Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
mitcva wrote:
It's clear that a lot of Brits are actively switching from France to other destinations. Even if Macron stopped his Brit-bashing restrictions sometime soon, French ski resorts are still going to miss out, because many people (especially those with families) have already made other arrangements. Of course, those who do make it may find emptier slopes than normal, so they may see that as a plus.

Is it?

I havent seen any actual numbers, although there are a fair few on here who are stating they are flipping to Italy etc.

However there are a heck of a lot of people who are on Tour Op trips who will be told to sit tight until it is clarified. Those people will probably end up in France in the half term.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New Essential reason just in :

“ Missions nécessaires à la poursuite d’une activité économique requérant une présence sur place (qui ne peut être différée).”

Missions necessary for the pursuit of an economic activity requiring an on-site presence (which cannot be postponed).

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/130418/1037980/file/06-01-2022-liste-motifs-imperieux-royaume-uni.pdf
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mishmash, don’t suppose you (or anybody else) could give an example of this sort of thing?

Would this be a workable example… transfer driver bring people through France to their hotel / flight…?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about taking a ski lesson?

Necessary for pursuit of an economic activity (ski instructors can't instruct without students), and requires on-site presence.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charliegolf, I over-simplified a bit out of grumpiness... I'd be going as an extra body on a chalet booking with a big group - for that we can basically get a refund right up to the last minute, so the group trip will go ahead if it's at all possible. But for me to go too I need to book housesitters in the UK, who I need to cancel today. I can always try to rebook last-minute, but better for now to plan on not going. (I do have bashes booked this season too, so it's not so very bad Very Happy )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's basically just work related, but would exclude anything that could, effectively be done at a distance or online.

I could be good news for anybody with chalets etc, who now might be able to travel to carry out repairs/maintenance.

It might exclude any occupation where there are local tradesmen available, so unlikely to include UK coach/transfer drivers as their passengers would not be allowed in anyway. EU drivers already available.

I think HGV drivers already have exemptions within the rules, so no change there.

Basically, not good news for anybody wanting to go on holiday, other than it's a positive rather than negative change.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
@mishmash, don’t suppose you (or anybody else) could give an example of this sort of thing?

Would this be a workable example… transfer driver bring people through France to their hotel / flight…?

Going to meet someone to instruct them to do maintenance work/ repairs
Going to sign documents that need to be witnessed for a house sale
Going to a meeting to demonstrate or receive a demonstration of a product.

Eg we need building work done at the end of the season and need to see physical samples .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like the only concession there is to allow the teams in the Heineken cup to come to France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My french is a bit ropey, but that doesn't exactly loosen the restrictions in any significant way at all...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope nothing changed much by the looks of it, are we supposed to sit here waiting for the 15th now to find out whether I might get a refund of Jet2 for my flight to GVA on the 22nd Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just noticed that not only SA but all the “scarlet” countries are now on France’s red list (meaning vaccinated travellers don’t need a compelling reason).

So the UK is now the only country in the world with these restrictions.

Which is, frankly, bonkers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's even more bonkers is that the french themselves are being prevented from coming to the UK by their very own government even though the UK govt is quite happy to let em in!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Examining the new flooring fitted in the mezzanine of an apartment to ensure the apartment is fit to rent out?

Asking for a friend. Cough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know when the next meeting is due to take place for the French Interior Ministry?

We're due to go to France on the 15th, was hoping we'd get some more info than we did today but seems like we're being drip fed info..

TIA
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ASA5505, I believe it's the 12th. Anyone's guess if anything will happen before then.

From what I can tell there is confidence holidays from the 15th are likely to go ahead but for that to happen an announcement needs to be made in next couple of days.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 6-01-22 14:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Examining the new flooring fitted in the mezzanine of an apartment to ensure the apartment is fit to rent out?

Your friend may have got away with it.... right up until the cough.
latest report
James77 wrote:
@ASA5505, I believe it's the 12th. Anyone's guess if anything will happen before then.

Cheers James, suppose that's better than nothing!

We unfortunately can't cancel until the last minute so may be booking a very last minute holiday to else ware if nothing changes on the 12th!
snow report
Where is everyone seeing this stuff about France? I can only find out of date stuff.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:

Now who was it said this was not politically motivated?
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
If relaxation occurs any thought on the testing regime required? Looking at current list for all colours PCR or antigen required within 48hrs though there is the "special" 24hr at the moment for UK travellers (who have a pressing reason).

Looking to get ducks in a row for a possible 15 Jan departure (fingers crossed) and will order some antigen tests.

That's a good issue to raise, though hopefully that too will be killed off.

Last week my OH flew to France and we had a visit from the Gendarmes the next morning, so in effect, she isolated (couldn't ski for 36hrs) then we went out to test the following day.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
Just noticed that not only SA but all the “scarlet” countries are now on France’s red list (meaning vaccinated travellers don’t need a compelling reason).

It is insane, the only reason I can think why this is is that it is useful leverage for some negotiation possibly taking place that we are not aware of...
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:

Small man syndrome and all that ...
snow conditions
Of Yesterday's French record positive tests 80% was from the delta variant and not omicron..so omicron is not running rampant..so the reason to block brits is ????
snow conditions
World in Data is showing 80% Omicron and 20% Delta for France yesterday.
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&facet=none&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=Variants&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Color+by+test+positivity=false&country=GBR~DEU~ITA~FRA
ski holidays
French newspaper fir the brits .the Connexion reported this yesterday...seems lots of rubbish out there..

""On January 5, it recorded 11,000 new cases over the past 24 hours, compared to a record 332,252 in France (yet, more than 80% of the tests sequenced in France still show the Delta variant).

In December 2021, the South African government said it had passed the peak of its Omicron wave, and said that the new variant had caused only a “marginal” rise in deaths, and made very little change to hospitalisation rates""
snow conditions
DJL wrote:

Yes we think that works , I would get a letter from whoever’s work you are checking , maybe saying to approve final payment etc
ski holidays
Connexion newspaper..
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Covid-19/France-lifts-quarantine-for-vaccinated-travellers-from-South-Africa
snow report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Of Yesterday's French record positive tests 80% was from the delta variant and not omicron..so omicron is not running rampant..so the reason to block brits is ????

I think that’s the wrong way round - I saw a post on France Info that said Omicron now 80%.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

maybe it was a brit who started a rumour about his man-wife
snow conditions
Castex quote from today - Omicron 70-80% of cases in France. They’ve stopped publishing the data recently but it was 62% last time they did iirc.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 6-01-22 15:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I'd be mightily worried if 80% of their 320k tests were of a more lethal variety Shocked

MAybe 80% of, I'm assuming, relatively small number of (random?) PCR tests sent for sampling?
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
I'd be mightily worried if 80% of their 320k tests were of a more lethal variety Shocked

MAybe 80% of, I'm assuming, relatively small number of (random?) PCR tests sent for sampling?

They’ve stopped publishing the data (as they have in UK). But Castex said 70-80% today.
latest report
yorkshirelad wrote:
Well if true that would be a call for continued closure - the idea being ensuring keeping Omicron out.

However the information on the ground is that, no, Omicron is already rampant in France, and that there soon won't be any reason to keep visitors from Britain out. Soon but unfortunately apparently not yet.

As for SA and other nations nearby, they seem to be way after the peak, with a better situation than France, so it makes sense to open.
snow report
@patrick!, but you can’t say that for the US, who are bang in the middle of an omicron AND delta wave with lower vax coverage. The UK decision makes no sense at all.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, It does make a degree of sense in that there would ordinarily be more visitors from the UK than the USA.
snow report
@GreenDay, I’d agree if there was something you were trying to keep out, but as all the epidemiologists say that once a virus/variant is in a community then there’s no point in travel bans, I don’t see any rationale for it. I know there’s a lot of traffic from UK to France but surely not more than the rest of the world combined?
ski holidays
Wondering if anyone had seen this post on planet ski and what your thoughts are...? Doesn't sound like it would work but worth considering..

'OK so for info, I legitimately flew to Geneva (Switzerland) on Boxing Day, and then took a road tfr to Val D’Isere. We had a fab week, and all perfectly legally. According to the French ministry website, travel is permitted from Switzerland and it does not distinguish according to your nationality or (importantly) where you have come from in the immediate past. Similarly, the Swiss ministry website confirms that provided that you are legitimately in Switzerland then you are legitimately allowed to pass across its neighbouring borders. Val was full of brits who had done same. Also met a party who had flown via Ireland… it was a complete non-issue, and the mountain folk were happy to have us. I guess some may say this isn’t in the spirit of macron’s UK border closure, but his actions weren’t in good spirit in the first place. Happy travels folks'
snow report
@andy from embsay, I get that, and I am fairly sure it will relax very shortly. I was meaning the initial rationale for the country with the strictest regulations. And I guess with the strictest regs means unpicking it may take a day or two longer?
snow report
@ASA5505, that’s entirely possible, and completely illegal. Lots of posts on this further up and (I think) a complete thread. Hopefully a non-issue shortly…
snow conditions
franga wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

He is 5’9”, same as the average height of a British man. Are you from a family of giants?!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy