Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@ster I was aware they are not obliged to refund hence why I was asking if anyone had any luck under the circumstances.

Thanks @alti-dude. Fingers crossed can get at least a voucher.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there any real news about this:

"France Updates Travel Restrictions"? Shocked

There is so much noice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paul9619 wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from BA when flying into Geneva for a French ski holiday?

Due to go out on the 15th but have a feeling the flights won’t get refunded even if the restrictions are still in place.

I refunded about a dozen LON-GVA flights over the Xmas period. Some of them had been moved by BA (so full refund was available), others were refundable tickets, and some were non-refundable tickets so I either had to pay an admin fee or take the value as a voucher. No problem with any of them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@paul9619, if your ticket category does not allow for a refund at your behest, hold your nerve until later on, then BA might cancel and you get your money back. - best outcome

If they don’t cancel then just apply for a credit voucher being aware of when the deadline is to apply. They are easy enough to apply for on line but you must follow the steps BA set out, don’t just go into the booking and cancel.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hyst wrote:

There is so much noice.

I think the noise is the scrape of collective straw clutching and the combined hum of wishful thinking.

In summary, I think this is where we're at:

There's no logical reason to carry on with the ban but Boris doesn't like Emmanuel and Emmanuel doesn't like Boris so this could run and run.

Macron might say something relevant on the 5th but he might not. He's got elections and a troubled parliament, we are to him as belly-fluff to the mountains.

Some people are doing some clever things with planes, trains and automobiles. Wings and prayers seem to be involved.

When the deadlock breaks, the whooping and hollering will be heard in all corners of these pages.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just had the FR 48hr + PCR results but had a 4 hour wait in Q yesterday. One person doing everything.
2 negatives and wallet €177 lighter. Released from Q, CH tomorrow and PCR also good for CH entry.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@paul9619,
With all the concerns over returning via Geneva from the Psb, I booked a back up flight from Lyon, just before heading to the airport.

Cancelled this for a voucher on the Friday morning before return. No problems. Just logged into my account and followed the links.

I think you can do this up to a couple of hours before the flight, but might as well do it just before the online checkin is available.

As suggested above, hold your nerve. BA may cancel it and consolidate flights (maybe because not enough passengers to make it cost effective), then you can get a refund. If not, just defer for a voucher 48 hours before due to fly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pieandrun wrote:
Hyst wrote:

There is so much noice.

I think the noise is the scrape of collective straw clutching and the combined hum of wishful thinking.

In summary, I think this is where we're at:

There's no logical reason to carry on with the ban but Boris doesn't like Emmanuel and Emmanuel doesn't like Boris so this could run and run.

Macron might say something relevant on the 5th but he might not. He's got elections and a troubled parliament, we are to him as belly-fluff to the mountains.

Some people are doing some clever things with planes, trains and automobiles. Wings and prayers seem to be involved.

When the deadlock breaks, the whooping and hollering will be heard in all corners of these pages.

To be fair, the thread started in late November and was about the update to French travel restrictions because of Omicron back then.

There has be a LOT of speculation and straw clutching since then. In fact, I have a massive handful of straws, which I'm hoping to exchange for a French ski trip on 20th Jan. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
colinstone wrote:
Just had the FR 48hr + PCR results but had a 4 hour wait in Q yesterday. One person doing everything.
2 negatives and wallet €177 lighter. Released from Q, CH tomorrow and PCR also good for CH entry.

We had same issue with getting our Day 0-2 Return to U.K. PCR yesterday. We had a slot booked at DAM health but was total chaos with everyone being asked to join the back or the very long queue. Door person and receptionists were having to take a lot of abuse. We spent £400 for 4 on today on all tests but at least we managed to get away and results all back negative waiting 24 hours.

Reports from Chatel today that many mountain restaurants and the leisure centre / pool have had to shut due to Covid staff shortages. Holiday season is winding down this week. I know of 2 Brit families who passed their pre-departure tests but kids started having symptoms not long after arriving in France and self-tested positive causing under the radar quarantining.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just on news...

France could announce close to 300,000 new Covid-19 infections on Tuesday, the country’s health minister has said Olivier Veran has said.

Only last week Mr Veran predicted cases could reach 250,000 a day by the start of January

Don't think they will loosen the travel rules Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@yorkshirelad, yikes. Wonder why they're so much worse that the UK now?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The positivity rate is about 16.5 % in France at the moment. You’d be nuts to travel right now. Hopefully things blow over in a few weeks. I can imagine that early Feb will ~coincide with the next trough in case numbers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yorkshirelad wrote:
Just on news...

France could announce close to 300,000 new Covid-19 infections on Tuesday, the country’s health minister has said Olivier Veran has said.

Only last week Mr Veran predicted cases could reach 250,000 a day by the start of January

Don't think they will loosen the travel rules Sad

No, but the wave might pass quicker (trying to look at bright side...)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely more negative after Johnson’s latest press conference.

219k infections today! I’m hoping this is a NYE outlier. Guess we’ll know in the next day or so.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No mention of changes to the travel rules. Will be in place for Feb Half term me thinks.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:

219k infections today! I’m hoping this is a NYE outlier. Guess we’ll know in the next day or so.

Probably a good few who tested positve on home lft but held off pcr until Nye had passed and now have 7 days extra holiday. Not that I'm a cynic
latest report
Jet2 have now cancelled Flights for 8th jan Manchester/Grenoble we are supposed to be going on 15th we would like to change flights or refund they won’t do either if nothing changes tomorrow I’ll just cancel getting really pissed off
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
Was chatting to a ski shop owner in France and they reckon Brits account for around 40pct of their revenue. Brits tend to spend a lot on accessories and clothing such base layers and correct goggles etc while in the store, while the French kids are already decked out head toe in Wedze / Decathlon kit. The Dutch did backfill a little this year as many had to divert their usual trips for Austria back to France as I understand not all had the mandated 3 jabs required to ski in Austria.

according to under a new name, brits only make up 10% the revenue.

Steve Angus, our man on the spot (resident and ski instructor) in Val D'Isere said that Brits account for over 40% of the revenue there; and others have said that we are known to spend far more in bars and restaurants than the French.

One of the French newspapers (that someone kindly reported on here) reported that the French ski areas are regarding the Brit ban as a catastrophe, with other ski areas also averaging (IIRC) over 40% of their income from us Brits Sad .
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:

Today’s figures include 4 days worth of Northern Ireland figures and 2 days worth of Welsh figures..
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, it’s not very homogeneous.

If you look at the Dauphine stats, uk is about 13% overall.

Obvs some places more uk focused than others.
snow report
Quote:

No mention of changes to the travel rules. Will be in place for Feb Half term me thinks.

I believe maybe so too however perhaps only from a UK perspective. Wouldn't be surprised if France demands 3 jabs for adults and 2 jabs for kids for resort tourism. Esp as infections are increasing. What with schools going back, rates are only going to go one way.

I've got until 14 Jan to throw in the towel for Feb half term and not lose any money. Gut feeling is telling me to go for Easter.
latest report
Clearly some holiday averaging to do but 543,000 cases declared in France today.
From santepublique.
latest report
Quote:

Obvs some places more uk focused than others

I suspect a lot of British skiers don't realise that. There are resorts where you'd probably turn round and have a look if you heard English behind you in a lift queue (though in many of them you'd be unluckier to find a lift queue than a band of Brits).
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
Clearly some holiday averaging to do but 543,000 cases declared in France today.
From santepublique.

France 24 reporting 270,000 cases today so not sure which is right

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220104-france-s-daily-covid-19-cases-top-270-000
snow conditions
@yorkshirelad, At this rate (and given they are testing around half what we are), it is the UK who should be banning people entering from France if we follow their December logic.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Obvs some places more uk focused than others

I suspect a lot of British skiers don't realise that. There are resorts where you'd probably turn round and have a look if you heard English behind you in a lift queue (though in many of them you'd be unluckier to find a lift queue than a band of Brits).

Quite!
ski holidays
mmm anyone had any experience of travelling from GVA to Chambery by train... any interrogations by the French? being hopeful son will make it out to 3 vallees on Friday .....
snow report
With European rates rising so much my concern would not be getting to France, or more likely Italy, Austria or Switzerland but increased likelihood of catching Covid out there and having the cost and inconvenience of two weeks’ quarantine before returning home. I wonder if insurance companies are backtracking over their quarantine policies?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@On the rocks, Pre-return LFTs are in practice voluntary and can be 'fudged' if necessary by running it under the tap and then taking a photo of the resulting negative with your passport. I am sure many will spit with righteous indignation but they are pretty pointless anyway at this infection stage.
snow conditions
All numbers for many countries will be slightly false for at least the early part of the week, due to holidays, admin etc.

Check out the numbers on here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Either people didn’t get tested or reporting is delayed. To be fair France (and indeed many European countries) report low or no numbers at a weekend

Same applies to UK numbers, the numbers are false and should be reallocated but I’m not sure ‘they’ can do that

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 4-01-22 19:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The way the numbers are heading it's probably not worth travelling at all, until you've recovered from omicron rolling eyes
snow report
@HilbertSpace,
Quote:

The way the numbers are heading it's probably not worth travelling at all

Or, it actually won't male any difference at all?

@NE1, Our World in Data is, IMHO, a far better source.

@On the rocks, what @snowhound, said.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@HilbertSpace,
Quote:

The way the numbers are heading it's probably not worth travelling at all

Or, it actually won't male any difference at all?

@NE1, Our World in Data is, IMHO, a far better source.

@On the rocks, what @snowhound, said.

Oh I used to check that for vaccine numbers, I didn’t realise they keep case data too, thanks
snow report
Quote:

The way the numbers are heading it's probably not worth travelling at all, until you've recovered from omicron

It was partly this thought that persuaded me to spend 5 hours at New Year sitting round a small table eating and (mostly) drinking with my two Covid-positive lodgers. I didn't catch it though - or not yet (testing daily). But we don't yet know what kind of immunity you get from being recovered from Omicron, do we?
ski holidays
@pam w, with hindsight should you have snogged them? Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
@paul9619, yes we had flights to Geneva on Boxing Day we were not entitled to a refund as the flight was still going. We played ‘chicken’ until late Christmas Day in the hope they cancelled the flight but they didn’t so I took a voucher, pretty useless to us right now I’d rather have had the £2k back but hey ho.
It’s worth holding on as long as you can in case they cancel, there were 12 flights to Geneva out of Heathrow on Boxing Day, they cancelled 6 of them but sadly not ours!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 4-01-22 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@NE1, depending on what they can source, very wide sets of numbers, and much easier to navigate, eg https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&uniformYAxis=0&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=Cases%2C+hospital+admissions%2C+ICU+patients%2C+and+deaths&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Color+by+test+positivity=false&country=FRA~GBR~CHE
snow conditions
My wife took my daughter to Geneva airport today from France, in a UK car. Nobody checking on her return back across the border.
latest report
@snowhound, How many are the French testing daily?
snow report
zzz wrote:
@snowhound, How many are the French testing daily?

(Assuming not a rhetorical question) the French carry out 1,025,000 tests each day (7 day rolling average) according to worldindata and worldometer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy