Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

It's a proper ball ache isn't it?
Our 12yo is single jabbed, the 12-week window for his next jab is first week of March so that put half term out of the question unless they reduce the time between 1st and 2nd jabs.

My impression is that 12-17 years in France maintain the Health Pass and can obtain this with 24 hour testing so HT is not out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James77,
https://www.c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bear with me…big argument here in the household re regs to enter France. I say Lateral Flow within 24hrs. My partner says its PCR. This makes a big difference and I can’t establish definitively which it will be.

Does anyone know?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Google Translate from this page https://uk.ambafrance.org/Conditions-de-deplacement

"The French authorities have decided to relax the rules for travel between France and the United Kingdom due to the changing health situation, with entry into force on 14/01/2022. All details will be posted on this page as soon as possible.

Until January 14, 2022, the following current measures remain in force"

May be jumping the gun to try and travel on Friday
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

franga wrote:
lower wrote:
quote from daily telegraph this morning:

'France has lifted its ban on British tourists, giving the green light to thousands ski holidays.

From tomorrow Britons will be able to visit France without the need to quarantine. All travellers, who must be fully vaccinated in order to be permitted entry, must take a Covid test 24 hours before arrival. Full details will be published in a decree on Friday.'
Not sure where the “fully vaccinated” point is from but if this is the case then a very high number of families will say au revoir and look at Austria, Italy and Switzerland for HT and Easter … and not just this season.

Austria require 3 jabs for anyone over 15 (born before Sept 2006) although recovery counts as a booster (3rd jab).

And for the "Super Green Pass" to get on the lifts in Italy, everyone over 12 needs to have had 2 jabs. With the roll out of eligibility for jabs for 12 year olds, our 12 yr old will only have had one jab by HT so Italy not possible for us and lots of families in the same position.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
Bear with me…big argument here in the household re regs to enter France. I say Lateral Flow within 24hrs. My partner says its PCR. This makes a big difference and I can’t establish definitively which it will be.

Does anyone know?

Lateral flow - but a certified one (e.g. £15-20 and get a PDF rather than an NHS one). You can still do it yourself though and submit a photo of the test over the web / through an app etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@valais2, lateral flow within 24 hours is fine.

The current rule (ie before midnight tonight) for people travelling UK - France for an essential reason, is (quoting www.gov.uk site):

"All travellers aged 12 years and over must present a negative PCR or antigen test result taken within 24 hours pre-departure."

They're not going to restrict to just PCR simultaneously with a relaxation of the 'essential reason' requirement.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James77 wrote:
ralphster wrote:
Still unclear if you have an unvaccinated 12YO though. Our kids love France and La Plagne but it feels a long way off yet. Shame, we've had 5 years with family and friend losses, and would like a few days away to recharge. I hope you manage to get a ski trip everyone. Blue skies, cool beers and powder wink

Are your children over 12? Mine are under but wondering if they'll be subject to any restriction.

14 & 12 so keeping an eye on the developments
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sherlock1965 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/13/france-to-lift-ban-on-uk-tourists-from-friday-says-tourism-minister?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Think we can all breathe out at last snowHead Very Happy

From Friday?!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timc wrote:
Google Translate from this page https://uk.ambafrance.org/Conditions-de-deplacement

"The French authorities have decided to relax the rules for travel between France and the United Kingdom due to the changing health situation, with entry into force on 14/01/2022. All details will be posted on this page as soon as possible.

This says it's back open if you're vaccinated and negative within 24 hours of travel.

https://twitter.com/JBLemoyne/status/1481545885167280130
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Contrarian wrote:
Quote:

Do I need to pre book and show proof of the return to UK day 2 tests before i fly out to France?

No.

So who actually checks them ? Are people actually buying and using them?
Why not just use a regular NHS one on day 2
The whole family has to test twice a week for work and school so we have loads of them
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, you still need a test coming from the UK - antigen test within 48hrs of departure. They’ve relaxed the need for a compelling reason and isolation on arrival but the test requirement still remains.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What are the rules for travelling via geneva? I'm getting myself very confused.
PCR to get into Geneva, but then transit to france for holiday, what are the requirements for going back to Geneva?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How busy are people expecting resorts to be over the next week or so following the relaxation of the rules?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pbsmith wrote:
Contrarian wrote:
Quote:

Do I need to pre book and show proof of the return to UK day 2 tests before i fly out to France?

No.

The whole family has to test twice a week for work and school so we have loads of them

They are being checked.

The change has purely been that it's a Day 2 Lateral Flow rather than Day 2 PCR.

It's still got to be booked in advance (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19)

For our tests, we've been told that they pass the code to Test & Trace so they'll follow up to make sure we've done them and find out the result etc (as they would with a PCR).
snow report
Liv7 wrote:
What are the rules for travelling via geneva? I'm getting myself very confused.
PCR to get into Geneva, but then transit to france for holiday, what are the requirements for going back to Geneva?

LFT to get into Geneva if "fully vacinated" so the same one as you'd use for crossing the border into France will suffice. Within 24 hours.

Getting back to Geneva at the end of the holiday there is no need for a test as the exemption is in place for traveling from the Haute Savoie region.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 13-01-22 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

How busy are people expecting resorts to be over the next week or so following the relaxation of the rules?

Probably the quietest ever Cool

Lots of people (UK) will have switched locations and there won't be a stampede for this weekend (apart from Snowheads).

Plus it's a quiet time in any event
snow report
pbsmith wrote:
Contrarian wrote:
Quote:

No.

You have to enter the tests details into the Passenger locator form before entry into the UK
snow conditions
Let's just hope that the decree published tomorrow is explicit and gives way to no ambiguity. Talking here more from a family point of view with single jabbed kids who are not 'fully vaccinated'.
snow conditions
@pbsmith, before you fly back to the UK, you need to prove that you have bought a day 2 test. When you fill out the passenger locator form - a requirement at check-in at the airport - you have to give the day 2 test reference number that you would have been given when you paid for the test.

You should only actually buy this test at the last minute (I've travelled a number of times over the past year or so, and I always buy it from my phone when I'm in the foreign airport, about to check-in) because it always possible that the UK government will relax the rules, and make the day 2 test unnecessary. COVID rule #1: never plan too far ahead.
ski holidays
Submitted my c19testing test at 9.31am, certificate received 9.53am.
@Prejudicial, It's a quiet week normally, so I doubt it will be particularly busy. Maybe a minor stampede of Snowheads! Laughing
I think loads of people couldn't or wouldn't take the risk of booking a week's holiday from work, only to find they couldn't go.
ski holidays
@paulhinch, They’re fibbing. Thousands and thousands of people have failed to get tests back or even do them and there’s no follow up at all.

The only check is you need a code for your PLF - and you ain’t getting on a plane without one of them, and you don’t get a PLF with an NHS test.
latest report
@Contrarian, haha we have day 2 tests from October that we didn't use, so will be using them in February.

That said, I know a few people who have been recycling their day 2 and 8 tests on a frequent basis ...
snow report
Well we're looking at March now - can't get organised enough to go Jan and then going to give Feb a miss due to half-term.

Hoping early MArch will be a)good snow and b) quite still as outside school hols
snow report
StuHolmes_73 wrote:
sherlock1965 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/13/france-to-lift-ban-on-uk-tourists-from-friday-says-tourism-minister?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Think we can all breathe out at last snowHead Very Happy

From Friday?!

Oh hang on, tomorrow IS Friday! My head is all over the place!
snow conditions
@under a new name, yes, the day 2 testing procedure is such a farce. I've never actually taken one!
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
@paulhinch, They’re fibbing. Thousands and thousands of people have failed to get tests back or even do them and there’s no follow up at all.

The only check is you need a code for your PLF - and you ain’t getting on a plane without one of them, and you don’t get a PLF with an NHS test.

I've no doubt that's true. Either way, you still need one of those tests / codes though.
ski holidays
Prejudicial wrote:

My guess is relatively quiet in the coming week as many folk would have been unwilling to cut it so close before cancelling. I think the week after will be pretty busy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Return tests are a tick box exercise I'm afraid. Obviously reasoning (?) behind them but no checking/chasing. I know people who have re-used numbers, made up numbers, used one number for a whole family in summer and never got chased to take the test/results. They were responsible however as they used NHS ones upon return. It's just a Gov pocket liner to fund their 'work events'.
snow report
Timc wrote:

Friday is 14th?
snow conditions
Just need to wait for the new English version of the statement we have to sign. There is still the old one. Which I oriented off ready. But need the new one.

Plus the UK PLF I think

Then we are go go go
ski holidays
@Kettonskimum1971, with Testing for All you only get one PLF number for the whole order, so you have no choice but to reuse it.
latest report
e17phil wrote:
Quote:

Probably the quietest ever Cool

Lots of people (UK) will have switched locations and there won't be a stampede for this weekend (apart from Snowheads).

Plus it's a quiet time in any event
You'd have expected the last few weeks to be super quiet in places like Morzine and Les Gets for that very reason, and on the contrary it was quite busy - Brits were simply replaced with a large influx of NL and BE (and others) skiers.

But yes, it was still holiday season, and nobody expects a stampede next week. Dreading the Feb half term though...
snow report
@paulhinch, Considering many people seem to be using the same code multiple times for multiple trips I doubt very much it's being checked. The automation to see if a code has been 'used' before is so simple and it's not been done.... it's a smoke screen relying on people "doing the right thing"
snow report
patrick! wrote:
You'd have expected the last few weeks to be super quiet in places like Morzine and Les Gets for that very reason, and on the contrary it was quite busy - Brits were simply replaced with a large influx of NL and BE (and others) skiers.

But yes, it was still holiday season, and nobody expects a stampede next week. Dreading the Feb half term though...

Busy last week, dead this current week is my impression from those in the 3V, 'quieter than ever', 'not known anything like it' etc...
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
@squidier1, well they can say that, but as the day 2 test result doesn’t actually get reported to anyone it’s difficult to see what they would or could do about it! As long as the PLF code works that’s all you need to worry about.

That's the problem, with the fit to fly tests that we had you didn't get the PLF code until you did the test, you can't do the test until you're back in the UK, so no PLF, so no boarding pass!
latest report
restrictions lifted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59977978

https://news.sky.com/story/france-eases-covid-travel-restrictions-for-people-arriving-from-uk-12514769

So negative 24 hr PCR test required
ski holidays
Meribel here we go! (And of course the EoSB although that one never felt quite as at risk)

Who else has been clicking the emails for this thread almost constantly and now breathing a sigh of relief at not needing to anymore? snowHead
latest report
It worries me though that they haven't released the full details - still a question mark over what counts as a valid pre-departure test, also what counts as 'fully vaccinated' (booster needed?). Surely they should just move Britain to the red list - but if that's the case why not just say that now. Makes me think they're adding additional rules for us, not just red list.....
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
restrictions lifted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59977978

https://news.sky.com/story/france-eases-covid-travel-restrictions-for-people-arriving-from-uk-12514769

So negative 24 hr PCR test required

Negative PCR test??? That's a new one. That would effectively kill travel for lots of people.

Even under the current rules, a Lateral Flow has been acceptable for those able to travel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy