Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
I’m sure nobody is wanting to make a big deal, just all wanting to cover all eventualities….. in an ever changing world of new rules/policies/politics….when we all really just want to be on the slopes!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LaForet wrote:
But isn't it rather more nuanced that that? Isn't it that within the EU, the authorities know that all the countries have signed up to a broad portfolio of consistent standards and agreements and the ECJ has authority to impose these. Outside the EU, countries have no agreements with them, and no recognition of the ECJ as arbiter of the rules. Countries outside the EU can say what they want but their words are meaningless, unless they have individual, formal Reciprocal Agreements that includes recognition of the ECJ or equivalent. Thus there may be one set of rules for EU travellers and different rules for non-EU arrivals.

The UK left the EU for a variety of reasons and believed the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages, and we now have to live with it. This is one disadvantage: that there is inconsistency in the epidemiological rules being applied to the UK versus EU citizens when arriving in an EU country. But I don't see this as arbitrary: we refused to sign-up to the EU's rules, so we aren't given the same level of trust as an EU partner state - and so the rules that are applied to us diverge.

Another excellent and well reasoned response.

It's a shame this level of understanding isn't commonplace in the UK, but then, that's why we are in this situation.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickYoung, racist!!? - I can't imagine you're being serious? As a country France has a right to decide it's policy and it's decided to have different rules for those within the Schengen zone to those outside, in the same way that the Westminster government has imposed rules for those entering the UK but not for those travelling within the Union. If you don't like it don't go, it's your choice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a pile on there, so hard to unpick every point.

I'm not defending the UKs rules. My issue is with the "you chose Brexit" nonsense.

You are arguing that the UKs covid status is irrelevent, and that only membership of a club is to be considered. You are a Third Country so...

If travelling from the UK is, let's call it undesirable, based on covid reasons, it's undesirable whether you are in the club or not.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philipb wrote:
@NickYoung, racist!!? - I can't imagine you're being serious? As a country France has a right to decide it's policy and it's decided to have different rules for those within the Schengen zone to those outside, in the same way that the Westminster government has imposed rules for those entering the UK but not for those travelling within the Union. If you don't like it don't go, it's your choice.

Absolutely. But based on Brexit, as suggested in this thread, or based on covid?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NickYoung wrote:
Quite a pile on there, so hard to unpick every point.

I'm not defending the UKs rules. My issue is with the "you chose Brexit" nonsense.

You are arguing that the UKs covid status is irrelevent, and that only membership of a club is to be considered. You are a Third Country so...

If travelling from the UK is, let's call it undesirable, based on covid reasons, it's undesirable whether you are in the club or not.

Ok, now explain why it's fine for the UK to require the French to isolate and have a PCR test and then we can start throwing around words like "racist".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a bit confused as to why people flying into Geneva (or Basle, Zurich etc) are trying to comply with these new French entry requirements?

If you fly to Geneva (or any Swiss airport), you have to meet the Swiss Covid entry requirements. Once into CH there are no Covid border restrictions between CH and FR, so the new regulations don't come into play do they?

The French regulations apply to the country you 'arrive' in France from, not the nationality of the traveller. So from UK to Chunnel, Lyon, Chambery, Grenoble etc, then yes the French regs apply - to everyone EU, EEA or non EU. But into GVA, ZRH, BSL Swiss regs apply. Once inside Schengen, the French rules don't apply for transit between Schengen countries?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickYoung wrote:
Nobody...has suggested that the virus has the ability to differentiate between an EU member and a British Citizen. What they have said...is that the UK is required to test as it only has "Third Country Status".

That's a contradiction based solely upon country of origin.

Either a test has universal value, or it has no value.

Thanks Nick. Well said. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
userscott - You need to read my post, rather than jumping in 2-footed.

Again, just for you - I am not defending the UKs rules - ok?

If you are basing your entry rules solely on nationality, that is a racist act, by definition.

I'll remind you that someone earlier in the thread said it was warranted as a result of Brexit - so an anti-British, reactive, punitive, spiteful action. Were they right?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 3-12-21 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Judwin wrote:
I'm a bit confused as to why people flying into Geneva (or Basle, Zurich etc) are trying to comply with these new French entry requirements?

If you fly to Geneva (or any Swiss airport), you have to meet the Swiss Covid entry requirements. Once into CH there are no Covid border restrictions between CH and FR, so the new regulations don't come into play do they?

The French regulations apply to the country you 'arrive' in France from, not the nationality of the traveller. So from UK to Chunnel, Lyon, Chambery, Grenoble etc, then yes the French regs apply - to everyone EU, EEA or non EU. But into GVA, ZRH, BSL Swiss regs apply. Once inside Schengen, the French rules don't apply for transit between Schengen countries?
Don’t the rules apply for entry in to France because you have been in the UK within the last 7 (?) days, regardless of the fact that you travel to France via Switzerland?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickYoung wrote:

If you are basing your entry rules solely on nationality, that is a racist act, by definition.

I'll remind you that someone earlier in the thread said it was warranted as a result of Brexit - so an anti-British, reactive, punitive, spiteful action. Were they right?

Again, please, for the crowd that I'm sure are taking something from this conversation - can you justify why the UK requires EU nationals to Isolate and take a PCR, and for why this is acceptable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Judwin wrote:

Don’t the rules apply for entry in to France because you have been in the UK within the last 7 (?) days, regardless of the fact that you travel to France via Switzerland?

My French is nowhere near good enough to read the ordanace in French, but I've not seen anywhere reporting it as a requirement for those that have been in the UK (or other orange list country) in the past 7 days. Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
userscott wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

Again, please, for the crowd that I'm sure are taking something from this conversation - can you justify why the UK requires EU nationals to Isolate and take a PCR, and for why this is acceptable.

For the 3rd time - I am not defending the UKs rules.

Why is that so hard to understand???

Is it because you have failed to make your argument and are trying to deflect the thread?

For clarity, for a 4th time - I am not defending the UKs rules.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So you've decided unilaterly that it's OK to denigrate the EU and their rules, but that the UKs more severe and punitive rules are totally irrelevant and out of scope for the discussion, and that's final.

How very British! Let's leave it there. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can we keep to the topic please? This was a useful thread for info and is now totally off topic.
snow conditions
Well, sometime in the night Eurotunnel updated their advice.
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/#foca
"From Saturday the 4th of December fully vaccinated passengers over 12 years of age require a negative result from a non-NHS PCR test or a non-NHS Antigen (lateral flow) test taken no more than 48 hours before travel (find a private test provider). Passengers may be required to submit to a virological screening test or biological examination upon arrival."

But none of the official sites have yet updated Confused
See uk.ambafrance.org/, interieur.gouv.fr, diplomatie.gouv.fr/, gov.uk/. Hey-ho.
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:

Actually, it's not. It's may be a xenophobic act though*.

*I'm not saying it is, I'm just being a grammar nazi Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 3-12-21 9:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
userscott wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

My understanding is that it is not only EU nationals who need to take a PCR and to isolate when entering the UK, it is everyone!

The justification is that testing is required due to the spread of the omicron variant.

The justification for everyone to follow the rules is that the infection is likely to infect all races equally.

The justification for choice of a PCR test (rather than LF) is twofold; because it is a more sensitive test and because it is easier to detect the precise variant of Covid.

The justification for needing to self-isolate until a negative PCR test is received is surely obvious and whilst it may be for a period of many days or weeks, it can also be just a few hours or days. But it is the same rule for everyone not just EU nationals.

Being allowed into the country (even for EU nationals) before taking a test avoids the aggravation of trying to take a test and await results in just a short period of, say, 48 hours. Preparing to travel etc. and not really knowing if you’ll be allowed to until the last minute is quite stressful IMO!
ski holidays
Is it not possible to keep the old Brexit aftermath discussion out of this, and just keep it to information about the status af restrictions? Puzzled

threath says: "France Updates Travel Restrictions"

Thank you very much for your kind cooporation. Smile
snow report
NickYoung wrote:

1. EU, as a club, created a set of rules and regulations which ALL countries in the EU follow - vaccination protocols, testing protocols, self-isolation, etc
2. These consistent rules allow EU countries to have common border crossing rules within the EU
3. 3rd world countries (UK included) may or may not follow the same or similar protocols
4. There is no requirement for EU countries to check what protocols, if any, those 3rd world countries follow and whether they are compatible with the EU ones
5. A such the EU countries may apply blanket entry requirements to all no-EU arrivals
6. There is nothing xenophobic about this, let alone racist

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 3-12-21 11:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hyst, it seems not rolling eyes
snow report
Eurotunnel le Shuttle have updated their advice page
ski holidays
@boredsurfin,

Thanks for bringing this thread back on subject! Very useful link.

The official French website is still being amended therefore not sure if Eurotunnel is correct. Usually PCR Tests are usually 72hrs while Lat Flow Tests are 48hrs.

I wish the others would STOP posting. Some of us have to sort out our testing to actually go skiing.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 3-12-21 10:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Oleski,

Please stop posting this rubbish!!!!
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Thanks. Make sure you download the correct "Statement of Honour" form for entry to France. I'd previously downloaded the form suitable for travellers from countries on France's Green List, but just noticed I needed the form for travellers from Orange List countries (download French version)
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

I was under the impression that GVA was like a place of limbo because you exit out the back door into France (so to speak), so you've effectively not been in Switzerland.

But I've been known to be wrong much more than right Toofy Grin
snow report
NickYoung wrote:

The french rules apply to who ever is coming from UK. I am french national, living in UK and I will need to comply with this new rules to enter my country when I will go to ski in 2 weeks from now. This is not a racist act it's a rule that applies to third countries. And YES this is a direct consequence to the Brexit as UK because of the choice of UK citizen got the very same status than all countries in the wolrd except a small club of 30.
ski holidays
thierryd wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

The french rules apply to who ever is coming from UK. I am french national, living in UK and I will need to comply with this new rules to enter my country when I will go to ski in 2 weeks from now. This is not a racist act it's a rule that applies to third countries. And YES this is a direct consequence to the Brexit as UK because of the choice of some of the UK citizen got the very same status than all countries in the wolrd except a small club of 30.

Corrected for you
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
thierryd wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

The french rules apply to who ever is coming from UK. I am french national, living in UK and I will need to comply with this new rules to enter my country when I will go to ski in 2 weeks from now. This is not a racist act it's a rule that applies to third countries. And YES this is a direct consequence to the Brexit as UK because of the choice of some of the UK citizen got the very same status than all countries in the wolrd except a small club of 30.

Corrected for you

In Democraty even when the choice is made by even a very tiny majority, this is becoming the choice of all citizens...... for good and bad
ski holidays
@thierryd, hmmm is that so. Oh well. It is why I was so pleased when my employer de-recognised the unions and meant they could no longer change my terms and conditions without my agreement under the collective bargaining arrangements…. Without handing in my notice! Now they have to deal directly with me Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I was under the impression that GVA was like a place of limbo because you exit out the back door into France (so to speak), so you've effectively not been in Switzerland.

But I've been known to be wrong much more than right Toofy Grin
It doesn't matter whether you use the French bit of GVA or the Swiss bit (for the purposes of Covid regulations it is all counted as Swiss), what determines the rules you have to follow is your initial starting point of travel. The French declaration of honour form asks for your "Provenance initiale" - this will be the UK, not Geneva airport.
latest report
This thread is agonising over details of entry but with the way the infection figures are rising in France I fear the big picture is that they are headed for another lockdown.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 3-12-21 10:49; edited 2 times in total
latest report
I'm just booking my Eurotunnel, and given all the debate about "self administered" etc., here's what the Eurotunnel info says:

"From Saturday the 4th of December fully vaccinated passengers over 12 years of age require a negative result from a non-NHS PCR test or a non-NHS Antigen (lateral flow) test taken no more than 48 hours before travel (find a private test provider). Passengers may be required to submit to a virological screening test or biological examination upon arrival.

At French border controls you will need to present digital or paper evidence of the negative result from the private test provider."

i.e. as I and others have speculated, it seems that "self administered" really means "NHS". I am planning to use Excalibur (LFT with certificate generated via an app, and with a QR code albeit not one that the Pass Sanitaire recognises).
snow report
NickYoung wrote:

I'm not sure you have the correct "definition" of racism. It certainly doesn't mean discrimination against people living in a country. Or even nationality.
snow report
@rob@rar, this is when this forum need a simple 'LIKE POST' button. *THUMBS UP EMOJI* Toofy Grin
snow report
Further to rob@rar's point about the statement of honour ( for travellers from 'orange' countries incl UK) does it have to be in french or is there an officially -accepted version in english?
ski holidays
peerless ploughman wrote:
Further to rob@rar's point about the statement of honour ( for travellers from 'orange' countries incl UK) does it have to be in french or is there an officially -accepted version in english?

The official one is in English

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/129965/1035061/file/30-11-2021-attestation-de-deplacement-vers-la-france-metropolitaine-orange-version-anglaise.docx
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
peerless ploughman wrote:

The official one is in English

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/129965/1035061/file/30-11-2021-attestation-de-deplacement-vers-la-france-metropolitaine-orange-version-anglaise.docx
That form is for UNvaccinated travellers. I did have a quick look for a Amber List form in English for vaccinated travellers and couldn't find one this morning. Anyone spotted that form?
latest report
But oleski, that form appears to relate to unvaccinated travellers needing special circumstances to be allowed to enter France.
Isn't there a different one for vaccinated travellers entering france from countries such as UK? ( and needing proof of vaccination plus statement of honour).
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
Thanks. Make sure you download the correct "Statement of Honour" form for entry to France. I'd previously downloaded the form suitable for travellers from countries on France's Green List, but just noticed I needed the form for travellers from Orange List countries (download French version)

Yes, good shout. The UK is considered to be an ‘Amber’ list country in the French system.

I noticed this issue as well after a good friend who had travelled to France twice in the Autumn had directed me to the ‘wrong’ version. When I questioned him about it he said ‘yes, you are right. I have been using the wrong form. However, no-one noticed, or at least mentioned, it was wrong on either of my trips! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy