Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@Snow&skifan, Interesting. A month ago we were doing nearly 3 x as many as the French, now around 50% more. Their testing rate has almost tripled in the last month.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowhound wrote:
@Snow&skifan, Interesting. A month ago we were doing nearly 3 x as many as the French, now around 50% more. Their testing rate has almost tripled in the last month.

Presume that is due to the pass sanitare requirements?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The French are also running mass school testing campaigns. I would imagine that there are enough of these to move the monthly average significantly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From The Guardian:

"Emmanuel Macron has prompted a furore after saying that his government’s vaccination strategy is to “wee wee off” people who have not had coronavirus jabs by continuing to make daily life more and more difficult for them.

“I am not about pissing off the French people,” the president said in an interview with readers of Le Parisien daily on Tuesday. “But as for the non-vaccinated, I really want to wee wee them off. And we will continue to do this, to the end. This is the strategy.”"

I like this guy more and more snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Definitely more negative after Johnson’s latest press conference.

219k infections today! I’m hoping this is a NYE outlier. Guess we’ll know in the next day or so.

NYE cases aren't included in the current figures really. Biggest day so far by specimen date is 29th Dec @ 226k. It'll be North of that this week, particularly with everyone back to school and work.

Still hoping that the French take the view that recently tested, vaccinated Brits wanting to go and spend money are a better shout than the locals now they're back to work.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feefee wrote:
@paul9619, yes we had flights to Geneva on Boxing Day we were not entitled to a refund as the flight was still going. We played ‘chicken’ until late Christmas Day in the hope they cancelled the flight but they didn’t so I took a voucher, pretty useless to us right now I’d rather have had the £2k back but hey ho.
It’s worth holding on as long as you can in case they cancel, there were 12 flights to Geneva out of Heathrow on Boxing Day, they cancelled 6 of them but sadly not ours!

This is one of the things concerning me , I’m due out of Southampton on Sunday to Geneva , I’ve already cancelled my accommodation and got a refund. Out of interest how long before the flight left was it cancelled ?

It worries me in the fact that if they cancel the flight on Sunday , I lose any new accommodation or have to scramble to try and get a flight from another airport.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 5-01-22 7:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmycb5 wrote:

219k infections today! I’m hoping this is a NYE outlier. Guess we’ll know in the next day or so.

Yeah, but you need to remember that includes 4 or 5 days reporting for NI (30,000) & 2 days reporting for Wales (22,000).
That accounts for 52,000 of the 219k infections.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andolini, some of the flights cancelled a few days before, there was one leaving half an hour after ours and I’m sure that was cancelled early Christmas Day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andolini, give your route I presume that is EasyJet? If they cancel you will be able to rebook and reckon they will at least have flights going out from other airports, to Geneva.

Obviously they will incur additional costs (travel, parking etc but where there is a will there’s a way)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Yeah, but you need to remember that includes 4 or 5 days reporting for NI (30,000) & 2 days reporting for Wales (22,000).

Thanks for that! I noticed it included those but didn’t know what they were in absolute numbers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
It was partly this thought that persuaded me to spend 5 hours at New Year sitting round a small table eating and (mostly) drinking with my two Covid-positive lodgers
Shouldn't your user name be changed to Rigsby? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
@andolini, give your route I presume that is EasyJet? If they cancel you will be able to rebook and reckon they will at least have flights going out from other airports, to Geneva.

Obviously they will incur additional costs (travel, parking etc but where there is a will there’s a way)

Yes EasyJet , flight is in at 18.15 so pushed for time to get to resort in Switzerland. It’s tricky as I can go
whenever but realistically the only time I can take my daughter as she has her exams in June .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

That makes a difference. Now just have to contend with schools going back and what that might bring. Still holding a sliver of hope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know what time the French update is due for
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today is the day the French set a date to lift ridiculous ban on UK tourists & later this week the UK government to remove the need for the 2 days before return test. Let’s hope so anyway Am I being a ‘tad’ optimistic
snow conditions
While not directly related to French update ; the BBC this AM were reporting that the UK government are about to remove the 'return to the UK' tests (shortly followed by Gillian Keegan, the Care Minister, saying "nothing has been communicated to me"!!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-01-22 10:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Jonny996, is there one due? not aware of one ...
latest report
I think today will be about domestic restrictions and vaccine passports that's been furiously debated in France I hope travel is covered but vaccine passports probably a bigger issue.
ski holidays
@James77, Nothing scheduled that I can see in Le Dauphine or Le Fig ??
snow conditions
@under a new name, Damm I thought it was today as the ban runs out on 15th
snow conditions
The 3 Valleys twitter account was responding to tweets yesterday and today saying they thought there was going to be an announcement today, but caveated by saying they have no inside info. My TO in La Tania also said they expect today, but it might just be a 3V rumour.
ski holidays
I believe there is due to be a meeting of the health council in France this afternoon, so that may, or may not be why people are expecting an announcement.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, It does run out on the 15th. There is a COVID meeting today from what I've seen vaccine passports are dominating discussion currently.
latest report
Johnson is due to do an announcement on the new French variant* at 3.30pm today.

Fingers crossed that Johnson doesn’t use this as an excuse to reciprocate the current French/U.K. travel ban.

*the new French variant that has been around longer than omicron, has only infected 12 people and pretty much every single epidemiologist/virologist I’ve seen disregard as something to worry about at the moment.
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Johnson is due to do an announcement on the new French variant* at 3.30pm today.

Fingers crossed that Johnson doesn’t use this as an excuse to reciprocate the current French/U.K. travel ban.

*the new French variant that has been around longer than omicron, has only infected 12 people and pretty much every single epidemiologist/virologist I’ve seen disregard as something to worry about at the moment.

Source?
snow report
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/01/04/new-ihu-b16402-covid-19-coronavirus-variant-detected-in-france/

Boris is speaking at 3.30 but nothing saying explicitly about this new (old) variant that only infected 12 people...
ski holidays
@James77 - if it runs out on the 15th, does that mean we can travel on the 15th or not until the 16th?
I know it's a very pedantic question, but my trip is currently for the 15th.
ski holidays
Minion1980 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Source?

On second reading, this could just be sky news stirring up a bit of fear.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-uk-latest-coronavirus-omicron-booster-jabs-nhs-12507015
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Runs out on the 15th -- but, it is not guaranteed to lapse ; could just as well be extended....
snow report
timlongs wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/01/04/new-ihu-b16402-covid-19-coronavirus-variant-detected-in-france/

Boris is speaking at 3.30 but nothing saying explicitly about this new (old) variant that only infected 12 people...

The BBC were trailing earlier that it would be more about relaxing the PCR requirements : I doubt they will even mention the IHU variant..
snow report
Macron's words in an interview yesterday has stirred dissent in the Gouvernement to the extent that discussions about the new Passe Vaccinale have fallen apart, so not too sure the UK ban is high on their to-do list

“Me, I'm not for pissing off the French. I plague the administration all day long when it blocks them. Well there, the unvaccinated, I really want to pi$$ them off. And so we will continue to do it, until the end, ” continues an Emmanuel Macron
ski holidays
@albob, yeah, think it is Sky just trying to get people worked up.

I wonder if the change to LTF will drop the day 2 PCR requirement too?
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Macron's words in an interview yesterday has stirred dissent in the Gouvernement to the extent that discussions about the new Passe Vaccinale have fallen apart, so not too sure the UK ban is high on their to-do list

“Me, I'm not for pissing off the French. I plague the administration all day long when it blocks them. Well there, the unvaccinated, I really want to pi$$ them off. And so we will continue to do it, until the end, ” continues an Emmanuel Macron

It may not be high on his to do list (understandably), but it runs out in a week so the french govt officials will certainly be on it in the next few days.
latest report
Pre departure testing for re entry up for discussion?

BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59877796
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Source?

On second reading, this could just be sky news stirring up a bit of fear.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-uk-latest-coronavirus-omicron-booster-jabs-nhs-12507015

Thanks for providing the source, there's been too many hit and run rumour posts in this thread recently which doesn't help anyone. I agree it does look like stirring up panic, I think it's more likely he'll announce removal of re-entry test. Just need the French to allow UK tourists back now... I have till tomorrow evening to pay for my apartment!
snow conditions
@Minion1980, same here 3V ‘Serenity’ cover requires me to cancel by 8 days before rental start. We are due there 15th! Taxi transfer, airport parking and flights all hang on this.
ski holidays
Interesting next few days. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for some positive news. The pre-departure testing for arrivals change would be a real step in the right direction.
snow report
AndyCooke wrote:
@James77 - if it runs out on the 15th, does that mean we can travel on the 15th or not until the 16th?
I know it's a very pedantic question, but my trip is currently for the 15th.

Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead - the decree expires on 15/1 but it may be lapsed, extended or otherwise modified on that day, hence the uncertainty for all with holidays booked for the next few weeks
snow report
Minion1980 wrote:

Source?

see, f'rinstance, https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1477005297403191296

"May I make a suggestion. This isn’t new. The preprint just got uploaded like two days ago but that’s it. If anyone does a Google search they’ll see this pops up as early as October/November https://deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/11/16/22785162/new-covid-19-variant-france-spike-protein-mutations and hasn’t done much. Omicron kinda blew this out of the water."

And https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1478130286072410118
ski holidays
Has anyone got a source for the supposed update on the 5th? Met the British Army leaders today who are out here trying to sort the minefield ( Laughing ) of logistics necessary to getting hundreds of soldiers and officers out here for their annual ski championships, they were saying at the moment they can't come, but there will *definitely* be an announcement on the 5th..........
I can't find anything other than it being bandied on here, but maybe there's some truth to it?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy