Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Glenshee

Poster: A snowHead
Seems impossible to plan a driving route to Glenshee currently on viamichelin. Are the roads closed? Does anyone know if this is an ongoing problem as if I book for boxing day in somewhere like Braemar - it currently says you cannot drive to Glenshee.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Macker13, Are you serious with this question??? A very quick check on Traffic Scotland will show any road closures. And boxing day is a looong time away so current status would be irrelevant. And panicing because one rather obscure journey planner has a problem with the route seems daft in the extreme (Google Maps for example has no problem with the route).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I’m serious thank you for your rude reply.

Apple maps. Via Michelin and Waze all won’t calculate, there’s also a vague newspaper article that alludes to a long term closure due to a broken bridge

Not knowing the area, how dare I come on a skiing forum to discuss and ask someone who may know more than I do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I merely suggested that you do the barest of research first. I do live up here, but nevertheless it took me 10 seconds to check Traffic Scotland website. Another 10 seconds to check Google.

There was a problem at the Bridge of Cally, which is the other side of Glenshee from Braemar. As far as I know it is now open.

There may well be road closures on Boxing Day, no way of know that in advance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Macker13, I haven't used viamichelin for a long time, but sure enough it's not showing the usual route. Google however is.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Macker13 wrote:
Yes I’m serious thank you for your rude reply.

Apple maps. Via Michelin and Waze all won’t calculate, there’s also a vague newspaper article that alludes to a long term closure due to a broken bridge

Not knowing the area, how dare I come on a skiing forum to discuss and ask someone who may know more than I do.

Got a linky to the article, or name of the bridge?

Happy to check it out - FWIW if there was an issue it might already have been flagged up here due to local knowledge - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4863208#4863208

And it isnt.........
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only skied Scotland once. Tempted to change France for Scotland this Boxing Day. Was looking at staying at Moness Resort and skiing Glenshee. But route planners suggest a 4 hr detour to get there from Moness. Is this really going to be the case? If it’s snow gates I take it they’d clear the roads to get punters in by then.

This was the news article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59123109.amp
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Macker13, I live in Perthshire and can tell you there is a problem with a bridge but its not closed, there have been storms up here and Glenshee's internet connection is down but hopefully back up soon, the following links should help you but simply you need to head to Perth then follow the A93 to Blairgowrie then on towards Braemar. If there's heavy snow or ice the road could be closed especially overnight but if you are in Braemar the road could be clear towards Aberdeen.
https://trafficscotland.org/ best place to go for road problems
https://www.snowgatecameras.co.uk/ internet link down at the moment
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going to Scotland for a ski holiday is like going to Scotland for a sun bathing holiday on the beach. Technically it’s possible but its really silly to try
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tried that Via Michelin from Moness to Glenshee and it took me to somewhere north of Coylumbridge.

Methinks its got itself a wee bit mixed up.......................
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apple maps still thinks the snow gates are closed over glenshee (ie at Spittal, and also Braemar). If other route planners are similarly unrefreshed, then I can imagine some lengthy detours may be suggested…

In any case, @Macker13, see my comments in the other thread (general Scottish conditions 21-22 season) about coming to Scotland to ski Glenshee over the festive season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. Yes have seen the comments. Thinking of a walking holiday with bonus skiing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Going to Scotland for a ski holiday is like going to Scotland for a sun bathing holiday on the beach. Technically it’s possible but its really silly to try

Aye that's what the locals say to keep the wonderfullness to themselves!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Macker13 wrote:
Thanks all. Yes have seen the comments. Thinking of a walking holiday with bonus skiing

I wouldn’t be going up the hills in winter unless you’re fully proficient with map and compass in a white out and have done relevant winter skills courses (use of ice axe/crampons/self arrest/kicking steps etc).

It is most certainly not a stroll in the park.

Low level walking is a different ballgame.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Macker13, On ViaMichelin, if you click on 'traffic' and zoom into the A93, it is showing as Closed in the Glenshee area
latest report
Moness is a relatively common place name in the Highlands - hence potential Google Maps confusion?
snow report
Ionizingskin wrote:

Both ridiculously incorrect.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Ionizingskin wrote:

Both ridiculously incorrect.

its kinda not, you couldn't book a ski holiday in advance in Scotland with any certainty.
ski holidays
you couldn't book a ski holiday in advance anywhere with any certainty. FTFY
ski holidays
Quote:

wouldn’t be going up the hills in winter unless you’re fully proficient with map and compass

Unless you try you’ll never get any experience ?
snow report
First go uphill in summer, gain experience without the risk of hypothermia. Only once proficient, go uphill in winter. Inform your relatives you're going (where and when). And never go alone.
ski holidays
The dude was just asking if the road is open ! Yes, it is, i went to Braemar and back the other day. There was an issue where the bridge parapet was washed out at Bridge of Cally but resolved. Forecast for next 10 days is looking like some good snow landing. Some nice low level walking routes out of Braemar, LoD up to Bob Scotts etc all pretty tame but dress well, take extra gear and a map, compass and phone etc.
USe this link to check cameras, some are being fixed post Arwen https://www.snowgatecameras.co.uk/
ski holidays
scottishandy wrote:
you couldn't book a ski holiday in advance anywhere with any certainty. FTFY

some places stand more of a chance than others, I've nothing against Scotland and skied /tour'd there and will ski/tour there again but as a general holiday skier looking to book in advance it ain't a safe bet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy