am a little leary of the arrival testing, so I am considering Verbier instead. Ease of travel to Switzerland verses probably better snow in Canada. The USA and Canada seem to be slow to revise their policies to match the current state of COVID.
ski holidays
If you're flying in from the USA then it's completely different. As long as you haven't been to a country other than the USA or Canada then it's random testing (genuinely random and low %) with no quarantine/isolation requirement while waiting for the results. Effectively the rules that were in place for everyone pre-Omicron
ski holidays
Got my arrival result (negative) back at 4pm having been tested last night just after quarter past 8.

Very happy with LifeLabs right now Smile

Trying to get padded shorts in Whistler... not quite as simple as I'd have hoped or expected. Managed it eventually.
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, If you get a chance can you let us know what the apres is like this week...

Anyone got a suggested venue for the Super Bowl on Sunday in the town??
snow report
Everywhere will show the bowl, but you'll want to book a table
latest report
Everywhere will show the bowl, but you'll want to book a table
latest report
If anyone is interested, we landed at Vancouver on Saturday evening, 4 people, all tested on arrival. Results took:
Two tests - 17 hours
Third test - 20 hours
Fourth test - 26 hours

Off skiing now! Very Happy
ski holidays
ArriveCAN done (I for me, V for Mrs n as she's tested +ve in the last 180 days) and receipts printed off.

Have my clean PCR result, all our vax records, Mrs n's recovery record and Miss n's positive test result from last month.

Got my Switch registration page printed off just in case. Two eSIMs purchased.

Off to Calagry on Thursday. Fingers crossed for a smooth journey snowHead

Thanks for all the advice, especially @Saintsman, it's been a great help.
snow report
Becki wrote:
If anyone is interested, we landed at Vancouver on Saturday evening, 4 people, all tested on arrival. Results took:
Two tests - 17 hours
Third test - 20 hours
Fourth test - 26 hours

Off skiing now! Very Happy

Great intel - reassuring it's only first day you miss and given I'm planning on spending it driving then I wouldn't miss any days really. Of course the big BUT is if I test positive on arrival I have a long drive to spend 14 days in a hotel room then a long drive back to fly home rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Great intel - reassuring it's only first day you miss and given I'm planning on spending it driving then I wouldn't miss any days really. Of course the big BUT is if I test positive on arrival I have a long drive to spend 14 days in a hotel room then a long drive back to fly home

I'm not sure where you're going but this article is saying only 5 days isolation in BC for fully vaccinated people who test positive.

[url=]https://globalnews.ca/news/8590971/federal-government-reviewing-border-measures-as-omicron-wave-eases/[/url]
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
... the big BUT is if I test positive on arrival I have a long drive to spend 14 days in a hotel room then a long drive back to fly home rolling eyes
To me that's the major risk - an expensive and boring hotel stay - now that the severity of the thing is unlikely to result in hospital treatment. There's also any extra cost from car hire, assuming you can't get rid of that whilst in quarantine.

I don't think anyone here has yet tested positive on arrival, unless I missed it. Which is interesting.
snow conditions
@cheltom, That seems to be for BC residents not incoming travellers - this is the current gov canada extract

Quote:

If you are selected for a mandatory arrival test, you:

must take the arrival test as directed on the day you enter Canada. The test may be administered at the airport or you may receive a self-swab kit at the airport or land border to complete within 24 hours after entering Canada
can take connecting flights to your place of quarantine
must quarantine in a suitable place while you await the arrival test result
aren’t required to pay a fee for the arrival test
may leave quarantine when you get a negative arrival test result. If the test result is positive you must isolate for a further 10 days
your isolation period begins the date you completed the arrival test, if the date is validated by the test provider or the date of the test result

So I might be overegging it a bit at 14 days but conceivably it could be 2 days to get your test result plus 10. Bummer on an expensive holdiay when you've already proved you are clean in order to be able to fly in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philwig, Going for a PCR today as a roll of the dice. Actually hoping I test positive as my embargo period would then end before I fly to Canada and then I'll be exempt from arrival testing. Seems a weird thing to wish on oneself but it just shows the state of trying to best risk manage.

My additional plan is effectively isolsate from a few days before pre-departure PCR then if the only place I can effectively catch it is at the airport or on plane it won't have time to incubate prior to arrival test.
snow report
<laughs> well I suppose trading a 4-day quarantine at home for a 10-day one in a relatively expensive location would be a reasonable choice.

We know UK rules relax shortly, and I'd expect Canadian ones to follow suit sooner or later.
I have a couple of weeks before my next trip.

My 1st trip of the season was re-planned in YVR because my destination "caught Covid".
They've subsequently put better control measures in place, perhaps finding it easier to get truculent
people to follow protocol now they know that the alternative is that none of us can play.
ski holidays
@philwig, yeah it's a matter of having the luxury of the "later" when you're sitting on a defined booking having sorta gambled that they would see sense on the pointlessness of expensively testing most international tourists (in addition to their pre departure tests) when Omicron is endemic anyway.
ski holidays
Quote:

@cheltom, That seems to be for BC residents not incoming travellers - this is the current gov canada extract

Quote:

If you are selected for a mandatory arrival test, you:

must take the arrival test as directed on the day you enter Canada. The test may be administered at the airport or you may receive a self-swab kit at the airport or land border to complete within 24 hours after entering Canada
can take connecting flights to your place of quarantine
must quarantine in a suitable place while you await the arrival test result
aren’t required to pay a fee for the arrival test
may leave quarantine when you get a negative arrival test result. If the test result is positive you must isolate for a further 10 days
your isolation period begins the date you completed the arrival test, if the date is validated by the test provider or the date of the test result

So I might be overegging it a bit at 14 days but conceivably it could be 2 days to get your test result plus 10. Bummer on an expensive holdiay when you've already proved you are clean in order to be able to fly in.

Ah fair enough.

I'm also going for a PCR test today - would be great to test positive with 11 days to go before I fly. Seems unlikely but I also don't want to be one of the group of people that seem to be able to return a positive result for weeks and months and not find out until my pre flight test.

I guess I've been expecting the rules to change before I fly but it's getting pretty close now!
ski holidays
does anyone know re testing positive 10 days before travel (ie proof of recovery) if its 10 days from the day the test was taken or from the day the result was received.
Due to fly on 21/2 and toying with idea of getting a PCR today/tomorrow....
snow conditions
Based on date of test
ski holidays
thanks Saintsman-you really do know all the answers!
latest report
Knee Deep wrote:
does anyone know re testing positive 10 days before travel (ie proof of recovery) if its 10 days from the day the test was taken or from the day the result was received.
Due to fly on 21/2 and toying with idea of getting a PCR today/tomorrow....

Canada gov gives example if you take PCR on 1st of month then first day you can fly is 11th.
snow report
dazman wrote:
@jebroni3_16, If you get a chance can you let us know what the apres is like this week...

I would if I could, but I'm really not one for apres I'm afraid, and have spent the last two evenings trying to sort stuff as temporary, possibly permanent, replacement for my luggage which still hasn't arrived yet.

There are bars open, music playing loudly, and plenty of people around trying to make sure other people know how fun they are and how much fun they're having if that helps?!
snow report
Just had an email from Government of Canada saying that I am (was) supposed to report my arrival at place of quarantine within 48 hours of arriving in Canada. I obviously failed to do this!

I've got my negative arrival test result, but just making others aware of another thing you're "required" to do... unless you forget like me.
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, How are you supposed to report it - through the ArriveCan app?
latest report
Whistler tip of the day...

Head to one of the main lodges early one day(pre-11). When you get your COVID pass and ID checked, ask to get the sticker. They scan your pass and apply a green sticker to it. After that, no need to carry ID or worry about your COVID pass and have them spend time comparing - just wave your ski pass with green sticker and they wave you through all the on-mountain lodges and restaurants
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy