Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Word of warning - check your kids passports!

Poster: A snowHead
As the title reads, sister in law due to go on the families first ever ski trip with her husband and their two kids for half term. The youngest’s passport has less than 2 months on it and they can’t get a new one in time for their flights, and destination won’t allow entry with short validity, looking likely they will cancel the whole trip and loose a significant chunk of change in the process!

Made me double check when ours expire Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LDP816, yup, a known issue and discussed here before. There is a thread about speed of passport renewals too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can they not use the fast track service at a passport office ? Had a similar issue and was able to turn around a new passport the next day, Admittedly had to drive to Durham and pay but we managed to get away
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vessigaud wrote:
Can they not use the fast track service at a passport office ? Had a similar issue and was able to turn around a new passport the next day, Admittedly had to drive to Durham and pay but we managed to get away

Apparently this doesn’t work for kids, they need a week?! I’m staying out of it, just thought it was good to remind people, seemingly it happens more than you think!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Vessigaud, you mean the “Online Premium” service - on the day issuance by appointment ? (What is called “Fast track” is a one week service). You can use “Fast track” for kids but Online Premium is for adults only.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
no disrespect to the OP's SIL, but seriously who leaves it to the week before travelling to check passport expiry? Since Brexit there has been plenty in the media about needing at least 3 month left on a passport to go pretty much everywhere except Bridlington.

I once had to go to Peterborough (I think) to do the one day thing a few years back when work sent me to Israel at short notice when I only had 5 months left to run on it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can do the fast track option for kids. I did it recently. You just can’t do it online, need to get a paper form from the Post Office. It is clearly explained on the Passport Office website, so no idea where their information is coming from. It is quite expensive to do the fast service and you need an appointment. Maybe either of those are the issue?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zikomo, if they are going at half term, then that will be this Fri/Sat departure ? (Our HT is this week) If they only just found out then the 1 week “Fast Track” will be no good to them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LDP816 wrote:
As the title reads, sister in law due to go on the families first ever ski trip with her husband and their two kids for half term. The youngest’s passport has less than 2 months on it and they can’t get a new one in time for their flights, and destination won’t allow entry with short validity, looking likely they will cancel the whole trip and loose a significant chunk of change in the process!

Made me double check when ours expire Laughing

Another #brexit bonus

Thank Ress-Mogg and the other plebs who voted for this
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some friends of mine just got dinged by this, coming from the US to here in France. To be honest, if you haven't traveled abroad much, you wouldn't even think of it.

So luckily they found out before they traveled, and can reschedule w/out losing too much money. I'm sympathetic to the OP's relatives.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Our neighbours managed to get a new passport for 15yr old by going to passport office took 3 days.
Cost a bit though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The six month thing has been pretty standard for lots of international travel for ever. Brits have got used to taking entry to Europe for granted. And then the English voted for Brexit. And now people are surprised that the same rules now apply to people from UK as from any other country to enter France. The French are not being abtuse or belligerent, merely moving UK from EU travel rules to those that apply to non-EU.

On this specific question there are options that do not seem to have been considered. Including paying to get an appointment and quick turnaround.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zikomo wrote:
Including paying to get an appointment and quick turnaround.

As mentioned before, this is not available for kids

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

@You’ll apply, pay and book an appointment online. The earliest you can get an appointment is 2 days from when you apply.

You’ll get your new passport at your appointment. Appointments can last up to 30 minutes.

It costs £177 (or £187 for a 50 page frequent traveller passport).

You can only use Online Premium to renew an adult passport that was issued after 31 December 2001.”
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, it's a bit of a minefield - probably more for adults if they have a passport with extra/leftover months added as goes against validity rules.

My son's passport ends start of Dec. We'll be in France Easter and mid/end of August. August trip should be fine but think I'll renew before we go to avoid any unnecessary stress.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We very nearly got caught by this in 2020.

[The passport was due to run out in Feb’21, I wasn’t disorganised].

I posted our daughter’s renewal with no mistakes on 1 November.

The passport arrived 7 weeks later, the day before we were due to travel.

There was literally no meaningful way to contact the Passport Office to chase or discuss an individual case.

DVLA and Passport Office have had a chaotic 23 months, it’s been covered on R4 and LBC amongst others. The vast majority of personnel now WFH and unlucky repeatedly fall prey to Covid.

My advice is get applications in at least 3 months ahead of when needed.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 15-02-22 20:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
t44tomo wrote:
no disrespect to the OP's SIL, but seriously who leaves it to the week before travelling to check passport expiry? Since Brexit there has been plenty in the media about needing at least 3 month left on a passport to go pretty much everywhere except Bridlington.

I once had to go to Peterborough (I think) to do the one day thing a few years back when work sent me to Israel at short notice when I only had 5 months left to run on it.

No offence taken, I believe it’s an oversight which could have easily been avoided, but also it is a human error which anyone could fall foul of!

I’m fairly meticulous about these things, I’m a firearms owner, so the implications of forgetting to renew that are a fair bit worse than missing a ski trip!
latest report
Quote:

My advice is get applications in at least 3 months ahead of when needed

Which is interesting as their website currently says 3 weeks for child renewal. But I've put in diary for way earlier. Shame as never used to have this hassle.
snow conditions
A friend once arrived at the airport with her daughter's passport expired completely. So it was off to Durham to get a rapid one (you could do that in those days), and a rebooked flight for the next day. Fortunately they were flying with EJ to a common destination, not long haul. Even in pre-Brexit days you needed one in date, even if by only one day.
snow report
I remember when you could get a one year cardboard passport at the post office in town.

I have our Irish passports running a couple of years after our UK ones to limit getting caught out like this.

Gutted for OP’s friends though- so disappointing
snow report
I renewed my passport 2 weeks ago - took 10 days from online app to passport in hand.
latest report
I renewed my passport 2 weeks ago - took 10 days from online app to passport in hand.
snow conditions
ski holidays
@orange, all three of them? Very Happy
snow report
Hope they didn’t multiply the fee too!!
ski holidays
You can renew a child passport in 1 week guaranteed.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Easy to find and easy to do. I did it recently. It costs quite a bit more but works well
latest report
Have they considered risking it in the tunnel? We got my nephew to France ( in back of car with 5 cousins) with an expired passport. Paperwork was barely looked at
snow report
No idea what happened there !
ski holidays
@trmacc, you have to pre-load the passenger info these days
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I missread the title of this thread ... Word of warning - check your kids passwords!
I dont think I'd like to check them.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@trmacc, you have to pre-load the passenger info these days

You do. My son managed without his passport but the API had already been completed, he'd just forgotten to bring it with him We waved a pile of passports at the nice frenchman through the window and he waved us on our way. Getting back he reported it missing to the Uk border control who took his details, but didn't cancel his passport as he fessed up to it still being on his bedside table at home.
ski holidays
Ha....this happened to us on a 3 week trip to Asia a few years back.

Arrived at Heathrow airport and we were told they wouldn't allow our daughter on the flight to Kuala Lumpur, as she had only 5 months left on her passport. They offered us Bangkok instead (rules are less strict for Thailand) and gave us about 20 mins to make our minds up. It was either going to Bangkok or cancelling the entire holiday - so we went to Bangkok.

Problem was that they weren't able to change our return flights from KL to Bangkok, so we knew we were going to struggle to get into Malaysia from Thailand for our flight home. The day before our flight home we tried to get from Krabi (Thailand) into Malaysia and again at the airport they refused her entry (even for 24 hours).

So I ended up going to Kuala Lumpur by myself (again the decision had to be made on the spot) in order to get the flight home as originally planned (and keep costs down), whilst daughter and wife flew to Bangkok in order to try and get back to the UK from there.

They managed to change the tickets (cost of £300) and were on a flight back home from Bangkok the next morning, at the same time as I flew from Kuala Lumpur.

As both flights were at the same time and both with Oman Air, it just so turned out that we were reunited in Muscat airport and did the last leg of journey home all together.
snow report
Pre-Brexit, this sort of hassle happened far more frequently than one would imagine.
I ended up faxing Border Force at LGW on one occaision to ask advice on what to do about a client's child whose passport was expiring during their holiday!
At another extreme was the family who went to check in at Bristol one day only to be refused because Little Johnny didn't have a passport - they thought that a photo countersigned by his school teacher would be sufficient. . . . . . . . .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy