Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Canada

Poster: A snowHead
According to BC rules for us foreigners it's supposed to be passport (they say the document used to enter Canada). In practise I've been using my UK drivers license without issue
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Saintsman, ok good to know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@VolklAttivaS5, ya driver's license not been an issue for me in the 2 plus weeks I've been here
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, yes they do , im the same not gonna risk losing my passport , do carry my DL at all times , just the I phone photo avoids having to get multiple things out at once , no one has questioned it yet
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dabber, ok thanks, yes my passport is already well worn I don’t want it in and out of a pocket a zillion times a day it can stay locked up in the hotel room safe.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a photo driving licence which expired last year which I'll take as well - if that works the first time I'll stick to that and if it gets lost it's not a problem!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Returned from whistler on Thursday tested positive on Friday for covid19
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, we've always just used photo driving licence for ID purposes - passport often left in the vehicle/ hotel room. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colian wrote:
Returned from whistler on Thursday tested positive on Friday for covid19

Result - you got your hol and still got out!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
narbs wrote:
I have a photo driving licence which expired last year which I'll take as well - if that works the first time I'll stick to that and if it gets lost it's not a problem!

Most places really check - this is not a cursory quick glance that you might expect. It's taken very seriously, which surprised me
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:

Most places really check - this is not a cursory quick glance that you might expect. It's taken very seriously, which surprised me
yes we had photo copies of passport and driving licence but some places required originals so binned the photo copies and driving license was accepted everywhere with NHS vaccination app
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Saintsman, defo taken seriously , but no one is checking the expiry date on your DL , and out of interest where didn't accept iPhone photo and demanded original ??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Longhorn twice, and one other place in town
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EU Vax passport and Irish DL ok ??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, will be fine
ski holidays
Saintsman wrote:
narbs wrote:

Cheers - will definitely have the current one, and will take my passport on day one.
snow conditions
Saintsman wrote:
Longhorn twice, and one other place in town
ha ha longhorn probably the only establishment I didn't frequent snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah, well it and Blacks have both gone downhill in the last few years. Too much style over substance
snow conditions
Bit of a ski report from Canada. Flew from Toronto to Calgary and some friends flew in from the UK via Vancouver. (all vaccinated some with recent covid so no need for tests on arrival and some with tests on arrival that were back in 24 hours.)

We stayed just outside of Panorama BC. Last snowfall about 3 days before we arrived. A friend and I went to Kicking Horse and Revelstoke.

Panorama: quiet as on the weekdays and gets busy (think quiet weeks France) at weekends. There were times we skied for 5 - 10 minutes and didn’t see anyone else. Snow was excellent and there are some excellent tracks to be had with a short hike from the summit.

Kicking Horse: Now Im not unfamiliar or averse to steep but Be Nice please! me, some of the drop ins were crazy steep. Thankfully recent fresh snow but I had one big 20 - 30m slide (sorry cant be more precise as was too busy trying to stop!) We did a small hike, found some ropes and then chickened out and did an “easier” route with a sketchy drop in!

Revelstoke: Also steep but not at KH level. We hiked from the top of the mountain to the North Bowl which had amazing snow. I loved the initial drop in so much that I left my skis some 10-20 meters along the initial drop and had to climb back up to get them. We also skied a double black diamond called ‘Kill The Banker’ or ‘Save The Banker’ which has got to be the hardest run of my life. Icy, rocks, tree stumps…the works. I have never side slipped anything this much, ever, not even when I was a newb. Mate (lifelong skier) felt similar and was gobsmacked it can even be categorized as a run!

All in all a great trip. Where we skied the standard of skiers was pretty high and there were old geezers dropping into steep stuff in the way a fat kid hits the biscuit aisle at the supermarket. Mountain food was ok from a French alps viewpoint but not a patch on Italy. We purchased daily lift passes so it worked out expensive from that respect. Equipment hire was about the same. OH didn’t love the fact that we had a lot of faff getting to the mountain every morning.

Would I go again? Probably yes. But maybe stick to some smaller resorts as snow is way better. We didn’t get fresh tracks anywhere, either live in the mountain or go to Japan if you want that everyday.
latest report
Rishie, Sounds like you had a good time, told you Kill The Banker was fun Toofy Grin

For the snow and fresh tracks go later - first time we did it, we never saw the sun after the first day of a 2+ week trip, fresh snow each place we skied Madeye-Smiley
Deals can be had , even for a day or so in each place, on tickets - you just need to plan Madeye-Smiley
snow report
So we arrived on AC851 from LHR to Calgary. Airport pretty quiet. you need to use self service kiosk to scan you passport and and answer some covid related questions and how long your staying for. It prints out another slip with photo of you which you take to immigration. Then the odd bit for us... we heard the officials say to other folks in front and to the side of us that they had been selected for testing and we walked away to collect our luggage with relief and high sprits.

Once we collected our bags we came up a short ramp where someone was taking the slip that was printed out from us and directing us either side of barrier tape out the exit. Well ours turned out to be the testing queue. It felt like we been cheated by the kiddie catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! Once tested they said 72 hours for the results!!

I spend the 2 hour bus trip to Banff quietly fuming. We arrived with snowfalling and thick snow on the roads. The drive announced our arrival to Banff by saying how epic the snow will be tomorrow. On the bus were 2 other British couples who asked him advice of where best to go in the morning so presumably some people are lucky enough to pass through.

Its a waiting game now for us. Just hope there's some pow stashes left
snow report
@eat>sleep>ride>r, let us know how long it actually takes to get the result back. They probably say 72 hours to cover the worst case scenario.
snow conditions
Folks, for ArriveCAN....where do you upload your recovery cert??
ski holidays
@dazman, this is what @Saintsman advised me:

Saintsman wrote:
There's nowhere to upload your positive proof in Arrivecan.

In Arrivecan you tick a box indicating that you've had COVID and will be traveling unde nthat method rather than a 72 hour test. You upload your Vax certificates.

At the airport checkin, they ask to see your Arrivecan receipt and will then ask for your 72 hour test. You tell them you're using a positive test result, hand that over together with your NHS email (we printed and laminated both along with lots of other docs to be sure).

That's it.

On arrival, if everything has hooked together correctly you will automatically bypass arrivals testing and be on your way
ski holidays
I thought you still needed a negative PCR less than 72 hours old to enter Canada even if you did have a positive PCR 15-180 days ago (i.e. had Covid recently and recovered from it) ?
They still want you to be negative on entry I thought (?) but having Covid and recovered recently means you are exempt from being selected for the arrival test which is the one you need to stay in for and wait for the result.
Also recently they changed the Covid positive PCR to 10 days to 180 days ago instead of 15 days to 180 days ago.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I thought you still needed a negative PCR less than 72 hours old to enter Canada even if you did have a positive PCR 15-180 days ago (i.e. had Covid recently and recovered from it) ?
They still want you to be negative on entry I thought (?) but having Covid and recovered recently means you are exempt from being selected for the arrival test which is the one you need to stay in for and wait for the result.
Also recently they changed the Covid positive PCR to 10 days to 180 days ago instead of 15 days to 180 days ago.

So did I ???
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I don't think so, because the residual antibodies following Covid mean you can test +ve for a while after you stop being infectious (hence the ten day rule). So you present your proof of Covid test and your vax certificates instead.

From Canada's website:
'If you are now symptom-free, you can provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular test when crossing the border, instead of a negative one.'

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing
snow report
@dazman, I’m sure you do I only looked at it a couple of days ago as I’ve got an absolutely stinking ‘cold’ at the moment so I’ve done a PCR to see if it’s Covid. If it comes out positive then that’s my arrival testing knocked on the head! There are some perks…
I don’t think I have it as all my lateral flows have been negative for days but I needed to do the PCR as symptomatic.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@narbs, oh I see yes that would make sense actually. I will look again to see where I’ve gone wrong.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, @dazman, my daughter tested positive a couple of weeks ago so I checked with the Consulate. THis is what they sent me:

'If you have been infected with COVID-19, but have since recovered and are no longer infectious you will be allowed to board a plane to Canada with proof of a positive COVID-19 test (which meets the requirements here) conducted on a specimen collected between 10 –180 days prior to departure. This is in lieu of providing a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of departure.'
latest report
@narbs, yes you are definitely right.
I think it must have been this that made me think you still had to submit a negative one.

“Positive results on your pre-entry test
A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada”

I’d be paranoid about being asked for the test even though I was travelling on the ‘recovered’ route but I guess it’s no use to anyone if it’s still showing as positive anyway!
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I'm now within the ten day window so locking myself in the bathroom Laughing
ski holidays
@narbs, Laughing I know it’s a worry isn’t it! 6 people at my work have had it in the last week so I was thinking oh surely this ‘cold’ is it then too! But it seems not!! If it was it would work out better for me reference the ‘testing positive the day before you go’ concern or the arrival testing going the wrong way.
At least with Ski Big 3 they let you amend it a few days before or try and help you out and the Air Canada flight is refundable in terms of a flight credit.
There doesn’t seem to be any signs of the rules being relaxed yet either, I was hoping they would be before my travel date came around considering all the political considerations where the Canadians themselves don’t have enough tests!!
snow report
Quote:

We didn’t get fresh tracks anywhere, either live in the mountain or go to Japan if you want that everyday.

A lot of people overestimate how much snow the Rockies get. Living in golden I'd consider 10 inbound "proper" powder days (20cm+ overnight, never touching the bottom) a truly exceptional season. Normal is around 5-7 per season IME. So the idea that you can turn up on a short trip and will be skiing completely fresh tracks all day is very unrealistic. Just like we'd laugh at a Canadian thinking they were going to turn up in Chamonix for a few days and get unlimited fresh tracks. Of course get into the slackcountry or head to Rodgers pass and you can have pretty much unlimited fresh tracks, but no lift service.

I suspect kicking horse has been particularly bad as a lot of resort has been closed - ozone for FWT, T1 south for wrangle the chute, I'm guessing they had either Compton's or Marley's closed for juniors too. So not surprising things are tracked out.
snow report
@boarder2020, I saw on Lake Louise’s FB page that they’d had the most snow this season so far since 1955 or something?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@narbs, yes you are definitely right.
I think it must have been this that made me think you still had to submit a negative one.

“Positive results on your pre-entry test
A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada”

I’d be paranoid about being asked for the test even though I was travelling on the ‘recovered’ route but I guess it’s no use to anyone if it’s still showing as positive anyway!

We're going next Thursday.....I had covid over Christmas and have no real proof of infection, I've a copy of the test booking and and then a text from the HSE the day after telling me I had it!
I've got an EU recovery cert but I'm lead to believe they're only interested in infection!
So I'm gonna get a PCR test done in Dublin anyway, print out everything I've got and hope for the best.
snow report
What do men and ski resorts all have in common. All of them lie about 8" snowHead I take resorts Facebook with a pinch of salt. They often put their snow measurement spot in a favourable position and make the stats fit their narrative. For example 10cm snow sounds great, but if it falls during the day then it's all getting tracked out anyway. 60cm over a month sounds great, but if it's all 1-2cm days rather than big dumps probably not fantastic skiing.

I'm just saying from my personal experience from other seasons big powder days are a rarity. However, I've seen a lot of tourists head out with unrealistic expectations that they are going to have pretty much unlimited powder days, which is just not the case (unless you get extremely lucky).

Of course Whistler gets way more big dumps due to the coastal weather. You are welcome to argue about snow quality and lift lines snowHead
latest report
Powder days as a tourist booked in any way in advance are always a matter of luck. The only way you can stack the deck in your favour is go in statistically better months for snowfall and to go for an extended period of time i.e. 2 weeks better than 1, 3 even better.
snow report
@eat>sleep>ride>r,

Interested to hear your updates as we’re heading LHR-YYC on the 10th.
Did you get a grilling on your ‘quarantine plan’ at immigration?
ski holidays
@robcarrie, no grilling just fill in the self service terminal. Immigration staff just asked purposes of trip. End of the day tourism is an industry.
Think it’s the cabin fever that’s gonna kill me Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy