Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Happy New Year!!! Hopefully 2022 brings everyone lots of fresh tracks and fresh pow AND thry can get to the slopes. Sight cocid rebuttal so apologies

@robs1, @peanuthead, you cannot compare the SA Omicrom situation in SA to here, different climate, season, population, vaccine levels, socio economic group......I can go on.
@peanuthead you're 100% correct in that it's staff absence that will kill people.
There are 70 minute + waits in ambulances outside hospitals all over the UK. So when someone has a heart attack/stroke etc the golden hour response time is gone.
Also while it seems it is x% (insert whatever source you want to read) less severe for hospitalisation but a similar % more transmissible then you've got 1 step forward and one back.
Plus the NHS staff and in France are all at breaking and can't and shouldn't be expected to pick up the slack.......anyway I've veered off piste.

Read the from a Green list country entry requirements and go in via a green list country if you want to ski!?! As long as you make sure you're not bringing it in by doing proper tests and you really want to/need to go for it.

Will get an update from our company when we arrive, they seem to have a good time in to French gov through some connections Eh oh! so will see what their mood is like.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
xanderajma wrote:
Happy New Year!!! Hopefully 2022 brings everyone lots of fresh tracks and fresh pow AND thry can get to the slopes. Sight cocid rebuttal so apologies

@robs1, @peanuthead, you cannot compare the SA Omicrom situation in SA to here, different climate, season, population, vaccine levels, socio economic group......I can go on.
@peanuthead you're 100% correct in that it's staff absence that will kill people.
There are 70 minute + waits in ambulances outside hospitals all over the UK. So when someone has a heart attack/stroke etc the golden hour response time is gone.
Also while it seems it is x% (insert whatever source you want to read) less severe for hospitalisation but a similar % more transmissible then you've got 1 step forward and one back.
Plus the NHS staff and in France are all at breaking and can't and shouldn't be expected to pick up the slack.......anyway I've veered off piste.

Read the from a Green list country entry requirements and go in via a green list country if you want to ski!?! As long as you make sure you're not bringing it in by doing proper tests and you really want to/need to go for it.

Will get an update from our company when we arrive, they seem to have a good time in to French gov through some connections Eh oh! so will see what their mood is like.

I am in no way trying to pick a fight here, but two days ago, scientist from the university of Copenhagen, released a study of the Omikron (not peer reviewed yet). The findings were quite different from what we have learned before. Omikron does not transfer more easily between humans, but once exposed, it is far better at penetrating vaccines and immunity, and that is why it spikes so rapidly. Looking forward to the peer review.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy new year snowHead

Looks like the French resorts are fighting our corner.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10359911/French-tourism-bosses-tell-Macron-scrap-travel-ban-UK-holidaymakers.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DanishRider wrote:
xanderajma wrote:

I am in no way trying to pick a fight here, but two days ago, scientist from the university of Copenhagen, released a study of the Omikron (not peer reviewed yet). The findings were quite different from what we have learned before. Omikron does not transfer more easily between humans, but once exposed, it is far better at penetrating vaccines and immunity, and that is why it spikes so rapidly. Looking forward to the peer review.

Hmm interesting, good find. Looking forward to that. Imperial has some initial studies too I think (full transparency I'm 100% biased being an IC alum Toofy Grin )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
@timlongs, I think there is a vocal minority here who "need" to blame someone else - whether it's the French, Scottish, or Germans or whatever.

The pattern isn't that difficult to discern, and as you say smacks of the readership of certain periodicals...........

and an even more vocal one that has to drag scotch nationalism into every topic.

Let's see how long it is until your sock puppets arrive, it'll be like the countdown to new year... Ten...

Scotch is something you should have been drinking last night, Scottish is what you call someone from this part of the world - unless, of course, you are merely demonstrating your inadequate grammar to the rest of the world.

I see that your prediction was - rather like your grammar - wide of the mark..................

Happy New Year !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ozboy wrote:
Happy new year snowHead

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10359911/French-tourism-bosses-tell-Macron-scrap-travel-ban-UK-holidaymakers.html

It's not just lost income either for this season but future ones too, I've seen a few saying never again to France and taking their business elsewhere, whilst I would never say that personally, it has soured things for me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy wrote:
Happy new year snowHead

Only a matter of time, hopefully in the next few days, that France will lift the ban given that Germany has already done so. The waiting and uncertainty is a killer, but given the relationship between the UK and France, it wont surprise me if they announce it until the very last possible moment, much like they did with the announcement of the 18/12 travel ban.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RichardB,
Quote:

I've seen a few saying never again to France and taking their business elsewhere, whilst I would never say that personally, it has soured things for me.

It's not "France" or "the French" that banned UK visitors, but just the government. Would we like people to judge the whole of the UK on the basis of the actions of our current mob? The vast majority of French people I have met (including many who do not profit from UK tourism) have always been very welcoming - I will not judge them on the actions of Macron.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RichardB wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
Happy new year snowHead

It's not just lost income either for this season but future ones too, I've seen a few saying never again to France and taking their business elsewhere, whilst I would never say that personally, it has soured things for me.

Sadly I did see a few shops and cafés closed up in Alpe d’Huez on my visit in the week before Christmas. Personally I would still consider going back to French Alps for my next visit and not let the politics between the UK and France get in the way in deciding where to go (travel restrictions permitting!!!).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GreenDay wrote:
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
@timlongs, I think there is a vocal minority here who "need" to blame someone else - whether it's the French, Scottish, or Germans or whatever.

The pattern isn't that difficult to discern, and as you say smacks of the readership of certain periodicals...........

and an even more vocal one that has to drag scotch nationalism into every topic.

Let's see how long it is until your sock puppets arrive, it'll be like the countdown to new year... Ten...

Scotch is something you should have been drinking last night, Scottish is what you call someone from this part of the world - unless, of course, you are merely demonstrating your inadequate grammar to the rest of the world.!

From my, fairly old, Collins Dictionary (published in Glasgow so beyond any form of criticism), "Scotch means the same as Scottish.". The online version includes this along with "This use is considered incorrect by many people".

As one of your (more deranged) alter egos would rage, FACTS MATTER!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GreenDay wrote:
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

Scotch is something you should have been drinking last night, Scottish is what you call someone from this part of the world - unless, of course, you are merely demonstrating your inadequate grammar to the rest of the world.

I see that your prediction was - rather like your grammar - wide of the mark..................

Happy New Year !

If you are going to parade just how dull you are by attempting to criticise others use of grammar, you might want to work on improving your levels of reading comprehension.

I made no prediction as to how long it would take you to remember the log in details for your puppets just asked how long it would take. Not the same thing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS wrote:
@RichardB,
Quote:

I've seen a few saying never again to France and taking their business elsewhere, whilst I would never say that personally, it has soured things for me.

It's not "France" or "the French" that banned UK visitors, but just the government. Would we like people to judge the whole of the UK on the basis of the actions of our current mob? The vast majority of French people I have met (including many who do not profit from UK tourism) have always been very welcoming - I will not judge them on the actions of Macron.

I agree with this - in much the same way as people from France do not assume that UK visitors are some kind of "Boris Johnson" clone, we shouldnt really make the same assumption.

Not least because many/most? of those who work in the Alps dont really give two hoots about the French government, many of them see them as distant and disconnected from the people who live and work there.

Certainly wont stop me or any of my friends from going.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Trust me, I'm well aware of the distinction between the French and the actions of Macron, I've always enjoyed my skiing holidays there, I've even done the overnight ski train 3 times just to get 2 extra days skiing!

It's just a shame when politics get in the way of things, COVID or not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you think Politics is involved ? I just thought it was for sensible medical reasons
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stopping people from transiting to get home when arriving into France by ferry/euro tunnel and is the only way you can drive through to another EU country to get there? That's unreasonable in my own opinion.
latest report
@Rob Mackley, possibly for sensible reasons initially, now it’s as widespread there as it is here then I think it’s just politics.
ski holidays
@Boris, unconvinced for sensible reasons in first place.
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
Do you think Politics is involved ? I just thought it was for sensible medical reasons

So why only ban the UK then Rob and not other countries with high cases of Omicron??
latest report
@Boris, @saintnickle, Sorry being a bit sarkie
latest report
@DanishRider, interesting Copenhagen snippet, look forward to hearing the detail. What is clear is that Omicron spreads more easily in the population as it is at the moment, i.e. majority vaccinated. And given it has sequence changes in some regions recognised by pre-existing antibodies, evasion of immunity is a clear possible explanation.

There is also the possibility that its initial infection progresses much faster to a high enough load to infect someone else. If you have two viruses with the same "raw" transmissibility but one goes through 3 transmission cycles in a week where the previous version went through 2, it would lead to a steeper increase in cases.

I think the big thing will be its severity in vulnerable populations - again, with the level of immunity now existing. There are reports that Omicron spread first in the younger age groups but is now moving up the age bands. If the risk in the over-70s turns out to be significantly less than previous variants, there is a real possibility that governments will loosen travel restrictions. I am not sure our tunnel booking for 15th is viable though.
snow report
saintnickle wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:

So why only ban the UK then Rob and not other countries with high cases of Omicron??

Isn't it because it's both desirable and feasible with the UK (because there's a sea barrier with France), but desirable and infeasible with adjacent countries, because of the size of the land borders? Aren't the French just doing what is feasible, even if it's inconsistent? Macron may think that it's better to be criticised for imposing desirable rules on UK arrivals now, than be criticised later because he could have, but didn't.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
saintnickle wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:

Isn't it because it's both desirable and feasible with the UK (because there's a sea barrier with France), but desirable and infeasible with adjacent countries, because of the size of the land borders? Aren't the French just doing what is feasible, even if it's inconsistent?

The same could be said about all countries doing the same to uk travellers and even the eu health agency said it isnt relevant any more.
It was political but like many political actions it wasnt thought through very well and has pissed off his own side as much as us skiers some of who might not return to France in the future, he now needs to find a way to back down
snow report
@LaForet, completely agree with this (third country status and consistently high case rate haven’t helped other EU countries’ approach to U.K. visitors).

Many other countries have banned U.K. visitors at certain points yet nobody has received the amount of personal insults that Macron has - both here and in the U.K. media.
snow report
LaForet wrote:

Isn't it because it's both desirable and feasible with the UK (because there's a sea barrier with France), but desirable and infeasible with adjacent countries, because of the size of the land borders? Aren't the French just doing what is feasible, even if it's inconsistent? Macron may think that it's better to be criticised for imposing desirable rules on UK arrivals now, than be criticised later because he could have, but didn't.

It's true that it's much more feasible to block UK travellers.

But it's no longer desirable at this point - both France and the UK have similar very high infection rates and are both Omicron dominant. So any UK travellers coming in infected (which won't be that many due to testing requirements and people being careful due to not wanting to come down with COVID while abroad) will be an irrelevant drop in the ocean.

France should have looked to remove the ban by today, or even a few days ago. Rather than wait until the order expires on the 15th (and if it extends it beyond that, that really will be insane!).
ski holidays
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

Scotch is something you should have been drinking last night, Scottish is what you call someone from this part of the world - unless, of course, you are merely demonstrating your inadequate grammar to the rest of the world.!

From my, fairly old, Collins Dictionary (published in Glasgow so beyond any form of criticism), "Scotch means the same as Scottish.". The online version includes this along with "This use is considered incorrect by many people".

Regardless of what your dictionary says, it is not the done thing to refer to anything Scottish as Scotch. Scottish people don't like it, and they should be the sole arbiters of what is acceptable.

I say that as someone who was born in Scotland and half of my family are Scottish.
ski holidays
@musehead, you can make that case. But similarly you can make the case that the UK government's insistence on quarantine and PCR test after return makes no sense.

I think for all governments, while cases are still rising it sends the wrong political message to relax any existing restrictions. We can just hope that once we are properly into the New Year with consistent reporting, there will be signs that Omicron is levelling off and minor relaxations will go on the agenda.
latest report
@j b, interesting in the JAMA article I linked above, there were far fewer emergency room attendances in S Africa during omicron wave, but mean age during this wave much lower. Because more older age groups vaccinated? So omicron never seeped to older age groups. In Ireland as numbers today hit new high (23,000), hospital numbers are falling. I hear that London hospitals are under serious pressure though, and some suggestion that those primarily vaccinated with AZ (not used in S Africa but widely in UK) have much less protection against omicron, and this could influence whether omicron causes problems in der age groups in UK
latest report
peanuthead wrote:
@j b, interesting in the JAMA article I linked above, there were far fewer emergency room attendances in S Africa during omicron wave, but mean age during this wave much lower. Because more older age groups vaccinated? So omicron never seeped to older age groups. In Ireland as numbers today hit new high (23,000), hospital numbers are falling. I hear that London hospitals are under serious pressure though, and some suggestion that those primarily vaccinated with AZ (not used in S Africa but widely in UK) have much less protection against omicron, and this could influence whether omicron causes problems in der age groups in UK

It is claimed that london has a lower rate of vaccination than the rest of the UK, if true that could explain why more are going into hospital.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peanuthead, while the South African experience is highly encouraging, there are quite a lot of features about their population that could account for some of the lower severity. But clearly Omicron really is more benign.

I'm not sure about the news coming out of London, mostly because there isn't a lot of detail: to what extent is it people hospitalised because of Covid, or those admitted for something else who have a high chance of having it? It is possible it is simply that they have had such a high Omicron peak that even low severity puts strain on hospitals.
snow conditions
robs1 wrote:
peanuthead wrote:

It is claimed that london has a lower rate of vaccination than the rest of the UK, if true that could explain why more are going into hospital.

Probaby the vaccination rate more thatn anything else.

Also there is some discussion that AZ might produce a longer lasting 'memory' immunity, which in turn might explain lower rates of elderly in hospital, so far. Not sure this is proven yet.
snow conditions
[quote="Timmycb5"]
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
CV wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

Regardless of what your dictionary says, it is not the done thing to refer to anything Scottish as Scotch. Scottish people don't like it, and they should be the sole arbiters of what is acceptable.

[/quoteThat is a perfectly reasonable position.

Just out of interest, isn't the drink "Scotch" a shortening of "Scotch whisky" which actually means the same as Scottish whisky? It seems to me that Scotch is just an anachronistic alternative to Scottish. But if the anachronistic version is annoying to Scots it is obviously best avoided.
I guess Scotch egg is similar - just a specific usage where the generally anachronistic version is still used?

I say that as someone who was born in Scotland and half of my family are Scottish.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 1-01-22 19:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Unbelievably mild temperatures in western Europe over the last 2 days:

Val Thorens (2,300m altitude) according to their website - currently 6c.
Arosa (1,800m altitude) - peaked at 14c and 15c these last 2 days.
Parts of SE England's minimum last night was a New Year's record of 13c, the equivalent of a mean June minimum.

Sustained over the last week, this is more than just a Warm Foehn event.

Thankfully, normal order restored in The Alps from Monday.
snow conditions
A fellow boater returned to France 3 days ago. Negative LFTs at Ashford, Kent before Eurotunnel crossing.
48hr FR PCR Mrs was positive, he is negative and remains so. But 10 days isolation now.
Only social /crowded contact over Xmas was family, with a fair number of NHS LFTs.
Gendarmes called and visited his boat.
Fingers +'d for our 48hr PCRs on Monday.
snow conditions
I believe it is not a Public Holiday in France this Monday --

Maybe, with the Civil Servants back at work, there will be a change to the regulations - in our favour of course... Wink
ski holidays
@albob, yes. FR doesn't carry forward w/e BHs. Next one 15 April.
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Article in Le Monde, largely about the absence of Britons: https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2022/01/01/les-stations-de-sports-d-hiver-mises-en-difficulte-par-la-cinquieme-vague-de-covid-19_6107860_3234.html

Headline reads:

Winter sports resorts put in difficulty by the fifth wave of Covid-19
After the cancellations of British skiers, the rapid deterioration of the health situation in the Alps is harming the organization and the atmosphere in the resorts.

The government has to be aware of the situation?
ski holidays
Snow&skifan wrote:

Parts of SE England's minimum last night was a New Year's record of 13c, the equivalent of a mean June minimum.

And relevant to this thread because?

Please put your posts in relevant threads. Thread drift, hijacking is just a PITA.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:

And relevant to this thread because?

Please put your posts in relevant threads. Thread drift, hijacking is just a PITA.

True, but no more or less relevant than all of the general chat about Covid that keeps popping up in this thread rolling eyes If this thread could be kept specific to French entry requirements it would make it more useful and user friendly to many (and a lot shorter).
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
Article in Le Monde, largely about the absence of Britons: https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2022/01/01/les-stations-de-sports-d-hiver-mises-en-difficulte-par-la-cinquieme-vague-de-covid-19_6107860_3234.html

Headline reads:

Winter sports resorts put in difficulty by the fifth wave of Covid-19
After the cancellations of British skiers, the rapid deterioration of the health situation in the Alps is harming the organization and the atmosphere in the resorts.

The government has to be aware of the situation?

Thanks, interesting to get true first hand accounts from affected French businesses.

Two stand out lines for me:

“This week, there are people, but Monday it’s over! Usually powered by foreign tour operators and business seminars, January should be quieter than usual”.

“Those who suffer the most are après-ski bars and restaurants, popular with young British customers. While Christmas week was busy in the resort, New Year's week is very, very quiet. It is overwhelming ”.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy