Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
The new thread will also drift and will end up looking like this one and we then have two in parallel just to confuse - I reckon save the trouble. The factual information appears in the media not long after it is announced.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Summary:

French travel rules slightly relaxed on Wednesday - travel from UK for professional reasons now allowed - expectation that you would need some kind of documentation to evidence this.

In relation to tourism no relaxation yet - next meeting of the French ministers should be on Weds 12th Jan and expectation seems to be that tourism will be allowed after that date and maybe from the 15th Jan (not sure what testing/quarantine requirements would be yet)

This was from French minister Gabriel Attal on Wednesday:

"Additional ‘essential reasons’ for coming to France from the UK are expected to be announced shortly, having been agreed on by ministers today.
Lifting the requirement entirely will also be on the agenda the next time senior ministers meet in the Conseil de défense sanitaire (health defence council), government spokesman Gabriel Attal said today. These meetings, often combined, as today, with the weekly meetings of the French cabinet, have been held regularly during the pandemic to take decisions related to fighting Covid-19
Asked if the current travel restrictions for the UK are not becoming pointless as the Omicron variant (the reason for the rules) is now prevalent in France also, Mr Attal confirmed that they would lift such measures if the health situations in France and restricted countries become comparable.
"When we observe that the Omicron variant is circulating just as much here as elsewhere, that the situations are truly comparable, we will ease the measures" in place, he said.
He added: “As an example we decided today in the Conseil de défense to enlarge the list of essential reasons for coming from the UK to France, notably professional reasons.
“And we have decided that at the next Conseil de défense we will consider whether we can entirely remove the restrictions put in the place at the border with the UK.”
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Off topic but relating to whether France is losing UK tourists.

Normal year: (thousands)
Spain 18,129
France 10,347
Italy 5,105
USA 4,805

2022 ABTA holiday intentions survey:
Top of the list is Spain, with 29.3% of respondents saying they plan to visit this year. In second place is the USA, where almost one in five (18%) say they plan to visit in 2022. France (17.8%), Italy (16.4%)

So French tourism will be badly hit by diminished UK numbers, halved in fact!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wishful thinking and all that, but if my trip to France goes ahead on the 15th of January - does anyone know the situation re Pass Sanitaire and Booster jabs?

https://www.skiclub.co.uk

"France now requires all those aged 65 and over who received a multi-dose vaccination more than 6 months and 15 days ago, to have received a booster dose to enter France and access bars, restaurants, etc., from 15th December 2021. The same rules will apply to all persons 18 and over from 15th January 2022 - all persons who received their final dose before June 17th 2021 must have received their booster by 15th January 2022 in order for their Pass Sanitaire to remain valid."

"Booster doses are becoming mandatory for all people over the age of 18 in stages between December and January 2022. Your first two doses of multi-dose vaccinations will only be valid for a period of 6 months and 15 days from your last dose. Restrictions will be imposed on specific age groups and vaccination recipients as below:

- From the 15th December 2021, those aged over 65 will have the validity of vaccines reduced to 6 months 15 days. This can be extended upon receipt of a booster jab.

- From 3rd January 2022, all those who received a single dose vaccination - such as Johnson & Johnson - will need a booster dose to remain valid

- From 15th January 2022, all persons aged 18 who have received a multi-dose vaccination will have the validity of their vaccine reduced to 6 months and 15 days. This can be extended upon receipt of a booster dose."

My second vaccine was end of August 2021. So reading this all should be fine? There are mixed messages and other interpretations online but cannot find confirmation of French GOV website? I plan on getting the booster soon, but how long does this take to show up on the NHS app? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charlie1314 wrote:
Wishful thinking and all that, but if my trip to France goes ahead on the 15th of January - does anyone know the situation re Pass Sanitaire and Booster jabs?

"France now requires all those aged 65 and over who received a multi-dose vaccination more than 6 months and 15 days ago, to have received a booster dose to enter France and access bars, restaurants, etc., from 15th December 2021. The same rules will apply to all persons 18 and over from 15th January 2022 - all persons who received their final dose before June 17th 2021 must have received their booster by 15th January 2022 in order for their Pass Sanitaire to remain valid."

"Booster doses are becoming mandatory for all people over the age of 18 in stages between December and January 2022. Your first two doses of multi-dose vaccinations will only be valid for a period of 6 months and 15 days from your last dose. Restrictions will be imposed on specific age groups and vaccination recipients as below:

- From the 15th December 2021, those aged over 65 will have the validity of vaccines reduced to 6 months 15 days. This can be extended upon receipt of a booster jab.

- From 3rd January 2022, all those who received a single dose vaccination - such as Johnson & Johnson - will need a booster dose to remain valid

- From 15th January 2022, all persons aged 18 who have received a multi-dose vaccination will have the validity of their vaccine reduced to 6 months and 15 days. This can be extended upon receipt of a booster dose."

My second vaccine was end of August 2021. So reading this all should be fine? There are mixed messages and other interpretations online but cannot find confirmation of French GOV website? I plan on getting the booster soon, but how long does this take to show up on the NHS app? Puzzled

Just get your booster. It shows up on the app within days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lower wrote:
charlie1314 wrote:

Just get your booster. It shows up on the app within days.

Cool okay - was concerned it would take 7 days+, some suggested at least 5 days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@charlie1314, sounds like you'll be fine (assuming you are under 65 and didn't have the J&J?!?). 2nd Jab at the end of August will take you to mid March. My booster showed up on my NHS app the day after I had it. Not sure how if there is a gap between having it, and it counting (like you used to need 2nd jab plus 2 weeks) though, but it sounds like a moot point for you anyway.

Edit: also worth nothing that the pass sanitaire is being replaced by the pass vaccine. Shouldn't effect you as it is just removing the ability to test negative.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 7-01-22 13:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmycb5 wrote:
@charlie1314, sounds like you'll be fine (assuming you are under 65 and didn't have the J&J?!?). 2nd Jab at the end of August will take you to mid March. My booster showed up on my NHS app the day after I had it. Not sure how if there is a gap between having it, and it counting (like you used to need 2nd jab plus 2 weeks) though, but it sounds like a moot point for you anyway.

Thanks - for safety sake, I might get the booster anyway and if it doesn't show up for a few days, it should hopefully present itself on the app at least by the time I arrive in France - assuming that we can go that is!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:

Edit: also worth nothing that the pass sanitaire is being replaced by the pass vaccine. Shouldn't effect you as it is just removing the ability to test negative.

The gap is 7 days under the french rules, for info, but agree it doesn't matter here, should be ok anyway.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skimum1 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

The gap is 7 days under the french rules, for info, but agree it doesn't matter here, should be ok anyway.

That is interesting, where in the rules is that mentioned?

My concern is that if I rely on the fact my second vaccine was administered end of August 2021, what happens if the timings change just before I leave or when I am in France... i.e the 6-7 month period following a second vaccine no longer applies
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
charlie1314 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Thanks - for safety sake, I might get the booster anyway and if it doesn't show up for a few days, it should hopefully present itself on the app at least by the time I arrive in France - assuming that we can go that is!

Why would you not get it? Surprised you've already have the first two but not bothered with the booster given the stats show that its protection really starts to fade after 5 months.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob_Quads wrote:
charlie1314 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Why would you not get it? Surprised you've already have the first two but not bothered with the booster given the stats show that its protection really starts to fade after 5 months.

I am planning on getting the booster but was not in a great hurry to book it in early January. This did not present to be an issue given skiing in France up until a few days ago seemed completely off the cards. I was planning on booking the booster in for mid-late January. Now that skiing on the 15th is a possibility, albeit slim, I will have to rethink this depending on the situation/requirement as it evolves.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skimum1 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

SFAIK it's 7 days from 2nd jab to PS, but from booster to PS is instantaneous. Just going on what I was told by the pharmacy in Chx. Could be wrong/mis-understanding as it wasn't an issue for us so I never checked the info.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charlie1314 wrote:

I am confused where this would leave a 13-year-old with only 1 jab and not enough time since first to get the second? Our friends pulled out of our joint trip, the main justification being it looked like they would be needing to take daily tests to get their son on the lifts. I totally understand that this is not workable, but wonder if they may have pulled the plug too soon? All their other concerns have since evaporated.... apart from the large elephant in the room of closed borders, but they pulled out before that was even a worry.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LaForet wrote:
Should we be starting a new thread called 'Actual information about the real regulations for travel to France' and rename this one 'Speculation in the absence of any actual changes to the current rules'?

I know, I'm as guilty as anyone of inducing thread drift. It's just that anyone looking for either feedback from actual journeys to France, or useful bulletins when the rules change isn't going to find it easily amid the discussion and speculation.

Yes.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
Should we be starting a new thread called 'Actual information about the real regulations for travel to France' and rename this one 'Speculation in the absence of any actual changes to the current rules'?

I know, I'm as guilty as anyone of inducing thread drift. It's just that anyone looking for either feedback from actual journeys to France, or useful bulletins when the rules change isn't going to find it easily amid the discussion and speculation.

Here you go: We're back from Méribel and I can report that for the French this Covid thingy is basically over. Restos, bars etc. stacked. Masks? No, thank you. Only when asked specifically by lift personel (which happens rarely) most people pull up for a second an odd buff or - even more useless - a ski mask with breathing holes. Toofy Grin
Not many Brits around but there were some. Some Germans as well, some Scandinavians and quite a lot of Dutch. But the place was very crowded especially over at VT, as there were a lot of French probably profiting off of cheaper than usual rent prices.
snow conditions
@Tristero, Aren't the Dutch supposed to be in a lockdown, presume they've ignored it and decided to drive to France!
ski holidays
@Tristero, the French are very freedom loving - I am surprised Johnson doesn't like them more.
latest report
4ddm wrote:
charlie1314 wrote:

I am confused where this would leave a 13-year-old with only 1 jab and not enough time since first to get the second? Our friends pulled out of our joint trip, the main justification being it looked like they would be needing to take daily tests to get their son on the lifts. I totally understand that this is not workable, but wonder if they may have pulled the plug too soon? All their other concerns have since evaporated.... apart from the large elephant in the room of closed borders, but they pulled out before that was even a worry.

It's looking increasingly like anyone over 12 without 2 x jabs won't be allowed to do anything in France (ski lifts, cafes, swimming pools, etc). The requirement for a booster is for 18+.

To clarify, from Jan 15th, it looks like the option to test for the pass sanitaire (or new pass vaccine) will be removed for anyone over the age of 12+ apart from in a few limited circumstances.
snow report
Thanks for confirming... was trying to get my head around it.
snow report
The following statement is on the gov.uk website. Is this still a thing? And do we think it will still be a thing if the expected relaxations are announced on 12th?

"Upon arrival in France, all travellers must self-isolate for 48 hours, after which time a negative PCR or antigen test is required to exit self-isolation."

My 18 year old is planning to go on 15th Jan and got his second jab between Christmas and NY. Clearly two days isolation will kybosh the holiday but if they're letting tourists back in, it would seem impractical to keep this restriction?
latest report
@Ski Tyke, I would tend to agree, but it's speculation at this stage.
ski holidays
@Ski Tyke, the 48 hours is as thing currently stands. If they open the border to UK people again, I can't see them keeping the quarantine in place as it would defeat the object. Just need to wait for next Wednesday's announcement now.
snow report
@charlie1314, I had my booster at 12 noon and it appeared on my NHS app overnight/early the following morning.
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
@Tristero, Aren't the Dutch supposed to be in a lockdown, presume they've ignored it and decided to drive to France!

I don't know. But I do know that there are real bargains to be had as a lot of Brits are letting their places. The Dutch can't resist that... Toofy Grin

Layne wrote:
@Tristero, the French are very freedom loving - I am surprised Johnson doesn't like them more.

As John Cleese once famously said in an interview with the BBC: "WWI & II were distractions, we basically hate the French." Blush
snow conditions
Montan wrote:
@charlie1314, I had my booster at 12 noon and it appeared on my NHS app overnight/early the following morning.

Thanks - that is good to know! I will find a walk in this weekend I expect and get it done anyway, just in case requirements change...
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
The balance of my February HT trip is due tomorrow of course I'll pay it if I don't we definitely wont be going just feels counterintuitive to hand over money for a country currently we cannot travel to Puzzled

In my experience what matters for insurance purposes is whether travel restrictions were in place at the time of booking the holiday not the time of paying for it. However in the worst case that travel restrictions were still to be in place at half term you would probably be offered postponement or a refund if you have booked through a UK tour operator. We were given the option of a full refund by Peak Retreats for our Christmas ski holiday but in the end were able to go ahead with the holiday by bringing it forward.

I would avoid handing over money to randox etc for outward and return covid tests until restrictions are eased as those costs would be harder to recoup if you couldn't travel. Hopefully the rumours about restrictions being eased later in Jan are correct.
latest report
New travel rules won't affect many people...waste of time in my opinion ....those supposed to be going on 22nd January Don't stand a chance
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got a package holiday booked to France for 15th January, company has just emailed saying they are not cancelling it as their sources strongly indicate that UK ski tourism will be allowed by then.
snow conditions
@Sparkles, Fingers crossed
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
New travel rules won't affect many people...waste of time in my opinion ....those supposed to be going on 22nd January Don't stand a chance

The general feeling over here is that on Wednesday an announcement will be made that tourism will be permitted from Friday 14th. I don’t know where it’s come from (Mairie?) but all the bar/resto staff/owners seem fairly confident of it…
snow conditions
https://www.politico.eu/article/france-loosens-up-travel-restrictions-from-and-to-uk/ It seems France have slowly started to relax their restrictions by adding business trips to the permitted reasons. Fingers crossed tourism will be added soon.
ski holidays
If there's a relaxation of restrictions announced on 12th Jan, will that be enough time for those booked for the 15th to book tests etc? As I doubt passage will be testing-free Puzzled
ski holidays
hodgkins wrote:
https://www.politico.eu/article/france-loosens-up-travel-restrictions-from-and-to-uk/ It seems France have slowly started to relax their restrictions by adding business trips to the permitted reasons. Fingers crossed tourism will be added soon.

The cynic in me reckons that was just to allow the Heineken Cup to proceed next weekend and remove doubt from the 6 Nations

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/champions-cup-given-green-light-to-proceed-after-travel-exemptions-agreed-but-covid-still-looms-large-41218458.html
latest report
I'm not entirely sure which tests to book for France now... are they going to take a US approach and just require antigen on arrival, or will I need a PCR 48hr before arrival, or LFT 24hrs before arrival

Complicated by the fact that I recently had COVID so don't want to take a PCR if at all possible in case of a false positive Puzzled
snow report
Tristero wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Here you go: We're back from Méribel and I can report that for the French this Covid thingy is basically over. Restos, bars etc. stacked. Masks? No, thank you. Only when asked specifically by lift personel (which happens rarely) most people pull up for a second an odd buff or - even more useless - a ski mask with breathing holes. Toofy Grin
Not many Brits around but there were some. Some Germans as well, some Scandinavians and quite a lot of Dutch. But the place was very crowded especially over at VT, as there were a lot of French probably profiting off of cheaper than usual rent prices.

Agree totally. Got PS checked by the local police coming back from VT yesterday (they were also searching bags for some reason), but aside from that, last time I got checked on the lifts was before Xmas. Bars and cafes don’t care - there was something muttered about “if we’ve checked you before and know you’ve got one, we don’t have to check” in one of the notable Apres spots… masks are out of the window totally (apart from if the health inspectors are lingering on the crossing by the chaudanne in which case it’s a moment of compliance followed by removal). The exception on masks seems to be the navettes and in supermarkets where compliance is universal. No idea why, but the navettes clearly hold a special place in everyone’s hearts…
snow conditions
Sparkles wrote:
I'm not entirely sure which tests to book for France now... are they going to take a US approach and just require antigen on arrival, or will I need a PCR 48hr before arrival, or LFT 24hrs before arrival

Complicated by the fact that I recently had COVID so don't want to take a PCR if at all possible in case of a false positive Puzzled

24hr LFT is the current for residents, but tourists from any other country are 48hr LFT.

Make of that what you will.
snow conditions
DidierCouch wrote:
If there's a relaxation of restrictions announced on 12th Jan, will that be enough time for those booked for the 15th to book tests etc? As I doubt passage will be testing-free Puzzled

If they’re Lateral Flow (and I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t be) then just order them now - you can always use them another time. And even if you can’t they’re only seventeen quid - testing for all.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
DidierCouch wrote:

If they’re Lateral Flow (and I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t be) then just order them now - you can always use them another time. And even if you can’t they’re only seventeen quid - testing for all.

Is it likely that the LFT test requirements are self-administered at-home kits or in centre/person? Presumably, and hopefully, the former...
latest report
They’ve always been self-administered but with a company “intertpreting the results” (ie you get a certificate) so all the private ones are ok. Although I have a feeling the “test to release” ones for the current 48hr isolation have to be done by a third party. But whenever they’ve had “tests to enter” before the self-test, take a photo ones have been fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy