Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
The Covid situation could effect the travel restrictions (or the prospect of them being lifted), so there is a small argument that some of this general Covid chat is relevant. It's difficult to make the case for weather updates on this chat though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmycb5 wrote:
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
@timlongs, I think there is a vocal minority here who "need" to blame someone else - whether it's the French, Scottish, or Germans or whatever.

The pattern isn't that difficult to discern, and as you say smacks of the readership of certain periodicals...........

and an even more vocal one that has to drag scotch nationalism into every topic.

Let's see how long it is until your sock puppets arrive, it'll be like the countdown to new year... Ten...

Scotch is something you should have been drinking last night, Scottish is what you call someone from this part of the world - unless, of course, you are merely demonstrating your inadequate grammar to the rest of the world.!

From my, fairly old, Collins Dictionary (published in Glasgow so beyond any form of criticism), "Scotch means the same as Scottish.". The online version includes this along with "This use is considered incorrect by many people".

As one of your (more deranged) alter egos would rage, FACTS MATTER!

Regardless of what your dictionary says, it is not the done thing to refer to anything Scottish as Scotch. Scottish people don't like it, and they should be the sole arbiters of what is acceptable.

I say that as someone who was born in Scotland and half of my family are Scottish.

To be fair, it is better than the current term in use in the army, which is ‘porridge w*gs’ snowHead

I’ve always taken ‘Scotch’ in the manner which it was intended, as a wee wee take between neighbours snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stodge wrote:
The Covid situation could effect the travel restrictions (or the prospect of them being lifted), so there is a small argument that some of this general Covid chat is relevant. It's difficult to make the case for weather updates on this chat though.

Yes, fully agree that the Covid situation could affect travel restrictions etc. There's a whole thread devoted to that though:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150990

much like there are threads devoted to the weather etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Press in Austria reporting France are tightening their rules. Caveat I have no idea what the rules are currently.
'On Monday, a bill to tighten the rules for unvaccinated people is due to be voted on in the Chamber of Deputies in Paris . The assumption is considered certain. Probably from January 15, people over the age of twelve will be required to have a corona vaccination for various leisure activities and for access to restaurants, bars, trade fairs and national public transport . A negative test is then no longer sufficient.'
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris_n wrote:
Press in Austria reporting France are tightening their rules. Caveat I have no idea what the rules are currently.
'On Monday, a bill to tighten the rules for unvaccinated people is due to be voted on in the Chamber of Deputies in Paris . The assumption is considered certain. Probably from January 15, people over the age of twelve will be required to have a corona vaccination for various leisure activities and for access to restaurants, bars, trade fairs and national public transport . A negative test is then no longer sufficient.'

It was in the news the other week

https://www.thelocal.fr/20211220/what-changes-when-frances-health-pass-becomes-a-vaccine-pass/?amp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems weird the French are doubling down on their Health Pass, given that omicron largely evades immunity from the vaccine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
News from the ground today (well, Avoriaz) - odd crowd of French, Dutch and German families. I spoke to a few English speaking guys and found out in independent occasions that they were Irish (but one group from London). Lots of people everywhere, I guess the nice weather got them all looking for last minute deals - surely that's what our friends did, they stay for another week.

Altogether you could ignore the general situation, especially as many don't wear masks or even sport a buff (compared to 2-3 weeks ago).

In any case everyone expects the sanitary ban on Brits to end soon - and that nice corner of PdS returning to normality.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HilbertSpace, Presume it is a push to get people vaccinated like most of these 'health passes'. May not do much to stop transmission but stops people who are ill with Covid clogging up hospitals. That said, I am not sure why you'd be pushing vaccines to under 25s (or so) given they are at tiny risk of going into hospital with Covid in the first place.
I suppose making vaccine passports mandatory for over 50s only might be a step too far even for France.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
patrick! wrote:
In any case everyone expects the sanitary ban on Brits to end soon - and that nice corner of PdS returning to normality.

That's the news I hope for - and don't often get - from this thread. Is there any basis for thet view though?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@yorkshirelad, Yes we have - for JAN 15th! Had an e-mail from them on Wednesday & full refund already received! 10% discount offer for future bookings. We have another week booked for March so everything crossed that’ll go ahead! (Both weeks booked for Serre Chevalier)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yorkshirelad wrote:
Anybody with crystal ski had their 16th January holiday cancelled yet

We have had a message from Sunweb that they are announcing on the 4th whether we can get away on the 15th. Do you think they know something?
You got to admire their optimism.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pompeyc wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

We have had a message from Sunweb that they are announcing on the 4th whether we can get away on the 15th. Do you think they know something?

I thought there was a big meeting on the 5th for the French government to discuss the way forward.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[/quote]

I’ve always taken ‘Scotch’ in the manner which it was intended, as a wee wee take between neighbours snowHead[/quote]

I've never considered it a wee wee take.

Folk don't even think about it, so I don't think its premeditated in any way.

It's simply an abbreviation of Scottish, is easier to pronounce and is nothing more than lazy speech - "Scot'sh". wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, I think it's a 'merkanism.

Anyhoo, not good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pompeyc wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:

Yep, same here.
I don't think they know anything, they're just desperate to hold out for a long as possible before the chaos and yet another month of no income.
It's annoying because I don't want to book another trip to elsewhere if there's a chance that I can't move or get a refund on this one.
ski holidays
Looks like we might see the end of the pre-departure test for entering UK:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/01/pre-departure-covid-tests-holidaymakers-could-axed/

Not sure if this means the end of the Day 2 test as well
ski holidays
RichardB wrote:
whilst I would never say that personally, it has soured things for me.

I’m genuinely interested as to why?
snow conditions
RichardB wrote:
Stopping people from transiting to get home when arriving into France by ferry/euro tunnel and is the only way you can drive through to another EU country to get there? That's unreasonable in my own opinion.

I doubt it’s calculated, it’ll be an interpretation of a directive that lacks sufficient clarity delivered by an organisation so large (the state) that dysfunction is endemic.

Hanlon’s Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
ski holidays
Levi215 wrote:
RichardB wrote:
Stopping people from transiting to get home when arriving into France by ferry/euro tunnel and is the only way you can drive through to another EU country to get there? That's unreasonable in my own opinion.

I doubt it’s calculated, it’ll be an interpretation of a directive that lacks sufficient clarity delivered by an organisation so large (the state) that dysfunction is endemic.

Hanlon’s Razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Ah… I hadn’t been aware of that quote but I have often said to my work colleagues getting paranoid over some behaviour from management / HR / IT don’t attribute malice to anything which could be explained by incompetence
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/01/pre-departure-covid-tests-holidaymakers-could-axed/

That helps remove the fear of being stranded abroad so just that would be useful
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:
Seems weird the French are doubling down on their Health Pass, given that omicron largely evades immunity from the vaccine.

Doubling down or opening the door to mandatory vaccine?
Macprolieon is now president of the EU - so maybe his 6 month agenda is to push it EU wide.
ski holidays
@Levi215, the problem is it feels like a “Blame the British” attitude has formed and it is discriminatory no matter how you interpret it. I’m not blaming the French as a whole for this, I blame Macron more for playing politics over this situation, if my opinion has come out a bit strong, well, that’s my opinion and interpretation of it.
snow report
@RichardB, fair enough, no it didn’t appear strong, I don’t care hence my asking.
snow conditions
@RichardB, no-one I know, here in France, thinks there's any discrimination going on ...

There's a quote somewhere, starts, "lnfamy ..."

We do see your clown of a crime minister sticking his feet in his mouth with monotonous regularity however ...
snow conditions
@HilbertSpace, "given that omicron largely evades immunity from the vaccine."

No, no, it doesn't. rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@RichardB, no-one I know, here in France, thinks there's any discrimination going on ...

what is the view of those who rely on tourism?

I completely understand the reasons behind it initially - similar to Germany doing the same.
However, once the latest variant is dominant everywhere, you do have to wonder what is motives are?
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
HilbertSpace wrote:

That helps remove the fear of being stranded abroad so just that would be useful
I won't be rebooking until this risk is removed.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, well, no-one's happy that there are fewer potential clients but no-one thinks it's discrimination.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Driven over from Geneva this morning - no border control at all at 8am.

Saw less than 20 UK registered cars heading down the valley, ridiculous departing traffic, from Aime to Bourg basically stopped, 3-4 hours worth of traffic jam there.
snow report
I'm hoping that someone (Chris Grayling !?) is looking at new ferry routes to Belgium to relieve the pressure on Channel crossings and as an alternative for when the French ban Brits...
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Having recently caught covid, approximately three weeks after being boosted, I'm tempted to agree with HilbertSpace
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-wind the testing requirements back to the previous (pre-December / pre-Omicron) iteration.

That was simply a lateral flow test for day 0-2.

The new rules were established in response to Omicron, but the justification is no longer there, now that Omicron is dominant and abundant all over the UK.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Having recently caught covid, approximately three weeks after being boosted, I'm tempted to agree with HilbertSpace

The boffins at Imperial would agree too:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232698/omicron-largely-evades-immunity-from-past/
ski holidays
@HilbertSpace, But you'll almost certainly get less ill and much less likely to end up in hospital. That's the main benefit of the vax.
snow conditions
In protest I’m giving up Alcohol from tomorrow until the French lift their border control on us Brits , hopefully will only be two weeks Smile
latest report
@HilbertSpace, the key is in the headline of that link:
"Omicron largely evades immunity from past infection or two vaccine doses" .

2 doses!!

Waning immunity after 2 doses was well known pre Omicron.

Booster has shown in newer data since 17 Dec that protection significantly improves - 88% in some studies.
Hence the drive to get the boosters/3rd dose done.
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
In protest I’m giving up Alcohol from tomorrow until the French lift their border control on us Brits , hopefully will only be two weeks Smile
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@colinstone,
Omicron is rife here in Morzine. Nearly everyone that I know who has caught it, is boosted.

“Vaccine effectiveness against Omicron

The researchers found a significantly increased risk of developing a symptomatic Omicron case compared to Delta for those who were two or more weeks past their second vaccine dose, and two or more weeks past their booster dose (for AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines).”

This is a direct quote from the Imperial article. Seems pretty conclusive to me.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 2-01-22 12:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
albob wrote:
I'm hoping that someone (Chris Grayling !?) is looking at new ferry routes to Belgium to relieve the pressure on Channel crossings and as an alternative for when the French ban Brits...
oh god ….Chris Grayling…. rolling eyes
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:

Just give up Champagne, Cotes du Rhône and 1664, that’ll really drive home the protest wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy