Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
brovert wrote:
Anybody want some LFT predeparture and day 2 PCR tests cheap?

Wouldn't rush to sell, will likely change again for your summer holiday!

Or next week when we get a new variant/international political reaction to change the rules based on 0 science and evidence.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pre departure test gone..so has the 2 day PCR ..some good news at least....still got my PCR tests for sale.. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
Quote:

Unless I’ve missed something huge (and I’m sure I haven’t), testing is still valid for under 18s who are not fully jabbed for the pass sanitaire. They only removed the resting option for adults

Oooh - so my question surrounds whether this rule will carry over to the new vaccine pass that replaces the pass sanitaire?

Hmm. Having read further it remains unclear.

My son is due to have his second 3 weeks before half term. He just needs to avoid catching covid for 22 days now to be sure!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Warnergb7 wrote:
Quote:

Oooh - so my question surrounds whether this rule will carry over to the new vaccine pass that replaces the pass sanitaire?

That is my big question. Booked to go early April. My just-turned-12 year old will only be allowed second jab 3 days before we go. So at the minute, that leaves us a bit stuck if 12 year olds will also have to be fully vaccinated and have proof to be able to ski. I don’t care so much about the restaurants..

I was trying to follow the vax pass debate in France last night and I’m pretty sure they agreed to move the age limit from 12 up to 16.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

That is my big question. Booked to go early April. My just-turned-12 year old will only be allowed second jab 3 days before we go. So at the minute, that leaves us a bit stuck if 12 year olds will also have to be fully vaccinated and have proof to be able to ski. I don’t care so much about the restaurants..

Of course, that also doesn't take into consideration if they test positive between now and then - kids need to wait 12 weeks before a second dose! We don't care so much for eating out either - we do but only a few times. However, do like to stop for daily hot chocs! The pinch point will be if the new vaccine pass covers 'ski lifts'. Sort of hoping not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I was trying to follow the vax pass debate in France last night and I’m pretty sure they agreed to move the age limit from 12 up to 16.

Very interesting!! I'm also part of the 'travelling with teenagers this winter' thread and this hasn't been mentioned yet (obvs you said last night!). Will investigate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The detail of the relaxations for “professional reasons” will be interesting, mainly because of the date of implementation. If it’s Friday/Saturday then that’s helpful for next week (I’m assuming/praying tourism will be allowed for the vaxxed/boosted in the next relaxation) then that’s super helpful for people travelling at the weekend (which will hopefully be me!!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arrghhh! So they say they are changing things but won't say in what way? How is that helping anyone make plans? When they introduce changes for the worse for travel it's almost instant, but for the better...they won't say what? They must know. FFS.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The fact they are talking about extending the list of valid reasons is IMO quite disappointing. A family holiday is unlikely to be added to the list let’s face it, and if they were intending to remove U.K. from Red list they wouldn’t need to extend valid reasons list Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, Agree. The direction of travel seems reasonably positive for holidays later in the season, but it looks like we're headed into a new phase of (lighter) travel restrictions, which I imagine will last at least a few weeks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I think it's disappointing too given how riddled France is. For my own personal reasons I'd like valid reasons extended to include family visits, but that sounds unlikely.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Macron needs to a) have a word with himself and b) listen to all the disgruntled / long-suffering small business owners and resort management across the French Alps ... families who have bookings for France for February HT are not going to wait until the last minute to change their plans. I suspect if the French don't articulate their plans for February HT and beyond in the next couple of weeks the wave of cancellations will create a tsunami ... and we'll be part of that, we already have quotes from hotels in Austria and Switzerland (easyJet flights booked - they can be amended up until 2H before departure) who will welcome us with open arms.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kettonskimum1971, I hear that the move is towards keeping the option to get a negative test for 12-15 not doing away with it altogether.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd imagine the UK would be removed by Feb as there's a lot of British cash to be lost. However that doesn't help with planning as mentioned, esp as balances (like mine) will need paying. I'll be making an informed choice soon and more than happy to cancel if I don't feel comfortable with the most up to date French rules - there's no point in wishing/hoping so prefer to control the controlables.

Somehow I don't think this Feb will be as packed as normal so bound to be properties to rent last minute - fall back is then Easter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickyJ wrote:
The fact they are talking about extending the list of valid reasons is IMO quite disappointing. A family holiday is unlikely to be added to the list let’s face it, and if they were intending to remove U.K. from Red list they wouldn’t need to extend valid reasons list Sad

Putting us on the red list would be fine wouldn't it? It's the extra UK-specific rules that we need removing.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Putting us on the red list would be fine wouldn't it? It's the extra UK-specific rules that we need removing.

Oh really I thought we were just Red list?

2 days ago we pulled the plug on our booked France accommodation for half term. We had a large self catered chalet booked for a large group of mainly extended family. Main reason was 3 of the party (13 year olds) weren’t going to be double jabbed in time and those families weren’t prepared to do the daily testing. We have all lost our deposits because of that (not that high really… similar to the excess of travel insurance anyway and we all knew we were taking a risk but disappointing nonetheless)
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Oh really I thought we were just Red list?

2 days ago we pulled the plug on our booked France accommodation for half term. We had a large self catered chalet booked for a large group of mainly extended family. Main reason was 3 of the party (13 year olds) weren’t going to be double jabbed in time and those families weren’t prepared to do the daily testing. We have all lost our deposits because of that (not that high really… similar to the excess of travel insurance anyway and we all knew we were taking a risk but disappointing nonetheless)

No, the UK is "special":

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel
ski holidays
Now that we don't have to do a 2 day PCR ...seems we still have to do a passenger locator form and book the 2 day LFT as we were doing in October...
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, I think that entire list of countries and rationales requires a huge update.

Although we have some specific reasons to travel, the complexity they have engineered into that listing verges on the ludicrous (especially now, given the huge wave of covid inside France).

I suspect that they need time to work out what on earth to say - doesnt help anyone travelling this week, of course.
snow conditions
It will be interesting to see how whether the damage to the French ski industry continues into following seasons. My own guess is that a sizeable proportion of Brits who had to divert their holidays to places such as Italy may never come back to France.
snow conditions
My bet is that widening the criteria/reasons for visiting will be widening to include fully vaccinated people for tourist purposes, but restricting unvaxed.

This aligns with their internal narrative. I am way, way more hopeful than I was this time last week (or even this time Monday)
snow report
Whilst I have everything crossed so that I can drive through France in feb, I suspect that the (v unfortunate) ski businesses and us tourists are potentially lower down in the thinking of the french national government. Particularly when it comes to modelling hospital capacity against the omicron surge and making decisions. Put yourself in Macron's position if lots of injured skiers add to already inundated casualty facilities.
snow conditions
@andy_from_embassy if that turns out to be true re upping the age to 16 that would make my day. Until it changes again. Even if negative tests remain an option at this point I would take that. Was supposed to be in La Plagne this week and still not over that…
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Arrghhh! So they say they are changing things but won't say in what way? How is that helping anyone make plans? When they introduce changes for the worse for travel it's almost instant, but for the better...they won't say what? They must know. FFS.

I totally agree. It will be announced with short notice and there will be a mad scramble for flights!

We had hoped (unrealistically) that the rules might change in time to tag a France trip onto our Zermatt trip at the end of this week. But it now looks like we need to book a flight home on Saturday.

Then watch the France entry rules change a week later... rolling eyes

If we fly home on Saturday we will still need a PCR test as we land (rather annoyingly) 14 hours before the rules change.

And when we came back to the UK from France in December we were the first to need a PCR test, as we landed in the UK 15 hours too late for a lateral flow test!

You couldn't make it up! Sad
ski holidays
franga wrote:
Macron needs to a) have a word with himself and b) listen to all the disgruntled / long-suffering small business owners and resort management across the French Alps ... families who have bookings for France for February HT are not going to wait until the last minute to change their plans. I suspect if the French don't articulate their plans for February HT and beyond in the next couple of weeks the wave of cancellations will create a tsunami ... and we'll be part of that, we already have quotes from hotels in Austria and Switzerland (easyJet flights booked - they can be amended up until 2H before departure) who will welcome us with open arms.

Maybe many of these small business and resort owners are un-vaccinated. We now know what he intends if they are... He is ahead in the polls - first and second round - so this all seems to working ok for him.
latest report
22 dropout wrote:
franga wrote:

Maybe many of these small business and resort owners are un-vaccinated. We now know what he intends if they are... He is ahead in the polls - first and second round - so this all seems to working ok for him.

There is an extremely strong correlation between being an extreme (left or right) wing voter and being anti-vax. Those people would never have voted for Macron anyway.

In addition, he is an extremely smooth operator. There is no way that this was an un-calculated, off the cuff remark. I would imagine that this is related to forcing the Gaullist and (ex) FN party leaders to make their positions known. Probably they calculated that they could seriously discredit them, or split the right wing vote.

It is pretty bold (and not entirely to my taste), and I am curious to see what happens.
latest report
If visiting family is included, then I am sorely tempted to persuade my brother (who lives in SW France) to come and meet me in Montgenevre. He may 'forget' to come and meet me though.

I wonder if family includes my mate who I'm supposed to be going with, who I can pretend is my boyfriend? I'll need to hide my wedding ring though Laughing
snow report
Today 5/1/21

The French government spokesman, Gabriel Attal, made his comments in his weekly press briefing on Wednesday after a cabinet meeting.

Attal said that the French government had “decided to expand the list of compelling reasons – in particular professional reasons” for travel between France and the UK.

There was no mention of tourism and in particular skiing........

............Gabriel Attal added in his briefing on Wednesday that restrictions may be eased even further as early as next week, because the Omicron variant is affecting both countries in a similar way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MHskier wrote:
Put yourself in Macron's position if lots of injured skiers add to already inundated casualty facilities.

Well, while (Chamonix) bookings were a bit down over xmas/NY apparently, the numbers of first time ever skiers (not taking lessons) were apparently massively up, based on chum's observations. Which surely, in and of itself, can't have helped the casualty situation.
latest report
Come on Mr Frenchie, let us in. We have money & we want to give it to your economy.
snow conditions
No reason not to withdraw the ban today considering everywhere else in Europe is in a similar
situation and I understand the U.S can visit unvaccinated if they self isolate for ten days , daft
situation, now cancelling my 9th Jan trip to PDS. Message received loud and clear Mr Macron rolling eyes
snow report
Courtesy of Morzine Source Magazine,

"TRAVEL UPDATE: We hadn’t expected todays update from the French government to include much of an update re the UK > France border situation, but this afternoon a government spokesman announced that the list of compelling reasons for travel to France from the UK would be extended to include professional reasons for travel.

On tourism, a date for reopening the border will be discussed at the next defence council meeting (that's next Wednesday 12th we understand) to ‘globally lower’ the restrictions currently placed on UK travellers.

We get that this continued uncertainty is super frustrating for you (it's horrific for local business owners too, I promise you...) but today's announcements are a small move in the right direction. Keep those fingers and toes crossed for further positive updates very soon."

https://www.facebook.com/MorzineSourceMagazine
ski holidays
mitcva wrote:
It will be interesting to see how whether the damage to the French ski industry continues into following seasons. My own guess is that a sizeable proportion of Brits who had to divert their holidays to places such as Italy may never come back to France.

Doubt it; In this thread the number of times I've seen "we're holding a booking but we'll never come back if the French don't sort their poo-poo out" - cancel the booking and go somewhere else then if you're not wedded to France (but we know you secretly are hence why you've not gone somewhere else)

Similarly, "we've got a booking, but I've also got quotes for other places and I'll use them!" use them... cancel and move on, the French government aren't going to read a lowly ski forum to see if people are threatening to go somewhere else
latest report
With 332,252 new cases reported here today, I can't see Macron opening the borders to UK tourists any time soon........
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Courtesy of Morzine Source Magazine,

"TRAVEL UPDATE: We hadn’t expected todays update from the French government to include much of an update re the UK > France border situation, but this afternoon a government spokesman announced that the list of compelling reasons for travel to France from the UK would be extended to include professional reasons for travel.

On tourism, a date for reopening the border will be discussed at the next defence council meeting (that's next Wednesday 12th we understand) to ‘globally lower’ the restrictions currently placed on UK travellers.

We get that this continued uncertainty is super frustrating for you (it's horrific for local business owners too, I promise you...) but today's announcements are a small move in the right direction. Keep those fingers and toes crossed for further positive updates very soon."

https://www.facebook.com/MorzineSourceMagazine

Thank you for this, I can now plan accordingly, i.e cancel my apartment that needs to be paid for on Friday and consider keeping my Geneva flight and trying to get a crappy airbnb in Verbier or change to Zurich and try Laax, let's hope the Swiss don't do anything rash now!
snow conditions
A actually think these high numbers now is a positive (literally NehNeh ) high case number for the next two to three weeks then a huge drop. Hopefully
ski holidays
That'll probably be the case....
snow report
@Minion1980, we have cancelled ours and now booked to go to Italy. Our flights are also Geneva
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@Minion1980, we have cancelled ours and now booked to go to Italy. Our flights are also Geneva

Good luck, unfortunately I don't drive so I'm reliant on either public transport or reliable transfers, I might consider a tour op and move my flights to March instead, hmmmm.... Been a while since I went to the Dolomites, as a boarder I'd really like to try Laax though, I'm not aware of any tour ops that go there.
latest report
Well I've just received a reminder to check in for my Chambery flight on 15/01 Confused . Hoping Jet2 know something I don't!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy