Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Montan wrote:
@nattib, don’t know if it helps you, from where you are, but Jet 2 still seem to be running flights to Grenoble - could change at any time though, I suppose

I may have missed an earlier part of the thread but Jet2 have nothing listed for Grenoble or Lyon until 8th Jan I think.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure where to put this exactly, but FYI for when we are allowed to travel to France again:

I entered France last week before the rule changes using the Chronomics fit to fly lateral flow (antigen) test. The PDF certificate does not say the word "antigen" anywhere on it, and the BA check-in agent almost denied me boarding. Luckily I was able to pull up an electronic version via the Chronomics website which matched the details on the PDF printed version, plus the important word "antigen". It was a stressful 20 minutes with a long call to the supervisor!

I suspect Verifly would have approved the certificate and I'd have avoided the hassle, but my flight booking was last minute and I didn't have time to do it (incidentally, it would have saved me 40 minutes of queuing at Heathrow too, so definitely worth it!). On the return journey I used Chronomics for the return to UK test, the certificate is identical, and that was verified with Verifly no problem.

Next time I will use a different company that specifically says "antigen" on the certificate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
musehead wrote:
Next time I will use a different company that specifically says "antigen" on the certificate.

How can you find out which companies specify "antigen" on the certificate?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know. Project Screen/Prenetics have Antigen all over the certificate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've found the chronomics certificates to be disappointing in that regard - everything else about their setup is so convenient, slick, well organised and so on until you get the PDF which looks like someone knocked it up in a couple of minutes in Microsoft Word...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My C19 testing certificate I got back last night (took about 2.5 hours after submitting it and this was after 5pm too) definitely has ‘antigen’ on it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skitow, the poster was saying his Wizz Air flights for 15/1 had been cancelled, but Jet 2 are definitely offering Man/GNB flights for that date; you’re right in that they don’t seem to start until 8/1.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry if this has been answered further back but I have a couple of questions

Have the French given any indication on the length of the restrictions on UK travellers entering France ?

Would it be possible to Fly to Geneva , hire a car and drive to out French accommodation ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renry wrote:
Sorry if this has been answered further back but I have a couple of questions

Have the French given any indication on the length of the restrictions on UK travellers entering France ?

Would it be possible to Fly to Geneva , hire a car and drive to out French accommodation ?

No indication of when it'll be reviewed.
UK could (probably will) also stop any non-essential travel outbound straight after Christmas for 3 weeks minimum
Geneva isn't possible I don't think as you'd either be going into the French zone or going into Switzerland and then having to cross the border back into France. I reckon you could probably fly to Italy, hire a car there and drive across the border given Schengen but feels very risky to me (and flights to Italy could stop any minute).

We're supposed to be going mid-Jan and I'm resigned to maybe March, maybe next year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you @paulhinch, I’m maybe panicking a little early, we are due out 11th Feb. Like everyone we was gutted to miss last year
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at the way French numbers have taken off, also wouldn't be surprised if Boris slaps a (reciprocal maybe) ban on travel to UK.

I'm going to be more optimistic and say late Jan a possibility
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boris, I'll have some of that optimism. Hoping to get away on 5th Feb Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wondering if anyone can offer advice. I'm double vaccinated and have had my booster. Unfortunately I also tested positive for covid recently but i'm now testing negative via lateral flows and will be allowed out of my isolation on Boxing Day.
We've got skiing booked for France on Sat 29th Jan (assuming restrictions have been lifted and UK tourists can go). Does anyone know or have any experience of traveling into France if you continue to test positive on a PCR (whilst being recovered and vaccinated / boosted)? Obviously I have no idea if I will test positive or negative by then, but I've read reports that people can continue to test positive upto 90 days after having it. Does anyone know what you could do in such a scenario?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob.m wrote:
Wondering if anyone can offer advice. I'm double vaccinated and have had my booster. Unfortunately I also tested positive for covid recently but i'm now testing negative via lateral flows and will be allowed out of my isolation on Boxing Day.
We've got skiing booked for France on Sat 29th Jan (assuming restrictions have been lifted and UK tourists can go). Does anyone know or have any experience of traveling into France if you continue to test positive on a PCR (whilst being recovered and vaccinated / boosted)? Obviously I have no idea if I will test positive or negative by then, but I've read reports that people can continue to test positive upto 90 days after having it. Does anyone know what you could do in such a scenario?

It’s possible you would continue to be positive but not probable. Most people are negative after isolation. France so far have always accepted antigen less than 24hrs before and antigen tests do not pick it up in the same way.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob.m, In the unlikely event of France changing the entry requirements you still have to do the sworn declaration which includes not being in contact with someone with covid in the last 14 days. As you will be classed as being infected within 14 days of travel it's a bit of a stretch to say you haven't been.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, he is going on 29 Jan, not 29 Dec
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@rob.m, In the unlikely event of France changing the entry requirements you still have to do the sworn declaration which includes not being in contact with someone with covid in the last 14 days. As you will be classed as being infected within 14 days of travel it's a bit of a stretch to say you haven't been.

29 January (not December). Well outside 14 days
ski holidays
Just been with someone in same situation. Tested negative on LFT but positive on PCR for further 2 weeks. After 4 weeks PCR also negative.

France currently requires PCR or LFT in 24 hours before travel.
"2.2. Health control measures
If you are travelling from the UK, whether you are vaccinated or not, you must present a PCR or antigen test dated less than 24 hours."

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from2
snow report
@ecureuil, Oops misread that
ski holidays
Talking to a ski instructor at ADH today he said that they are afraid that the resorts will have to close altogether in January. Reopening for UK visitors in the short term was just not on their radar and he had no idea when that situation would change.
latest report
@rzer, I hope they’re wrong! Ski resorts are not the problem here!
snow conditions
@rzer, There is growing evidence in the UK that the new variant harmless to nearly all and the Media are now starting to change course from the scary headlines to reporting the evidence and even criticising the Welsh and Scots for jumping too early . They won’t admit it but I’m sure the French govt will be watching how things are developing here and will be collecting their own evidence . I would suggest I think there is a good chance that further restrictions will not be introduced in England after Christmas and if are will be light .

In two to three weeks things could be much calmer , they just need to hold their nerve .
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
@rzer, There is growing evidence in the UK that the new variant harmless to nearly all and the Media are now starting to change course from the scary headlines to reporting the evidence and even criticising the Welsh and Scots for jumping too early . They won’t admit it but I’m sure the French govt will be watching how things are developing here and will be collecting their own evidence . I would suggest I think there is a good chance that further restrictions will not be introduced in England after Christmas and if are will be light .

In two to three weeks things could be much calmer , they just need to hold their nerve .

Got a link to any of that?
snow report
@GreenDay,

Omicron up to 70% less likely to need hospital care https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59769969

Sore throat and headache have even chance of being Covid-19, Zoe app scientists warn

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/757e029a-6409-11ec-b279-fa13aec304af?shareToken=fb899b6a6f777d94578c6eca0c1e827b

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/23/omicron-70-per-cent-less-likely-cause-hospitalisation-ukhsa/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/23/mark-drakeford-accused-lying-claim-omicron-probably-severe-delta/
snow conditions
@GreenDay,

I know it’s the telegraph but

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/22/sturgeon-drakeford-drunk-power/
snow conditions
@Rob Mackley, So we have had a few small non peer reviewed studies from which the detail was published less than 24 hours ago.

How they are reported up here (and one of them was Edin Uni) is "qualified" good news - i.e. we dont know for sure yet.

As to the media changing course, jeez you almost had me until you said "I know its the Telegraph but...."

Oh, and that comment piece was by known bampot Jamie Blackett - a right wing lunatic.
snow conditions
@GreenDay, Not the thread to go into it too much . can I ask what’s the general feeling opinion in Edinburgh , do they think Nicola S has restricted too much ?
ski holidays
"There is growing evidence in the UK that the new variant harmless to nearly all"

That's not strictly true is it?

They're saying you're 50% less likely to be hospitalised. However, those who are hospitalised are having the same issues as with other variants (so it's no less harmful when you get to that stage).

Given it's much more transmissible, you've probably got more chance of getting a bad dose of it than with Delta (hence hospitalisations going up).

I doubt anyone looking at a macro view of it and planning hospital capacities etc would be seeing it as less harmful at the moment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any chance we can keep this thread on topic? There's loads of other threads already discussing the ins and outs of Covid and emerging research.
latest report
paulhinch wrote:
"There is growing evidence in the UK that the new variant harmless to nearly all"

Delta is severe for a very small % of cases and the study suggests that Omicron will be severe for an even smaller % of cases. So, in general terms, it’s not unreasonable shorthand IMV to say it’s “harmless to nearly all”
snow conditions
Has the French authorities advised when they will be reviewing the U.K. ban?
ski holidays
Has anybody seen a date that the French are due to review the situation, I'm sure I read somewhere the 7th Jan....
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@rzer, I hope they’re wrong! Ski resorts are not the problem here!

Me too and I totally agree. Travel has been the bogeyman is this whole pandemic but once infection levels reach a certain threshold, in each country, travel restrictions seem pointless.

Hopefully the French open the borders for UK travelers but I haven't heard anyone here thinking it is imminent. We have UK guests at our place in Feb and rightly or wrongly I have advised them to cancel to get their deposit back and perhaps consider a spring skiing trip at Easter when all the panic dies down. We already lost a UK booking for New Year (replaced by Dutch).
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
paulhinch wrote:

Delta is severe for a very small % of cases and the study suggests that Omicron will be severe for an even smaller % of cases. So, in general terms, it’s not unreasonable shorthand IMV to say it’s “harmless to nearly all”

From a leading statistician/analyst (Jamie Jenkins), on Twitter today...

"Breaking - New data shows that as of 02/12/21 of the #Covid19 patients in hospital in Wales, 76.1% were vaccinated with two doses and 16.5% unvaccinated.

The average age of those in hospital with Covid was 74 years

(Source: Public Health Wales)

The unvaccinated population is much lower than the vaccinated population.

The rate of admissions is much higher for those unvaccinated vs those vaccinated.

Two people with similar characteristics - more likely to be admitted if unvaccinated vs vaccinated."
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Any chance we can keep this thread on topic? There's loads of other threads already discussing the ins and outs of Covid and emerging research.

Agreed, most of these should be on the Coronavirus H & W thread - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150990&highlight=

Apologies if mine was in the wrong spot
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Has the French authorities advised when they will be reviewing the U.K. ban?

There was a comment that it could be the 3rd - but to be honest I think what we do next will have the biggest bearing. If Boris puts further restrictions in place from the 27th December, then I can't see France lifting any travel restrictions on us until we lift our own restrictions.
ski holidays
crystal, sunweb, etc. are selling from the weekend of Jan 15th.
So maybe they are hopeful
snow report
My prediction headlines in the next few weeks: France in UK tourist ban climb down! (Complete with a non too complimentary picture of Macron!)
snow report
I'm surprised that France hasn't gone the Austria route - PCR + Booster. Especially as the Booster was a Dec 15 requirement for over 65s.
snow conditions
Or the Swiss route !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy