Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@mrs_frostee, i bloody hope so.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@backhojo, I'll second that.

I found this forum very useful to understand the very fluid rules over the past few weeks and successfully complete a trip to the Alps before Christmas. Moaning about the rules implemented by each country or speculating about the reason they were implemented does very little to help move forward.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How feasible would it be to just fly into Geneva and cross the border by land? By taxi, train or bus or something?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimboobo wrote:
How feasible would it be to just fly into Geneva and cross the border by land? By taxi, train or bus or something?

Discussed many times before. Possibly easy, but potentially extremely risky. There are unverified accounts of rule breakers having their passports stamped “no entry to France for 5 years”.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jimboobo wrote:

I appreciate you don’t want to scroll through 57 pages of discussion but your question has been covered many many times already Eh oh! .
Just go back 2 or 3 pages / to ensure you get the latest options and various wheezes people have done or are considering to get to their desired location, and I’m sure you’ll find the answer you want.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It all depends on case numbers, ours appear to be dropping IF that continues and France follows the same pattern then I think the 15th is a real possibility
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robs1 wrote:
It all depends on case numbers, ours appear to be dropping IF that continues and France follows the same pattern then I think the 15th is a real possibility

Numbers quoted over Christmas and NY dont really bear any resemblance to reality - it will need a few days for the data to flush through.

I remain hopeful though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robs1 wrote:

This isn't exactly true. It doesn't depend on case number per se, it depends on Omicron prevalence. The whole point of the French ban was to slow down the spread of Omicron in France. The case numbers don't matter - they are similar to France anyway. It's the variant of COVID that matters.

Omicron is now dominant in both countries, so we should see the restriction removed regardless of what happens with case numbers. This is why Germany is removing the ban on the UK this week, even though we have higher case numbers than them currently.

Having said that, the parts of London that were first hit by Omicron are almost certainly past the peak already, see attached graph screenshot for Wandsworth taken today.

London as a whole is a little behind Wandsworth, and the rest of the UK a bit more behind again, so we may not have seen the peak in cases quite yet for this wave. But it should be soon.

Link for Wandsworth test data

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@musehead, ooh, nice one. I live in Wandsworth. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In encouraging news (at least from a direction-of-travel perspective), the BBC is reporting that France has cut the isolation period for infected/vaccinated from 10days to 7days, or 5 if a negative test is received at that point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, indeed. And I believe France has stopped sequencing to gauge omicron prevalence, it being a bit pointless now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am considering hot air balloon from Wandsworth to Belgium, rickshaw down to Switzerland and then a socially distanced elephant, with negative lateral flow, over the alps and into France.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pieandrun, I am impressed by your imagination.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A new variant is worrying scientists following an outbreak in southern France.

Twelve patients in the region have so far tested positive for the strain, which showed an 'atypical combination', reports the Express.

The index case had returned from travelling to Cameroon, suggesting it may have originated in the African country.

In a preprint paper, that is yet to be peer-reviewed, experts from a French government-back programme said they had identified '46 mutations' in the variant.

The variant has been given the name B.1.640.2 and was first detected by experts at the IHU Mediterranee Infection in Marseille.

The new variant in Covid-19 patients from Forcalquier, in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence region, was announced last month.

While new variants discovered all the time, it does not necessarily mean they will be more dangerous than Delta or Alpha.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Twelve patients in the region have so far tested positive for the strain, which showed an 'atypical combination', reports the Express.

The index case had returned from travelling to Cameroon, suggesting it may have originated in the African country.

In a preprint paper, that is yet to be peer-reviewed, experts from a French government-back programme said they had identified '46 mutations' in the variant.

The variant has been given the name B.1.640.2 and was first detected by experts at the IHU Mediterranee Infection in Marseille.

The new variant in Covid-19 patients from Forcalquier, in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence region, was announced last month.

While new variants discovered all the time, it does not necessarily mean they will be more dangerous than Delta or Alpha.

Well f*£k. Let's hope it fizzles to nothing.

Edit: It only seems to be reported in the Express and various sub rags like Wales online, so it's probably utter bollax and not of any concern at all at the moment.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 3-01-22 14:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
robs1 wrote:

Not so sure about that. 209k cases (so far) from 29th Dec (4 days after Christmas Day when everyone mixed). Won't be a complete day until Wednesday because of the bank holidays in Scotland.

Regardless though, you'd hope that France are looking at who's more likely to be spreading it given case rates are largely the same in both places at the moment. You'd think a tourist who's at least double jabbed and just tested negative is lower risk than a random local who's just got a Health Pass from a vaccine ages ago.

Hoping against hope that they relax it for the 15th (although it's sods law that one of us will get Covid or Boris will shut the borders if France relax the rules).
snow report
That story is from 10th December...............

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1534321/covid-new-variant-found-france-marseille-hospital-forcalquier-ihu-b16402-omicron#conversation-wrapper
ski holidays
GreenDay wrote:
That story is from 10th December...............

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1534321/covid-new-variant-found-france-marseille-hospital-forcalquier-ihu-b16402-omicron#conversation-wrapper

10th of December is some time ago …hopefully it’s fizzled out
ski holidays
@snowqueen50, My point was that it was being reported here (and on another thread) as if it was "breaking news".
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:

Totally agree - I think we’ll be back out to France in a few weeks Smile. It would be good to make use of our season passes we bought just before we came home for Christmas and then couldn’t go back rolling eyes
snow conditions
GreenDay wrote:
@snowqueen50, My point was that it was being reported here (and on another thread) as if it was "breaking news".
yes - understood Smile
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@Minion1980, I expect more internal restrictions in France, but can’t see any logical reason for keeping the U.K. red listed.

I may be wrong, and/or they may chose illogical reasons to keep U.K. red listed. Either way, it’s worth waiting to see what happens after the 5th.

Yeah I'm holding on for now but it all seems to be so much hard work and worry to go away anywhere right now, I really need a holiday too, it's been 2 years.
ski holidays
[quote="andmelffion"]
RobinS wrote:
Can someone please confirm for me what the pass sanitaire rules are going to be from the 15th please?
We are currently in Spain, so can travel to France, but have been here long enough that we couldn't get boosters before we came. To get boosters we would need to go back to the UK, but then we couldn't go to France at all.
My understanding is that our QR codes of second jabs will no longer be valid as it will be more than six months old + what does this mean in practice - no skiing presumably? If we stayed longer in Spain would we still be able to transit France in the campervan with out of date QR codes?
I realise this is probably all covered somewhere, but I am losing the will to live trying to keep up with multiple country rules and testing requirements!

If you had your 2nd jab more than 6 months ago you will not be able to access any public spaces unless you have had your booster after the 15th January ( if you are over 65 that rule came into effect on 15th December). You can transit France to return to the U.K. as rules currently allow but doesn’t sound like much fun…

I've been checking this morning because although I had uploaded all three of my jabs (and a recovery QR code from back in July) I on to the Tos AntiCovid app I can no longer find it in "my wallet": I used to be able to see them a couple of weeks or so ago.
My NHS QR codes run out on on 6th Feb which is during our planned holiday in La Plagne (fingers crossed). From what I can gather, the QR code updates automatically when you log in at expiry but I don't want to chance that not knowing what the wifi connections or data roaming is like. I think that you can scan your orginal QR code to update it as well. It seems as though a paper pass from the NHS has a QR code that is valid for 30 days from issue so I'm going to wait and print it out so that it is valid until after we get back just in case the NHS QR doesn't update and some eagle eyed official sees that the QR isn't valid when they scan it. I realise that the French accept the NHS app, which is rather surprising given all the other things that they don't like, but I prefer to have the Tous AntiCovid app as they are used to seeing that format which would make it a bit easier. I think that I will have to upload new QR codes to the Tous Anti Covid app when I get the updated NHS ones - hopefully by then we will know if we are allowed to go and I will have got my new blue passport as my present one expires at the end of July but it isn't quite 6 months validity.
snow conditions
[quote="Tykebike"]
andmelffion wrote:
RobinS wrote:
Can someone please confirm for me what the pass sanitaire rules are going to be from the 15th please?
We are currently in Spain, so can travel to France, but have been here long enough that we couldn't get boosters before we came. To get boosters we would need to go back to the UK, but then we couldn't go to France at all.
My understanding is that our QR codes of second jabs will no longer be valid as it will be more than six months old + what does this mean in practice - no skiing presumably? If we stayed longer in Spain would we still be able to transit France in the campervan with out of date QR codes?
I realise this is probably all covered somewhere, but I am losing the will to live trying to keep up with multiple country rules and testing requirements!

If you had your 2nd jab more than 6 months ago you will not be able to access any public spaces unless you have had your booster after the 15th January ( if you are over 65 that rule came into effect on 15th December). You can transit France to return to the U.K. as rules currently allow but doesn’t sound like much fun…

I've been checking this morning because although I had uploaded all three of my jabs (and a recovery QR code from back in July) I on to the Tos AntiCovid app I can no longer find it in "my wallet": I used to be able to see them a couple of weeks or so ago.
My NHS QR codes run out on on 6th Feb which is during our planned holiday in La Plagne (fingers crossed). From what I can gather, the QR code updates automatically when you log in at expiry but I don't want to chance that not knowing what the wifi connections or data roaming is like. I think that you can scan your orginal QR code to update it as well. It seems as though a paper pass from the NHS has a QR code that is valid for 30 days from issue so I'm going to wait and print it out so that it is valid until after we get back just in case the NHS QR doesn't update and some eagle eyed official sees that the QR isn't valid when they scan it. I realise that the French accept the NHS app, which is rather surprising given all the other things that they don't like, but I prefer to have the Tous AntiCovid app as they are used to seeing that format which would make it a bit easier. I think that I will have to upload new QR codes to the Tous Anti Covid app when I get the updated NHS ones - hopefully by then we will know if we are allowed to go and I will have got my new blue passport as my present one expires at the end of July but it isn't quite 6 months validity.

Your NHS covid pass for travel purposes renews daily with a 30 day expiry date..mine today for example expires 3rd February so tomorrow will be 4th etc etc. All you need to do is wait until closer to your travel date and download a paper copy to take with you and to also scan into the tous anti covid app.
snow conditions
Thanks, that is what I plan to do.
ski holidays
Tykebike wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
RobinS wrote:

The QR codes from the NHS App in England usually have a 1 month validity, so I'm surprised yours don't expire until 6th Feb. Are you sure you have this date right? If the date is in the past this might explain why they've vanished from TAC.

Either way, assuming you're using the NHS App in England it generates new QR codes with a 30 day validity every time you log in. Today, my app offers me QR codes with an expiry of 2nd Feb.

In terms of what the French prefer, I found they were delighted with a printed and laminated QR code from the NHS App, which avoided having to fish around for a mobile phone and unlock it. I recently heard of someone attaching such a QR code to their helmet, which would further increase efficiency.
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:

Is it too far or not an option to get additional jabs in Gibraltar?
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:

This is reported as new but it’s because the paper on it has just been published. It first cropped up in November and has almost certainly been superseded by Omicron. Chise (immunologist on Twitter) posted about it. https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1477005297403191296?s=21
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear. Sunweb have just pulled the plug on travel for the 15th. I guess Austria here we come.
latest report
@Pompeyc, at least you know now - where were you going?
snow report
@Pompeyc Austria has 10pm curfews and you need to be triple jabbed btw.
latest report
Hi, sorry if this is a question already discussed/asked in previous pages.. Due to travel to Grand massif in Feb half term.. am I being unrealistic do you think holding out for this ridiculous travel ban to be lifted.. Passo tonale is looking rather tempting right now ..
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

This is reported as new but it’s because the paper on it has just been published. It first cropped up in November and has almost certainly been superseded by Omicron. Chise (immunologist on Twitter) posted about it. https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1477005297403191296?s=21

Yeah, bizarrely WalesOnLine reported it today & ripped it from Express (hence the ‘reports the express’) - but WoL reported about it 10th Dec!
snow report
@andy from embsay, journalists, eh?
ski holidays
@nickielmoore, depends a little on how long you can wait before you can cancel without incurring any penalties. Personally I think restrictions will be lifted by Feb, but wouldn't be surprised if there are still in place for a couple more weeks - but it's just a personal opinion at this point
latest report
nickielmoore wrote:
Hi, sorry if this is a question already discussed/asked in previous pages.. Due to travel to Grand massif in Feb half term.. am I being unrealistic do you think holding out for this ridiculous travel ban to be lifted.. Passo tonale is looking rather tempting right now ..

I don't think anyone can answer this for you. I am in the same boat incidentally and don't think you are being unrealistic. 15th Jan suggested as a potential relaxation date but only based on the current restrictions being put in place for a month on the 15th Dec.

Just keep checking and think positive. I guess you are travelling with kids, which makes it extra hard as takes 4 weeks to mobilise the troops at the best of times!
snow report
@4ddm, I’m banking on hearing something in advance (slightly) of the 15th one way or another. If the original decret was a month (and I’m struggling to find confirmation of that though I have it seared on my brain) then they’d presumably need to extend or expire it a few days before.

Or they might just change it on a random day, like adding USA to their red list as they did over the weekend!
latest report
Thanks.. hard to know what to do isn't it. especially with Little ones in tow! Let's hope more news this week.
ski holidays
Yes... I think that even if I get to a point where we are in the car on our way, I will not be 100% sure we won't get there to find everything has changed and the lifts are closed. Just trying to believe it will happen and stay positive at the moment.

Whilst I would welcome a change sooner rather than later, you then enter the realms of what else can change! Very Happy
snow report
@nickielmoore, How are you planning to get to your holiday? self drive? Are your kids fully vaccinated or young enough that they don't need to be?
In your situation I would wait a bit longer re: Grand massif at half term and if nearer the time restrictions haven't been eased I'd consider moving the holiday to Easter as skiing in the Grand Massif can be enjoyable then and less crowded than at half term.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy