Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, no it was hilarious though, the brass neck of some politicians is astonishing Laughing

Thanks for the link, I personally reckon it will be back to normal within the month......fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JamesHJ wrote:

It is the UK who are obsessed with France. Nobody even mentions the UK in FR outside of a few isolated ski resort bubbles.

I agree that I don't think France really think about the UK that much at all - but to be fair, the reverse of the statement is also true. Outside of us skiiers, I don't believe that anyone in the UK is particularly bothered about the current French travel restrictions at all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

It is the UK who are obsessed with France. Nobody even mentions the UK in FR outside of a few isolated ski resort bubbles.

I agree that I don't think France really think about the UK that much at all - but to be fair, the reverse of the statement is also true. Outside of us skiiers, I don't believe that anyone in the UK is particularly bothered about the current French travel restrictions at all.

At this time of year this is almost certainly true! Would change come the summer and peak time breaks but suspect it will be less of an issue then.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob Mackley wrote:
As the French Government have said they are watching the situation in the UK and Denmark very closely and will obviously be looking at their own data but the data in the England is suggesting very mild for nearly all , few hospitalisations and many of those are being picked up from daily testing of those already in for other reasons and now early data it is suggested that actual numbers in London the first epicentre in UK are falling . So let’s hope the French hold their nerve .

Yes, this is the hope that I'm clinging too. And I'm very aware that my whole judgement on the subject is clouded by the fact I want to go skiing in mid-Jan! Laughing

It feels like Scotland and Wales put the additional restrictions in at the right time, and it was the right thing to do - but Boris didn't want to impose any restrictions before Christmas for political reasons, with a view to potentially putting some in place post Christmas. However, what it has done is give his advisors a precious few additional days of data, and (for the reasons you've stated above) it could be a case that actually further restrictions aren't needed at all. At least from a UK point of view - I guess it comes down to whether hospitilisations in France follow the same pattern.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ajc2260626 wrote:

Brexit blah blah blah

...but like you say let’s keep the thread focused.

Cheers

Love these types of post: "I will have my off-topic say, and then can everyone else please keep on topic."

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back on topic, 8th Jan (Saturday week) we are scheduled to travel to France. Does anyone have any idea when I will know either way whether we will be able to?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ringingmaster, me too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stodge, errr, no? Apparently a meeting on 5th, but uk not really a priority I don't believe, especially after holidays finished.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stodge wrote:
Back on topic, 8th Jan (Saturday week) we are scheduled to travel to France. Does anyone have any idea when I will know either way whether we will be able to?

Simple answer is no. The bigger question is, how late can you leave it before you can cancel (and hopefully move) your holiday without incurring costs.

Lots of speculation that there might be a further announcement in the new year (on the 5th potentially?) but it's all speculation - so, as mentioned, the bigger question is, what is the impact of holding your nerve till the 5th and then then finding restrictions aren't lifted.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Supposed to be flying to Geneva for a week in Morzine on 16th January. Everything crossed.

LS
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Handy Turnip wrote:
stodge wrote:

Simple answer is no. The bigger question is, how late can you leave it before you can cancel (and hopefully move) your holiday without incurring costs.

Lots of speculation that there might be a further announcement in the new year (on the 5th potentially?) but it's all speculation - so, as mentioned, the bigger question is, what is the impact of holding your nerve till the 5th and then then finding restrictions aren't lifted.

We’ve got flights on 3/1 - can move those within 2hrs, car can be cancelled 48hrs before. Not expecting to travel on 3rd, but will then book for 6th Jan (in case something changes on 5th), then will simply move them back a week at a time. Pretty hopeful we’ll be ok after 15th at least…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

Outside of us skiiers, I don't believe that anyone in the UK is particularly bothered about the current French travel restrictions at all.

Correct. We know a few people who are blissfully unaware of the Franve travel ban rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We re-booked our holiday over NY to Feb half term. Really hope we will be able to go then. We can cancel the accommodation before 20th Jan for a full refund if need be, so I hope there will have been a new announcement by then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, I have heard 15th via someone on the ground as well but on here been reminded it’s purely speculating Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skimum1 wrote:
@andy from embsay, I have heard 15th via someone on the ground as well but on here been reminded it’s purely speculating Embarassed

Well it’s a bit more than speculation as the 15th is when the decree runs out - so they have to make a decision then to either renew or let it expire. Before that they don’t have to do anything, and as they’ve not even mentioned it since it came in on 18/12 then it may well be they won’t. But on 15/1 they have to do something.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, it is a little bit of optimism to hold on to. We should have been skiing at the moment, and rather by chance chose 15th as the day to move our crossing forwards to. (We would hope to get a bit of advance warning though of whether to set off).

In practice our Covid infections would have stopped us skiing anyway - even if the French border was open we would have to wait until all our vaccination records are restored next week.
snow conditions
@j b, at least there’s the slight positive that weather’s been awful where we’d have been going (PdS) and most people are staying indoors playing ludo…
latest report
We just got back from Alpe d'Huez. Our holiday was due to start on the Saturday the restrictions come into force, but luckily managed to book a last minute ferry crossing from Dover for 21:30 Friday before 23:00 deadline. Needless to say the traffic going into Dover was horrendous and our ferry left the docks a few minutes before 23:00! At check in, no one checked our vaccination status or our negative covid tests, they just asked whether we were vaccinated, we said "yes" and they waved us through!

At the resort, the only time we were asked for our health pass was to enter the sports centre to pick up my parking pass. Didn't go to any restaurants, just got takeout and groceries at the local Spar and shops. One of my kids only has the 1st vaccination and therefore couldn't get a health pass so need to do a test every 24hours to get a negative test certificate. Again, no one checked our health passes or negative covid test results to use the ski lifts and gondolas. I brought along a load of NHS lateral flow tests for daily checking for ourselves, but since no one checked negative test certificates for one of my kids, I stopped paying for the daily tests and used a PDF editor to edited the date and time of the certificate for each of the remaining days just in case. The only requirement was to ensure we were wearing a mask. That said, no one insisted on FPP2 masks, many people were just using their snoods!

Apart from the mask wearing, checking passes and covid tests was pretty much non-existent and it was pretty much normal activities in the resort, though less busy on the slopes and lifts than was to be expected. Also journey back to the UK, the roads were quiet and door to door resort to home took a total of 13 hours in the car!
snow conditions
@Jonc172, well done, pleased to hear someone managed to get away successfully. And it seems that you timed it perfectly to avoid the warm spell which is apparently affecting the French Alps at the moment.

(And since that looks like your first post - welcome to the forum).
ski holidays
another planet wrote:
Does anyone know anyone that has flown into Geneva and taken bus to France please? Meant to be going on Sunday!!!

+1 , we are booked for Tuesday
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
another planet wrote:
Does anyone know anyone that has flown into Geneva and taken bus to France please? Meant to be going on Sunday!!!

+1 , we are booked for Tuesday

For a ski holiday in France? Against the rules surely..
latest report
Jonc172 wrote:
... since no one checked negative test certificates for one of my kids, I stopped paying for the daily tests and used a PDF editor to edited the date and time of the certificate for each of the remaining days just in case

So... in a climate where many UK skiers are desperate for borders to re-open, to ski, to visit their appartments, maybe their family etc, you decided to break French law. You then boast about it on an open forum?

Chapeau! Still those damned Frogs need our money so much that it probably doesn't matter right? rolling eyes
snow report
@JamesHJ,

Sorry but silly laws are there to be broken. Mind you, I’m not sure I’d have publicised doing it Eh oh!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 29-12-21 14:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@Jonc172, well done, pleased to hear someone managed to get away successfully. And it seems that you timed it perfectly to avoid the warm spell which is apparently affecting the French Alps at the moment.

(And since that looks like your first post - welcome to the forum).

Very Happy The last few days to the run up to the start of the holiday was one of the most stressful times in my life trying to organise and get everything in place for a Friday departure. Very Happy I wouldn't say the timing was perfect, it was pure chance Very Happy
snow conditions
22 dropout wrote:

Yes. We have french residency which allows us to come and go under the current rules. Came back for Christmas.

As an update, the powers that gave rise to the current restrictions on UK travellers expire on 15th January. At that point they will either have to be extended or altered. Unless Monsieur le President says something tomorrow the 15th Jan becomes the key date.

Did you fly back via CH? And if so did they check your French passenger locator form at the Swiss (GVA) border?
ski holidays
@JamesHJ,

Sorry but silly laws are there to be broken.
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:
... since no one checked negative test certificates for one of my kids, I stopped paying for the daily tests and used a PDF editor to edited the date and time of the certificate for each of the remaining days just in case

So... in a climate where many UK skiers are desperate for borders to re-open, to ski, to visit their appartments, maybe their family etc, you decided to break French law. You then boast about it on an open forum?

Chapeau! Still those damned Frogs need our money so much that it probably doesn't matter right? rolling eyes

You should know, I also broke the speed limit by a few kilometres an hour on the French Autoroutes to and from Calais...
snow conditions
Jonc172 wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:

You should know, I also broke the speed limit by a few kilometres an hour on the French Autoroutes to and from Calais...

Maybe you f****d your secretary as well, we all make choices based on our own morals. It is still not wise to boast about it though snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:

Maybe you f****d your secretary as well, we all make choices based on our own morals. It is still not wise to boast about it though snowHead

If you took it as a boast I can't help you, that wasn't my intention. But then expect nothing less from the self appointed morality police. I think I'll leave it here to keep this thread on topic. Have a nice day...
latest report
Given how many people lost ski holidays,££££ and how many businesses are close to folding as a result of abiding by the rules, it is very poor form to post about your intention to break them for your own pleasure.
ski holidays
I also don’t see how it would have helped fiddling with a PDF when presumably you couldn’t change the QR details which is what they would have scanned with TAC. But you weren’t caught so I guess it didn’t matter.
latest report
Whilst it isn't something I would do, to be fair, he was testing his family everyday with the LFT's that he bought with him. If the reason he was doing it was to avoid having to do any testing, or to sneak someone onto the lift who was positive - then I can see the outcry. However, he was doing it to avoid paying the money for something that wasn't being checked. The reason why we have to pay for the tests is because (some) people can't be trusted to do the tests honestly themselves. However, he was self-policing effectively.

As mentioned, it isn't something I would do, or would condone, and I definitely wouldn't post it on a public forum but personally as long as he was effectively testing himself and his family, and keeping others safe, then I don't see it as the worst crime in the world.
latest report
Crystal just emailed to confirm they’re pulling my trip on 16th Jan to La Rosiere (2nd aborted trip this season) and seem really on the ball and they have also given me a voucher for additional 10% discount for next booking which in the circumstances seems above and beyond as these guys must be suffering.

They definitely will be my first port of call for when I re-enter the fray to try and book 3rd attempt at getting on the slopes soon.
latest report
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:

I think Jonc172 may still have used daily LFTs - but the free ones instead of the bought ones. Isn't that the case? Puzzled
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:

I think JHJ may still have used daily LFTs - but the free ones instead of the bought ones. Is that the case? Puzzled

Yes, that's the way I read it - so he was testing himself and his family every day, just not using the official route.
snow report
Jonc172 wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Given how many people lost ski holidays,££££ and how many businesses are close to folding as a result of abiding by the rules, it is very poor form to post about your intention to break them for your own pleasure.

Again, it wasn't a boast and my circumstances would have made absolutely no difference to those who sadly lost their ski holidays. I spent several thousands of pounds supporting the local businesses of the resort rather than let the restrictions beat me and instead insist on refunds or postponing of my holiday which would impact the economy of the resort.
ski holidays
Skimum1 wrote:
I also don’t see how it would have helped fiddling with a PDF when presumably you couldn’t change the QR details which is what they would have scanned with TAC. But you weren’t caught so I guess it didn’t matter.

The test certificates did not have QR codes and when it was checked, they just looked at the date and time of certificate for the negative result.
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:
Jonc172 wrote:

I think JHJ may still have used daily LFTs - but the free ones instead of the bought ones. Is that the case? Puzzled

Yes, that's the way I read it - so he was testing himself and his family every day, just not using the official route.

Yes, I was testing everyone everyday using the NHS LFTs before heading out to the slopes. I did buy the Randox LFTs for the daily testing which issues the certificates (officially accepted according to their website) but given the notice of the restrictions, they did not arrive in time so took the NHS ones instead. Spent in excess of £600 in total just on test kits for the holiday including the day2 PCR tests!
snow conditions
208k cases latest announced figure! Have to admire the French, as in Sport, just when you think they're on a loosing streak, they're able to get right back in the game and trounce the opposition Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy