Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
So far ….

Basically copying UK strategy of getting lots of vaccinations done. Need to have a vaccination pass to get into places (ie Covid recovery not enough) - quite a shift for the French.

Compulsory home working
No need for curfew
Schools as normal for as long as possible
Nothing on travel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@colinstone, obvs I was quite wrong about who's presenting! Castex & Veran
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although equally obviously, I am totally thrilled that FINALLY they've recognised the well demonstrated scientific truth that eating popcorn in cinemas is the VERY WORST thing you can do Puzzled rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alti - dude, I'm not so sure that travel (to and from uk is very high on priorities) ...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good news in that the ski resorts are kept open - I am very hopeful that the travel restrictions are lifted at the next review
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
From January 15, “if the bill is passed, the vaccination pass will apply in all places where the health pass applies today. Thus, presenting a negative test will no longer suffice.

Wonder if this will affect people with teens having to test daily to get their lift passes?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, looks like Castex. And Castex name on screen!!
But despite banging on repeatedly about vaccination, nothing on travel.
Wonder if there is a UK journo to ask??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@alti - dude, I'm not so sure that travel (to and from uk is very high on priorities) ...

Au contraire . . . . . I think pi55ing off the Brits is very high up Macron’s agenda.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's good to see that they're making the distinction between their delta and omicron waves, seems to imply that if delta continues to plateau or drop there's hope and a good chance that no further restrictions will be imposed for omicron
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Due to spend HT in the 3Vs (flying to GVA). Have just booked alternative accommodation in Adelboden (free cancellation until -14 days). This will be replicated a thousandfold … if they don’t lift their travel restrictions in the next review their ski industry will be badly affected (and not just this season).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When is the next review due? Having cancelled our NY break now worrying about Feb HT.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, so earlier in the tread I promised an update on things, so I'll give it even though it feels a little like rubbing salt into wounds:

Getting into France (pre latest restrictions) flew from MAN to GVA, had sub 48hr PCR's for adults and sub 24hr LFT for teen (as single jabbed at time). Swiss requirements checked by airline and passport staff at GVA, French requirements never checked (more on that in a sec).

In GVA some Brits off our flight were getting pulled and sent for PCR's, not sure why, maybe they were staying in CH and hadn't pre-booked an arrival test. As transitting peeps we were good to go.

Boarded SwissTours to Chx, nothing checked, entered France, nothing checked (but remember this is all pre latest changes).

In Chx we had about 7 days to wait until teens second jab sent her PS live so we paid for one pharmacy LFT. Used lifts a fair bit and no one checked anything (so didn't pay for any further tests) UNTIL Christmas week, then all the checks kicked in, but by then we were all set.

We did try to get a pharmacy and a lab to convert the teens infection and single jab into a PS, no joy. For the last month pharmacies can (for a fee) convert non QR code jabs (eg UK sub 16) into a QR. The places we tried in Chx could not do the same for an infection, I know the pharmacy in Val'd'I says it can. It MAY have been that my teens infection was very close to her first jab. They tried their best, even calling the French Social Sec for us, but no go. luckily no drama as the wait was only a few days.

Now in Chx there is much more PS checking, though mask adherence is still poor tbh.

Today we went to Italy. No border checks either way though we carried proof of sub 60km 'residency' and we were in a 74 plate car. Lifties and all restos were red hot on green tick equivalency, additionally the car park uplift lifties insisted on FFP2/KN95 masks, French filtraton buffs or standard blue masks were a no go. Once on the hill then buffs were fine, but some form of face covering was enforced on all lifts. Can't speak to cable car on download as we used the skidoo track back down.

Battery dying, gtg.

Hope that helps someone.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 27-12-21 20:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are considering pulling the plug on our planned trip to La Plagne on the back of all this - we have stuck with it and if we have to move the trip again it will be the 8th time. Only so much one can take before the love of skiing in France wanes and other countries become more appealing. If we decamp we won’t return to France in a hurry I’m afraid.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW apparently an Italian friend has just told us if you go to original Italian source the 60km thing is just for Italians returning, but some border guards assume reciprocity (so it's pot luck)!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rookiescot wrote:
When is the next review due? Having cancelled our NY break now worrying about Feb HT.

Theres another announcement on Dec 31st When they know more about Omicron spread ...

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 27-12-21 20:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just back from two weeks in Flaine, pleased we had booked the first week to beat the embargo. Mask discipline in lifts very good, enforced by lifties and also fellow skiers! Gendarmes were checking vaccination certificates on first weekend but not seen since. Certs checked at ALL cafes etc whether seated inside or outside. An efficient testing station was set up in the Church for pre flight home tests €22 a go.
We felt very privileged to be able to ski in these difficult times. French staff very pleased to see us for our custom and opportunity to practice their English.
Special mention to SCGB who for our second week were prepared to run their chalet and guiding for just 4 people rather than cancel.
Not sure when we will be skiing again but live in hope
snow report
@On the rocks, guiding?! Shocked
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Rookiescot wrote:

Theres another announcement on Dec 31st When they know more about Omicron spread ...

Oh crumbs. That’s awfully tight for our planned arrival date of 8/1/22.
Am I that much of a gambler?
ski holidays
@Hurtle, the French professional and highly qualified instruction and guiding team Yann and Dianne are well known. This SCGB holiday was unusual in that it managed to work very successfully without a Rep being in attendance!
ski holidays
@On the rocks, phew. Sounds great.
ski holidays
Hmm. According to FRANCE 24 the Friday announcement is about changed to the isolation/ contact tracing rules. So probably won’t change the travel situation.
Poo.
latest report
We are travelling Jan 9th. Is there any news on travel due?
ski holidays
TMW wrote:

Vía ireland or Italy is ok
snow report
skiinghamster wrote:
Hmm. According to FRANCE 24 the Friday announcement is about changed to the isolation/ contact tracing rules. So probably won’t change the travel situation.
Poo.

Correct, the next time the health council etc will meet in France is 05/01. So expect next announcement then.

Of course, the travel ban came in out of the blue, and was announced by Atal randomly, so something similar could happen with it being overturned.
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
TMW wrote:

Vía ireland or Italy is ok

Has anyone done this successfully? Or is it time to give up on skiing in France this January?
snow report
Whilst theoretically possible, I doubt many would bother. If there's anything in the regulations about being in the UK within X days, they'll know (borders, even with UK-EU, share passport scans data), not to mention the extra cost of baggage etc doing 2 hops instead of 1.
ski holidays
Im doing it next week
latest report
No Im not. Rules just changed!

Passengers wishing to travel to France must present this certificate to transport companies before boarding and to border control authorities. It applies to travellers arriving by a direct flight or after a transit of less than 14 days in another country. Failure to do so shall result in the passenger being denied boarding or access to the territory.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bezthespaniard, where did you find that update?
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@bezthespaniard, where did you find that update?

There’s a form you fill in called attestation de deplacement.

Just got an email with the latest version and it says it there.
latest report
@bezthespaniard, sorry to hear your plans are scuppered.......
Can you forward that link somehow? Impossible to find at the moment...
snow report
@KenX, it is on the Travel certificate to Metropolitan France at https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from4, UK section.
snow conditions
@bezthespaniard, rules been the same since Dec 20 ...
ski holidays
Thanks for the update and info - is there an end date on this, or still waiting?
ski holidays
I think it will only get worst, as I'm sure numbers in France will rise steeply if what I witnessed yesterday is anything to go by!

I was the only person wearing a mask in a gondola!

And then later in the restaurant, I spotted this front page, but the article was not quite what I expected?

More on the blog here.

Have to say my OH did the final edit and included the reference to Brit travel restrictions, but I did see a rant from a hotelier having a real go at Macron about the restrictions on FB as it's kilking her Brit biased business.
snow report
Ignoring mask rules is endemic in French resorts. I remember skiing in Summer 2020 in L2A. The ESF trainees and coaches just totally ignored the mask rules on the gondola. Even explaining to them that another shutdown would leave them unemployed did nothing. I guess they got what they wanted that winter!

Edit: in strong contrast to the observation of rules elsewhere in France. There is something different in the water up in the high villages and towns! Witness the Savoie driver!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 28-12-21 8:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Weathercam, thanks for this. Not looking good for my group of friends (booked, ironically, for Club Med in Serre Chevalier) on 16/1. The next few days should tell.
latest report
@Weathercam, pretty much the same on the cable cars here in Chx. Red hot on it in Italy though, even on chairlifts and in Qs, on cable cars it has to be a FFP2/KN95 mask, or you don't ride.

Got to say, I felt happier in Italy, I've been actively avoiding cable cars in Chx (mind you, they've nearly all been set fire to these days).
snow report
Funnily enough, the Italian kid racers at L2A were very strict with masks. They normally get a hard time from everyone for minor antisocial behaviours!
snow conditions
@under a new name,
I gather there has been a steady stream of UK skiers in the PDS, arriving by train from GVA to Thonon. No checks involved at any point.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy