Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
LCI reporting that Attal 'hopes' restrictions on UK travel will be lifted by the end of the week.

I imagine TOs are tearing their hair out over the indecision.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
Completely! Not exactly the relaxing holiday that you want. And always that edge of receiving a positive result but having an asymptomatic child! Plus the extra cost.

We have a week in La Tania booked for February HT (self-catering / same apartment we've been to for the last 7 years) but have hedged our bets and also booked a hotel in Grindelwald ... the clarity provide by the Swiss is a clear winner for us. There will be a massive run on Swiss hotels as soon as the French make an announcement that involves daily testing of unvaccinated teens. Shame ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La France assouplira à nouveau « dans les tout prochains jours » les restrictions appliquées il y a un mois aux frontières avec le Royaume-Uni afin de lutter contre la propagation du variant Omicron, a indiqué mercredi le porte-parole du gouvernement Gabriel Attal.

« Je vous confirme qu’un assouplissement supplémentaire des restrictions avec le Royaume-Uni va être annoncé dans les tout prochains jours », a affirmé le porte-parole à l’issue du Conseil des ministres, espérant que les annonces seront faites « d’ici la fin de la semaine ».

The above is taken from a french news website. French Government spokesman says rules are going to be relaxed but details probably not available until the end of the week
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franga, daily testing is being removed from 15th. Only double jabs will cut it.

Unfortunately, if you have teenagers who won’t be double jabbed by the time you go, they won’t be able to access anything.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
LCI reporting that Attal 'hopes' restrictions on UK travel will be lifted by the end of the week.

I honestly don’t think it’s indecision - the decision is made. They have to prepare communications and procedures so border guards, airlines etc know what to do. I’m still pretty sure we’ll hear something formal by tomorrow teatime latest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy from embsay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

I honestly don’t think it’s indecision - the decision is made. They have to prepare communications and procedures so border guards, airlines etc know what to do. I’m still pretty sure we’ll hear something formal by tomorrow teatime latest.

+1 agree with this.

I suspect the legal texts etc will all be published tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The French don't like to rush do they.

They must know that the main transfer days into ski resorts are Saturday and Sunday.

If they know what they are going to do get it out there.

Waiting until Friday teatime before saying you can fly out tomorrow helps no one.

Its as if the main man making the decisions doesn't like us !!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

With the government spokesperson saying announcements at end of the week my best guess is not tomorrow but friday with the new rules maybe starting saturday
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Iirc the regulation that bans us runs out on the 15th so unless they renew it or bring in another one wecan get in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pateman99 wrote:
Quote:

With the government spokesperson saying announcements at end of the week my best guess is not tomorrow but friday with the new rules maybe starting saturday

He didn’t say announcements at the end of the week - he said he “hoped” announcement in “the next days”.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

espérant que les annonces seront faites « d’ici la fin de la semaine

my translation is ' hoping the announcements will be made here at the end of the week'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy from embsay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

If the decision is made why not say so and give the date it's effective from, still gives people tie to sort logistics etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

If the decision is made why not say so and give the date it's effective from, still gives people tie to sort logistics etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tiddles wrote:

They must know that the main transfer days into ski resorts are Saturday and Sunday.

Waiting until Friday teatime before saying you can fly out tomorrow helps no one.

I don’t think they are bothered about main transfer days, during the first lockdown they made the announcement Saturday afternoon, once all the guests had arrived to be told they were closing everything and they had to return home! Making that announcement Friday would have saved a whole lot of aggravation for all concerned.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee wrote:
Tiddles wrote:

I don’t think they are bothered about main transfer days, during the first lockdown they made the announcement Saturday afternoon, once all the guests had arrived to be told they were closing everything and they had to return home! Making that announcement Friday would have saved a whole lot of aggravation for all concerned.

You're dead right.

I was due to fly out the next day at 6am. Glad I wasn't a saturday flight !!
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Having done “big announcements” a few times over the years it’s always better to spend a bit of time working the “what if?”s - the Swiss messed this up before xmas when they made an ill-thought out announcement at a weekend and didn’t brief their people or the airlines properly.

The easiest thing would be to just say “Uk onto the red list from xx” - they have the rules for that drafted.
latest report
feefee wrote:
Tiddles wrote:

I was going to say this. From memory I think every alpine country had announced closures to skiing by the Friday except the French. They announced on the Friday that things were staying open, prompting lots of people to travel on Saturday (including me). They then locked everything down late on Saturday afternoon.

I wouldn't necessarily expect them to rush any announcement just to help those due to travel at the weekend, I'm afraid.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
@nicholsg, there are private clinics that will issue a letter/certificate of recovery for about £150

@Timmycb5 - thanks. Do you know if the private clinics provide a readable QR Code. I checked with Medicspot pre-Christmas and they said they didn't. mayfieldclinic.co.uk sounds like they do
snow conditions
@franga, about “Swiss clarity”. In the summer quarantine was placed on all unvaccinated (including children and babies) entering CH, with no notice - I had to cancel my summer holiday there (and I went to France instead which had more welcoming rules..). Then we had the Geneva travel debacle before Xmas and the French were worried the Swiss ban would be an issue for visitors to France!

Ultimately, all countries do what suits them and is in line with their particular approach to the pandemic, just as we in the U.K. have constantly done with travel regs. If a new variant comes along clarity will be out of the window while the situation settles - same as what has happened with France!
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
James77 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Having done “big announcements” a few times over the years it’s always better to spend a bit of time working the “what if?”s - the Swiss messed this up before xmas when they made an ill-thought out announcement at a weekend and didn’t brief their people or the airlines properly.

The easiest thing would be to just say “Uk onto the red list from xx” - they have the rules for that drafted.

I'm expecting (hoping?) for them to say Red list from date X and that's it!
ski holidays
@James77, that would be super-easy and would make sense in terms of their own criteria - which is a country with high case numbers and with a variant of concern. It also ensures that everyone who travels is vaccinated.
latest report
My contact (FWIW) in Bozel thinks Manny might speak later on the subject...
latest report
nicholsg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
@nicholsg, there are private clinics that will issue a letter/certificate of recovery for about £150

@Timmycb5 - thanks. Do you know if the private clinics provide a readable QR Code. I checked with Medicspot pre-Christmas and they said they didn't. mayfieldclinic.co.uk sounds like they do

Mayfield have told me their QR code is not compatible with EU system but I am double checking because there was some ambiguity in their message to me. I will let you know. Midland Health QR code is definitely not compatible.
latest report
nicholsg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

As far as I understand it, the QR codes produced aren’t readable by TAC verif or any other EU based system. You need to speak nicely to the pharmacie and persuade them to issue an equivalence certificate (for a further €30).

Some won’t do it. Some will. Worth checking in advance
snow report
Update, message from Mayfield:

Unfortunately our Certificates are not compatible with EU passes. QR codes for private Proof of Recovery certificates are not recognised as there is no arrangement between countries for this
ski holidays
Can you keep the vac talk to the relevant threads please, we're all eagerly awaiting actual travel rule updates...
snow conditions
Quote:

Quote:

espérant que les annonces seront faites « d’ici la fin de la semaine

my translation is ' hoping the announcements will be made here at the end of the week'

"d’ici la fin de la semaine" means "by the end of the week". Maybe we can hope that they actually announce it sooner than Friday?
latest report
Just read on a WhatsApp group that the British army is coming out, 15th January.

Not too sure if it's the Royal Army Medical Corps or the Logistics Corps, but it's amusing to think that it's the RAMC and they're coming to the aid of the French, yet again in these trying times Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eurortunnel/Calais ferry or Landing on the Normandy beaches ???
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Just read on a WhatsApp group that the British army is coming out, 15th January.

Not too sure if it's the Royal Army Medical Corps or the Logistics Corps, but it's amusing to think that it's the RAMC and they're coming to the aid of the French, yet again in these trying times Laughing

Alpine Regiments commencing the invasion of France and its return to a British territory.
(Although we don't really need all of France, just departments 38, 73 and 74 would do!
snow report
I think there is sufficient rumour now for me to be excited, albeit not officially excited Happy
latest report
@JDL65, can’t we have some coastline too?
snow report
@JDL65, yes and what about down South, 05 Hautes Alpes !!!!

And if we had our way we wouldn't let 38's and other's come to 05 Laughing
ski holidays
Here's a hypothetical - if restrictions were eased from 00:00 on Saturday, what's the earliest Eurotunnel you could get?

There's a 22:31 which arrives at 00:06, so technically you'd be getting off on the 15th, though I _think_ they check your passport before getting on. In which case I guess you've entered France at that point, so you'd need the 01:09 Sad
ski holidays
@thechris.sn, we have this problem - I think we are due to enter France itself just before midnight on the Friday. Hopefully common sense will prevail.
snow conditions
@conor, we’re arriving late Friday into Geneva about 1030. My intention, even if the rule changes at 00.00 is to drive over the border before midnight, and if we were to get stopped I’ll plead ignorance and failing that wait for an hour!
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Did you have access to any formal announcement on this?

Trying to make the decision on our trip which is flying out on Saturday 15th London to Geneva at 0600, then transferring across the border to Morzine...

Not quite as fine as the overnight Eurostar but close!
latest report
thechris.sn wrote:
Here's a hypothetical - if restrictions were eased from 00:00 on Saturday, what's the earliest Eurotunnel you could get?

There's a 22:31 which arrives at 00:06, so technically you'd be getting off on the 15th, though I _think_ they check your passport before getting on. In which case I guess you've entered France at that point, so you'd need the 01:09 Sad

Yeah I looked at that so booked the 6:20am and will stay in Folkestone the night before. Can make resorts in 9-10 hours so by 6-7pm.
snow report
ace1111in wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Did you have access to any formal announcement on this?

Trying to make the decision on our trip which is flying out on Saturday 15th London to Geneva at 0600, then transferring across the border to Morzine...

Not quite as fine as the overnight Eurostar but close!

There is no formal announcement yet, but I get the feeling certain parties have been tipped the appropriate wink - airlines are running flights, I read one of the officials in Meribel said they’d been told 15th is the date and (possibly slightly less relevant to skiing!) Newcastle Falcons are still showing their match on Friday as being on - they had said they’d cancel if they had to isolate for 48hrs. And if the army are travelling you’d hope they’d have some insight…
snow report
Its not only the brits that this is annoying for, all the people running hotels, catered chalets, bars and restaurants need to buy food etc for their clients, if the announcement is too late for people to travel they wont want to risk buying perishable food.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy