Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Got a trip booked for the end of Jan and the big concern I've got is if France opens back up but keeps the current 2 day isolation (or worse) period when you first land.

A 6 ski day holiday becomes a 4 ski day holiday

Where do you stand with TO and / or insurance in this instance ?

But i think Macron will do what he did last time - he closed the ski resorts not to stop the spread of COVID but to not put any extra pressure on the hospitals with skiers with broken arms etc turning up.

But i don't have a crystal ball
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wish I had booked italy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I might not have a crystal ball but I do have a £6k Crystal payment out of my credit card account from earlier today.
Payment was due for Tignes in Feb so the trusty CC has had it.

We're just seeing how things go for the next few weeks...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm the same..supposed to go on 5th Feb to les arc....my whistler holiday in January may be decided tomorrow..and they have said so far all restrictions last until at least the 31st Jan..... seems its going to be cancelled..at least I can book a week in Italy or Austria.. just need to know ASAP, ..getting re booked is OK, as long as there's ski carriage availble..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would quite happily give up all restaurant/cafe/bar action if it meant I could ski. So long as I can have a few in the chalet with family/friends, that that would do me fine. I'd even cart around a soggy ham sandwich in a rucksack to eat at lunch if it came to it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yorkshirelad wrote:
I'm the same..supposed to go on 5th Feb to les arc....my whistler holiday in January may be decided tomorrow..and they have said so far all restrictions last until at least the 31st Jan..... seems its going to be cancelled..at least I can book a week in Italy or Austria.. just need to know ASAP, ..getting re booked is OK, as long as there's ski carriage availble..

Where have they said that? I didn't think they had give firm dates.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was the poster referring to France or Canada?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yorkshirelad wrote:
seems its going to be cancelled..at least I can book a week in Italy or Austria.. just need to know ASAP, ..

if the rumours are to be believed then Austria could soon be off the table too..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Handy Turnip wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:
seems its going to be cancelled..at least I can book a week in Italy or Austria.. just need to know ASAP, ..

if the rumours are to be believed then Austria could soon be off the table too..

Indeed! It looks like Austria is adding UK to its red list. What a shame for all those who had rushed to book Austria after France banned us last week! I ended up booking Austria for Feb half term, but not getting my hopes up. The hotel can be cancelled up to the day before so let’s see what happens between now and then! I might just save the money and go on a nice summer holiday instead. Summers seem to be much easier!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiddles wrote:

But i think Macron will do what he did last time - he closed the ski resorts not to stop the spread of COVID but to not put any extra pressure on the hospitals with skiers with broken arms etc turning up.

He has been told in no uncertain terms that this is only acceptable if there is a general travel ban and the Paris transit system is shut! Last year all the resorts were full of french and the list colsures made the covd situation worse!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone crossed to France and taken the test to release after 48 hours??
If so, did the local Prefecture, in response to the "locator" form dictate which test and where?
Or is it left to the individual and simply reported e.g. the certificate from a UK sourced travel LFT??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've still got our March trip planned, but I am not hopeful. I really don't know if I can take the disappointment of postponing our trips to France for the 6th time. Hit lucky with early Autumn 2021 with only test to return and a day 2 pcr and no quarantine, but missed out on the rest. With a new job on the cards, it would probably be easier to just leave it to the summer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems faintly bizarre that France and Germany still have the UK on their red list, while Austria is about to do the same..................all at the time when it is clear that France and Germany have huge Omicron issues of their own.

I genuinely cant see how they can retain the stance longer than early January without looking utterly ridiculous.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.lefigaro.fr/sciences/covid-la-france-incapable-de-reperer-des-milliers-de-cas-du-variant-omicron-20211221
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Suspect UK and Europe will go into some form of lockdown in January so ability to travel likely to be an irrelevance as once you get to where you want to go go, you wont be able to do anything
latest report
GreenDay wrote:
It seems faintly bizarre that France and Germany still have the UK on their red list, while Austria is about to do the same..................all at the time when it is clear that France and Germany have huge Omicron issues of their own.

I genuinely cant see how they can retain the stance longer than early January without looking utterly ridiculous.

Maybe they think adding to their huge Omicron issues are a bad idea?
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

Why do you think the UK removed SA from our red list after 2 weeks?
snow conditions
Charliegolf wrote:
GreenDay wrote:

No, it just a show of doing “something” rather than the nothing in terms of international travel that, in reality, can now be done. Thats management for you.
latest report
Yet Switzerland removed their Quarantine measures for visitors and no Red list countries etc...
snow report
Info on canada from their website... advice on travel came on 15th december.. quebec went into lockdown today
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Yet Switzerland removed their Quarantine measures for visitors and no Red list countries etc...

Yes, when they took a step back and realised that it was
1. Pointless as it was already in (like the UK)
2. Realised that given 1. keeping them would devastate their tourism industry for nothing.

The pre-entry testing regime is somewhat more targeted.
ski holidays
Le Figaro say that 20 per cent of cases are now Omicron, and over a third in Paris and its conurbation. Those figures are only going to go one way. Still, bizarre that Germany has also put restrictions on France given the rates shooting up there.
latest report
Well that was like a proverbial slap on the wrist, best not comment any more after being reprimanded by the headteacher Puzzled wink
latest report
I do think that there is a bit of looking at all this without necessarily acknowledging the full picture. I can understand the view that "All Europe is in the same boat as we are, so what's the point of closing borders?". However, with hospitalisations probably increasing everywhere, will any country want any of those beds being filled by overland/overseas visitors with Covid or with ski injuries, when that could be avoided. It was for that reason, along with the increased testing and the possibility, however small, of having to quarantine in France, that I cancelled my week in Les Arcs last week and also the New Year week which would not anyway be feasible now. Apologies if this comes across as virtue signalling. Were it the other way round, and there was a flood of French/Germans/Dutch etc coming over here and potentially finding themselves in need of hospitalisation, how would people view those individuals taking up our hospital beds when the NHS is already under considerable pressure?
ski holidays
@195062, My point too.
snow report
For me the point is not borders. Just stop people mixing indoors. There is no issue with me going to France to ski just the same as there is no issue me going to the Peak District hiking. The big issue is people spending lots of time in close proximity indoors with lots of other people.
snow report
I think the human psychology includes a "tribal" instinct, where ancient self-preservation leads to distrust of people outside your tribe. Hence creating pointless barriers to foreigners.

It was overtly seen a few weeks ago when Conservative MPs weren't wearing masks on the basis "they knew each other". But then quite a few of them are still stuck in the Neolithic.
ski holidays
@Layne, >The big issue is people spending lots of time in close proximity indoors with lots of other people.
The basics certainly haven't changed.
1.5m/15mins/24 hrs. With Omicron perhaps further apart and shorter time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@195062, I very much hope you are not playing with ladders, kitchen knives or power tools as well then!

@j b, I am completely convinced several tory MPs believe it is 1858 ...
snow report
j b wrote:
It was overtly seen a few weeks ago when Conservative MPs weren't wearing masks on the basis "they knew each other". But then quite a few of them are still stuck in the Neolithic.

Are you sure you don't mean the Paleolithic? Toofy Grin
snow report
@Alastair Pink, no, they are very definitely Victorian.
latest report
Question re Eurotunnel I wondered if anyone can help with. How long before departure do you have to cancel these to get a refund? i.e. how late can I leave it before making a decision? Is it just before departure or is it 24/48 hours - can't find it on their website.

Many thanks!
snow report
@Alastair Pink, you've got me there, I am not sure quite when it was when humans moved from being roaming hunter-gatherer tribes to more static farming communities that interacted with neighbours for trade. But thankfully Rees-Mogg doesn't wear animal skins, though his double-breasted suit and (occasional) top hat is still an anachronism.
snow report
@pdsguy, up to 24 hours from booked departure https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/ff/ffb11852-fc85-420b-bebd-fc1a08980499.PDF
latest report
Thank you @bergenbergen
snow report
Heads up for anyone fly to Grenoble. I have received an email from Wizzair for my flight on 15th Jan to say that it was cancelled and they are offering refunds. No flights available until 5 Feb.
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
@pdsguy, up to 24 hours from booked departure https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/ff/ffb11852-fc85-420b-bebd-fc1a08980499.PDF

Does anyone else understand that to mean up to 24 hours after booked departure, as opposed to before?
snow report
Hi, when I re-arranged a booking (which is possibly along the same lines) I was told it was up to 24 hours after the booked departure - yes, sounds strange but true. So if booked departure is 2pm on Tuesday, you have until 2pm Wednesday to sort.
snow conditions
@nattib, don’t know if it helps you, from where you are, but Jet 2 still seem to be running flights to Grenoble - could change at any time though, I suppose
ski holidays
@Montan Thank you for the tip. We might look at Austria too but later in year if travel in January is not possible.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy