Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the info guys. But yes just to confirm, it is the end of January I'm traveling to Les Arcs, I have Covid at the moment (and luckily im OK) and I am worried about still testing positive on a PCR at the end of January. Frustratingly, I have no way of knowing if this will be the case or not at the end of Jan, unless I pay for a private test a week or two beforehand and see what that shows.

To clarify, it doesn't have to be a PCR test to go into France, a (paid for) supervised lateral (antigen test) test would do it? With the laterals being less likely to pickup infection of someone who has already recovered from Covid a month ago.

Obviously depending on if France remove the travel ban!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob.m wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. But yes just to confirm, it is the end of January I'm traveling to Les Arcs, I have Covid at the moment (and luckily im OK) and I am worried about still testing positive on a PCR at the end of January. Frustratingly, I have no way of knowing if this will be the case or not at the end of Jan, unless I pay for a private test a week or two beforehand and see what that shows.

To clarify, it doesn't have to be a PCR test to go into France, a (paid for) supervised lateral (antigen test) test would do it? With the laterals being less likely to pickup infection of someone who has already recovered from Covid a month ago.

Obviously depending on if France remove the travel ban!

Just book a PCR through the NHS in a week or two
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The latest news UK side is that research shows that omicron is much less severe - and most interestingly in London - where 1 in 35 have omicron/covid apparently - admissions are decreasing now so it looks like it has peaked in London. Negligible increase in icu admissions or deaths. This can only be good news for the travel industry. I can’t see Boris introducing more restrictions if this trend continues. I really hope Macron follows the science and worries less about his chances at the election. Hopefully the ski resorts prefectures are putting pressure on him…
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It might also be the endgame for COVID. Fast spreading low risk - pushes out more dangerous versions. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowqueen50 wrote:
The latest news UK side is that research shows that omicron is much less severe - and most interestingly in London - where 1 in 35 have omicron/covid apparently - admissions are decreasing now so it looks like it has peaked in London. Negligible increase in icu admissions or deaths. This can only be good news for the travel industry. I can’t see Boris introducing more restrictions if this trend continues. I really hope Macron follows the science and worries less about his chances at the election. Hopefully the ski resorts prefectures are putting pressure on him…

The UK figure is 1 in 35 ; the London figure is 1 in 13 !!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
snowqueen50 wrote:

Whoever said Londoners are unfriendly? They're clearly happy to share the virus.

Not wanting to be too optimistic but as @ringingmaster says, isn't this one of the best-case scenarios that we were told might happen? A less dangerous but more easily spread strain leading to it becoming a background annoyance? I've no idea what's to stop the less dangerous variant mutating to become more dangerous in future...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"A less dangerous but more easily spread strain <cut>"

The problem then is more people being off work (rather in hospital) and services being affected (e.g. - 20% of London firemen were off sick last week) ;
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There’s a highish proportion of unvaccinated in London which exaggerates the hospital admissions.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CV wrote:
albob wrote:
snowqueen50 wrote:

Whoever said Londoners are unfriendly? They're clearly happy to share the virus.

Not wanting to be too optimistic but as @ringingmaster says, isn't this one of the best-case scenarios that we were told might happen? A less dangerous but more easily spread strain leading to it becoming a background annoyance? I've no idea what's to stop the less dangerous variant mutating to become more dangerous in future...

It's all those infected commuters coming in and out doing essential work, who do they think they are ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Joking aside, greater london appears to have a match in population to either Austria or Switzerland in total with obviously huge continuous movement in relative close proximity. Inevitably it should propagate here first given reasonable logic applied.

You can all thank us later for testing systems etc Very Happy again, joking aside, they've commandeered all sort of availability in buildings to suppliment general medical sites to cram people through vax program, there's orderly queuing fairly constantly around locally to get through as many as possible, all I've seen have signs saying walk in welcome to capture as many that may hold any reason to avoid. Certainly a lot of effort is being deployed to make best headway given the circumstances.

Tentatively it may just be levelling as noted above. That's just an observation based on general outlook, not any insight of facts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
"A less dangerous but more easily spread strain <cut>"

The problem then is more people being off work (rather in hospital) and services being affected (e.g. - 20% of London firemen were off sick last week) ;

And, 1% of an eye-wateringly large number of infections getting hospitalised (if that indeed happens) is too much for the NHS. So not all plain sailing. Yet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Any chance we can keep this thread on topic? There's loads of other threads already discussing the ins and outs of Covid and emerging research.

I'll try again wink The thread for general chat about Covid as opposed to French entry requirements is here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150990
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Any chance we can keep this thread on topic? There's loads of other threads already discussing the ins and outs of Covid and emerging research.

I'll try again wink The thread for general chat about Covid as opposed to French entry requirements is here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150990

Understand that the thread drift is not welcome, but there is context relevant to title as the news feed from London "appear" to be dominant in Macron decision process. Or that's what some seem to hold.

If that's true or not you'd have to consider that French entry is at least loosely chained to London's numbers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hearing rumours that French ski trips may be back on for brits mid-Jan.

Hopefully the phrase…no smoke without fire applies here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also heard 14th but it was from a friend of friend of a friend, so never paid to much attention but my next trip is 20th so hears hoping
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Merry Christmas all - this is a hypothetical question about France … can someone please clarify what the entry requirements for a 14Y old were pre-the current measures? Our 14Y old has only had 1 shot but is also in possession of an EU digital recovery certificate (expires in April). We’re very much hoping he’ll be able to have his 2nd before our planned trip in February. Thanks very much.
ski holidays
Fridge03 wrote:
Hearing rumours that French ski trips may be back on for brits mid-Jan.

Hopefully the phrase…no smoke without fire applies here.

Any reliable sources?
snow report
franga wrote:
Merry Christmas all - this is a hypothetical question about France … can someone please clarify what the entry requirements for a 14Y old were pre-the current measures? Our 14Y old has only had 1 shot but is also in possession of an EU digital recovery certificate (expires in April). We’re very much hoping he’ll be able to have his 2nd before our planned trip in February. Thanks very much.

4th dec rules say this

"..The measures applied to vaccinated adults extend under the same conditions to accompanying minors, whether or not they are vaccinated."

That is a google translation

Problem -- is a 14 year old considered a minor on France ??
ski holidays
@albob, judging by the page linked below, yes.

https://fra.europa.eu/en/content/age-majority

Quote:

The age of majority is 18 years in all EU Member States except for Scotland, where children are considered to have full legal capacity from the age of 16 years.

The reference to Scotland means the page was written pre Brexit, but I think the news of a change in the age of majority within the EU would have come to our attention had it happened.
latest report
@achilles, Thanks - But for entry requirements 12 appears to be the cut off line

"..Any person aged 12 and over entering French territory must present a negative PCR or antigen test less than 24 or 48 hours old, depending on the country of origin. For unvaccinated minors under 12 years, the vaccine status of their parents or accompanying guardians shall apply."

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered/article/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered
snow conditions
Thanks very much all - I think we’ll wait and see what Monsieur Macron decides to do next
latest report
Pardon my incomprehension, but isn’t France completely closed to UK holidaymakers?
No matter what your covid jab status, you can't travel unless you have a "Compelling Reason". Going on holiday doesn't qualify as "Compelling"!

https://uk.ambafrance.org/IMG/pdf/1612_compelling_reasons_ukfr-2.pdf?11396/729b409540cc5185d8eb62942333e999bf347acc
snow report
People are hoping for a change around the 14th of Jan (only because some TO's have suspended their flight until that date - doesn't mean they will restart on that date though...!)
snow report
SkiPresto wrote:
Pardon my incomprehension, but isn’t France completely closed to UK holidaymakers?
No matter what your covid jab status, you can't travel unless you have a "Compelling Reason". Going on holiday doesn't qualify as "Compelling"!

https://uk.ambafrance.org/IMG/pdf/1612_compelling_reasons_ukfr-2.pdf?11396/729b409540cc5185d8eb62942333e999bf347acc
We’re trying to stay hopeful that measures will be relaxed over the next few weeks …
snow conditions
I'm scheduled to go on the 8th and in some ways hope the ban is still on place so I can get all my money back. What worries me is the test required before returning to the UK and the risk of being stuck out there in quarantine.
snow report
@SkiPresto, it does say in a few places it’s a hypothetical q. Things change quickly so no harm getting prepared just in case.

I’m booked on a course late Jan in PDS and while the organiser/instructor has replanned those up to mid Jan she said right now she is fairly confident those after that should happen. Here’s hoping!
snow conditions
Skimum1 wrote:
@SkiPresto, it does say in a few places it’s a hypothetical q. Things change quickly so no harm getting prepared just in case.

I’m booked on a course late Jan in PDS and while the organiser/instructor has replanned those up to mid Jan she said right now she is fairly confident those after that should happen. Here’s hoping!
be realistic though - no one knows as nothing has been announced. This is 100% speculation.
ski holidays
Macron is making an announcement Monday afternoon, no one here thinks it will be good news...
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Macron is making an announcement Monday afternoon, no one here thinks it will be good news...
Agreed ... covid rates are surging in places like Val d'Isere
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franga, and guess who is getting the blame!
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:

To be fair, when Javid announced plan B he dropped the red list in the same breath so we can perhaps retain some hope politicians are on the same page...
latest report
SkiPresto wrote:

It isn’t U.K. holidaymakers. It’s people flying from the U.K.

You can still enter via a green country (apart from Switzerland).
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:

Where did you hear that?
ski holidays
albob wrote:
People are hoping for a change around the 14th of Jan (only because some TO's have suspended their flight until that date - doesn't mean they will restart on that date though...!)

BA appear to have cancelled flights to Grenoble up to and including 15th...
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard,

>You can still enter via a green country (apart from Switzerland).

Is CH new??

From https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from2
at 20 December 2021.

"2) You wish to enter Metropolitan France
2.1. Mobility rules and regulations
No restrictions shall apply when entering metropolitan France from a green list country or territory.

2.2. Health control measures
If you are already vaccinated, you shall present proof of your vaccination status and a sworn statement certifying the absence of COVID-19 symptoms and of any contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19. A negative PCR or antigen test taken less than 48 hours old is required, except for arrivals from a Member State of the European Union, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Holy See or Switzerland."

I'm trying on Friday armed with Long Stay Visa and proper French address. Address worked 26 Dec 2020.
But interested about the 48 hour test??
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:

Heard the same thing from the locals in 3V….. one of the restaurants thought it might be a circuit breaker, or if numbers aren’t too bad, evening restrictions.
snow report
Given the way that Omicron is whipping through hospitality staff on the Tarentaise, I suspect hospitality will be severely curtailed from next Sunday evening, when all the French lose interest in skiing for a month.

The resorts may stay open if there has been enough lobbying, but I suspect with the closure of duplicated lifts.
ski holidays
Well the way the hordes are flooding into the valley for this coming week I can see restrictions coming in week after next as numbers are going to go huge!

But there again will all depend on hospitalisations I suppose like the UK?
snow report
bezthespaniard wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Where did you hear that?

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20211225-daily-covid-19-infections-in-france-cross-100-000-barrier

"The latest figures, from France's public health agency, come ahead of a video-conference meeting Monday in which President Emmanuel Macron and key members of his government will discuss new Covid safety measures."
ski holidays
France reporting > 100K cases today. I’d hazard a guess that Monsieur Macron would now be under pressure to impose more restrictions. At least his foresight and strategic vision and incisive action to ban UK visitors earlier this month has worked a treat.
ski holidays
For those snowheads living in the French Alps, are there still a load of Brits who’ve sneaked in through other routes or ruses?

Going by random snowhead posts in the last fortnight, quite a few folk won’t take Macron’s “no” for an answer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy