Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski trip in Utah

Poster: A snowHead
I will go on my first skiing vacation trip first week of February, I'll stay in Sandy and will take the ski bus. I've just skied twice two years ago, took the lessons, learned the basics and really enjoyed it. This time I want to ski at least 4 days, build more confidence and improve, I looked up for resorts and found that small ski areas like Solitude or Brighton might work just great, I even saw there is a lift ticket in Brigthon limited to the learning areas.

My concern is that I might get bored with the same runs each day at Brighton. I'm wondering if it's best to stick with one ski resort or maybe try one more.

Any other useful tips in general for a beginner skier will be appreciated too! Blush

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nathan0607, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

You don’t mention how many days you have skied, and what standard you have reached? If you are still in the snowplough stage, I would have thought you would be concentrating more on making turns than your surroundings most of the time. It also depends on the learning area some are short flat slopes, whereas others are a lot more interesting.

This forum is mainly based in Europe, so local knowledge of the smaller resorts in Utah is probably limited, but since it’s Utah you won’t be short of resort choices, even if they are some distance apart (relative to Europe).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've commuted from SLC on the bus and would just take each of the local hills in sequence. These days my mates have a place in Sandy and membership at Snowbird so I'm mostly there. Anyway, my suggestion would be to start with wherever you like - Brighton is an excellent choice, but you could also check where the best snow us - and then if/ when you're bored/ done with that, try somewhere else. The main issue with the buses is that you can't leave the hill precisely when you want; you have of course to wait for the next bus, but the schedules are easy to find.

On the other hand... if you're looking for tuition, for continuity it may be best to stick with one hill/ instructor for that. From what I recall Brighton is more cruisy than Snowbird, so likely more useful for a learner.

As pointed out, this is a UK centric forum, so more local knowledge may be found more locally.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brighton is a good call. Plenty of mellow terrain. I'd pick it in a heartbeat over Snowbird or Alta for learning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Between Brighton and Solitude you should have a great time and you have chosen well. If you are a beginner you might find Alta and Snowbird a bit challenging for this trip. Keep an eye on the forecast. If you get a large snowfall think about visiting SLC or the amazing Air Force museum for the day as all the Wasatch resorts go crazy, even mid-week. Alternatively, make your way to Snowbasin on a powderday - probably the best of the SLC resorts - and despite the journey, you will get more skiing there in one day than standing in the queue at a Wasatch resort.

Don't be afraid of sticking out your thumb or just asking for a ride. The locals are super friendly especially to Brits, and most have pickups big enough for one or two more!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@22 dropout, Snowbasin apparently now pretty clogged on a powder day - combination of Epic pass and lots of people moving into Ogden.

Agree re Hill AFB museum really cool - even lent me a powered wheerchair when I limped in on crutches having broken my leg and was awaiting repat arrangements. Antelope Island is another good outing to see bison, old Mormon farmsteads and some funky geology.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nathan0607, Welcome to Snowheads, as others have mentioned, from your skiing experience so far, you should be fine at Solitude and Brighton . Brighton is more cruisy and easier - tends to be a family place and aimed at beginners from SLC. Not to say there isnt challenging stuff there too. Plenty of fun little runs in trees too.
Snowbird and Alta - more steeps but you should be fine there also, if you want a change.
Where about in Sandy are you staying, as this can affect time to get to skiing.

If just using the buses, Snowbasin will be a trek. Resorts will be busy on any day with fresh powder.

AS DOTM mentions Antlelope Island can be worth a visit - loved seeing Bison from about 30 ft Toofy Grin Although no idea how or if possible without a vehicle for you.

Have a great time where ever you decide to ski - cant go far wrong in the Cottonwoods Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
@nathan0607, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

You don’t mention how many days you have skied, and what standard you have reached? If you are still in the snowplough stage, I would have thought you would be concentrating more on making turns than your surroundings most of the time. It also depends on the learning area some are short flat slopes, whereas others are a lot more interesting.

This forum is mainly based in Europe, so local knowledge of the smaller resorts in Utah is probably limited, but since it’s Utah you won’t be short of resort choices, even if they are some distance apart (relative to Europe).

Thanks for your response. I've skied just 2 days, and that's correct I'm just in the snowplough stage, and yes also I did concentrate in making turns more than anything, so I just want to keep improving. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brighton/Solitude is definitely a good bet for you, and saves you some cash. For variety you could go to Snowbird, whose beginner section is well-separated from the rest of the place.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Brighton/Solitude is definitely a good bet for you, and saves you some cash. For variety you could go to Snowbird, whose beginner section is well-separated from the rest of the place.

Snowbird has a beginner section?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, yes, the Baby Thunder Family Area. It has its own lift, and there's a little restaurant down there as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've snowboarded a lot in Utah over the last 3 years (long winter work trips snowHead ) Brighton is a great choice and one of the cheapest in the area. You can get cheap tickets on Liftopia if you book in advance, also if you're passing by a Ken Garff dealership pop in and ask them for 2 for 1 ski ticket coupon for Brighton Night Skiing.

As a beginner I probably wouldn't recommend any of the other resorts in the region, with the exception of Sundance. Lovely day out there, it's more of a resort feel and great food options, very cheap also. The Nordic Centre is also up by Sundance if you wanted to try out something different like snow shoeing or cross-country skiing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all for your kind and helpful feedback, I really appreciate it. I'll stick with Brighton, both learning areas and full lift ticket, Any more tips for skiing 4 days straight? Is it tiring? @shredder thank you for those great tips also !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get some lessons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nathan0607 wrote:
Any other useful tips in general for a beginner skier will be appreciated too!

bruv ditch the skis and get on a snowboard you will be in da best place for it bruv its wicked ....aaaait!
snow report
@nathan0607, yes skiing is indeed tiring for beginners. The sport is sort of counterintuitive in that speed is your friend. But it doesn't feel that way to a beginner so they all spend enormous amounts of their energy on controlling their speed due to fear. This is normal, don't worry. Call it "paying your dues". Lessons can shorten this portion of the curve. You'll be able to do four days, but I'd predict you'll be sore on day two, beat on day three and kinda going through the motions on four--but by all means do it. Just re-checked your OP and you said "at least four". As long as you have the strength to have fun, the more reps the better.
snow conditions
I don’t know which Alta the previous posters went to but the one I’ve been to many times in Little Cottonwood Canyon has plenty of excellence beginner terrain.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy