Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st Young Family trip to La Plagne - Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post on here for donkeys years after more than a few years in the wilderness (I wish) having kids and thus being sadly away from the slopes.

Thanks to all the info on this forum, me and the wife finally crossed our fingers and took the plunge at the weekend to book our first ski trip with the children (11,9 and 6) to La Plagne at the end of March.

We're booked an 6-8 person apartment (2 bedroom, thinking this will give us a bit more space) in Les Hauts Bois (P&V) in Aime 2000. Despite being lucky enough to experience the privileges of Catered Chalet holidays pre-kids, we've had to go self catering which is totally new to me and was wondering if anybody had any experience of La Plagne / Aime 2000 with kids who have never skied before.

I'm excited as I've dreamed since we had the children to get them on skis just like my mum and dad did but I'm weirdly nervous, don't want to mess it up and put them off for life!!!!!

Any tips from experience with children who are complete beginners and / or the facilities / pitfalls of Aime 2000 would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dom
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dom4106, The only problem I can think of is sunburn. The sun is fierce at altitude. I'm sure you will be able to cook and manage shopping just as well in an apartment as you can at home, but I do reccommend taking a sharp knive with you. Those in rental apartments tend to be blunt.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dom4106, Welcome back. The key question we answered with our 3 when they were young, is do we (Mum and Dad) want a Ski holiday, or a holiday with some skiing? For Mum, it was definately the former and that meant not supervising our own children during the day. Have a look at Oxygene Ski in La Plagne, they offer 6 full days of tuition and also all the add ons like Ski Hire, storage and the Lunch Club. You'll thank me afterwards.

If you actually like your children and think you want to ski as a family then I still recommend you book morning lessons plus the lunch club. That means you and Mrs Dom at least get to have a nice lunch (which she's not cooking!) and then you can ski with the kids after 14.30. https://www.oxygene.ski/product/la-plagne-children-group-ski-lessons-full-day/

You didn't say if you're driving down but if you are, plan 2 pot menus in advance and pack in whatever you can, better still, take your slow cooker! Alternatively,stop in Albertville to stock up before going up the Mountain. If you have a "TV Firestick" take that too. Finally, as with any holiday, take twice the money, half the clothes and stick to the Merlot.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 29-11-21 18:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski locker at the ski school meeting place. Or you'll end up being a mule all week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnE Thanks, definitely wouldn't have thought about the knife!

@RedandWhiteFlachau, I emailed Oxygene on Sunday after hearing good things about them versus ESF, they came back straightaway so I reckon we'l go with them. Initially we've discussed just the morning lessons but the meal included could be a good option. I think the full day idea all depends on whether they enjoy being in the group they're in - if so, we might leave them in for the first half of the week maybe.

Great shout re: the fire stick - we're flying so space is a premium and food shopping / restaurant meals will all be reliant on whats available in resort.

@Csb123 - again, wouldn't've thought of the locker option - I'll have to find out where they are in Plagne Centre (that's where they'll be doing lessons with Oxygene).

Cheers everyone.
Dom
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dom4106, sounds great and you'll have a fantastic time! Personally, I think self-catering works much better with families as it gives you more space so the kids can do their own thing - it turns into a little home from home. Try and find out how good the wifi is - I tend to get a hippo wifi for the week to ensure good wifi, but that's just personal preference. Knowing they will have fast wifi allows us to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening in a bit of peace! I've not taken a firestick before (great shout) - but have an HDMI adaptor for my phone so the tv will mirror what's on my phone. I've downloaded movies onto my phone before going out, and then we have a family movie night a couple of times a week.

As mentioned, it can be very sunny - but as long as you suncream the kids up (and make sure they have a small tube of suncream and lip balm on them in their lessons) then you'll be fine. We tend to go higher and later, and have never had an issue. It just means you can take your jacket off and sit outside at lunch!

Having the kids in lessons in the morning is good, as it allows you a couple of hours to ski on your own. However, we tend to enjoy having lunch with them on the mountain (especially as we tend to eat-in in the evenings) - it's great family time to chat about what they did in their lesson etc. Skiing in lessons for a full day can be quite exhausting for the kids first time, and you don't want to put them off. Personally we do a couple of runs with them in the afternoon, but sometimes after that they want a snow ball fight, do a bit of sledging etc - the more flexible it is, the more they'll enjoy it, and then the more they'll want to ski.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 29-11-21 19:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne vet here (both as couple and then with 2 kids in tow). Haut Bois is a bit of a faff if the kids don't ski in our experience as you have to trek through the car park and up multiple lifts to access Aime 2000. If you're doing that, I would definitely suggest ESF at Aime 2000 rather than anything in Centre as you'll then be taking the cable-car down to Center for lessons. That is NOT a quick journey if you're in a rush and, as another poster said, you won't want to lug 5 sets of ski gear all that way. The Spar in Aime 2000 is absolutely fine for the basics although obviously if you can stock up in Albertville beforehand so much the better. Don't be put off by self-catering, we've always done it that way with kids and it's so much nicer in the evenings just being about to stretch out, watch a family film on the laptop etc.

FWIW, our kids have always done full day (not lunch) but we've only left them in for meals on the odd days we've fancied a trip over to Les Arcs and they've not complained! If they've not skiied before, it's probably a bit early to try the "ski as a family" thing but once our eldest was good enough (and before our youngest arrived) it was really nice to ski with him, even it was only for an hour or so over lunch.

Any specific questions, more than happy to help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know the geography of La Plagne, having only been once, years ago and without kids. But what @LondonHawk says makes a lot of sense. I've done plenty of holidays with kids and grandchildren since and having the easiest possibly journey between your accommodation and the ski school meeting place is perhaps the most important factor in the whole holiday! But your kids are old enough to learn to carry their own skis properly for a short distance (and they won't have poles, to start with) though you might help the 6 year old at first! If you're a mule, you're a mug!

Ski lessons are quite tiring when you start - even for kids. Morning lessons might be enough. We rarely did the "buy lunch on the mountain" thing because it's so expensive for a family, and restaurants can be very busy after lessons. If your accommodation is nearby when you pick them up, going back for them to get rid of all the clobber and slob out for a bit with some easy, familiar, lunch options, isn't a bad idea. Depends on your budget. If you can afford to buy everybody lunch in a nice, uncrowded place - go for it!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flippin 'eck, didn't expect so many helpful replies, thanks so much everyone.

@LondonHawk I did notice on web images and maps (only after we'd booked) that the Les Hauts Bois did look a bit of a trek up the road to the cable car. I'm hoping that Oxygene's free Mini bus pick up service in the morning will help out with that and if we can also sort lockers down near the ski school, that'll help prevent any lugging of kit about after skiing has finished.

I don't know why I'm preferring the idea of Oxygene to the nearer ESF school in 2000, I think I've got the impression that it's a bit military-like, not as good for young children and, I dunno, its just a daft hunch which could easily be turned round with any good experiences people have to share... and I've heard good things about Oxygene.

I'm also assuming there'll be better supermarket facilities in Plagne Centre which we can take advantage of at the end of the day before heading back up to 2000 if need be?

Thanks for all your helpful advice and suggestions.

Amazing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I don't know why I'm preferring the idea of Oxygene to the nearer ESF school in 2000, I think I've got the impression that it's a bit military-like, not as good for young children and, I dunno, its just a daft hunch which could easily be turned round with any good experiences people have to share... and I've heard good things about Oxygene.

Certainly not the case in our experience (we've been with them from 36 months because they had the Garderie attached.) but have also heard good things about Oxygene

Quote:
I'm also assuming there'll be better supermarket facilities in Plagne Centre which we can take advantage of at the end of the day before heading back up to 2000 if need be?

Not particularly. Similar sized Spar and a couple of (very) small independents. Nice boulangerie in Centre though Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Not particularly. Similar sized Spar and a couple of (very) small independents.

Ah. Wasn't expecting that. With no car we're not going to be able venture very far for groceries in the week, so unless the Spar on site is adequate it'll be restaurants all the way!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You will have a brilliant time! We have skied in la plagne for many years . Morning lessons sound good but the children may be a bit wet and tired by the end so an easy return to base (or somewhere they can relax a bit ) is good . Do some skiing with them in the afternoons until the rubber legs (yours or theirs ) appear . Find some easy runs near your accommodation- very early on you might find the one under the le France building at plagne centre nice and easy ( possibly get to this by lifts initially until the kids can ski down. If they can ski down then they will find the green too easy ) . There is a fairly busy and steep bit down from the top of the Becoin lift though which might initially be worth avoiding . The runs at aime that might be worth looking at would be the blues around the golf chairlift but check them out when you are skiing alone . Once the kids are more confident and you have time - the blues down through the trees to montalbert are fun as they have lots of creepy models of witches and trolls (complete with sound effects ). It’s a long way down though for little legs so try it out by yourselves first to judge whether the kids are ready for it . Also check out that the Envers chair is working as this is a vital new lift for the return which has needed a fist bit of repair work . I would avoid cournegodoille if you can ( probably spelt wrong ) though as the lower part can get icy just when the legs are getting tired and this might be off putting . That said , if Envers isn’t working you are stuck with it . If the children have had enough after their morning lesson or the weather is a bit iffy though , take the afternoon off and go for a lovely hot chocolate with cream on top (chocolate chantilly ) . This is often transformative .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
With some advance planning and taking crucial ingredients with you (and that sharp knife), you can do a lot of meals from what'll be available in the Spar. It'll be expensive, compared to your local Tesco, but not compared to going out! And the wine will be reasonable. Evenings in a ski apartment with small kids whacked out from the day's exertions are long - there'll be time to cook!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't want to be relying on a mini-bus to get three beginner kids to their first week of ski lessons. Getting three of them togged up and ready to go (then untogging at least one who needs a last minute wee) is sufficiently trying when the timing is entirely under your control.

Take at least two pairs of gloves/mittens for the kids.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I wouldn't want to be relying on a mini-bus to get three beginner kids to their first week of ski lessons. Getting three of them togged up and ready to go (then untogging at least one who needs a last minute wee) is sufficiently trying when the timing is entirely under your control.

OMG you've just painted a picture of every school morning in our house.

ESF has just gone back on the agenda.
latest report
FWIW I learned to ski through ESF group lessons from around your youngest kid's age (or maybe a bit younger?), and it worked fine for me (at least good enough to get me severely hooked Very Happy), so I wouldn't rule that out as an option if it's more convenient.

Other thoughts, and I'll admit to being biased about things depending on my own personal experience growing up.

Agree about the general comments that kids will get tired easily, so won't want to be skiing all afternoon. I would definitely lean towards making it more of a "mountain family holiday" rather than a "skiing holiday". It'll be worth it in the long run, and your kids will get great memories: some of my fondest memories of growing up are of my mountain holidays with parents and brothers, and I'm very much looking to build similar memories with my own son when he's a bit older.

Self-catering should be fine. The Spar will have enough to cover evening meals, although it will be quite expensive. You can think about taking some basics with you - oil, salt and pepper, spices, dishwasher tablets, and so on - stuff you don't want to have to buy on the mountain and end up leaving most of behind. I don't know what the possibilities in Aime 2000 are, but there might also be some kind of "traiteur" for a night or two.

Growing up, we always used to meet up and have family lunches in a restaurant at the base of the slopes. It was a great chance to go over what we'd been doing that morning. If your kids are happy in restaurants I'd go with that. It won't be cheap (although you should be able to find reasonably priced options), but then again, a family ski holiday won't be cheap anyhow, so...
ski holidays
Just remembered this place for lunch with kids. Cheap option in Belle Plagne and opposite the infirmary, which often provides entertainment! "Creperie Le Flocon".
ski holidays
Dom4106, agree with most of the advice so far.
Ski School. Always a tricky decision. From our observation, ESF classes tend to be far too large (we've counted 16!), and no fun if all the others speak French. I would go with Oxygene.
Definitely only lessons in the morning, and expect kids may not want to ski all afternoon. Think sledging, snowmen, walking around shops (hoping for muffins and/or ice cream).
Spa Shop. The shop in 2000 is quite adequate.
Suncream. Don't forget it. Make it part of morning routine (whatever the weather). Forget at your peril.
Put your kids first, and skiing second.
ski holidays
Quote:

Put your kids first, and skiing second

The whole process of kids learning to ski is one of the most enjoyable family activities - those of us who can afford it are fortunate. Our first holiday was two weeks self-catering in Austria, with kids aged 4, 11 and 13. We took hired skis from a shop in Ayr, a pressure cooker, lots of meal ingredients, and grandma. The complex had a creche, and an indoor/outdoor thermally-heated swimming pool. The entire family went into lessons, except the 4 year old, who was very hesitant, and stayed with grandma and went to the creche (entirely German speaking, which she didn't greatly enjoy!). Grandma cooked simple lunch for everybody after lessons. At the end of the week ski school medal-presentation ceremony the 4 year old decided she wanted to join in, so did ski school for the second week. The baby class had an instructor who only spoke German, which she found difficult ("German always sounds so CROSS, mummy!). So she moved up to a class with a teacher who spoke a bit of English, and enjoyed the faster pace. Her two big brothers watched proudly when she did her first run up the nursery drag lift and managed a wobbly snowploughed down to join the queue. We were all ecstatic. Sharing that process - the problems along with the triumphs - is irreplaceable. I can't imagine dumping kids in ski school in the morning and picking them up at the end of the day (still less having a "nanny" take them and pick them up!).

After some years they repay the time you've invested. "The snow on this run is pretty sketchy Mum. You might be happier if we took the lift down".
ski holidays
Quote:

I would definitely lean towards making it more of a "mountain family holiday"

...thats a great way to look at it. Love that. Definitely a better perspective, I'm having that if you don't mind!!!

Quote:

Cheap option in Belle Plagne and opposite the infirmary, which often provides entertainment! "Creperie Le Flocon".

Noted. Nice one.

Quote:

ESF classes tend to be far too large (we've counted 16!), and no fun if all the others speak French. I would go with Oxygene.

I think this kinda sums up my concerns really - although my concerns are just a hunch so its a bit unfair on ESF!!!!!!

Quote:

After some years they repay the time you've invested. "The snow on this run is pretty sketchy Mum. You might be happier if we took the lift down".

Superb, I'm praying for this in 10 years time!!!!

Thanks everyone, off to print this off!!!! Ha!
latest report
@Dom4106, Superb, I'm praying for this in 10 years time!!!!

It will be more like 3-4 years before they are faster and more stylish than the adults.
My bits of advice, buy a knife from Lidl that has a plastic sheaf, and make sure it goes in hold luggage, if you forget it, it’s only £3 lost, take small sachets of any spices/herbs you like, take a UK/ EUR plug adapter and an 4 gang extension lead ideally buy one with some USB ports on it for charging phones and tablets etc, high factor 30+ sun screen and lip salve, sunglasses or goggles for all, rucksacks for carrying food back, get the kids involved and make it an adventure, 5 rucksacks will hold a lot of food and drink! if the weathers nice, think about a picnic lunch one day.
As your self catering, you won’t need too many clothes if you eat in a few nights
The kids will love it, and if they want to play in the snow after lessons let them.
ski holidays
Self catering is never a real problem. You will find enough food to buy around (La Plagne is in France after all !).....
I do recommand to have your kids going to ski lessons all week long on mornings then take them on the slopes with you during the afternoons. They will be proud to show you how they are performing and this will be a great opportunity to take pictures and film them.
My daughter start skiing at 18 months, start ESF à 4 years and until now she's been at ESF only during mornings. She is 10 and this december she will for the 1st time attending a full day lessons with ESF at a Competition Camp.... We will have full days of ski just for my wife and myself !
latest report
Lots of good recommendations here already.

Mine is - get the kids skiing before you go. Ours started at 6 & 7 years old and we got them competent on skis at our local snow dome before we went. It meant they could get their own boots and skis on and didn’t waste time learning the basics. On the first day in resort they were flying down reds with us in the afternoon.

Our first trip we did morning lessons followed by lunch at ski school. That was the last we did that, as it just wasted time. Ever since they’ve done lessons 9am-11am and then skied with us for the rest of the time with us. Skiing together is the best part of the holiday for us, I couldn’t imagine putting them in school all day.

They are now 12 & 13 and still have lessons, but are now somewhat more adventurous, this season they’re doing a week off-piste with ski school.

Whatever you do you’ll have an amazing time.
snow conditions
We went against the grain and put the children in school all day, but did meet them for lunch. Ski school was 10-12, lunch 12-1 and afternoon ski school was 1-3. So they were only away from us for two hours at a time. They were 8 and 6 when we went. It's worth noting that Mr. Owlette and I were also beginners though so we had morning lessons and practiced in the afternoon. We were not confident to ski anything other than the nursery run with them, which we'd generally do between 3 and 4.
A lot of it will be down to the individual. Youngest was happy having one or two runs on the nursery slope after ski school but more interested in his hot chocolate and donut (tip: pick up from ski school holding food to throw straight at them), oldest was disgruntled when the nursery drag lift was turned off because he wanted to keep going.

We self-cater too. There's a lot to be said for slobbing in base layers with electronic devices whilst waiting for dinner.

Great tip about the Firestick! Using that one, though Mr. O and I usually play cards or read. I saw the 4 gang plug tip on Mumsnet years ago and have used it for every holiday since.

Have a fantastic time!
latest report
Lots of good advice and i used SH advice for our trips with the kids when they were learning.

Food directly after lessons is good advise, we shoved some chocolate and coke down them at pick up as there was definitely a drop off in excitement and energy!

Would add

Ski pass make sure its in a pocket with a zip and tell them never to open it! Add to same pocket your phone number. Lots of kids jackets have a zip pocket in the forearm. Probably worth the insurance extra incase it gets lost.

Get everything ready the night before, getting out takes twice as long and then add some more time to that. More clothes are better, its much better to be too hot and take a layer off than too cold. Bear in mind kids get cold quick when they stop so find a good hot chocolate place to stop.

Take snacks on slope. a bit of chocolate when kids need a pick up/bribery goes a long way.

An afternoon off mid week is a good idea, its tiring for them when learning so go the pool/ shopping etc as a break. i dont know la plagne but a lot of resorts include a free swim in a weeks pass.

Echo the comments on ski locker near slopes. I became an expert at carrying two sets of kids skis plus mine and a child at times when they were small and hated it.
Also, if you can get them a couple of lessons on slope. it really takes away that first learning time of getting familiar with the kit and snow. Will give them a good foundation.

Make sure when skiing with them especially if they are little that they know where you are going/who to follow and if they get lost go to a lift.

I would also say leave them to it when doing lessons, I made the massive mistake of trying to watch them and my youngest spotted me (only 5 at the time) and wouldn't go back to her lesson. Much better if you do want to see them is get to the ski school place early for meeting or ask the instructor where their last run is likely to be. They now dont want us to be there so not an issue!

Its great, one of the best things we do as a family. i really don't understand how/why people put their kids in lessons all day. They are missing out. Its amazing how quickly they progress. Kids have 0 fear and will be flying by the end of the week!
latest report
Take a good sized day pack! I couldn't believe the amount of extra stuff I had to carry when mine were little. Extra layers, lipsalve, tissues, spare goggles/glasses (something always got dropped off a chair lift), chocolate etc etc. We got ours camel backs so they always had water. I'd go for mittens over gloves and get ones that either clip onto their coats or with strings - they will lose them otherwise. We found with both ours that by day 3 or 4 we could enjoy skiing with them for a couple of hours after ski school. The first holiday is hard work and you may not ski as much as you would like, but you will reap the rewards in years to come. Before they had phones, I made up laminated cards with our phone numbers and accommodation on and put them in their pockets - we did misplace a 6yr old once as she followed someone in the same coloured jacket as me. Good Luck.
snow report
Just thought of another tip - bring loads of packets of Dextrose tablets with you from the uk. Literally like instant energy for the kids in the afternoon when energy levels drop. Much easier to carry around than chocolate or sweets.
latest report
Quote:

Kids have 0 fear

Not always true. Some are more hesitant to start with, and their anxiety about the slippy ski feeling is exacerbated by being away from parents with people in funny clothes who talk funny. I have helped shepherd 3 kids and 6 grandchildren through learning to ski and not all have been gung-ho. Two who were quite timid (one daughter and one grand-daughter) have become good skiers because they listened to the instructor, never rushed off, watched and copied, wanted to be perfect, were really quite anxious, quite a lot of the time, though they were very brave and never gave up. But they needed very careful handling to enjoy it - and the grand-daughter had one to one private lessons with a lovely instructor. The daughter spent the whole first week of a two-week ski holiday just watching and taking it all in. On the second Saturday I rented skis and boots for her and pulled her up and down a very gentle slope, did the "hands on knees" thing, and told her if she didn't wimp out and moan at me I'd pay for ski school for the following week for her. Absolutely no way would she have gone into group lessons with a German speaking instructor on the first day after a long and difficult (badly delayed) journey. She was 4 and when she joined the group she had learnt to say "Ich heisse Alex. Ich kann nicht Deutsch". We lived in Scotland at the time so she her pronunciation of "nicht" was spot on. You will know your own kids - they are not all fearless speed freaks.

There's always next year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy