Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
munich_irish wrote:
This might be of interest

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-based-brits-cant-travel-home-via-eurotunnel-company-warns/

It is not clear from that article in which direction the person was travelling .

I'm fairly certain that brits in France can return to their home (UK)

"If you have British nationality, you, your partner (spouse, PACS partner or cohabiter) and your children (read about supporting documents in question 1) are permitted to travel to the UK, without any guarantee you will be able to return to French territory, unless you have a compelling reason.

If you are a foreign (non-British) national but your main residence is in the UK, you, your partner (spouse, PACS partner or cohabiter) and your children (read about supporting documents in question 1) are permitted to travel to the UK, without any guarantee you will be able to return to French territory, unless you have a compelling reason..."

https://uk.ambafrance.org/FAQ-Travel-between-France-and-the-UK
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
what should be on people's mind is that this is a really sh1tty week to be skiing in the French (or Western Swiss) Alps weatherwise
At the moment, a lot of people can only dream of skiing there in 5h1tty weather... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@albob, they were travelling from the UK back to where they live in Belgium. The issue is not people who have French residency but specifically UK passport holders who have residency in other EU states who are now banned from entering France to travel home. France is now only allowing EU citizens to transit through France. Home does not have to mean the UK even for UK passport holders.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ahh -- I thought the article was implying that Brits in Europe could not return to the UK via France
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
what should be on people's mind is that this is a really sh1tty week to be skiing in the French (or Western Swiss) Alps weatherwise
At the moment, a lot of people can only dream of skiing there in 5h1tty weather... rolling eyes
Indeed, but let's take this in the context of the Omicron wave finally becoming prevalent on the Continent. The idea was to slow down said wave coming from Britain (akin to what was achieved two years ago with "flatten the curve") so the expectation is that the border opens soon, no reason to keep it closed when Denmark, and others, including France, are now fully hit.

It's always a tight balance between keeping the economy running and, you know, trying to save lives.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy from embsay wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
@andy from embsay, I have heard 15th via someone on the ground as well but on here been reminded it’s purely speculating Embarassed

Well it’s a bit more than speculation as the 15th is when the decree runs out - so they have to make a decision then to either renew or let it expire. Before that they don’t have to do anything, and as they’ve not even mentioned it since it came in on 18/12 then it may well be they won’t. But on 15/1 they have to do something.

Where will I find this information please that the decree runs out on the 15th January ? Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dd4 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
@andy from embsay, I have heard 15th via someone on the ground as well but on here been reminded it’s purely speculating Embarassed

Well it’s a bit more than speculation as the 15th is when the decree runs out - so they have to make a decision then to either renew or let it expire. Before that they don’t have to do anything, and as they’ve not even mentioned it since it came in on 18/12 then it may well be they won’t. But on 15/1 they have to do something.

Where will I find this information please that the decree runs out on the 15th January ? Thanks

Sorry not sure - it’ll be on F gov websites somewhere - but the decree was agreed on 16 December for a month.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Confusion about the French rule is rife: Interior Ministry saying EU residents should still be able to travel, but the border / customs post at Eurotunnel clearly has a different interpretation in hand (just search Eurotunnel on Twitter and the actual paper is screenshotted). No good for people travelling in the next day or so until it gets cleared up.

Rule didn’t apply in NL yesterday so cleared Schengen, then no border checks at NL, BE, LU, or FR on the way back to Geneva.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay wrote:
Sorry not sure - it’ll be on F gov websites somewhere - but the decree was agreed on 16 December for a month.

If anyone can find a reference to this expiry online please post the link. I've been looking around at the government sites and can't find it anywhere.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@raino, yeah I was looking on my pad yesterday and couldn't find any of my prior sites/links.

In other French news, they were planning on closing cinemas etc in some areas but have backed down as the cinema etc owners refused to close, on the basis that there was no evidence of cinemas etc being unusually good at contagion NehNeh NehNeh which is, I think, indicative of the national mood.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stodge wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

If anyone can find a reference to this expiry online please post the link. I've been looking around at the government sites and can't find it anywhere.

It may just be that because it was a ministerial decision (ie with no reference to parliament etc) that it has a one month sunset clause - tbh I can’t even find the law/regs, just a series of press announcements and FAQs. But i’ve seen reference to the one month thing in a couple of places.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munich_irish wrote:
@albob, they were travelling from the UK back to where they live in Belgium. The issue is not people who have French residency but specifically UK passport holders who have residency in other EU states who are now banned from entering France to travel home. France is now only allowing EU citizens to transit through France. Home does not have to mean the UK even for UK passport holders.

I am a big France and EU fan, but these rules - allowing EU but not third country transit - are almost Pythonesque.

None of this seems to be driven by public health and the rather obvious truth that Omicron is raging across France as we type.

In the same way as the UK (and worldwide) ban on SA travel was pointless, so are the French travel rules.

It seems that we dont have the monopoly on idiotic politicians........................
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GreenDay, quite. Now, given that London is France's 3rd(?) biggest city by population (well it was before brexcrap) you's think someone might be gently nipping at M. Macron's ankles to relax all this nonsense.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GreenDay, seems there’s confusion in French government about the non-EU citizens transiting to get home. https://twitter.com/john_lichfield/status/1476462566918524929?s=21
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy from embsay, News on Radio2 saying only french residents can take tunnel and ferries to enter France. Residents of other EU countries not allowed. Alot of CH based friends in UK for Xmas currently scrabbling for ferries elsewhere.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, yes, that seems to be the interpretation currently at the tunnel. But John L (who seems to have decent contacts in F government) says there’s some confusion as interior ministry are saying residents are able to transit. Clarity today he thinks. It’s similar to the transiting from GVA situation where local officials were having to make it up as they went along. The actual rules haven’t changed - the interpretation seems to have.
snow report
I think it could even be positive as at least it opens up the debate about whether these regs are sensible now!
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
Dd4 wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:

With he new restrictions announced a few days ago, I cant see them introducing further restrictions, while relaxing restrictions for UK travel.

It is political point scoring. Denmark, Malta & Ireland all have higher incidence rates per population than the UK. UK is only marginally higher than France & Spain.
ski holidays
Daily Mail is on to it Laughing
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10353959/Confusion-French-Covid-19-travel-rules-affecting-Britons.html
latest report
Can someone rename the thread “2022 French Presidential Election”?
latest report
Can I ask that we keep this one vaguely on point - i.e. about French Travel Restrictions, implications and news?

I am full of the cold and am grumpy enough to launch the laptop across the room if this thread descends into farce as well...............
snow report
@Mr.Egg, the only thing (other than the supposed expiry of the decret) that gives me some hope is that this can’t just be “political point scoring” by making life difficult for Brits - they’ve also banned their own citizens from travelling to the UK. It was introduced to “slow the spread of Omicron” and that’s clearly nonsense now as it’s dominant in both F and UK (although I did see yesterday the French are stopping reporting on O numbers?).
snow report
Hi all,

We got back two days ago from a trip to the 3 Valleys. We had a bit of a disaster on our return journey - blow out on our car and no tyres in stock anywhere close by!

We ended up having to stay on longer due to missing our ferry and this very nearly put our fit to fly tests out of date/time. We had taken these before leaving resort not anticipating a potential delay (won’t do that again!).

Having popped into a few pharmacies to check availability for certified tests if needed, there wasn’t much!

If I was going to travel under the current testing regime again(if/when allowed!) I would be tempted to buy an extra fit to fly to take with me to be sure I could get back.
snow report
Good tip @laurenamy25!
snow conditions
Hoping to get to 3V at the end of Jan and hoping for some easing and clarity of the current rules.

When I need to complete the Passenger Location Form (?) under the current rules what address will I need to use as we’ll be breaking our journey for overnight accommodation on both legs of the holiday - do I need to use the final destination address, the initial overnight address or both?
latest report
I'm gonna make bold prediction- by this time next week there'll be chaos in France. 10-20% of workers out (across the board, not just health/hospitality). 1000s of holidaymakers stranded due to positive tests and unable to return home. Not enough staff in hotels to cope. Transfers and flights cancelled. And even worse thr following week. Brits might be lucky to be banned! I'm scheduled to be there though. Honestly if I could cancel or move at this stage i would, I think the disruption we're going to see from this new variant common cold/ killer disease will be like nothing we've seen before, and will last until governments realise the only sensible moves are either reinstitute harsh lockdowns and travel warnings, or abolish testing of asymptomatic people, contact tracing etc and just carry on. But realistically we're weeks away from the latter and there will have to be crisis before that happens
latest report
@peanuthead, Agreed. I hope we make it back home to France next week before it goes to pigs and whistles. Not much point in thinking about skiing right now IMV.

FWIW, I expect some sort of strikes to emerge as well. I can’t see how they could resist at this point!
snow conditions
Collected OH from Lyon airport yesterday, 11:00 and Gendarmes arrived this morning at 10:00 much to the delight of our dogs Laughing

Obviously not local plod as the female officer felt none too comfortable walking what we refer to as the "wall of death" into our garden, and now it's devoid of snow and ice!

Quick check of the facts and detail and then said she has to take a PCR to which I countered Non Antigen and they acknowledged that, and gave us the email that she has to send her result too.

I just tested myself as had a bit of a cold that is now a throat just to be sure.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@andy from embsay, News on Radio2 saying only french residents can take tunnel and ferries to enter France. Residents of other EU countries not allowed. Alot of CH based friends in UK for Xmas currently scrabbling for ferries elsewhere.

That is not correct - EU citizens are allowed ; it is UK citizens or UK citizens based in the EU who are banned
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

That is not correct - EU citizens are allowed ; it is UK citizens or UK citizens based in the EU who are banned

Yep. And even that doesn’t seem to be agreed by the French as the Interior Ministry seem to think that if you have residency in (eg) Spain you should be allowed to transit France.
latest report
For anybody who is interested, this twitter link contains an image of the letter the Belgium based brit was handed by French officials at Eurotunnel

https://twitter.com/rolandmoore/status/1475993168889982977
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Collected OH from Lyon airport yesterday, 11:00 and Gendarmes arrived this morning at 10:00 much to the delight of our dogs Laughing

Obviously not local plod as the female officer felt none too comfortable walking what we refer to as the "wall of death" into our garden, and now it's devoid of snow and ice!

Quick check of the facts and detail and then said she has to take a PCR to which I countered Non Antigen and they acknowledged that, and gave us the email that she has to send her result too.

I just tested myself as had a bit of a cold that is now a throat just to be sure.

Good god… dystopian nightmare
latest report
For info, I read a French article the other day regarding the new vaccine pass. It did say that there would need to be exceptions for people between vaccine doses and people who couldn't have another jab due to recovery from infection. But then this is making it almost sound exactly like the health pass. With the only difference being that fully vaccinated constitutes 3 jabs.

However, the could make it hard ball and say you fall into one of two pots (fully vaccinated or not) and that's that. Makes things very difficult for Brit Feb Half Term kids (note: French kids have second jab 3-4 weeks after first and ours is minimum 12 weeks).

Or maybe the French are happy enough to just have the French skiing this Feb (if resorts are still open). Unfortunately the businesses depending on ski tourism won't.
latest report
@peanuthead, the chances are that by this time next week there will be chaos everywhere. I don't see a reason to single out France.

Everywhere is seeing massive increases in Covid cases reported without showing any sign of a slow-down: staffing issues are going to get worse whether you are talking about French ski lift operators, or hotel, supermarket and healthcare staff anywhere. It is going to be hard for governments to keep essential services operational without imposing some restrictions.

And that is without factoring in potential increased pressure on hospitals etc. The risk of hospitalisation with Omicron is probably less than with previous variants (though numbers are still pretty preliminary) but that reduced risk will be outweighed by the sheer growth in cases if the current trend continues.

I have an optimistic side that hopes the current surge will become self-limiting and cases will start to subside (and hopefully there is better population protection against future variants due to the booster effect of Omicron infection). But it is hard to see such a scenario happening until after any effect of New Year celebrations, and by then governments may have been forced to take extra measures.
snow conditions
I'm wondering. Could a full French lockdown in January enable ski resorts to close but re-open at the end of Jan? Or it it a case of when they shut, they stay shut? Not sure how much work needs to go into things. However, as January tends to be a sluggish time of year for most countries, an option on the table?
latest report
kettonskimum wrote:
I'm wondering. Could a full French lockdown in January enable ski resorts to close but re-open at the end of Jan? Or it it a case of when they shut, they stay shut? Not sure how much work needs to go into things. However, as January tends to be a sluggish time of year for most countries, an option on the table?

Any lockdowns will only work if they manage to get the R number below 1, and there's lots of suggestions that most restrictions won't and consequently will only merely drag the same scenario out longer (maybe a full lockdown would though?). Personally I think the spike of cases will be high but short lived, so I can see cases start to drop dramatically within the next two weeks.

I think while they might impose further restrictions in France, I don't think it'll get to a point where resorts have to shut.
snow conditions
Wondering where I stand. Due to go skiing to France in March, so things could change 50 times by then. However reside permanently in Ireland, have Irish driving licence PPS card, Irish plate car. I have UK passport, wife has Irish and UK passport. Under current rules if we get ferry from Ireland direct to France would I be refused entry under current rules. I am assuming I would, is that correct.
ski holidays
Timbobaggins wrote:
Wondering where I stand. Due to go skiing to France in March, so things could change 50 times by then. However reside permanently in Ireland, have Irish driving licence PPS card, Irish plate car. I have UK passport, wife has Irish and UK passport. Under current rules if we get ferry from Ireland direct to France would I be refused entry under current rules. I am assuming I would, is that correct.

No. You would be allowed in as long as you haven’t been in Uk within 14 days
snow conditions
I would have thought so. Anything that screams UK like your passport means no. However you are right that this is the rule right now. I'd assume something very different by the time we approach the peak ski period of Feb.
snow conditions
@Timbobaggins, To be certain, make sure your wife travels on her Irish passport - you would be allowed in as her 'spouse'
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy