Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
Ryunis wrote:
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
The chalet company we're using for our 23rd Jan trip have sent us this today. Fair enough I think....

Quote:
We have spoken to many of you concerning your holiday on 23 January and the current closure of France to UK tourists because of Covid restrictions, but we just thought that we would drop you a line to explain our current thinking and the options available.

It is hard to know exactly when the border closure might be reversed for tourism but the French government declared on Wednesday (5 January) that that the definitions around essential travel will be relaxed imminently and the government spokesman identified “next week” as a likely timeframe for loosening UK restrictions further, presumably to include tourism, because “the Omicron variant is affecting both UK & France in a similar manner.” South Africa was one of a number of countries removed from the French “essential travel only” list yesterday for the same reason.

The general feeling therefore is that you will be able to travel on 23 January, and of course this is now much easier further to the relaxation of UK rules meaning that you will not have to test in resort before you return to the UK, and you no longer need to isolate pending a negative PCR once you are home.

We will be in touch again next Friday (14 January) and if at that stage there is no clear guidance that the border will be open in time for your holiday then our Covid Guarantee for your departure date will be triggered and this will give you a few options, albeit you don’t have to confirm what you want to do until a couple of days before your date of travel.

So that you can ponder your own personal options well in advance, we wanted to spell out the alternatives so you can discuss this with family and friends. In summary, if the guarantee is triggered next Friday then you will be able to choose one of the following:

1 - Hang tight for a while and do nothing, it is possible that departures on 23 January might still be possible.

2 - Move your booking to later in the season, this helps us enormously and if you have the flexibility and are kind enough to do so, then we would offer you a 15% discount on the new holiday price. After applying this discount, we would of course refund any difference to you should the new booking be cheaper.

3 - Move your booking to next year, you don’t have to decide the date now, but again this really helps us and so if you are kind enough to do this then we will not only guarantee this year’s prices (prices will be going up substantially to help pay for Macron’s unkindness !) but we will also give you a credit of 10% of your holiday price (not including extras) which you can use against whatever you want next year (ski passes, ski hire etc … )

4 - If none of above works for you then you can of course ask for a refund, that was our promise. It will take up to 28 days to process, longer than we would have liked, sorry, this latest upheaval has left us a little compromised on the admin front, but you can have your money back if you wish.

So, have a ponder and discuss with the others in your group. We will be in touch in a week’s time. As we say, you don’t need to tell us until a few days before you should be travelling. As soon as the border opens, we will light the fires, pop the champagne, and warm the canapes, hope to see you then.

Which company is this, may I ask? I commend their approach and think we should promote them. I'd certainly be interested in booking with them if they have any availability.

VIP Ski

Thought it might be and glad to hear it. We’re booked for the 5th Feb and are hoping that the picture will be clearer well before then.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Response from Chromatics:

Thanks for contacting us, I hope you're well.

We're aware that the government have again announced changes to the rules around testing for travel. We understand this may raise some concerns regarding your order but please be assured, we've reviewed our testing packages to reflect the latest government guidelines.

Please see below for the options available to you:
If you need to purchase a Day 2 Lateral Flow test for travel, you can now purchase this test from our website here.
If you've already purchased a Day 2 PCR test from us, you can still use this test instead of a Day 2 Lateral Flow test and you'll receive the relevant certification required.
Currently, there’s no option to downgrade your test type and our tests are non-interchangeable so you can't use your Test to Return Rapid Antigen as a Day 2 Lateral Flow (for example).
If you've already purchased a Day 2 PCR test from us and you'd like to cancel your order, you can do this via your dashboard - click here for guidance on how to do this.
We're doing all we can to ensure frequent updates are provided via our FAQ’s which can be found here, please check this page regularly.

Shame their app worked brilliantly and PCR turn around (at least for us) was within SLA.

Oh well will bank them for later on in the season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@brovert, I'm not sure how all that relates to "France Updates Travel Restrictions" rolling eyes

There is, however, a thread running on this very subject, so maybe post there?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4896652&highlight=refunds#4896652
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@brovert, I'm not sure how all that relates to "France Updates Travel Restrictions"

There is, however, a thread running on this very subject, so maybe post there?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4896652&highlight=refunds#4896652

*post police nee nah
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone explain how anyone from the UK has managed to ski in France without losing the 2 days of self-isolation or has everyone who has 'worked around' the travel ban also worked around this by not doing it?

'Upon arrival in France, all travellers must self-isolate for 48 hours, after which time a negative PCR or antigen test is required to exit self-isolation. Without a negative test result, you will be required to self-isolate for 10 days.'
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Levi215 wrote:
Can anyone explain how anyone from the UK has managed to ski in France without losing the 2 days of self-isolation or has everyone who has 'worked around' the travel ban also worked around this by not doing it?

'Upon arrival in France, all travellers must self-isolate for 48 hours, after which time a negative PCR or antigen test is required to exit self-isolation. Without a negative test result, you will be required to self-isolate for 10 days.'

Easy. By flying into GVA (CH) and ticking ‘transit’ on their locator form. Then by chancing it over the main road border and unlikely not to get stopped, using one of the smaller generally unmanned border crossing or catching a local train to France. Or ferry to NL and drive to CH (avoiding France) aiming for Geneva. There is no record they have entered France. In my view they are in breach with consequences if caught and there and could also be insurance issues if I an accident (car accident, medical, liability, life insurabce)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or gone out to France pre December 17th
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simon Calder legendry travel journalist still says this will drop away by the 15th or he'll eat his chapeau. I'm still banking on him being correct on the basis he's far more clued up than any of us dreamers!....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Levi215, Been here since Dec 16th
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@James77, good to hear.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @James77, I used to read the Independent when it was a "real" newspaper, but haven't felt the need to subscribe to whatever their online rump is. Simon Calder always had his finger on the pulse.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
j b wrote:
Thanks @James77, I used to read the Independent when it was a "real" newspaper, but haven't felt the need to subscribe to whatever their online rump is. Simon Calder always had his finger on the pulse.

He does a daily podcast which is well worth listening too.

This is the episode mentioned above...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7eJIw1jE1SY46syyucpeVm?si=Djtas2RwTYqBy1g5w_b_2g&utm_source=copy-link
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Levi215 wrote:

Just heard from one of my UK chums living in the Chamonix valley that it is now commonplace for UK citizens to arrive for a week or two skiing in Chamonix. He picked up a family who he knows well from the Mountain Drop Offs bus. The bus was full of Brits doing the same. Other transfer companies are available....

Must admit that this had crossed my mind to get my season started, but I can just see too much scope for this going badly wrong.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone have any detailed info on what is coming for France once these new rules have passed this week (though there were protests yesterday I see)? I know that everyone will need to be fully vaccinated but I think there is some hope that might not apply to 12 - 16 year olds but the only thing I found on that was that the exemption was only for school trips. We have a 12 year old who can only get her second jab on the Tuesday before we go on the Friday so she a) won’t have 7 days post vaccine and b) we won’t get her NHS letter in time. I think…..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Warnergb7, There is no detail, only speculation I'm afraid.
ski holidays
The next Government meeting is on Thursday 13th (good job it is not Friday 13th Wink ) :: but they could review regs at any time..
snow report
albob wrote:
The next Government meeting is on Thursday 13th (good job it is not Friday 13th Wink ) :: but they could review regs at any time..

I thought it was Wednesday morning for the defence council?
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, Maybe ; I took the date from this site :: suspect my French wasn't up to it.....

https://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/dyn/15/dossiers/alt/projetdeloirenforcantlesoutilsdegestiondelacrisesanitaire
snow conditions
I heard that too eg planetski “ We understand a date for reopening the border between the UK and France will be discussed at the next defence council meeting on Wednesday 12th January.”
snow conditions
Apologies.... Embarassed
ski holidays
@albob, i think that site is the timetable for the National Assembly’s process for changing the overall covid laws - I think the defence council (kind of like UK’s COBRA) usually meets wednesday mornings and is followed by Gabriel Attal’s press conference.

Wednesday’s when I will be checking anyway!!
snow conditions
@HammondR, certainly no shortage of brit voices around town ...
ski holidays
@under a new name, not that we have that many Brits here, but a certain taxi driver is evidently doing good trade between Turin Airport and here, plus I'm seeing a few more, Brit reg cars.
snow conditions
HammondR wrote:

Must admit that this had crossed my mind to get my season started, but I can just see too much scope for this going badly wrong.

Yes i agree, I think there is a significant difference in ‘you can’t travel from the uk’ and getting around that, to avoiding quarantine mandates.
snow conditions
Warnergb7 wrote:
Does anyone have any detailed info on what is coming for France once these new rules have passed this week (though there were protests yesterday I see)? I know that everyone will need to be fully vaccinated but I think there is some hope that might not apply to 12 - 16 year olds but the only thing I found on that was that the exemption was only for school trips. We have a 12 year old who can only get her second jab on the Tuesday before we go on the Friday so she a) won’t have 7 days post vaccine and b) we won’t get her NHS letter in time. I think…..

I'm trying understand the situation too for 12 - 16. I've got a 12 an 15 yr old. Both got Covid in Nov 2021, now recovered but can't get vaccinated before 12 Feb 2022 when we fly. I'm fully vaccinated.

Children aged 12 years old or over who are not fully vaccinated and travelling with a fully vaccinated adult are required to present a negative test result (PCR or antigen). In this instance, the child aged 12 years old or over does not need to provide an essential reason for travel, nor do they need to self-isolate on arrival.

Children aged 12 years old or over who are unvaccinated and travelling alone are subject to the same conditions adults who are not fully vaccinated. Children aged 11 years old or younger do not need to present a negative test result to travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

How did you interpret this?
What does full vaccinated mean? My kids haven;'t even had 1 vaccine so in theory, they are not fully vaccinated. Or are they in the unvaccinated category (despite travelling with an adult)?

On the positive side, I interpret as over 12 children don't need to do the 2 days isolation to test and release and ski at their leisure from day 1 Laughing
snow conditions
snowheeeed wrote:
Warnergb7 wrote:

I'm trying understand the situation too for 12 - 16. I've got a 12 an 15 yr old. Both got Covid in Nov 2021, now recovered but can't get vaccinated before 12 Feb 2022 when we fly. I'm fully vaccinated.

Children aged 12 years old or over who are not fully vaccinated and travelling with a fully vaccinated adult are required to present a negative test result (PCR or antigen). In this instance, the child aged 12 years old or over does not need to provide an essential reason for travel, nor do they need to self-isolate on arrival.

Children aged 12 years old or over who are unvaccinated and travelling alone are subject to the same conditions adults who are not fully vaccinated. Children aged 11 years old or younger do not need to present a negative test result to travel.

currently over 12's in France either need to have had both doses of the vaccine (or 1 if Janssen) or 1 dose and have recovered from covid and be able to prove it - rules may well change this week when hopefully we will be allowed back into the country

What does full vaccinated mean? My kids haven;'t even had 1 vaccine so in theory, they are not fully vaccinated. Or are they in the unvaccinated category (despite travelling with an adult)?

On the positive side, I interpret as over 12 children don't need to do the 2 days isolation to test and release and ski at their leisure from day 1 Laughing
snow report
@snowheeeed, We'll know more in 51/52 hours. I suspect no quarantine will be needed for anyone.

The above you've posted is for travel to France and travel to France only. Not for any restriction under the vaccine pass which is coming into force on Friday. It sounds like they'll be fine for travel with no quarantine, however they are unlikely to be able access ski lifts, cafes, pools, etc.

I think to qualify for the pass vaccine for them, it's either 2 jabs or 1 jab plus recovery. I can't remember if just recovery is enough, but you should check it out asap. If just recovery is OK, I'd suggest you contact your GP to get a letter/certificate of recover for them, or fork out at a private doctors for one (will cost you £150 a pop) and I'd then contact the pharmicie where you are staying and see if they will issue an equivalence certificate (they're not supposed to for UK citizens, but they might sympathise).
snow conditions
andmelffion wrote:
snowheeeed wrote:
Warnergb7 wrote:

currently over 12's in France either need to have had both doses of the vaccine (or 1 if Janssen) or 1 dose and have recovered from covid and be able to prove it - rules may well change this week when hopefully we will be allowed back into the country

Edited for accuracy

NHS website says high risk children can have a jab at least 4 weeks after recovered from covid, and ideally 12 weeks.

As November is well over 4 weeks ago, I'd go to a walk in centre, explain the situation and ask to get them done. My neighbor's 13 year old also had covid in November successfully received their first jab by doing this.,

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 10-01-22 11:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lower wrote:

NHS website says children can have a jab at least 4 weeks after recovered from covid, and ideally 12 weeks.

As November is well over 4 weeks ago, you should be able to get one jab in each child before you want to travel even though its not been 12 weeks. I'd go to a walk in centre and just get them done.

I think 4 weeks is for children who are at risk. Otherwise it's 12 weeks.

Quote:
If your child has tested positive for COVID-19 and is not at high risk from COVID-19, they need to wait 12 weeks before they can have a COVID-19 vaccine.
snow report
lower wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
snowheeeed wrote:
Warnergb7 wrote:

NHS website says children can have a jab at least 4 weeks after recovered from covid, and ideally 12 weeks.

As November is well over 4 weeks ago, you should be able to get one jab in each child before you want to travel even though its not been 12 weeks. I'd go to a walk in centre and just get them done.

That is completely wrong - correct wording taken from the NHS website is below and is a minimum of 12 weeks after their confirmed positive PCR test (my wife is also a clinical lead for 3 vaccine centres who has confrmed this is correct)

Children can get a 1st dose of the vaccine from the day they turn 12.

Most children can get a 2nd dose from 12 weeks after they had their 1st dose.

If your child has tested positive for COVID-19 and is not at high risk from COVID-19, they need to wait 12 weeks before they can have a COVID-19 vaccine.

This starts from the date of their positive PCR test.
snow conditions
@snowheed - I'm curious about this 'Vaccine Pass' - is it something different to the Tous Anti Covid App? - which I can't get to work for love nor money! I have 3 jabs but it will only show 1 , despite me uploading my pdf of vaccination records from NHS App
OR... can I just show my NHS App everywhere I go, like in Austria?
snow report
Hi there,

We're obviously all waiting with baited breath for France to announce a change in UK travel restrictions! We're meant to be travelling on Jan 15th, so are particularly on edge.

I'm guessing that when the ban on UK ban is lifted, tourists will likely have to take an Antigen test with 24 hours of departure and an antigen test within 2 days of arrival, but am unsure whether the test on arrival in France is likely to require a visit to a testing centre or whether I could potentially take another antigen test with me and self-test (and the lab certificate provided by the testing company over the internet)?
Does anyone have an educated guess on whether self-testing is likely to be allowed?

All the best and good luck!
ski holidays
Julief wrote:
@snowheed - I'm curious about this 'Vaccine Pass' - is it something different to the Tous Anti Covid App? - which I can't get to work for love nor money! I have 3 jabs but it will only show 1 , despite me uploading my pdf of vaccination records from NHS App

The vaccine pass is replacing the pass sanitaire on Friday. The Tous Anti Covid app is the app which proves you qualify for either.

Not sure why TAC wouldn't work for you, but the NHS app should be fine to use now. Make sure you save an offline version though (eg in wallet) as you need internet/data to access it
ski holidays
andmelffion wrote:
lower wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
snowheeeed wrote:
Warnergb7 wrote:

That is completely wrong - correct wording taken from the NHS website is below and is a minimum of 12 weeks after their confirmed positive PCR test (my wife is also a clinical lead for 3 vaccine centres who has confrmed this is correct)

Children can get a 1st dose of the vaccine from the day they turn 12.

Most children can get a 2nd dose from 12 weeks after they had their 1st dose.

This starts from the date of their positive PCR test.

You are correct, and i've edited my previous post to clarify this.

If your child is high risk then 4 weeks is the minimum so i have no idea where the 12 weeks comes from. My neighbor just had their 13 year old, non-high risk child vaccinated with their first jab after having covid in Nov last year after going to a walk in centre and explaining they wanted the vaccine to enable them to travel.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
Julief wrote:

The vaccine pass is replacing the pass sanitaire on Friday. The Tous Anti Covid app is the app which proves you qualify for either.

Not sure why TAC wouldn't work for you, but the NHS app should be fine to use now. Make sure you save an offline version though (eg in wallet) as you need internet/data to access it

I would love to get TAC to work, I have it on my phone. I downloaded a pdf of my NHS Vacc Cert - this is saved on phone in wallet and google drive - Its a 2 page document. I then uploaded this to TAC, but the Vacc Cert tab then just gives me a bar code with the words Vaccination 1/2 underneath? Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?!
snow report
Julief wrote:

For the TAC app, I've found the easiest way is to screenshot the QR code for each vaccine shot (and recovery if applicable) and import them into the TAC app one by one.
snow report
aha, thank you, I will try this now
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@snowheeeed, We'll know more in 51/52 hours. I suspect no quarantine will be needed for anyone.

The above you've posted is for travel to France and travel to France only. Not for any restriction under the vaccine pass which is coming into force on Friday. It sounds like they'll be fine for travel with no quarantine, however they are unlikely to be able access ski lifts, cafes, pools, etc.

I think to qualify for the pass vaccine for them, it's either 2 jabs or 1 jab plus recovery. I can't remember if just recovery is enough, but you should check it out asap. If just recovery is OK, I'd suggest you contact your GP to get a letter/certificate of recover for them, or fork out at a private doctors for one (will cost you £150 a pop) and I'd then contact the pharmicie where you are staying and see if they will issue an equivalence certificate (they're not supposed to for UK citizens, but they might sympathise).

The pharmacy in Chx was certainly doing them for Brits though as referenced above the system is really meant to be for countries that have no access to the Europe wide QR system (which UK does).

Also, didn't I read on another post on another thread (or maybe this one) that minors can still use PS (whereas adults are now restricted to PV) in which case daily testing is still an option? May have that wrong.
snow conditions
Sparkles wrote:
Julief wrote:

For the TAC app, I've found the easiest way is to screenshot the QR code for each vaccine shot (and recovery if applicable) and import them into the TAC app one by one.

Yes this. You need to upload each jab.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

The pharmacy in Chx was certainly doing them for Brits though as referenced above the system is really meant to be for countries that have no access to the Europe wide QR system (which UK does).

Also, didn't I read on another post on another thread (or maybe this one) that minors can still use PS (whereas adults are now restricted to PV) in which case daily testing is still an option? May have that wrong.

Sounds like the pass vaccine is for anyone 12 and up. There is some exemption for extra curricular activities, but I don't think a skiing holiday counts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy