Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, @ajc2260626, I hope you'll both find a couple of mins a day to keep us all updated. Please!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any news on whether single jabbed teens can enter France and ski?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They won't be classed as fully jabbed unless they have had full doses, or have recently recovered,
AND can additionally prove it with the BS QR coded certificate that the UK gov helpfully won't issue to <16s.

The French previously announced that Pass Sanitaire would be required for lifts if cases nationally in France exceeded 200 per 100k population. I read on reuters earlier it was currently up to 247 so it is widely expected they will need the pass to use lifts (as well as bars and restaurants).

The QR proof above, that 12-15 year olds can't access regardless of their status, would be good for pass sanitaire, but in the absence of it, you are left requiring them to have a test, which the French have just reduced the validity of down to 24 hours.

So basically, unless the French change the rules, or the British Gov "allows" 12-15 year olds access to the QR coded certificate and they are double jabbed in time or recently recovered, or you can find some other way of getting an EU certificate based on full vaccination or recent recovery, you will likely be looking for a test every day.

Sorry, realise I sound like the Voice of Doom, but with a child in that age group I like many others am in the same scuppered-by-the-rules bracket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wonder if they'll want proof of age, for a just turned 12 year old?...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
james75 wrote:

As per Gazzza's comment - they can enter by having a negative test < 24h old and they can ski by having a test each evening giving them 24h validity for PS.

We will be going out on the 18th and testing this plan with a 14yo.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
james75 wrote:

As per Gazzza's comment - they can enter by having a negative test < 24h old and they can ski by having a test each evening giving them 24h validity for PS.

I am due to travel on the 18th also - however i had an appartment booked in Les crosets which I have now cancelled as I can't see the Swiss dropping the 10 day quarantine requirement. Currently planning to leave it as late as possible to see how it pans out regarding the 12 - 15 age category.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gilly76, 12 years and 2 months I understand is the cut off point , but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@james75, single jabbed teens can enter France if travelling with parents. They can ski by doing the daily test in a pharmacy in resort at approx 25 Euros.

If they have proof of having had covid recently plus a single jab they might not need to do the daily testing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if they stick to the 3 months from initial jab for teens, my youngest can get his second jab 20th December & we are due to fly out 26th, with first day skiing 27th.
Does anyone know who long after second jab it becomes valid for the pass? I cant believe it would be 7 days, that would be so lucky.

Going from expensive testing routine, to not getting to go at all, to easy just pitch up & ski in a matter of days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonny996, Seven days for the second of a 2-jab vax.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/#sommaire_1

In, 'Can I enter France?' near the top.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
7 days according to https://uk.ambafrance.org/Health-pass-and-vaccination-in-the-UK#:~:text=1.%20Vaccination%2C%20on,Pfizer%2C%20Moderna%2C%20AstraZeneca).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
james75 wrote:

This is what it means for us in practice...

We, family of five, one in the 12-15 age bracket, are driving out to Val Thorens on 17-18th weekend - we hope! Considered postponing but we've already paid in full for the apartment so if we 'choose' not to go it won't be refunded.

My understanding of the (current) rules and what we need/plan to do: PCR/Antigen test 15 year old at home(Manchester) on Thu 16th evening so we can get him into France via Eurotunnel the next morning. We will then need to PCR/Antigen test him again when we get to Calais at lunchtime on Fri 17th so we can get him into a restaurant and overnight accommodation on route. He will then have to take another test on arrival in Val T on 17th to activate/authorise his ski pass for our first-day skiing on Sun 19th...and every evening thereafter! The in-resort test centres had better be quick and slick!

Adults and 16 year old will be fully vaccinated with the QR code transferred across from our NHS apps to the French TousAntiCovid App - the QR code within this Govt app is the Pass Sanitaire.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could be wrong, but my understanding of the entry regulations at the moment is that you've got up to 48hrs before departure for an antigen test, or 72hrs for PCR (rather than the 24hrs it used to be from the UK).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's 24hrs looking at this, as we're on France's Amber list - third bullet point as you scroll down: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"just get tested daily in resort" might not be so simple when practicalities come to bear.

Someone helpfully posted on here the following link: https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid/departement-73-savoie.html
listing testing providers. I did a sample look up of ones in the sector 73 - Savoie :

1 in Tignes (down in Le Lac)
Non in Les Arcs
Non La Plagne
Non in Meriblel.
Non in VT.
1 or 2 in Les Menuires/St Marin.
1 down in Brides Les Bains.
A couple of Val D'Isere

I'm sure there must be others not on this list - eg. VT medical centre. But point is, based on that allbeit brief analysis resorts don't seem to be bursting at the seems with testing facilities, and what is the capacity? (and everywhere requires an appointment). The resort websites don't fill me with confidence that there is an easy reliable solution for peak times.
ski holidays
Can we not bring our own antigen tests from a UK provider and use those daily to update the Pass Sanitaire?
latest report
i emailed the tourist office in the village when I thought I was going to need daily tests & they informed me of the 2 pharmacies that were doing them, with email addresses to book test slots ahead.
That may be the best way for folks to do it, book your test slots ahead & not hope on them being available.
snow conditions
Buy a UK test, try it at home before you travel, see if you can upload the result. You don't have to be in France to use the app.
snow conditions
Hybridsnowman wrote:
Can we not bring our own antigen tests from a UK provider and use those daily to update the Pass Sanitaire?

I don't believe UK tests issue an EU compliant barcode that the French Anticovid app recognises. Only the NHS covid pass produces the EU compliant QR codes for travel AFAIK. I'd be delighted to discover otherwise.

n.b. VT now confirming Pass Sannitaire required for lifts from 4th December. Assume all resorts will be the same. Not unexpected. https://www.valthorens.com/en/staying-with-us--useful-informations-1/covid-19-valthorens#Health%20pass%20and%20skilifts%20for%20this%20winter
snow report
@Gazzza, uncheck the RT-PCR and Saliva tests and you'll get all the pharmacy's doing lateral flow tests - 359 in the dept.
ski holidays
"email addresses to book test slots"

email would be a woefully inadequate system for a busy holiday period when '000s may potentially need appointments. Needs a full online booking process so as not to degenerate into a complete confused mess for staff and patients alike.
ski holidays
For anyone seeking to book daily lateral flow tests in resort for their 12-15 year olds to validate their Pass Sanitaire, I've managed to do so through the "Doctolib" app and have booked 4:30pm every day with no up-front payment.

I was pointed in that direction by the La Rosiere tourist office, who provided me with the in-resort pharmacy's name, with which I registered through the app's search function and then selected daily appointments (currently available every 6-8 minutes). It's a pain in that it only offers three language options - none of which are English so much time was spent on Google translate - but at least we have one fewer stresses if all the other pieces of the jigsaw fall into place!
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
if they stick to the 3 months from initial jab for teens, my youngest can get his second jab 20th December & we are due to fly out 26th, with first day skiing 27th.
Does anyone know who long after second jab it becomes valid for the pass? I cant believe it would be 7 days, that would be so lucky.

Going from expensive testing routine, to not getting to go at all, to easy just pitch up & ski in a matter of days.

Can confirm it is exactly 7 days.
Our youngest is 16 and had his second jab on Sunday 29th Nov.
His NHS app had the second jab recorded the next day (yesterday) so we uploaded the QR code from that into his TAC App and it said "Congratulations your Pass Sanitaire will be valid from Dec 5th" and generated a QR code.

Fingers crossed that's all we'll need to do get on the slopes before Christmas now - we arrive in resort on the 19th
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
Hybridsnowman wrote:

I don't believe UK tests issue an EU compliant barcode that the French Anticovid app recognises. Only the NHS covid pass produces the EU compliant QR codes for travel AFAIK. I'd be delighted to discover otherwise.

n.b. VT now confirming Pass Sannitaire required for lifts from 4th December. Assume all resorts will be the same. Not unexpected. https://www.valthorens.com/en/staying-with-us--useful-informations-1/covid-19-valthorens#Health%20pass%20and%20skilifts%20for%20this%20winter

My understanding is that you have to take the test in an authorised test centre in France e.g. pharmacy, although I don't know what they issue your 12-15 year old with that then acts as a Pass Sanitaire - probably just a piece of paper that has a QR code on it. Good luck not losing that!

That Val Thorens link is the one I'm keeping an eye on for where and when we can pre-book testing - although published on 25th Nov it's already out of date re the move from 72 hr to 24 hr testing. Hope other resorts have similar published info.
snow report
They send the results in a pdf to an email address of your choosing. The pdf contains the QR code for uploading. At least this was the case in the Summer
snow conditions
MHskier wrote:
"email addresses to book test slots"

email would be a woefully inadequate system for a busy holiday period when '000s may potentially need appointments. Needs a full online booking process so as not to degenerate into a complete confused mess for staff and patients alike.

You missed the point, the pharmacies in the village can only do 20 tests per day, that's why I said book ahead & for 20 test email will be fine.

Someone else said it earlier the availability of testing may be a major issue that no one is really owning
snow report
The Morzine website says one of their pharmacies will do 500 tests a day.. no idea if that’s a reasonable amount vs those who will need them.

We are in the position of needing a second vax for our teen at the ten week mark (in order to make it help the holiday) so I’m hoping somehow that will be possible. Of course at the moment there’s no way to prove they’ve had any at all anyway.
snow conditions
Trevskii wrote:
I think it's 24hrs looking at this, as we're on France's Amber list - third bullet point as you scroll down: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

I think that's out of date. That matches what the official French Government site (at https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/#sommaire_1) said until last week, but it recently changed.

On the .gouv.fr site, under the "if you are not vaccinated and you arrive from an orange country" section, the second bullet point talks about travellers aged 12 and over presenting a negative test. For the last few months that said 72hrs for PCR, 48 hrs for LFT, but had an explicit exception for the United Kingdom which brought them both down to 24 hrs.

The exception was removed from the .gouv.fr site sometime in the last week, so the UK is now treated the same as everyone else, i.e. like the "most other amber countries" quoted on the .gov.uk site.

I think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
God damn I hope get a booster before my planned trip to Les Arcs on the 22nd Jan, it was bloody hard to get my first shot down here in Brighton. I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but if I'm flying via Geneva do I need to follow any more rules or is it just the French rules?
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:
"just get tested daily in resort" might not be so simple when practicalities come to bear.

Someone helpfully posted on here the following link: https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid/departement-73-savoie.html
listing testing providers. I did a sample look up of ones in the sector 73 - Savoie :

1 in Tignes (down in Le Lac)
Non in Les Arcs
Non La Plagne
Non in Meriblel.
Non in VT.
1 or 2 in Les Menuires/St Marin.
1 down in Brides Les Bains.
A couple of Val D'Isere

I'm sure there must be others not on this list - eg. VT medical centre. But point is, based on that allbeit brief analysis resorts don't seem to be bursting at the seems with testing facilities, and what is the capacity? (and everywhere requires an appointment). The resort websites don't fill me with confidence that there is an easy reliable solution for peak times.

I posted that link originally when I was there in the summer. I'm not there at the moment but my guess would be that the only reason resort pharmacies aren't showing on the list is because they've been closed in-between seasons. Once they re-open in a week or I would expect them to be listed again. If you look at the current search results, they're all year round towns rather than seasonal resorts.

For sure, there were two pharmacies in Courchevel doing tests in the summer (I used one of them) but neither are listed right now. I've also heard via seasonnaire links that two pop-up centres are planned for Meribel and it is expected that other 3V resorts will announce something similar soon.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@brianatab, If you are full vaccinated you do not (currently) need a Covid test of any kind to enter France. Only proof of vaccination.

Will still need a test to travel via Geneva, so will make sure the timing covers the entry into France, just in case the rules change before Saturday
snow report
@Raceplate, I concur. They were doing covid testing in the sports centre in Meribel and - I'm sure - in the Tourist Office at one point... plus the pharmacies. And i've heard the same mutterings about pop up testing places for the PS.

I'd wager the resorts with a lot of brit family visitors will have a slick testing set up to solve the 'teenager issue'.
ski holidays
@Minion1980, There is a Swiss online form to complete; not sure about tests though. I imagine things will change before January.

Mildly entertained as I could have written your first sentence: took ages to get my first jab, live in Brighton, heading to Les Arcs on 22nd Jan!
ski holidays
PaulO78 wrote:
@Minion1980, There is a Swiss online form to complete; not sure about tests though. I imagine things will change before January.

Mildly entertained as I could have written your first sentence: took ages to get my first jab, live in Brighton, heading to Les Arcs on 22nd Jan!

haha no way dude that's hilarious! Thanks for the info I need to take more notice of what's required, I stupidly assumed the double vacced status would remove most of the pain, but I was also not naiive enough to think I would definitely be riding this winter. I really hope we all get a bit of snow I haven't been away since March 2020.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
@brianatab, If you are full vaccinated you do not (currently) need a Covid test of any kind to enter France. Only proof of vaccination.

Will still need a test to travel via Geneva, ...
What test? Isn't the Swiss rule that if you are immediately transiting out of the country and you are fully vaccinated then no test and no quarantine is required to enter Switzerland.
snow conditions
@Minion1980, Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
@rob@rar, That's what I thought...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
brianatab wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Will still need a test to travel via Geneva, ...
What test? Isn't the Swiss rule that if you are immediately transiting out of the country and you are fully vaccinated then no test and no quarantine is required to enter Switzerland.

It was on the switzerland UK Embassy Berne Facebook page. There is a video of the UK ambassador to Switzerland. I think she may have not really explained to well what is required for transit only travellers. But after the last two days unless I get a definate answer its not a chance I would take
ski holidays
Definately no quarentine. No mention of a test though. The Swiss travel check differs though. You don't need a test it says.
Again more confusion
snow report
@red, I'd be tempted to ignore that Facebook post, even if it comes from the UK Ambassador's page. The Swiss Government's TravelCheck website seems perfectly clear to me, and if I'm heading to GVA for onward transit to France I can't see there is any need for a Covid test before I arrive in Switzerland.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy